Questions about Elizabeth-The movie - TennisForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2009, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Caillou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,530
                     
Questions about Elizabeth-The movie

I have to write a review for english about the movie Elizabeth (1998). In this review I have to include why the director chose to use the color red throughout the movie, indentify themes and moods he is trying to create by contrasting red to white and black or to other colours and decide whether or not it was effective.

I am having a hard time getting started and if any of you guys have idea's or are famaliar with the film, could you help? this is my second time asking for help and I appreciated it very much the first time. Thanks in advance all fo you! I owe you guys!!

S.V W 4 EVER

Welcome Back Kimmy!
Caillou is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 33
                     
Re: Questions about Elizabeth-The movie

Was, IMDB no help? There's, usually all you need to know on there.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0127536/
Grafitini is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2009, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Caillou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,530
                     
Re: Questions about Elizabeth-The movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafitini View Post
Was, IMDB no help? There's, usually all you need to know on there.
thanks! i will take a look

S.V W 4 EVER

Welcome Back Kimmy!
Caillou is offline  
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 33
                     
Re: Questions about Elizabeth-The movie

You know something, I'm a movie addict but, I've yet to watch this. My brothers seen it about 10 time, and keeps recommending it to me.
Grafitini is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2009, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Caillou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,530
                     
Re: Questions about Elizabeth-The movie

ahaha just my luck! its a good movie so i agree watch it

S.V W 4 EVER

Welcome Back Kimmy!
Caillou is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2009, 05:16 AM
¡Davai!
 
Danči Dementia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: en la chingada
Posts: 14,081
                     
Re: Questions about Elizabeth-The movie

Elizabeth is a great film

and Cate Blanchett´s performance was the best performance if that year the hell with Gwyneth Platrow winning the oscar

♥♥♥
Dementieva -Hantuchova - Hingis - Ivanovic - Vaidisova*
Que el aire es de cristal, que puede estallar.....que aunque mis labios no hablen te quiero devorar.

Danči Dementia is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Senior Member
 
fifiricci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cymru
Posts: 8,570
                     
Re: Questions about Elizabeth-The movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Dementia View Post
Elizabeth is a great film

and Cate Blanchett´s performance was the best performance if that year the hell with Gwyneth Platrow winning the oscar
Indeed, lol! Ditto with Judi Dench (who's a great actress, but did she really do her best work in this film?) Never understood myself what all the fuss is about re Gwyneth. And quite frankly her and Chris bloody Martin get on my nerves.
In my day (I sound like Queen Victoria now), we couldn't use the net to get our homework done. Think for yourself, thread starter!!

Patiently waiting to join the silver surfers
fifiricci is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter
 
Sam L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 35,051
                     
Re: Questions about Elizabeth-The movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caillou View Post
I have to write a review for english about the movie Elizabeth (1998). In this review I have to include why the director chose to use the color red throughout the movie, indentify themes and moods he is trying to create by contrasting red to white and black or to other colours and decide whether or not it was effective.

I am having a hard time getting started and if any of you guys have idea's or are famaliar with the film, could you help? this is my second time asking for help and I appreciated it very much the first time. Thanks in advance all fo you! I owe you guys!!
Well one thing is that red and white are the colors of the English flag. She was the last English Queen and married to England so to speak rather than a man so that's one angle you could use.

If you're writing a review, you should concentrate on whether the film captures the spirit of the Elizabethan times especially her early reign.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Elizabethan history but you should concentrate on how the filmmaker captured the mood of uncertainty and precariousness. That was exactly what her first few years were like.

There are a lot of angles you can take, that's just a few of them. PM me if you're still having problems.
Sam L is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2009, 11:57 AM
NeverWoz
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 26,692
                     
Re: Questions about Elizabeth-The movie

I took a philosophy class that was based around watching historical movies, and Elizabeth was one of them...so here's my take.


I think one of the big reasons Red is a prominent color in the movie is because of how Elizabeth came to be Queen - Mary was an absolute butcher, killing Protestants left, right and center (maybe not THAT bad, but check it up historically), wasn't she called Bloody Mary? Anyway I think like Sam said, the color red indicates not only bloodshed, but conflict and a 'state of war'. Elizabeth took the throne at a very precarious time, and had to navigate several religious and political factions against one another to stay on top.

Does your teacher mention contrasting red, white and black? I think that's pretty crucial too: black, in many cases, means secrecy/mystery, which pretty accurately describes the political intrigues of Elizabethan England. So to me black/shadows in the movie represent the secrecy, deceit and manipulating (mostly with Wolsingham?) that went on to take down Elizabeth / keep her on the throne.

White often is meant to represent purity, almost to a holy level. This obviously is meant to represent Elizabeth as the Virgin Queen - whether she was actually a virgin is irrelevant - the most important thing is her oath/pledge/commitment to her country and people to be wed to THEM, and to no one else. I think in the movie Elizabeth is portrayed as having very human flaws, and she realizes she can't fulfill her duty to her country and people if she is focused/distracted by men, or "temptations of the flesh". To combat this she pledges to never wed any man, and remains pure for England. This not only makes her focused on ruling her nation, but MOST importantly it gives her an "aura" - makes her more divine/holy than anyone else - this is critical for a woman ruling in such a chaotic time IMO, because she needs to be seen as a symbol, and not as a woman.

Uh, end/rant. Make sense at all?
Ryan is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 424
                     
Re: Questions about Elizabeth-The movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I took a philosophy class that was based around watching historical movies, and Elizabeth was one of them...so here's my take.


I think one of the big reasons Red is a prominent color in the movie is because of how Elizabeth came to be Queen - Mary was an absolute butcher, killing Protestants left, right and center (maybe not THAT bad, but check it up historically), wasn't she called Bloody Mary? Anyway I think like Sam said, the color red indicates not only bloodshed, but conflict and a 'state of war'. Elizabeth took the throne at a very precarious time, and had to navigate several religious and political factions against one another to stay on top.

Does your teacher mention contrasting red, white and black? I think that's pretty crucial too: black, in many cases, means secrecy/mystery, which pretty accurately describes the political intrigues of Elizabethan England. So to me black/shadows in the movie represent the secrecy, deceit and manipulating (mostly with Wolsingham?) that went on to take down Elizabeth / keep her on the throne.

White often is meant to represent purity, almost to a holy level. This obviously is meant to represent Elizabeth as the Virgin Queen - whether she was actually a virgin is irrelevant - the most important thing is her oath/pledge/commitment to her country and people to be wed to THEM, and to no one else. I think in the movie Elizabeth is portrayed as having very human flaws, and she realizes she can't fulfill her duty to her country and people if she is focused/distracted by men, or "temptations of the flesh". To combat this she pledges to never wed any man, and remains pure for England. This not only makes her focused on ruling her nation, but MOST importantly it gives her an "aura" - makes her more divine/holy than anyone else - this is critical for a woman ruling in such a chaotic time IMO, because she needs to be seen as a symbol, and not as a woman.

Uh, end/rant. Make sense at all?
I think that pretty much sums it up. If the OP just copies this they will get top marks!
Hazel is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Solitaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,306
                     
Re: Questions about Elizabeth-The movie

Another good thing to look at in terms of coloring are the costume changes. The director was always setting a mood with the color choice of each piece Elizabeth wore. From the light care free colors of her youth to the Saint like white at the end of the film.

The woods are hopeless. Don't waste your time, they will be destroyed. So will the marsh. It is a losing game mankind has played for more than a century. Sadness is what you are, do not deny it. The universe is a lonely place, a painful place. This is what we can share between us, period.
Solitaire is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Colombia
Posts: 4,616
                     
Re: Questions about Elizabeth-The movie

Balnchett was perfect in that movie She was stolen at the Oscars

Maria Sharapova
alfonsojose is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2009, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Caillou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,530
                     
Re: Questions about Elizabeth-The movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I took a philosophy class that was based around watching historical movies, and Elizabeth was one of them...so here's my take.


I think one of the big reasons Red is a prominent color in the movie is because of how Elizabeth came to be Queen - Mary was an absolute butcher, killing Protestants left, right and center (maybe not THAT bad, but check it up historically), wasn't she called Bloody Mary? Anyway I think like Sam said, the color red indicates not only bloodshed, but conflict and a 'state of war'. Elizabeth took the throne at a very precarious time, and had to navigate several religious and political factions against one another to stay on top.

Does your teacher mention contrasting red, white and black? I think that's pretty crucial too: black, in many cases, means secrecy/mystery, which pretty accurately describes the political intrigues of Elizabethan England. So to me black/shadows in the movie represent the secrecy, deceit and manipulating (mostly with Wolsingham?) that went on to take down Elizabeth / keep her on the throne.

White often is meant to represent purity, almost to a holy level. This obviously is meant to represent Elizabeth as the Virgin Queen - whether she was actually a virgin is irrelevant - the most important thing is her oath/pledge/commitment to her country and people to be wed to THEM, and to no one else. I think in the movie Elizabeth is portrayed as having very human flaws, and she realizes she can't fulfill her duty to her country and people if she is focused/distracted by men, or "temptations of the flesh". To combat this she pledges to never wed any man, and remains pure for England. This not only makes her focused on ruling her nation, but MOST importantly it gives her an "aura" - makes her more divine/holy than anyone else - this is critical for a woman ruling in such a chaotic time IMO, because she needs to be seen as a symbol, and not as a woman.

Uh, end/rant. Make sense at all?
lmfao, i love you! helped a lot

S.V W 4 EVER

Welcome Back Kimmy!
Caillou is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Mr.Kardashian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,564
                     
Re: Questions about Elizabeth-The movie

Cate Blanchett

camera angles are important in this film the emphasis on powerplay and status - and lighting/shadows. as a period piece mise en scene is always worth talking about too
Mr.Kardashian is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome