ALL Charges Dropped in Duke Case; Pic of Accuser And Her Criminal Arrest History Here - TennisForum.com

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 95 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
SWOOP!
 
Mother_Marjorie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,444
                     
ALL Charges Dropped in Duke Case; Pic of Accuser And Her Criminal Arrest History Here


Crystal Gail "Twana" Mangum

A.G.'s Statement Dropping Duke Rape Case

Apr 11 02:48 PM US/Eastern
By The Associated Press


Statement from North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper on the Duke University lacrosse rape case.
Good afternoon, everyone.

On Jan. 13 of this year, I accepted the request of the Durham district attorney to take over three Durham cases. At the time, I promised a fresh and thorough review of the facts and a decision on the best way to proceed. I also said that we would have our eyes wide open to the evidence, but that we would have blinders on for all other distractions. We've done all of these things.

During the past 12 weeks, our lawyers and investigators have reviewed the remaining allegations of sexual assault and kidnapping that resulted from a party on March 13, 2006, in Durham, N.C.

We have carefully reviewed the evidence collected by the Durham County prosecutor's office and the Durham Police Department. We have also conducted our own interviews and evidence gathering. Our attorneys and SBI (State Bureau of Investigation) agents have interviewed numerous people who were at the party, DNA and other experts, the Durham County district attorney, Durham police officers, defense attorneys and the accusing witness on several occasions. We have reviewed statements given over the past year, photographs, records and other evidence.

The result of our review and investigation shows clearly that there is insufficient evidence to proceed on any of the charges. Today we are filing notices of dismissal for all charges against Reade Seligmann, Collin Finnerty and David Evans.

The result is that these cases are over, and no more criminal proceedings will occur.

We believe that these cases were the result of a tragic rush to accuse and a failure to verify serious allegations. Based on the significant inconsistencies between the evidence and the various accounts given by the accusing witness, we believe these three individuals are innocent of these charges.

We approached this case with the understanding that rape and sexual assault victims often have some inconsistencies in their accounts of a traumatic event. However, in this case, the inconsistencies were so significant and so contrary to the evidence that we have no credible evidence that an attack occurred in that house that night.

The prosecuting witness in this case responded to questions and offered information. She did want to move forward with the prosecution.

However, the contradictions in her many versions of what occurred and the conflicts between what she said occurred and other evidence, like photographs and phone records, could not be rectified.

Our investigation shows that:

The eyewitness identification procedures were faulty and unreliable. No DNA confirms the accuser's story. No other witness confirms her story. Other evidence contradicts her story. She contradicts herself. Next week, we'll be providing a written summary of the important factual findings and some of the specific contradictions that have led us to the conclusion that no attack occurred.

In this case, with the weight of the state behind him, the Durham district attorney pushed forward unchecked. There were many points in the case where caution would have served justice better than bravado. And in the rush to condemn, a community and a state lost the ability to see clearly. Regardless of the reasons this case was pushed forward, the result was wrong. Today, we need to learn from this and keep it from happening again to anybody.

Now, we have good district attorneys in North Carolina who are both tough and fair. And we need these forceful, independent prosecutors to put criminals away and protect the public. But we also need checks and balances to protect the innocent. This case shows the enormous consequences of overreaching by a prosecutor. What has been learned here is that the internal checks on a criminal charge—sworn statements, reasonable grounds, proper suspect photo lineups, accurate and fair discovery—all are critically important.

Therefore, I propose a law that the North Carolina Supreme Court have the authority to remove a case from a prosecutor in limited circumstances. This would give the courts a new tool to deal with a prosecutor who needs to step away from a case where justice demands.

I want to thank everyone in the North Carolina Department of Justice. I want to thank our investigators, our SBI agents and especially attorneys Jim Coman and Mary Winstead for their hard work in this matter.

I'll take some of your questions now.

Last edited by Mother_Marjorie; Apr 11th, 2007 at 07:40 PM.
Mother_Marjorie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 95 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Senior Member
 
RenaSlam.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 25,033
                     
Re: ALL Charges Dropped in Duke Rape Case; Pic of Accuser Here; Men Should Sue



GO DUKE!!!
RenaSlam. is offline  
post #3 of 95 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
SWOOP!
 
Mother_Marjorie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,444
                     
Re: ALL Charges Dropped in Duke Rape Case; Pic of Accuser Here; Men Should Sue

Mother_Marjorie is offline  
post #4 of 95 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
SWOOP!
 
Mother_Marjorie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,444
                     
Re: ALL Charges Dropped in Duke Case; Pic of Accuser And Her Criminal Arrest History Here

Mother_Marjorie is offline  
post #5 of 95 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: florida
Posts: 24,585
                     
Re: ALL Charges Dropped in Duke Case; Pic of Accuser And Her Criminal Arrest History Here

I'm sure drudge and swam were getting kinda worried about the inability to racialize a situation for a few weeks. . . .LOL!!!!!

This'll die down with justice served(hopefully), but the men and women will still be dying in Iraq.

-one of those "bad" Williams fans that everyone keeps talking about


OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline  
post #6 of 95 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
SWOOP!
 
Mother_Marjorie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,444
                     
Re: ALL Charges Dropped in Duke Case; Pic of Accuser And Her Criminal Arrest History Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureracket View Post
I'm sure drudge and swam were getting kinda worried about the inability to racialize a situation for a few weeks. . . .LOL!!!!!
You must have "drudge and swam" confused with Al Sharpton, the NAACP, and the Black Panthers who during the beginning weeks of this investigation called for a rush to judgement because the accuser was not of the same color as the accused.

But, now that the charges have been dropped, I think people are going to want to know more about Ms. Mangum. And rightfully so, since her fraudulent actions have cost those she accused a lot of unnecessary embarrasment and harm.

I hope the boys attorney's sue the crap out of all that were involved, and that the state of North Carolina pursues criminal charges against her.
Mother_Marjorie is offline  
post #7 of 95 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: florida
Posts: 24,585
                     
Re: ALL Charges Dropped in Duke Case; Pic of Accuser And Her Criminal Arrest History Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother_Marjorie View Post
You must have "drudge and swam" confused with Al Sharpton, the NAACP, and the Black Panthers who during the beginning weeks of this investigation called for a rush to judgement because the accuser was not of the same color as the accused.

But, now that the charges have been dropped, I think people are going to want to know more about Ms. Mangum. And rightfully so, since her fraudulent actions have cost those she accused a lot of unnecessary embarrasment and harm.

I hope the boys attorney's sue the crap out of all that were involved, and that the state of North Carolina pursues criminal charges against her.
Umm....the NAACP...think about the name of the organization and what it actually means. Also, if you really had any concern, you'd know exactly what the roles these organizations played in that case.

Unfortunately, just like your love of the USA totally disappears because of the race of its two top tennis players, any concern for a woman who definitely suffered from some form of explotation becomes a moot point because of her race.

-one of those "bad" Williams fans that everyone keeps talking about


OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline  
post #8 of 95 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Louisiana USA
Posts: 1,217
                     
Re: ALL Charges Dropped in Duke Case; Pic of Accuser And Her Criminal Arrest History Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother_Marjorie View Post
You must have "drudge and swam" confused with Al Sharpton, the NAACP, and the Black Panthers who during the beginning weeks of this investigation called for a rush to judgement because the accuser was not of the same color as the accused.

But, now that the charges have been dropped, I think people are going to want to know more about Ms. Mangum. And rightfully so, since her fraudulent actions have cost those she accused a lot of unnecessary embarrasment and harm.

I hope the boys attorney's sue the crap out of all that were involved, and that the state of North Carolina pursues criminal charges against her.


This case really frustrated me. It seems that it is PC to attack prejudge someone if they are white and "privileged". But had the accused been black. Every actor in Hollywood would have been outraged, and protesting back when the accusations came out. I have been really disappointed with the evidence CLEARLY showing no rape or kidnapping occurred yet the African American community still thinks it happened. I think it is ironic that Sharpton and Jackson had jumped on the bandwagon saying racism, when they are two "racial hustlers" themselves. Can you say Tawanna Brawley 2006?

Last edited by Shane54; Apr 11th, 2007 at 09:27 PM. Reason: add info
Shane54 is offline  
post #9 of 95 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,275
                     
Re: ALL Charges Dropped in Duke Case; Pic of Accuser And Her Criminal Arrest History Here

These men have been put in limbo with their lives and their post college lacross career because a majority of people including a majority of this board rushed to judgement and were ready crucify them in the name of any person who has been wronged by white men and by money.

Shameful.
I really hope you are ashame of yourselves.
Justice doesn't work in America anymore.

There's no such thing as innocent before proven guilty anymore for anyone.
These boys were guilty before proven innocent.
PacMan Jones is guilty before proven innocent.

I just want some of you who had these boys out to be monsters to know you have created a monster of a justice system
The justice system that was warped already is now beyond functional.
It's not able to do its job without influence from media in many cases the wrong influence.
You had your own agenda at heart now deal with the future consequences because this will continue and continue until it bites the absolute wrong person in the ass.

Maybe then you will say, OMG what have I created.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
post #10 of 95 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: florida
Posts: 24,585
                     
Re: ALL Charges Dropped in Duke Case; Pic of Accuser And Her Criminal Arrest History Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane54 View Post


This case really frustrated me. It seems that it is PC to attack prejudge someone if they are white and "privileged". But had the accused been black. Every actor in Hollywood would have been outraged, and protesting back when the accusations came out. I have been really disappointed with the evidence CLEARLY showing no rape or kidnapping occurred yet the African American community still thinks it happened. Who are the racists here?
I think it is ironic that Sharpton and Jackson jumped on the bandwagon saying racism, when they are two "racial hustlers" themselves. Can you say Tawanna Brawley 2006?
Yeah, that's why there are sooo many "priveleged" white people in the criminal justice system? It's rather easy to use your whole argument in a situation like this when the accuser is both a minority and a female.

-one of those "bad" Williams fans that everyone keeps talking about


OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline  
post #11 of 95 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,275
                     
Re: ALL Charges Dropped in Duke Case; Pic of Accuser And Her Criminal Arrest History Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureracket View Post
This'll die down with justice served(hopefully), but the men and women will still be dying in Iraq.
There's something interesting about this statement.

It came out of samsung's mouth about a couple of days ago when it came to Imus.

You might consider yourself to be a paradox to samsung but you have more similarities than you might care to think about.

Also I gve you props for being the only one in this thread who hasn't "dissapeared" all of a sudden when it comes to this Duke topic.

There's 30 to 40 other posters who had pretty nasty things to say about these boys who might have to admit that they could have been wrong.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
post #12 of 95 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: florida
Posts: 24,585
                     
Re: ALL Charges Dropped in Duke Case; Pic of Accuser And Her Criminal Arrest History Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeknowitall View Post
There's something interesting about this statement.

It came out of samsung's mouth about a couple of days ago when it came to Imus.

You might consider yourself to be a paradox to samsung but you have more similarities than you might care to think about.

Also I gve you props for being the only one in this thread who hasn't "dissapeared" all of a sudden when it comes to this Duke topic.

There's 30 to 40 other posters who had pretty nasty things to say about these boys who might have to admit that they could have been wrong.
Please....that's exactly why I wrote that statement....because of Samsung's. I didn't disappear because I believe in people being innocent until proven guilty; however, from looking @ the posts in this thread, it's quite obvious that the woman was going to have a tough time, regardless of guilt.

The difference is, though, that the gentlemen are being used as a banner for the poor, poor condition of the "white and priveledged" when the emphasis should be put on the fact that they were dragged through the dirt without even given a trial.

On the other hand, this woman, because of her race and gender would have been castigated and criticized whether she was telling the truth or not.

-one of those "bad" Williams fans that everyone keeps talking about


OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline  
post #13 of 95 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 09:54 PM
double-dog daredevil
 
griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: self-imposed exile
Posts: 12,049
                     
Re: ALL Charges Dropped in Duke Case; Pic of Accuser And Her Criminal Arrest History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeknowitall View Post
These men have been put in limbo with their lives and their post college lacross career because a majority of people ... rushed to judgement and were ready crucify them ...

Shameful.
I really hope you are ashame of yourselves.
Justice doesn't work in America anymore.
Is it really any more broken than it ever was? Because this time it was a bunch of wealthy white guys that were presumed guilty?

Google "Charles Stuart" and "carjacking" for a start.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to excuse or justify the persecution of these men - either by the legal authorities, the pundits, or the people on this board.

People pick sides in cases like this for reasons that have nothing to do with the facts at hand. Sadly, though, that's nothing new.

Reason is poor propaganda when opposed by the yammering, unceasing lies of shrewd and evil and self-serving men.
--Robert Heinlein
griffin is offline  
post #14 of 95 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,275
                     
Re: ALL Charges Dropped in Duke Case; Pic of Accuser And Her Criminal Arrest History Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureracket View Post
Please....that's exactly why I wrote that statement....because of Samsung's. I didn't disappear because I believe in people being innocent until proven guilty; however, from looking @ the posts in this thread, it's quite obvious that the woman was going to have a tough time, regardless of guilt.

The difference is, though, that the gentlemen are being used as a banner for the poor, poor condition of the "white and priveledged" when the emphasis should be put on the fact that they were dragged through the dirt without even given a trial.

On the other hand, this woman, because of her race and gender would have been castigated and criticized whether she was telling the truth or not.
Uh huh. So you have a secret crush on samsung it's ok.

I have no problem what she did as an exotic dancer.
Make that money but don't let that money make you, is what I say about that.

I did mention that they were being used as an example for those who thought the white and privileged have gotten away with everything under the sun.

What I mentioned the most though is the policy that people are guilty before proven innocent in media and before getting any due process.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
post #15 of 95 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Marshmallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: In Love...
Posts: 9,223
                     
Re: ALL Charges Dropped in Duke Case; Pic of Accuser And Her Criminal Arrest History Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeknowitall View Post
These men have been put in limbo with their lives and their post college lacross career because a majority of people including a majority of this board rushed to judgement and were ready crucify them in the name of any person who has been wronged by white men and by money.

Shameful.
I really hope you are ashame of yourselves.
Justice doesn't work in America anymore.

There's no such thing as innocent before proven guilty anymore for anyone.
These boys were guilty before proven innocent.
PacMan Jones is guilty before proven innocent.

I just want some of you who had these boys out to be monsters to know you have created a monster of a justice system
The justice system that was warped already is now beyond functional.
It's not able to do its job without influence from media in many cases the wrong influence.
You had your own agenda at heart now deal with the future consequences because this will continue and continue until it bites the absolute wrong person in the ass.

Maybe then you will say, OMG what have I created.

I think you are being a little extreme at least. This phenomenon works both ways. Numerous studies in psychology and the american judicial system have found that young black males (for example) are consistently more likely to be presumed guilty and punished more severely than their white counterparts. The lives of many black males have been ruined, many of whom had not much to begin with.

The point is, there are numerous flaws within the judicial system and processes. You can't say something like - 'you have created a monster of a justice system', perhaps it's part of a cycle. This issue has long deep roots.
Marshmallow is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome