Any NFL fans here? - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 327 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2007, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,232
                     
Any NFL fans here?

I'm not a hardcore fan, just casual, but I just wanted to express my awe at the Patriots last night. That.. was just amazing. They literally started running up the score in the first half.
Donny is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 327 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2007, 05:46 PM
double-dog daredevil
 
griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: self-imposed exile
Posts: 12,053
                     
Re: Any NFL fans here?

...and the 2nd...

I think Belichick is running up the scores in response to the video scandal earlier this season.

(I'm more of a "social fan" - I watch if I'm hanging out with friends who are fans)

Reason is poor propaganda when opposed by the yammering, unceasing lies of shrewd and evil and self-serving men.
--Robert Heinlein
griffin is offline  
post #3 of 327 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5,406
                     
Re: Any NFL fans here?

I don't think he ran up the score. They had the
2nd and 3rd team guys in there. They could have
gone for a field goal, and instead, they gave the
2nd unit guys a shot at going for a 1st down or
score....which most of the time they don't make.

That's just how poorly the other team played, and how
good their 2nd and 3rd string guys are.


I'm no fan of their coach. He's a jerk. What's with the
torn off sweatshirt sleeves? Yes, he cheated. He's easy
to dislike a lot.

But, that's a great team. Best in the league.

Great game coming up next week with Indy and New England, two
undefeated teams. I think right now, NE will win. But, Peyton
is tough at home.



Loved that San Diego won too. Yeah, back on track - finally. Never
should have lost to Green Bay or KC after leading late in the 4th quarter.

Miami - their season was over 3 games ago. They're horrible.
samsung101 is offline  
post #4 of 327 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Worshipping the bangs
 
miffedmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Larsson's Player Forum
Posts: 56,579
                     
Re: Any NFL fans here?

I'm a Vikings fan, so I'm miserable even with Adrian Peterson.

My fantasy team is kicking ass, though, and my real football team FC Dallas won this weekend, so that's good.

Max
Pass the duct tape and super glue. Lena's done broke my heart one last time.
Onward my LOB! Lena (ret.) Vika Vee TOB Caro Alexa Sabs Wicky Lesia Vania BMS Ekat Andi H. Jo-La Lena V KP2 Lil Bit Kiki Mini Mak Baby Veronika
V Squad, The LOB Elite: Vika, Venus and the Mad Viking of Norrland
Jo-La Duchess of Norrland and Bastad
Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline  
post #5 of 327 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Sally Struthers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: UnattractiveOn the inside
Posts: 10,986
                     
Re: Any NFL fans here?

I don't get why people are miffed that NE is running up the scores. If you don't want that to happen, play better!

And yes I believe too that they are running it up to say "FU, we'll beat you anyway" to the league after the video taping.
Sally Struthers is offline  
post #6 of 327 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Senior Member
 
kiwifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 9,740
                     
Re: Any NFL fans here?

I don't mind them "running up the score". I still remember the Buffalo Bills coming back on the Houston Oilers back in the '90s and this is Pro Football...

...as long as there is more than 2 minutes on the clock, as Herm Edwards would say, "You play to win the game!!!" If you can score, score. Football is very physical and its unfair to the linemen especially to take your foot off the pedal after all the defense is losing and angry and looking to hit people just to get out their frustrations...

...makes more sense to keep playing, if for no other reason than to keep the defense occupied.

The only oddity to the Patriots' scoring madness is that traditionally you would focus on running the ball in the 4th when you've clearly got the win; while they just keep on passing...

...they definitely aren't looking to "run the clock out".
kiwifan is offline  
post #7 of 327 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,274
                     
Re: Any NFL fans here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifan View Post
I don't mind them "running up the score". I still remember the Buffalo Bills coming back on the Houston Oilers back in the '90s and this is Pro Football...

...as long as there is more than 2 minutes on the clock, as Herm Edwards would say, "You play to win the game!!!" If you can score, score. Football is very physical and its unfair to the linemen especially to take your foot off the pedal after all the defense is losing and angry and looking to hit people just to get out their frustrations...

...makes more sense to keep playing, if for no other reason than to keep the defense occupied.

The only oddity to the Patriots' scoring madness is that traditionally you would focus on running the ball in the 4th when you've clearly got the win; while they just keep on passing...

...they definitely aren't looking to "run the clock out".
Well the problem is they don't particularly have a good running game.
And they know that it will come up against the Colts.

So they're going to have to depend on throwing then, so why not practice on it now.
No point in trying to practice on running when the Colts have a good run defense and it's not going to be something that will work for them in the 4th quarter.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
post #8 of 327 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2007, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,232
                     
Re: Any NFL fans here?

I don't really get the complaints about running up the score either, to be honest. It's a professional sport. You shouldn't play below your potential to keep from embarrassing another team. In high school, maybe. Inc ollege or the NFL? Def. not.

What I found most telling about that game was that the Redskins are a good team, and still got owned. If the Colts don't win, or at least make it competitive, we might as well give the Pats their rings now.
Donny is offline  
post #9 of 327 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,274
                     
Re: Any NFL fans here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnydarko View Post

What I found most telling about that game was that the Redskins are a good team, and still got owned. If the Colts don't win, or at least make it competitive, we might as well give the Pats their rings now.
They're a bit overrated. Defense is good.
Jason Campbell is a bit overrated and has an obvious issue of losing the ball when he gets sacked.
Good news is it's not as bad as Mark Brunell's issue.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
post #10 of 327 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2007, 07:56 PM
double-dog daredevil
 
griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: self-imposed exile
Posts: 12,053
                     
Re: Any NFL fans here?

It wasn't a complaint - just a comment. I really don't care how much they win (or lose) by.

Reason is poor propaganda when opposed by the yammering, unceasing lies of shrewd and evil and self-serving men.
--Robert Heinlein
griffin is offline  
post #11 of 327 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2007, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,232
                     
Re: Any NFL fans here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
It wasn't a complaint - just a comment. I really don't care how much they win (or lose) by.
I wasn't referring to you- it was more directed to people I know who make those type of comments.

Of course, I do live in New York City, and they are Jets and Bills fans, so...
Donny is offline  
post #12 of 327 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 21,972
                     
Re: Any NFL fans here?

Big Football fan, even bigger Pats fan. I'm hoping that the whining about this stops once and for all (I mean running up the score)... It's looks 'funny' when these big supposed-to be-tough men start crying and whining about it. like one Dolphin one... Especially, a Dolphin player...

Anyways, if you don't want to be run over by the Pats train, just play better. Simple.

PS. And I am seriously hoping that future opponents are men enough to take it like men or play well and not go for ditry tricks like injuring Brady or Moss on purpose, which is now being openly disscussed in some bloggs even the ones that are posted on Yahoo.com.

Vassilissa is my girl............
tenn_ace is offline  
post #13 of 327 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Senior Member
 
kiwifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 9,740
                     
Re: Any NFL fans here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenn_ace View Post
Big Football fan, even bigger Pats fan. I'm hoping that the whining about this stops once and for all (I mean running up the score)... It's looks 'funny' when these big supposed-to be-tough men start crying and whining about it. like one Dolphin one... Especially, a Dolphin player...

Anyways, if you don't want to be run over by the Pats train, just play better. Simple.

PS. And I am seriously hoping that future opponents are men enough to take it like men or play well and not go for ditry tricks like injuring Brady or Moss on purpose, which is now being openly disscussed in some bloggs even the ones that are posted on Yahoo.com.
Knocking the shit out of Brady or Moss is part of the game too (not talking about going for knees or late hits).

That's what a good defense would do.
kiwifan is offline  
post #14 of 327 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 21,972
                     
Re: Any NFL fans here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifan View Post
Knocking the shit out of Brady or Moss is part of the game too (not talking about going for knees or late hits).

That's what a good defense would do.

That's the problem. The people who talk about it, don't discuss any possible defense play, they talk about "revenge" (the word they use)...


Draw your own conclusion.

Vassilissa is my girl............
tenn_ace is offline  
post #15 of 327 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,274
                     
Re: Any NFL fans here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenn_ace View Post
Anyways, if you don't want to be run over by the Pats train, stop sneaking into their lockerroom with just a thong on, simple as that.
Good advice. So I should try the opposite, right?

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome