HELP! Buying a Laptop - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2009, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
skanky~skanketta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Not paradise thats fo sho
Posts: 15,453
                     
HELP! Buying a Laptop

Ok, so I have a regular laptop that I use, Dell but I know nothing abt it. Now my bosses have asked to to source for the latest (non-Dell) laptop in the market with all the best specs.

Please help me.

skanky~skanketta is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 04:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 22,383
                     
Re: HELP! Buying a Laptop

Mac.Mac.Mac.Mac.Mac





Xxx
Antarctica is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 05:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Barrie_Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fenway Park
Posts: 150,666
                     
Re: HELP! Buying a Laptop

Mac.Mac.Mac.Mac.

In fact, all my friends that work for Microsoft have Apple Macs and swear by them. However, you will have to get Microsoft Office For Mac as a seperate part of the package
Barrie_Dude is offline  
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 05:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,380
                     
Re: HELP! Buying a Laptop

The obvious answer is Mac but most people are too cheap for them.
kris719 is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 05:33 PM
12 and countin'
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 30,662
                     
Re: HELP! Buying a Laptop

What do you need it for? Reply and i'll help
youizahoe is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 01:24 AM
Senior Member
 
iGOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Team Vika
Posts: 29,474
                     
Re: HELP! Buying a Laptop

Mac.Mac.Mac.Mac.Mac.

Yes it costs more, but it is soooo worth it.

My number one: Victoria Azarenka

ATP: Novak Djoković

Crazy Frenchies! Gilles Simon Alizé Cornet
iGOAT is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 02:58 AM
12 and countin'
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 30,662
                     
Re: HELP! Buying a Laptop

I wouldn't advise Macbook, it's decent, but a Sony Vaio is cheaper and has better specs, and is a lot cheaper in repair. For example, there are many battery issues. If you have it with a macbook, your repair costs are at least €150 while with Sony it's €50 repair and replace.

Whatever you buy, don't buy HP, Dell or any laptop with AMD processor.

1. Sony
2. Apple
3. Asus

That's my preference, and I have tons of laptops at home
youizahoe is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 03:00 AM
Look who's back!
 
Sean.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 32,454
                     
Re: HELP! Buying a Laptop

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but doesn't the spec of a laptop/pc depend on what you put in it?



Vera Zvonareva * Ana Ivanović * Li Na * Laura Robson ......
Sean. is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 03:06 AM
Senior Member
 
lympyisthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 10,565
                     
Re: HELP! Buying a Laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashaRena. View Post
I wouldn't advise Macbook, it's decent, but a Sony Vaio is cheaper and has better specs, and is a lot cheaper in repair. For example, there are many battery issues. If you have it with a macbook, your repair costs are at least €150 while with Sony it's €50 repair and replace.

Whatever you buy, don't buy HP, Dell or any laptop with AMD processor.

1. Sony
2. Apple
3. Asus

That's my preference, and I have tons of laptops at home
I've had a problem with my Macbook keyboard and disk drive and each time Apple has replaced it free of charge under Applecare.
lympyisthebest is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 04:25 AM
I did it for the aesthetics.
 
the jamierbelyea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 6,842
                     
Re: HELP! Buying a Laptop

I used to have the white MacBook, and currently have the newer Aluminum MacBook. I swear by Mac products. My old MacBook was 2 years old and works amazingly well and is faster and stronger then my sister's new PC laptop.

You can customize the specs anyway you like, and utilizing Time Machine has saved my butt so many times.

The only people I know who have had a MacBook battery problem are people who didn't realize it's a lithium battery, and did not know or care to calibrate their battery 1-3 times a month. It's simple, and helps maintain it.
the jamierbelyea is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 04:30 AM
Senior Member
 
iGOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Team Vika
Posts: 29,474
                     
Re: HELP! Buying a Laptop

Yeah I have a MacBook, it's almost three years old, I love it. My Dad got an Acer and I was on it the first day and it was way slower than mine.

Also like a year ago my battery died and I just showed up at the store, they put in a new one, and told me I could go. No charge or anything. But yes, I would say a Vaio is probably my second choice .

My number one: Victoria Azarenka

ATP: Novak Djoković

Crazy Frenchies! Gilles Simon Alizé Cornet
iGOAT is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 01:14 PM
12 and countin'
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 30,662
                     
Re: HELP! Buying a Laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lympyisthebest View Post
I've had a problem with my Macbook keyboard and disk drive and each time Apple has replaced it free of charge under Applecare.
And that costs €300 a year. Don't fool yourself, with Sony you get it for free, they will always check for free whether you did the damage yourself or not. If it's your fault they'll contact you and tell you how much it'll cost to repair, and if it's not your fault, they repair it for free.
youizahoe is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 01:16 PM
12 and countin'
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 30,662
                     
Re: HELP! Buying a Laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean. View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but doesn't the spec of a laptop/pc depend on what you put in it?
THat's with desktops. With laptops its important you have a very good chipset, you can put in the best specs as you wish, if the chipset and mainboard isn't good enough, it'll still be a crappy laptop.

And it's hard to put in better specs(hardware) with laptops, cause you mostly need to stick with their brands, cause not all laptops have the same amount of space of slots to place in stuff
youizahoe is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 01:17 PM
12 and countin'
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 30,662
                     
Re: HELP! Buying a Laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSzávay. View Post
Yeah I have a MacBook, it's almost three years old, I love it. My Dad got an Acer and I was on it the first day and it was way slower than mine.

Also like a year ago my battery died and I just showed up at the store, they put in a new one, and told me I could go. No charge or anything. But yes, I would say a Vaio is probably my second choice .
That's the same with any other brand, cause a battery has a guarantee for at least 2 years, depending on the region you are in.
youizahoe is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 02:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Edward.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 12,473
                     
Re: HELP! Buying a Laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashaRena. View Post
And that costs €300 a year. Don't fool yourself, with Sony you get it for free, they will always check for free whether you did the damage yourself or not. If it's your fault they'll contact you and tell you how much it'll cost to repair, and if it's not your fault, they repair it for free.
Any Sony laptop will be running Vista, which is an automatic fail.

Go mac.mac.mac.mac.mac.mac.

Maria Sharapova


Official Wiseguy of the Maria Mafia.
1305 ..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Edward. is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome