Naked U.S. tourist shocks Germany - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2007, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Lunaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bojov <---> Prague
Posts: 7,253
                     
Naked U.S. tourist shocks Germany

BERLIN (Reuters) - A naked American tourist raised eyebrows when he went for a walk through a German city and told police he thought this was acceptable behavior in Germany.
"We have been having unusually hot weather here lately but, all the same, we can't have this," a spokesman for police in the southern city of Nuremberg said Tuesday. "The man said he thought walking around naked was tolerated in Germany."
Many Germans enjoy nude sunbathing which is allowed in public parks. The 41-year-old was carrying his clothes in a bag when police stopped him Monday evening after complaints from pedestrians.
The tourist was not under the influence of drugs, said police. They made him get dressed and pay a 200 euro ($269) deposit pending his investigation for indecent behavior.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070523/...any_naked_dc_2



I may laugh, but unfortunately such incidents only support the myth about Americans being a nation of not the brightest people and therefore also contribute to the prejudice many Europeans have against the USA.

Suicide Tennis: Amelia Island 2008
Lunaris is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Senior Member
 
"Sluggy"'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,784
                     
Re: Naked U.S. tourist shocks Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunaris View Post

I may laugh, but unfortunately such incidents only support the myth about Americans being a nation of not the brightest people and therefore also contribute to the prejudice many Europeans have against the USA.
Funny for you to say that, when you consider he did it in the nation of germany - Germans also have a reputation for brutality, strangeness, etc. and on a tennis forum - wasn't it a german whose infutation with Stefi graf caused him to attack another tennis player on the tennis court?
"Sluggy" is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 660
                     
Re: Naked U.S. tourist shocks Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sluggy" View Post
Funny for you to say that, when you consider he did it in the nation of germany - Germans also have a reputation for brutality, strangeness, etc. and on a tennis forum - wasn't it a german whose infutation with Stefi graf caused him to attack another tennis player on the tennis court?
What has that got to do with anything? there are psychos in every nation.

I don't see german people and think "ooh they're strange, remember that guy that stabbed Seles...I better avoid them"

You're unbelievable sometimes
Sugar_Kane is offline  
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Team WTAworld
Lounge Owner
 
ViennaCalling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 44,248
                     
Re: Naked U.S. tourist shocks Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sluggy" View Post
Funny for you to say that, when you consider he did it in the nation of germany - Germans also have a reputation for brutality, strangeness, etc. and on a tennis forum - wasn't it a german whose infutation with Stefi graf caused him to attack another tennis player on the tennis court?


Tamira PASZEK
Na LI - Francesca SCHIAVONE - Roberta VINCI
Tamira's backhand, Roby's slice, Galina's dropshot


ViennaCalling is offline  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Foo Fighters
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,073
                     
Re: Naked U.S. tourist shocks Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sluggy" View Post
Funny for you to say that, when you consider he did it in the nation of germany - Germans also have a reputation for brutality, strangeness, etc. and on a tennis forum - wasn't it a german whose infutation with Stefi graf caused him to attack another tennis player on the tennis court?
WTF?
~Carsten~ is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,793
                     
Re: Naked U.S. tourist shocks Germany

While Sluggy did go over the top with his stereotype, I find it amusing that it's ok to attack America but the second Germany gets attacked everyone gets so upset.

Venus Williams-Ana Ivanovic-Serena Williams-Vika Azarenka-Caroline Wozniacki

McHale-Stephens-Watson-Robson-Townsend

Brodsky-Muhammad-Hampton-Keys-Crawford-Andrews-Hardebeck
ptkten is offline  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Veelieve!!!
 
Infiniti2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 28,345
 
Re: Naked U.S. tourist shocks Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunaris View Post
BERLIN (Reuters) - A naked American tourist raised eyebrows when he went for a walk through a German city and told police he thought this was acceptable behavior in Germany.
"We have been having unusually hot weather here lately but, all the same, we can't have this," a spokesman for police in the southern city of Nuremberg said Tuesday. "The man said he thought walking around naked was tolerated in Germany."
Many Germans enjoy nude sunbathing which is allowed in public parks. The 41-year-old was carrying his clothes in a bag when police stopped him Monday evening after complaints from pedestrians.
The tourist was not under the influence of drugs, said police. They made him get dressed and pay a 200 euro ($269) deposit pending his investigation for indecent behavior.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070523/...any_naked_dc_2



I may laugh, but unfortunately such incidents only support the myth about Americans being a nation of not the brightest people and therefore also contribute to the prejudice many Europeans have against the USA.
One American does something stupid, yet other Americans are mentioned Methinks it's an American obsession


Love Trumps Hate
Infiniti2001 is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Senior Member
 
kiwifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 9,740
                     
Re: Naked U.S. tourist shocks Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Kane View Post
What has that got to do with anything? there are psychos in every nation.

I don't see german people and think "ooh they're strange, remember that guy that stabbed Seles...I better avoid them"

You're unbelievable sometimes
Well taking the actions of one dope and using it as an excuse for the one billionth insult to my country is pretty tacky and lame too.

But I'm used to that in WTAworld

I know Euros love to boast about how uninhibited they are in comparison to us Yanks, well one Yank put it to the test and found it to be yet another Euro folk tale, you know like "tolerance for other cultures".

Last edited by kiwifan; May 24th, 2007 at 10:57 PM.
kiwifan is offline  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Senior Member
 
hablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: canada
Posts: 50,079
                     
Re: Naked U.S. tourist shocks Germany

@ the individual in the article.
hablo is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2007, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Lunaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bojov <---> Prague
Posts: 7,253
                     
Re: Naked U.S. tourist shocks Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti2001 View Post
One American does something stupid, yet other Americans are mentioned Methinks it's an American obsession
Agreed. I didn't want to attack Americans. I read about this on another website and many (dumb) people were making generalization just like Sluggy did in his post. I was just curious whether other posters mainly from Europe encounter similar attitude towards America in their countries.

Suicide Tennis: Amelia Island 2008

Last edited by Lunaris; May 25th, 2007 at 12:37 AM.
Lunaris is offline  
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 493
                     
Re: Naked U.S. tourist shocks Germany

This is a case of such an extreme
nflatte is offline  
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Posts: 20,840
                     
Re: Naked U.S. tourist shocks Germany

I am not shocked. Neither surprised this man was an American.

my tennis pictures: here and here
my tennis videos: here
rrfnpump is offline  
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Senior Member
 
drake3781's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 15,915
                     
Re: Naked U.S. tourist shocks Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfnpump View Post
I am not shocked. Neither surprised this man was an American.
I am American and while there are many faults, thinking it is OK to run around naked ANYWHERE is not one of them.
This person is either joking or mentally ill.

I am quite shocked that Germans and others BELIEVE it.
drake3781 is offline  
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Senior Member
 
SelesFan70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11,028
                     
Re: Naked U.S. tourist shocks Germany

I thought the article would be about his large American dick putting the Germans in a state of shock.

Tammy Bruce RightSideOfTheRainbow

Liberals: Hard on the unborn, soft on terrorists

Man-made climate change is a LIE

COUNTDOWN!
SelesFan70 is offline  
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Senior Member
 
LindsayRulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 15,351
                     
Re: Naked U.S. tourist shocks Germany

LindsayRulz is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome