white privilege - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 161 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2008, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mykarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,276
                     
white privilege

White privilege is when you can get pregnant at seventeen like Bristol Palin and everyone is quick to insist that your life and that of your family is a personal matter, and that no one has a right to
judge you, or your parents, because "every family has challenges," even as black
and Latino families with similar "challenges" are regularly typified as irresponsible, pathological and arbiters of social decay.
>
White privilege is when you can call yourself a "fuckin' redneck," like Bristol Palin's boyfriend does, who likes to
"kick ass" if people mess with you, and who likes to "shoot shit," for fun, and still be
viewed as a responsible, all-American boy (and a great son-in-law to be) rather than a thug.

White privilege is when you can attend four different colleges in six years like Sarah Palin did (one of which you basically failed out of, then returned to after making up some coursework at a community college), and no one questions your intelligence or commitment to achievement, whereas a person of color who did this would
be viewed as unfit for college, and probably someone who only got in in the first place because of affirmative action.
>
>
White privilege is when you can claim that being mayor of a town smaller than most medium-sized colleges, and then Governor of a state with about the same number of people as the lower fifth of the island
of Manhattan makes you ready to potentially be president, and people don't all piss on themselves with laughter, while being a black U.S. Senator, two-term state Senator, and constitutional law scholar, means you're "untested."
>
>
> White privilege is being able to say that you support the words "under God" in the pledge of allegiance because "if it was good enough or the founding fathers, it's good enough for me," and not be immediately disqualified from holding office since, after all, the pledge was written in the late 1800s and the "under God" part wasn't added until

the 1950swhile believing that reading accused criminals and terrorists their rights (because, ya know, the
constitution, which you used to teach at a prestigious law school) requires it, is a dangerous and silly idea only supported by mushy liberals.
>
>
> White privilege is being able to be a gun enthusiast and not make people immediately scared of you.

White privilege is being able to have a husband who was a member of an extremist political party that wanted
your state to secede from the union, and whose motto was " Alaska first," and no one questions your patriotism or that of your family, while if you're black and your spouse merely fails to come to a 9/11 memorial so she can
be home with her kids on the first day of school, people immediately think she's being disrespectful.
>
White privilege is being able to make fun of community organizers and the work they dolike, among other things, fight for the right of women to vote, or for civil rights, or the 8-hour workday, or an end to child laborand people think you're being pithy and tough, but if you merely question the experience of a small town mayor and 18-month governor with no foreign policy expertise beyond a class she took in collegeyou're somehow being mean, or even sexist.
>
>
White privilege is being able to convince white women who don't even agree with you on any substantive issue to vote for you and your running mate anyway, because all of a sudden your presence on the ticket has inspired confidence in these same white women, and made them give your party a "second look."
>

> White privilege is being able to fire people who didn't support your political campaigns and not be accused of abusing your power or being a typical politician who engages in favoritism, while being black and merely knowing some folks from the old-line political machines in Chicago means you must be corrupt.


White privilege is being able to attend churches over the years whose pastors say that people who voted for John Kerry or merely criticize George W. Bush are going to hell, and that the U.S. is an explicitly Christian nation and the job of Christians is to bring Christian theological principles into government, and who bring in speakers who
say the conflict in the Middle East is God's punishment on Jews for rejecting Jesus, and everyone can still think you're just a good church-going Christian, but if you're black and friends with a black pastor who has noted (as have Colin Powell and the U.S. Department of Defense) that terrorist attacks are often the result of U.S. foreign
policy and who talks about the history of racism and its effect on black people, you're an extremist who probably hates America .
>

White privilege is not knowing what the Bush Doctrine is when asked by a reporter, and then people get angry at the reporter for asking you such a "trick question," while being black and merely refusing to give one-word answers to the queries of Bill O'Reilly means you're dodging the question, or trying to seem overly intellectual and
nuanced.

White privilege is being able to claim your experience as a POW has anything at all to do with your fitness for president, while being black and experiencing racism is, as Sarah Palin has referred to it a "light" burden.

And finally, white privilege is the only thing that could possible allow someone to become president when he has voted with George W. Bush 90 percent of the time, even as unemployment is skyrocketing, people are losing their homes, inflation is rising, and the U.S. is increasingly isolated from world opinion, just because white voters
>
aren't sure about that whole "change" thing. Ya know, it's just too vague and ill-defined, unlike, say, four more years of the same, which is very concrete and certain


White privilege is the problem.

Before you speak to me about your religion, first show it to me in how you treat other people; before you tell me how much you love your God, show me in how much you love all His children; before you preach to me of your passion for your faith, teach me about it through your compassion for your neighbors. In the end, I'm not as interested in what you have to tell or sell as in how you choose to live and give.

Cory Booker
mykarma is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 161 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5,406
                     
Re: white privilege

And people have a lot of time to blog on websites and complain, meaning they have a computer, internet service,
and some form of income one way or another.....life sucks.


Get the chip off your shoulder, it's unattractive.


Privilege?

Harvard grad.
Princeton grad.
Yale grad.
Elite financial backers from high school days on
Mom put child in elite prep school.
As she pursued higher degrees of education.
His own kids attend an elite private school.
He's best buddies with a billionaire, and most of
the rich multi-millionaire Hollywood elite.


Growing up in middle class Alaska.
Paying for college yourself.
Being stuck in a POW camp for 5 1/2 years eating rats and
drinking urine.
Hubby works the night shift.

Huh, which is the elite group?


Barack and Michelle Obama are the American success story, rich, educated, successful,
handsome, and winners. Whine, whine, whine........be happy they are who they are.
Get out there and make a legitimate argument about what is so positive about them to
those around you.

Instead of whining so much.
Victicrats are unattractive in word and deed.


Since when is not aborting a baby a bad thing?
Amazing how this one thing irritates people so much.
It's her baby. Get over it. If they make it as a couple,great.
If they don't, they're with the 50% of an Americans who give love
together a try, and fail. That's life.
samsung101 is offline  
post #3 of 161 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5,406
                     
Re: white privilege

The country is half not white.
Get off your behind and vote.
Shockingly, many of those who happen not to be lily white will vote
for McCain-Palin....not most, but enough usually in each election.

Especially hispanic and asian voters.
Which is why the GOP and DNC will go so hard after them in the next 45 days or so.
samsung101 is offline  
post #4 of 161 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Dawn Marie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: North by Northwest
Posts: 15,252
                     
Re: white privilege

White priviledge is when a person gives an opinion it's called an opinion. When a black person gives an opinion it's called an attitude and or anger.
Mykarma great post.

Only after the last tree has been cut down
Only after the last river has been poisoned
Only after the last fish has been caught
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. "Cree Native American Prophecy"
Dawn Marie is offline  
post #5 of 161 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Dawn Marie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: North by Northwest
Posts: 15,252
                     
Re: white privilege

Most of the new registered voters are young college kids who ways of thinking of change. Sooner then later the old school mentality will die and fade away. The youth and the minorities will decide this election. HANDS DOWN!!

Only after the last tree has been cut down
Only after the last river has been poisoned
Only after the last fish has been caught
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. "Cree Native American Prophecy"
Dawn Marie is offline  
post #6 of 161 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2008, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mykarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,276
                     
Re: white privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Marie View Post
White priviledge is when a person gives an opinion it's called an opinion. When a black person gives an opinion it's called an attitude and or anger.
Mykarma great post.
Thank you. One of my white friends sent this to me.

Before you speak to me about your religion, first show it to me in how you treat other people; before you tell me how much you love your God, show me in how much you love all His children; before you preach to me of your passion for your faith, teach me about it through your compassion for your neighbors. In the end, I'm not as interested in what you have to tell or sell as in how you choose to live and give.

Cory Booker
mykarma is offline  
post #7 of 161 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2008, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mykarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,276
                     
Re: white privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsung101 View Post
And people have a lot of time to blog on websites and complain, meaning they have a computer, internet service,
and some form of income one way or another.....life sucks.


Get the chip off your shoulder, it's unattractive.


Privilege?

Harvard grad.
Princeton grad.
Yale grad.
Elite financial backers from high school days on
Mom put child in elite prep school.
As she pursued higher degrees of education.
His own kids attend an elite private school.
He's best buddies with a billionaire, and most of
the rich multi-millionaire Hollywood elite.


Growing up in middle class Alaska.
Paying for college yourself.
Being stuck in a POW camp for 5 1/2 years eating rats and
drinking urine.
Hubby works the night shift.

Huh, which is the elite group?


Barack and Michelle Obama are the American success story, rich, educated, successful,
handsome, and winners. Whine, whine, whine........be happy they are who they are.
Get out there and make a legitimate argument about what is so positive about them to
those around you.

Instead of whining so much.
Victicrats are unattractive in word and deed.


Since when is not aborting a baby a bad thing?
Amazing how this one thing irritates people so much.
It's her baby. Get over it. If they make it as a couple,great.
If they don't, they're with the 50% of an Americans who give love
together a try, and fail. That's life.
It appears as though some people are pretending they don't understand what "white privilege" is. So just in case
White privilege is a sociological concept that describes advantages purportedly enjoyed by white persons beyond that which is commonly experienced by non-white people in those same social, political, and economic spaces (nation, community, workplace, income, etc.). It differs from racism or prejudice in that a person benefiting from white privilege may not necessarily hold racist beliefs or prejudices themselves. Often, the person benefiting is unaware of his or her supposed privilege.

Before you speak to me about your religion, first show it to me in how you treat other people; before you tell me how much you love your God, show me in how much you love all His children; before you preach to me of your passion for your faith, teach me about it through your compassion for your neighbors. In the end, I'm not as interested in what you have to tell or sell as in how you choose to live and give.

Cory Booker

Last edited by mykarma; Sep 18th, 2008 at 09:56 PM.
mykarma is offline  
post #8 of 161 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2008, 09:55 PM
NeverWoz
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 26,752
                     
Re: white privilege

So, the point of this is....
Ryan is offline  
post #9 of 161 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2008, 10:42 PM
country flag RVD
Senior Member
 
RVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 32,254
                     
Re: white privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykarma View Post
White privilege is when you can get pregnant at seventeen like Bristol Palin and everyone is quick to insist that your life and that of your family is a personal matter, and that no one has a right to
judge you, or your parents, because "every family has challenges," even as black
and Latino families with similar "challenges" are regularly typified as irresponsible, pathological and arbiters of social decay.
>
White privilege is when you can call yourself a "fuckin' redneck," like Bristol Palin's boyfriend does, who likes to
"kick ass" if people mess with you, and who likes to "shoot shit," for fun, and still be
viewed as a responsible, all-American boy (and a great son-in-law to be) rather than a thug.

White privilege is when you can attend four different colleges in six years like Sarah Palin did (one of which you basically failed out of, then returned to after making up some coursework at a community college), and no one questions your intelligence or commitment to achievement, whereas a person of color who did this would
be viewed as unfit for college, and probably someone who only got in in the first place because of affirmative action.
>
>
White privilege is when you can claim that being mayor of a town smaller than most medium-sized colleges, and then Governor of a state with about the same number of people as the lower fifth of the island
of Manhattan makes you ready to potentially be president, and people don't all piss on themselves with laughter, while being a black U.S. Senator, two-term state Senator, and constitutional law scholar, means you're "untested."
>
>
> White privilege is being able to say that you support the words "under God" in the pledge of allegiance because "if it was good enough or the founding fathers, it's good enough for me," and not be immediately disqualified from holding office since, after all, the pledge was written in the late 1800s and the "under God" part wasn't added until

the 1950swhile believing that reading accused criminals and terrorists their rights (because, ya know, the
constitution, which you used to teach at a prestigious law school) requires it, is a dangerous and silly idea only supported by mushy liberals.
>
>
> White privilege is being able to be a gun enthusiast and not make people immediately scared of you.

White privilege is being able to have a husband who was a member of an extremist political party that wanted
your state to secede from the union, and whose motto was " Alaska first," and no one questions your patriotism or that of your family, while if you're black and your spouse merely fails to come to a 9/11 memorial so she can
be home with her kids on the first day of school, people immediately think she's being disrespectful.
>
White privilege is being able to make fun of community organizers and the work they dolike, among other things, fight for the right of women to vote, or for civil rights, or the 8-hour workday, or an end to child laborand people think you're being pithy and tough, but if you merely question the experience of a small town mayor and 18-month governor with no foreign policy expertise beyond a class she took in collegeyou're somehow being mean, or even sexist.
>
>
White privilege is being able to convince white women who don't even agree with you on any substantive issue to vote for you and your running mate anyway, because all of a sudden your presence on the ticket has inspired confidence in these same white women, and made them give your party a "second look."
>

> White privilege is being able to fire people who didn't support your political campaigns and not be accused of abusing your power or being a typical politician who engages in favoritism, while being black and merely knowing some folks from the old-line political machines in Chicago means you must be corrupt.


White privilege is being able to attend churches over the years whose pastors say that people who voted for John Kerry or merely criticize George W. Bush are going to hell, and that the U.S. is an explicitly Christian nation and the job of Christians is to bring Christian theological principles into government, and who bring in speakers who
say the conflict in the Middle East is God's punishment on Jews for rejecting Jesus, and everyone can still think you're just a good church-going Christian, but if you're black and friends with a black pastor who has noted (as have Colin Powell and the U.S. Department of Defense) that terrorist attacks are often the result of U.S. foreign
policy and who talks about the history of racism and its effect on black people, you're an extremist who probably hates America .
>

White privilege is not knowing what the Bush Doctrine is when asked by a reporter, and then people get angry at the reporter for asking you such a "trick question," while being black and merely refusing to give one-word answers to the queries of Bill O'Reilly means you're dodging the question, or trying to seem overly intellectual and
nuanced.

White privilege is being able to claim your experience as a POW has anything at all to do with your fitness for president, while being black and experiencing racism is, as Sarah Palin has referred to it a "light" burden.

And finally, white privilege is the only thing that could possible allow someone to become president when he has voted with George W. Bush 90 percent of the time, even as unemployment is skyrocketing, people are losing their homes, inflation is rising, and the U.S. is increasingly isolated from world opinion, just because white voters
>
aren't sure about that whole "change" thing. Ya know, it's just too vague and ill-defined, unlike, say, four more years of the same, which is very concrete and certain


White privilege is the problem.
I personally found this an interesting, and accurate read.
Thanks mykarma.

I think people are getting caught up in the truth of these observations, and rather than discuss their accuracy, they tend to immediately lash out and accuse the messenger.

Guys, I seriously doubt that mykarma wrote this, but rather received it as an email.
I used to get stuff like this over email also. Some of it was silly crap, but some, enlightening and though-provoking.

If you don’t get it, then you haven’t been paying attention to what OTHERS have been going through in America.

Again, rather than shoot the messenger, why not discuss what's true or false about the topic (or each individual observation)?

Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery. - Malcolm X
A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything. - Malcolm X
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline  
post #10 of 161 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2008, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mykarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,276
                     
Re: white privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
So, the point of this is....
Since it has no effect on you obviously it has no point for you at all.

Before you speak to me about your religion, first show it to me in how you treat other people; before you tell me how much you love your God, show me in how much you love all His children; before you preach to me of your passion for your faith, teach me about it through your compassion for your neighbors. In the end, I'm not as interested in what you have to tell or sell as in how you choose to live and give.

Cory Booker
mykarma is offline  
post #11 of 161 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2008, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mykarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,276
                     
Re: white privilege

[quote=RVD;14087528]
Quote:
I personally found this an interesting, and accurate read.
As didi I and that's why I posted it.


Quote:
I think people are getting caught up in the truth of these observations, and rather than discuss their accuracy, they tend to immediately lash out and accuse the messenger.
That's generally the routine.


Quote:
If you don’t get it, then you haven’t been paying attention to what OTHERS have been going through in America.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote:
Again, rather than shoot the messenger, why not discuss what's true or false about the topic (or each individual observation)?
Because we're not suppose to talk about things like that. shhhh

Before you speak to me about your religion, first show it to me in how you treat other people; before you tell me how much you love your God, show me in how much you love all His children; before you preach to me of your passion for your faith, teach me about it through your compassion for your neighbors. In the end, I'm not as interested in what you have to tell or sell as in how you choose to live and give.

Cory Booker
mykarma is offline  
post #12 of 161 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Scotso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 47,044
                     
Re: white privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
So, the point of this is....
That all white people are evil, of course. Didn't you know?


Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline  
post #13 of 161 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2008, 11:54 PM
it's just me against the music.
 
In The Zone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 26,541
                     
Re: white privilege

Why is this thread still open and why hasn't mykarma been punished?

Could someone really post this and replace white with black?

Really clear who the racists are around here.
In The Zone is offline  
post #14 of 161 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2008, 02:26 AM
NeverWoz
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 26,752
                     
Re: white privilege

This thread is to stay free of politics please. If things can't be discussed civilly this thread will be deleted.
Ryan is offline  
post #15 of 161 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Senior Member
 
abercrombieguy23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,489
                     
Re: white privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Marie View Post
White priviledge is when a person gives an opinion it's called an opinion. When a black person gives an opinion it's called an attitude and or anger.
Of course,

I mean look at Barack Obama when he gives an opinion people totally dismiss him as angry....

A black man is about to become president...

ring my bell when a gay man can even become a governor....most likely won't even happen in my lifetime

and don't give me that McGreevey BS

cause when a heart breaks, it never breaks even.....
abercrombieguy23 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome