Re: Forbes Celebrity 100 - Angelina Jolie #1 - 2009 Edition
Unfortunately these lists are always the opinions of just a few people, based on little fact and research.
"New York Times": Shakira's fans await her arrival at the school.
Fact of the matter is that Shakira
(yes, she's still alive) never makes these lists, and it shows how fallacious these lists always are. Because she's such a humble person, people forget about her amazing efforts.
In last 12 months: SHAKIRA
- On her 32nd birthday this year, with her own charity and proceeds, she opened up a $6 million dollar school in her Colombian hometown just a few months ago. It has already been visited by the former president of the United States, Bill Clinton. The school provides world class facilities for 1,800 students.
- Shakira served as the Honorary Chairperson for Action Week 2008 (April 21-27). She spoke with the U.S. Congress, British Prime Minister Gordon Brown (as well as having an interview with him), and World Bank President Robert Zoellick to promote a move towards Global Education. Angelina Jolie (yes, the #1 most powerful celebrity apparently) served as last year's chair.
- People En Español announced in their December 2008/January 2009 issue that Shakira is the "Humanitarian of the Year" as part of their "Las Estrellas del Año" (Stars of the Year) awards.
- Shakira performed twice at Barack Obama's Inaugration (being the only non-American to do so, I think?)
- She has given tens of speeches emphasising the importance of education at events such as the Ibero-American summit (most Latin American presidents including prime minister and king of Spain, the prime minister of Portugal and others)
- A few months ago, she formally received a medal for national service from her president, how many of these celebrities can say that?
And she doesn't even make the list? I think it's safe to say that Shakira is a hell of a lot more powerful than 90% of the people listed here
Sorry, I just had to tell it how it is.
Cibulkova. Cepede Royg. Konta. Safarova. Kvitova. Peng. Bacsinszky. Osaka. Wozniacki. Puig.