What Is The Last Book or Books You Bought? - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 389 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2010, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Barrie_Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fenway Park
Posts: 154,620
                     
What Is The Last Book or Books You Bought?

Just out of curiosity more than anything. I was just at my favorite bookstore yesterday and purchased 4 books. I was wondering, for those of us that red for pleasure, wht types of books we buy and who are our favorite authors. Certainly my favorite authour is Larry McMurtry as I have 27 of his books and, with one exception (W.E.B. Griffin) I own no more than 3 of any other author. Mr Griffin I own 7. At any rate, I will list the last books I bought as they were in one purchase:

"In A Narrow Grave: Essays On Texas" by Larry McMurtry
"Boones Lick" by Larry McMurtry
"Cannery Row" by John Steinbeck
"John Lennon" by Pullip Norman
Barrie_Dude is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 389 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2010, 03:47 AM
HEADBANGER
 
Frode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Same Same
Posts: 59,449
                     
Re: What Is The Last Book or Books You Bought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie_Dude View Post
Just out of curiosity more than anything. I was just at my favorite bookstore yesterday and purchased 4 books. I was wondering, for those of us that red for pleasure, wht types of books we buy and who are our favorite authors. Certainly my favorite authour is Larry McMurtry as I have 27 of his books and, with one exception (W.E.B. Griffin) I own no more than 3 of any other author. Mr Griffin I own 7. At any rate, I will list the last books I bought as they were in one purchase:

"In A Narrow Grave: Essays On Texas" by Larry McMurtry
"Boones Lick" by Larry McMurtry
"Cannery Row" by John Steinbeck
"John Lennon" by Pullip Norman
You have something to look forward to in that one

Steinbeck

FUTURE CONCERTS

LACUNA COIL - VERFTET, BERGEN - SEPTEMBER 9
PLACEBO - SENTRUM SCENE, OSLO - OCTOBER 16
WOLFMOTHER - VERFTET, BERGEN - NOVEMBER 29
Frode is offline  
post #3 of 389 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Senior Member
 
~{X}~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: In The N.Y.C.
Posts: 21,327
                     
Re: What Is The Last Book or Books You Bought?

My favorite author is Steven Saylor, he writes mostly historical fiction mysteries set in the Ancient Roman Empire. His series called the Roma Sub Rosa Series is my favorite and it includes 12 books, he is also the author of ROMA and the upcoming EMPIRE. And I personally communicate with him.

The last 4 books I bought were:

"The Silver Eagle" by Ben Kane
"Lives of the Later Caesars" by unknown authors(Its by historical authors.)
"A Day in the Life of Ancient Rome" by Alberto Angela
"Alexandria" by Justin Pollard and Howard Reid

SERENA 22 GRAND SLAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOZNIACKI BOUCHARD VENUS
~{X}~ is online now  
post #4 of 389 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2010, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Barrie_Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fenway Park
Posts: 154,620
                     
Re: What Is The Last Book or Books You Bought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frode View Post
You have something to look forward to in that one

Steinbeck
Yeah, I like Steinbeck. I also have "Grapes of Wrath" and "Of Mice and Men"
Barrie_Dude is online now  
post #5 of 389 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2010, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Barrie_Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fenway Park
Posts: 154,620
                     
Re: What Is The Last Book or Books You Bought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~{X}~tianuccio View Post
My favorite author is Steven Saylor, he writes mostly historical fiction mysteries set in the Ancient Roman Empire. His series called the Roma Sub Rosa Series is my favorite and it includes 12 books, he is also the author of ROMA and the upcoming EMPIRE. And I personally communicate with him.

The last 4 books I bought were:

"The Silver Eagle" by Ben Kane
"Lives of the Later Caesars" by unknown authors(Its by historical authors.)
"A Day in the Life of Ancient Rome" by Alberto Angela
"Alexandria" by Justin Pollard and Howard Reid
Sounds interesting..... Did you see any of the HBO seris on Rome?
Barrie_Dude is online now  
post #6 of 389 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Senior Member
 
~{X}~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: In The N.Y.C.
Posts: 21,327
                     
Re: What Is The Last Book or Books You Bought?

Of course I did! I own both season on DVD.

As well I have watched Spartacus: Blood and Sand. I'm a huge fan of Ancient Rome and I am obsessed with reading and learning and studying more and more.

SERENA 22 GRAND SLAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOZNIACKI BOUCHARD VENUS
~{X}~ is online now  
post #7 of 389 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Polikarpov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,440
                     
Re: What Is The Last Book or Books You Bought?

The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov
The Complete Short Novels - Anton Chekhov
In The Miso Soup - Ryu Murakami
Shogun - James Clavell
Teach Us How To Outgrow Our Madness - Kenzaburo Oe

Still haven't read any of those yet. I have this bad habit of buying more books than I could read in a month. I really should start clearing my backlog before buying new ones, but I can't help it when I go inside a bookstore.

Last edited by Polikarpov; Jul 19th, 2010 at 10:29 AM.
Polikarpov is offline  
post #8 of 389 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Senior Member
 
skanky~skanketta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Not paradise thats fo sho
Posts: 15,459
                     
Re: What Is The Last Book or Books You Bought?

Archie Pals and Gals, Double digest. I saw that it was on sale and bought a whole bunch!

skanky~skanketta is offline  
post #9 of 389 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Kylger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 10,090
                     
Re: What Is The Last Book or Books You Bought?

Just last week bought 8 books for absolutely no reason

I read when I am bored to death, most of the time they just collect dust, but anyways.

Bought the Twilight saga, (prelude to LOTR) The Hobbit, Devil Wears Prada and 2 more from the same autor. DOn't remember the names on those

Good luck Kaia and Anett in 2014.
Also Wozniacki, Jankovic, Ivanovic, Stosur, Gajdosova and K-Kookie!!
---------
TT: Rank Singles 137 (High: 31), Doubles 30 (High: 5)
Best run singles: WTA: W - Tashkent '11, F - Seoul '10, QF - Roland Garros '10, Madrid '11, R4 - Wimbledon '10; ITF: F - Barnstable '11, QF Biberach, Torhout, Cagnes-sur-Mer '10
Doubles: WTA: W: Wimbledon' 12 (w/Kevin.), Bad Gastein '11, Bali (TC) '11, Guangzhou (w/Blackeagle) '10, RU - Madrid '11, Seoul '10, ITF - W: Nassau '11; Minsk'10 (w/Blackeagle)
Kylger is offline  
post #10 of 389 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Senior Member
 
skanky~skanketta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Not paradise thats fo sho
Posts: 15,459
                     
Re: What Is The Last Book or Books You Bought?

Oh, and I got Chasing Harry Winston.

skanky~skanketta is offline  
post #11 of 389 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2010, 12:06 PM
stubborn procrastinator
 
Kuilli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: dead end
Posts: 80,541
                     
Re: What Is The Last Book or Books You Bought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie_Dude View Post
Yeah, I like Steinbeck. I also have "Grapes of Wrath" and "Of Mice and Men"
Good books.

My most recent ones:

Corduroy Mansions by Alexander McCall Smith
Worst Case: A Detective Michael Bennett Novel by James Patterson
9th Judgement (Womens Murder Club) by James Patterson

All light reading.

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.
Be kind.
Always.
Kuilli is offline  
post #12 of 389 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Polikarpov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,440
                     
Re: What Is The Last Book or Books You Bought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuilli View Post
Good books.

My most recent ones:

Corduroy Mansions by Alexander McCall Smith
Worst Case: A Detective Michael Bennett Novel by James Patterson
9th Judgement (Womens Murder Club) by James Patterson

All light reading.
The Women's Murder Club is already at its ninth installment? The last one I've read was the 4th of July, and I can't even remember the plot anymore. Have you already read all of Women's Murder Club?
Polikarpov is offline  
post #13 of 389 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2010, 06:24 PM
stubborn procrastinator
 
Kuilli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: dead end
Posts: 80,541
                     
Re: What Is The Last Book or Books You Bought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polikarpov View Post
The Women's Murder Club is already at its ninth installment? The last one I've read was the 4th of July, and I can't even remember the plot anymore. Have you already read all of Women's Murder Club?
Yep, it's the ninth one already. You know Patterson, it doesn't take the writers he uses him long to come out with a new book. I have read all nine.

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.
Be kind.
Always.
Kuilli is offline  
post #14 of 389 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Always and forever.
 
LefandePatty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 31,805
                     
Re: What Is The Last Book or Books You Bought?

Unspoken - Sam Hayes
LefandePatty is offline  
post #15 of 389 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Polikarpov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,440
                     
Re: What Is The Last Book or Books You Bought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuilli View Post
Yep, it's the ninth one already. You know Patterson, it doesn't take the writers he uses him long to come out with a new book. I have read all nine.
Ha! Does he really let his "collaborators" do all the work? Anyway, what can you recommend among 5,6,7,8, and 9? I don't think I'd want to read all of them.
Polikarpov is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome