Instead of firing registered sex offender pastor. The solution? ... - TennisForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2012, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
JN
Senior Member
 
JN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicity, mayne
Posts: 27,129
                     
Instead of firing registered sex offender pastor. The solution? ...

Instead of firing registered sex offender pastor. The solution?TELLING FOLKS NOT TO BRING THEIR KIDS TO CHURCH!
___

Kids turned away from church

Court order bans unsupervised contact with children

Published On: Feb 19 2012 04:29:35 PM EST Updated On: Feb 19 2012 09:35:29 PM EST



JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A Northside church has been at the center of a controversy for nearly a month since allowing a registered sex offender to return to the pulpit.

In 2009, Darrell Gilyard pleaded guilty to lewd conduct and lewd molestation. The victims were underage girls in his congregation at Shiloh Baptist Church.

In the past few weeks, Gilyard began preaching at Christ Tabernacle Missionary Baptist Church on the Northside. His new position drew protests from other pastors and the New Black Panther Party.

Since taking the position, Gilyard would not speak to television reporters. Channel 4 looked up his address on the sex offender registry and went to a motel where he was staying in North Jacksonville.

The first time reporters approached Gilyard, he dropped his things and slammed the door. Moments later, he came outside and got into his car without saying a word.

Since joining Christ Tabernacle on North Davis Street, the congregation has had to adapt to changes. Under the terms of Gilyard’s release, court documents show he is not allowed to have “unsupervised contact with children under 18 years old.” The church agreed to ban children from Sunday service.

Sunday, a woman tried to bring a 2-year-old boy she babysits to services, but was turned away.

“They said for the next two weeks, no children are allowed,” Wanda Evans said. “This is the second Sunday, no children, so next week’s Sunday, kids will be able to be allowed.”

Last week, members of the new Black Panther Party of Jacksonville promised to protest every Sunday that Gilyard was a pastor at the church. This Sunday, however, there were no demonstrations.

(Source)



chanda · venus (7) · serena (22) · ana (1) · vera · na (2)

Obama Derangement Syndrome is one of many Scourges Destroying Society.
Have pity for and hug the tormented, today.
JN is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Senior Member
 
mykarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,364
                     
Re: Instead of firing registered sex offender pastor. The solution? ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN View Post
Instead of firing registered sex offender pastor. The solution?TELLING FOLKS NOT TO BRING THEIR KIDS TO CHURCH!
___

Kids turned away from church

Court order bans unsupervised contact with children

Published On: Feb 19 2012 04:29:35 PM EST Updated On: Feb 19 2012 09:35:29 PM EST



JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A Northside church has been at the center of a controversy for nearly a month since allowing a registered sex offender to return to the pulpit.

In 2009, Darrell Gilyard pleaded guilty to lewd conduct and lewd molestation. The victims were underage girls in his congregation at Shiloh Baptist Church.

In the past few weeks, Gilyard began preaching at Christ Tabernacle Missionary Baptist Church on the Northside. His new position drew protests from other pastors and the New Black Panther Party.

Since taking the position, Gilyard would not speak to television reporters. Channel 4 looked up his address on the sex offender registry and went to a motel where he was staying in North Jacksonville.

The first time reporters approached Gilyard, he dropped his things and slammed the door. Moments later, he came outside and got into his car without saying a word.

Since joining Christ Tabernacle on North Davis Street, the congregation has had to adapt to changes. Under the terms of Gilyard’s release, court documents show he is not allowed to have “unsupervised contact with children under 18 years old.” The church agreed to ban children from Sunday service.

Sunday, a woman tried to bring a 2-year-old boy she babysits to services, but was turned away.

“They said for the next two weeks, no children are allowed,” Wanda Evans said. “This is the second Sunday, no children, so next week’s Sunday, kids will be able to be allowed.”

Last week, members of the new Black Panther Party of Jacksonville promised to protest every Sunday that Gilyard was a pastor at the church. This Sunday, however, there were no demonstrations.

(Source)


Have these people lost their ever-loving-minds?

Before you speak to me about your religion, first show it to me in how you treat other people; before you tell me how much you love your God, show me in how much you love all His children; before you preach to me of your passion for your faith, teach me about it through your compassion for your neighbors. In the end, I'm not as interested in what you have to tell or sell as in how you choose to live and give.

Cory Booker
mykarma is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 40,129
                     
Re: Instead of firing registered sex offender pastor. The solution? ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykarma View Post
Have these people lost their ever-loving-minds?
So, they love the sex offender pastor so much, they will sacrifice their children's Sunday school.


They are really out of their mind; somebody to wake them up.

Some religious people can be so irrational.
tennislover22 is offline  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2012, 12:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Helen Lawson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for Shirley
Posts: 19,302
                     
Re: Instead of firing registered sex offender pastor. The solution? ...

At least they are not hypocrites. They are practicing what they preach, forgiveness of all sins. Obviously not popular.

Can't they get a kindly church lady to supervise children attending or something?

Whitney Houston and her receipts:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...17447&page=324
Helen Lawson is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2012, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
JN
Senior Member
 
JN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicity, mayne
Posts: 27,129
                     
Re: Instead of firing registered sex offender pastor. The solution? ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykarma View Post
Have these people lost their ever-loving-minds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
So, they love the sex offender pastor so much, they will sacrifice their children's Sunday school.


They are really out of their mind; somebody to wake them up.

Some religious people can be so irrational.
Notice that there are 2 different churches mentioned... the one where the victims congregated and the one that allowed him back behind the pulpit. Makes you wonder if there's any blackmail involved.

chanda · venus (7) · serena (22) · ana (1) · vera · na (2)

Obama Derangement Syndrome is one of many Scourges Destroying Society.
Have pity for and hug the tormented, today.
JN is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2012, 02:50 AM
Serena's #1 Hater
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 19,717
                     
Re: Instead of firing registered sex offender pastor. The solution? ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson View Post
At least they are not hypocrites. They are practicing what they preach, forgiveness of all sins. Obviously not popular.

Can't they get a kindly church lady to supervise children attending or something?
First of all, Helen, he's not back at the church where he did his damage; those are the people he needs to seek forgiveness from, and by going to another church, Mr. Gilyard has chosen not to do that. Second of all, it appears to me as if Mr. Gilyard loves hearing the title "Pastor" before his name more than he loves actually pastoring a church, because there's no way, NO WAY, any real pastor would ever allow himself or herself to be a hindrance to others. The good people at Christ Tabernacle Missionary Baptist Church ought to be ashamed of themselves for turning ANYONE away at the door.

"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Senior Member
 
mykarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,364
                     
Re: Instead of firing registered sex offender pastor. The solution? ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
First of all, Helen, he's not back at the church where he did his damage; those are the people he needs to seek forgiveness from, and by going to another church, Mr. Gilyard has chosen not to do that. Second of all, it appears to me as if Mr. Gilyard loves hearing the title "Pastor" before his name more than he loves actually pastoring a church, because there's no way, NO WAY, any real pastor would ever allow himself or herself to be a hindrance to others. The good people at Christ Tabernacle Missionary Baptist Church ought to be ashamed of themselves for turning ANYONE away at the door.
I hope Helen was just looking for a response.

Before you speak to me about your religion, first show it to me in how you treat other people; before you tell me how much you love your God, show me in how much you love all His children; before you preach to me of your passion for your faith, teach me about it through your compassion for your neighbors. In the end, I'm not as interested in what you have to tell or sell as in how you choose to live and give.

Cory Booker
mykarma is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Senior Member
 
$uricate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Under the sea.
Posts: 20,373
                     
Re: Instead of firing registered sex offender pastor. The solution? ...

Everybody wins

I was made to go to Sunday school my whole childhood and I hated it.

I had the demon inside

Danielle Ma$ha SvittyGOAT Pushu PirruGinnyBooze
$uricate is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Helen Lawson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for Shirley
Posts: 19,302
                     
Re: Instead of firing registered sex offender pastor. The solution? ...

Maybe the guy is sorry and will never do it again. Like it or not, sex offenders don't get the death penalty and they don't get a life sentence. They have to earn a living somehow. If you are supposed to forgive, well, then he was the right hire. Maybe the guy doesn't know ow to do anything else.

Whitney Houston and her receipts:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...17447&page=324
Helen Lawson is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Serena's #1 Hater
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 19,717
                     
Re: Instead of firing registered sex offender pastor. The solution? ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson View Post
Maybe the guy is sorry and will never do it again. Like it or not, sex offenders don't get the death penalty and they don't get a life sentence. They have to earn a living somehow. If you are supposed to forgive, well, then he was the right hire. Maybe the guy doesn't know ow to do anything else.
By that line of reasoning, Conrad Murray should be allowed to practice medicine after he gets out of prison. As far as Mr. Gilyard's ability to earn a living:

www.monster.com

"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Helen Lawson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for Shirley
Posts: 19,302
                     
Re: Instead of firing registered sex offender pastor. The solution? ...

He didn't kill people by being a pastor and preaching the word of God.

Whitney Houston and her receipts:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...17447&page=324
Helen Lawson is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Sammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Self-made gilded cage
Posts: 34,397
                     
Re: Instead of firing registered sex offender pastor. The solution? ...



No seriously, this is so pathetic

The belief that man is an irresolute creature pulled this way and that by two forces of equal strength, alternately winning and losing the battle for his soul; the conviction that human life is nothing more than an uncertain struggle between heaven and hell; the faith in two opposed entities, Satan and Christ - all this was bound to engender those internal discords in which the mind, excited by the incessant fighting, stimulated as it were by the constant promises and threats, ends up by giving in and prostitutes itself to whichever of the two combatants has been more obstinate in its pursuit. Life isn't black and white, it's gold.
Sammo is online now  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2012, 01:22 AM
Senior Member
 
mykarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,364
                     
Re: Instead of firing registered sex offender pastor. The solution? ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson View Post
He didn't kill people by being a pastor and preaching the word of God.
Let him go preach to sex offenders, they certainly could use it. I wouldn't have that man around my children.

Before you speak to me about your religion, first show it to me in how you treat other people; before you tell me how much you love your God, show me in how much you love all His children; before you preach to me of your passion for your faith, teach me about it through your compassion for your neighbors. In the end, I'm not as interested in what you have to tell or sell as in how you choose to live and give.

Cory Booker
mykarma is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome