Woman beaten on Jerusalem bus for refusing to move to rear seat - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 103 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2006, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: florida
Posts: 24,503
                     
Woman beaten on Jerusalem bus for refusing to move to rear seat

http://haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt...&contrassID=19


Woman beaten on Jerusalem bus for refusing to move to rear seat By Daphna Berman

A woman who reported a vicious attack by an ad-hoc "modesty patrol" on a Jerusalem bus last month is now lining up support for her case and may be included in a petition to the High Court of Justice over the legality of sex-segregated buses.

Miriam Shear says she was traveling to pray at the Western Wall in Jerusalem's Old City early on November 24 when a group of ultra-Orthodox (Haredi) men attacked her for refusing to move to the back of the Egged No. 2 bus. She is now in touch with several legal advocacy and women's organizations, and at the same time, waiting for the police to apprehend her attackers.

In her first interview since the incident, Shear says that on the bus three weeks ago, she was slapped, kicked, punched and pushed by a group of men who demanded that she sit in the back of the bus with the other women. The bus driver, in response to a media inquiry, denied that violence was used against her, but Shear's account has been substantiated by an unrelated eyewitness on the bus who confirmed that she sustained an unprovoked "severe beating."




Shear, an American-Israeli woman who currently lives in Canada, says that on a recent five-week vacation to Israel, she rode the bus daily to the Old City to pray at sunrise. Though not defined by Egged as a sex-segregated "mehadrin" bus, women usually sit in the back, while men sit in the front, as a matter of custom.

"Every two or three days, someone would tell me to sit in the back, sometimes politely and sometimes not," she recalled this week in a telephone interview. "I was always polite and said 'No. This is not a synagogue. I am not going to sit in the back.'"

But Shear, a 50-year-old religious woman, says that on the morning of the 24th, a man got onto the bus and demanded her seat - even though there were a number of other seats available in the front of the bus.

"I said, I'm not moving and he said, 'I'm not asking you, I'm telling you.' Then he spat in my face and at that point, I was in high adrenaline mode and called him a son-of-a-bitch, which I am not proud of. Then I spat back. At that point, he pushed me down and people on the bus were screaming that I was crazy. Four men surrounded me and slapped my face, punched me in the chest, pulled at my clothes, beat me, kicked me. My snood [hair covering] came off. I was fighting back and kicked one of the men in his privates. I will never forget the look on his face."

Shear says that when she bent down in the aisle to retrieve her hair covering, "one of the men kicked me in the face. Thank God he missed my eye. I got up and punched him. I said, 'I want my hair covering back' but he wouldn't give it to me, so I took his black hat and threw it in the aisle."

'Stupid American'

Throughout the encounter, Shear says the bus driver "did nothing." The other passengers, she says, blamed her for not moving to the back of the bus and called her a "stupid American with no sechel [common sense.] People blamed me for not knowing my place and not going to the back of the bus where I belong."

According to Yehoshua Meyer, the eyewitness to the incident, Shear's account is entirely accurate. "I saw everything," he said. "Someone got on the bus and demanded that she go to the back, but she didn't agree. She was badly beaten and her whole body sustained hits and kicks. She tried to fight back and no one would help her. I tried to help, but someone was stopping me from getting up. My phone's battery was dead, so I couldn't call the police. I yelled for the bus driver to stop. He stopped once, but he didn't do anything. When we finally got to the Kotel [Western Wall], she was beaten badly and I helped her go to the police."

Shear says that when she first started riding the No. 2 line, she did not even know that it was sometimes sex-segregated. She also says that sitting in the front is simply more comfortable. "I'm a 50-year-old woman and I don't like to sit in the back. I'm dressed appropriately and I was on a public bus."

"It is very dangerous for a group of people to take control over a public entity and enforce their will without going through due process," she said. "Even if they [Haredim who want a segregated bus] are a majority - and I don't think they are - they have options available. They can petition Egged or hire their own private line. But as long as it's a public bus, I don't care if there are 500 people telling me where to sit. I can sit wherever I want and so can anyone else."

Meyer says that throughout the incident, the other passengers blamed Shear for not sitting in the back. "They'll probably claim that she attacked them first, but that's totally untrue. She was abused terribly, and I've never seen anything like it."

Word of Shear's story traveled quickly after she forwarded an e-mail detailing her experience. She has been contacted by a number of groups, including Shatil, the New Israel Fund's Empowerment and Training Center for Social Change; Kolech, a religious women's forum; the Israel Religious Action Center (IRAC), the legal advocacy arm of the local Reform movement; and the Jewish Orthodox Feminist Alliance (JOFA).

In the coming month, IRAC will be submitting a petition to the High Court of Justice against the Transportation Ministry over the issue of segregated Egged buses. IRAC attorney Orly Erez-Likhovski is in touch with Shear and is considering including her in the petition.

Although the No. 2 Jerusalem bus where the incident occurred is not actually defined as a mehadrin line, Erez-Likhovski says that Shear's story is further proof that the issue requires legal clarification. About 30 Egged buses are designated as mehadrin, mostly on inter-city lines, but they are not marked to indicate this. "There's no way to identify a mehadrin bus, which in itself is a problem," she said.

"Theoretically, a person can sit wherever they want, even on a mehadrin line, but we're seeing that people are enforcing [the gender segregation] even on non-mehadrin lines and that's the part of the danger," she said.

On a mehadrin bus, women enter and exit through the rear door, and the seats from the rear door back are generally considered the "women's section." A child is usually sent forward to pay the driver.

The official responses

In a response from Egged, the bus driver denied that Shear was physically attacked in any way.

"In a thorough inquiry that we conducted, we found that the bus driver does not confirm that any violence was used against the complainant," Egged spokesman Ron Ratner wrote.

"According to the driver, once he saw that there was a crowd gathering around her, he stopped the bus and went to check what was going on. He clarified to the passengers that the bus was not a mehadrin line and that all passengers on the line are permitted to sit wherever they want on the bus. After making sure that the passengers returned to their seats, he continued driving."

The Egged response also noted that their drivers "are not able and are not authorized to supervise the behavior of the passengers in all situations."

Ministry of Transportation spokesperson Avner Ovadia said in response that the mehadrin lines are "the result of agreements reached between Egged and Haredi bodies" and are therefore unconnected to the ministry.

A spokesperson for the Jerusalem police said the case is still under investigation.

-one of those "bad" Williams fans that everyone keeps talking about


OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 103 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Veritas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,895
                     
Re: Woman beaten on Jerusalem bus for refusing to move to rear seat

I assume the woman has bruises and some traces of spit on her face as proof of the attack. If that's the case, then the bus driver is truly an idiot for trying to deny the incident happened.
Veritas is offline  
post #3 of 103 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2006, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: florida
Posts: 24,503
                     
Re: Woman beaten on Jerusalem bus for refusing to move to rear seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
I assume the woman has bruises and some traces of spit on her face as proof of the attack. If that's the case, then the bus driver is truly an idiot for trying to deny the incident happened.
I was thinking the same thing. The bruises should've been an indication.

-one of those "bad" Williams fans that everyone keeps talking about


OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline  
post #4 of 103 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2006, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: florida
Posts: 24,503
                     
Re: Woman beaten on Jerusalem bus for refusing to move to rear seat

This reminds me so much of the Rosa Parks episode during the American Civil Rights movement.

-one of those "bad" Williams fans that everyone keeps talking about


OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline  
post #5 of 103 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Senior Member
 
mykarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 27,990
                     
Re: Woman beaten on Jerusalem bus for refusing to move to rear seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureracket View Post
http://haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt...&contrassID=19


Woman beaten on Jerusalem bus for refusing to move to rear seat By Daphna Berman

A woman who reported a vicious attack by an ad-hoc "modesty patrol" on a Jerusalem bus last month is now lining up support for her case and may be included in a petition to the High Court of Justice over the legality of sex-segregated buses.

Miriam Shear says she was traveling to pray at the Western Wall in Jerusalem's Old City early on November 24 when a group of ultra-Orthodox (Haredi) men attacked her for refusing to move to the back of the Egged No. 2 bus. She is now in touch with several legal advocacy and women's organizations, and at the same time, waiting for the police to apprehend her attackers.

In her first interview since the incident, Shear says that on the bus three weeks ago, she was slapped, kicked, punched and pushed by a group of men who demanded that she sit in the back of the bus with the other women. The bus driver, in response to a media inquiry, denied that violence was used against her, but Shear's account has been substantiated by an unrelated eyewitness on the bus who confirmed that she sustained an unprovoked "severe beating."




Shear, an American-Israeli woman who currently lives in Canada, says that on a recent five-week vacation to Israel, she rode the bus daily to the Old City to pray at sunrise. Though not defined by Egged as a sex-segregated "mehadrin" bus, women usually sit in the back, while men sit in the front, as a matter of custom.

"Every two or three days, someone would tell me to sit in the back, sometimes politely and sometimes not," she recalled this week in a telephone interview. "I was always polite and said 'No. This is not a synagogue. I am not going to sit in the back.'"

But Shear, a 50-year-old religious woman, says that on the morning of the 24th, a man got onto the bus and demanded her seat - even though there were a number of other seats available in the front of the bus.

"I said, I'm not moving and he said, 'I'm not asking you, I'm telling you.' Then he spat in my face and at that point, I was in high adrenaline mode and called him a son-of-a-bitch, which I am not proud of. Then I spat back. At that point, he pushed me down and people on the bus were screaming that I was crazy. Four men surrounded me and slapped my face, punched me in the chest, pulled at my clothes, beat me, kicked me. My snood [hair covering] came off. I was fighting back and kicked one of the men in his privates. I will never forget the look on his face."

Shear says that when she bent down in the aisle to retrieve her hair covering, "one of the men kicked me in the face. Thank God he missed my eye. I got up and punched him. I said, 'I want my hair covering back' but he wouldn't give it to me, so I took his black hat and threw it in the aisle."

'Stupid American'

Throughout the encounter, Shear says the bus driver "did nothing." The other passengers, she says, blamed her for not moving to the back of the bus and called her a "stupid American with no sechel [common sense.] People blamed me for not knowing my place and not going to the back of the bus where I belong."

According to Yehoshua Meyer, the eyewitness to the incident, Shear's account is entirely accurate. "I saw everything," he said. "Someone got on the bus and demanded that she go to the back, but she didn't agree. She was badly beaten and her whole body sustained hits and kicks. She tried to fight back and no one would help her. I tried to help, but someone was stopping me from getting up. My phone's battery was dead, so I couldn't call the police. I yelled for the bus driver to stop. He stopped once, but he didn't do anything. When we finally got to the Kotel [Western Wall], she was beaten badly and I helped her go to the police."

Shear says that when she first started riding the No. 2 line, she did not even know that it was sometimes sex-segregated. She also says that sitting in the front is simply more comfortable. "I'm a 50-year-old woman and I don't like to sit in the back. I'm dressed appropriately and I was on a public bus."

"It is very dangerous for a group of people to take control over a public entity and enforce their will without going through due process," she said. "Even if they [Haredim who want a segregated bus] are a majority - and I don't think they are - they have options available. They can petition Egged or hire their own private line. But as long as it's a public bus, I don't care if there are 500 people telling me where to sit. I can sit wherever I want and so can anyone else."

Meyer says that throughout the incident, the other passengers blamed Shear for not sitting in the back. "They'll probably claim that she attacked them first, but that's totally untrue. She was abused terribly, and I've never seen anything like it."

Word of Shear's story traveled quickly after she forwarded an e-mail detailing her experience. She has been contacted by a number of groups, including Shatil, the New Israel Fund's Empowerment and Training Center for Social Change; Kolech, a religious women's forum; the Israel Religious Action Center (IRAC), the legal advocacy arm of the local Reform movement; and the Jewish Orthodox Feminist Alliance (JOFA).

In the coming month, IRAC will be submitting a petition to the High Court of Justice against the Transportation Ministry over the issue of segregated Egged buses. IRAC attorney Orly Erez-Likhovski is in touch with Shear and is considering including her in the petition.

Although the No. 2 Jerusalem bus where the incident occurred is not actually defined as a mehadrin line, Erez-Likhovski says that Shear's story is further proof that the issue requires legal clarification. About 30 Egged buses are designated as mehadrin, mostly on inter-city lines, but they are not marked to indicate this. "There's no way to identify a mehadrin bus, which in itself is a problem," she said.

"Theoretically, a person can sit wherever they want, even on a mehadrin line, but we're seeing that people are enforcing [the gender segregation] even on non-mehadrin lines and that's the part of the danger," she said.

On a mehadrin bus, women enter and exit through the rear door, and the seats from the rear door back are generally considered the "women's section." A child is usually sent forward to pay the driver.

The official responses

In a response from Egged, the bus driver denied that Shear was physically attacked in any way.

"In a thorough inquiry that we conducted, we found that the bus driver does not confirm that any violence was used against the complainant," Egged spokesman Ron Ratner wrote.

"According to the driver, once he saw that there was a crowd gathering around her, he stopped the bus and went to check what was going on. He clarified to the passengers that the bus was not a mehadrin line and that all passengers on the line are permitted to sit wherever they want on the bus. After making sure that the passengers returned to their seats, he continued driving."

The Egged response also noted that their drivers "are not able and are not authorized to supervise the behavior of the passengers in all situations."

Ministry of Transportation spokesperson Avner Ovadia said in response that the mehadrin lines are "the result of agreements reached between Egged and Haredi bodies" and are therefore unconnected to the ministry.

A spokesperson for the Jerusalem police said the case is still under investigation.
This is totally disgusting. I'm sure that Saml will find some reasonable excuse for this.
mykarma is online now  
post #6 of 103 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Veelieve!!!
 
Infiniti2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 27,000
 
Re: Woman beaten on Jerusalem bus for refusing to move to rear seat

Quote:
"I said, I'm not moving and he said, 'I'm not asking you, I'm telling you.' Then he spat in my face and at that point, I was in high adrenaline mode and called him a son-of-a-bitch, which I am not proud of. Then I spat back. At that point, he pushed me down and people on the bus were screaming that I was crazy. Four men surrounded me and slapped my face, punched me in the chest, pulled at my clothes, beat me, kicked me. My snood [hair covering] came off. I was fighting back and kicked one of the men in his privates I will never forget the look on his face."

Shear says that when she bent down in the aisle to retrieve her hair covering, "one of the men kicked me in the face. Thank God he missed my eye. I got up and punched him. I said, 'I want my hair covering back' but he wouldn't give it to me, so I took his black hat and threw it in the aisle."
The incident is disgusting---I so despise men who treat women like 2nd class citizens Meanwhile, I am very proud of this woman for fighting back ... Hope the groin kick was hard enough for him to remember
Infiniti2001 is offline  
post #7 of 103 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Qrystyna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: South Africa
Posts: 4,419
                     
Re: Woman beaten on Jerusalem bus for refusing to move to rear seat

Hmmmm I thought only muslims supposedly did this

Serena Williams/Venus Williams/Angelique Kerber/Serena-Rose Zhang/Qrystyna Wang/Golden Flowers


Guest's career
Qrystyna is offline  
post #8 of 103 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Senior Member
 
hablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: canada
Posts: 49,122
                     
Re: Woman beaten on Jerusalem bus for refusing to move to rear seat

That woman has some guts for fighting back !

GO HABS GO

GO all Canuck players GO
hablo is offline  
post #9 of 103 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Senior Member
 
mykarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 27,990
                     
Re: Woman beaten on Jerusalem bus for refusing to move to rear seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratfan View Post
Hmmmm I thought only muslims supposedly did this
My sentiments exactly.
mykarma is online now  
post #10 of 103 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Senior Member
 
kiwifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 9,737
                     
Re: Woman beaten on Jerusalem bus for refusing to move to rear seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureracket View Post
This reminds me so much of the Rosa Parks episode during the American Civil Rights movement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti2001 View Post
The incident is disgusting---I so despise men who treat women like 2nd class citizens Meanwhile, I am very proud of this woman for fighting back ... Hope the groin kick was hard enough for him to remember

kiwifan is offline  
post #11 of 103 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Beware Of The Dog, Bitch.
 
!<blocparty>!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: LAX, JFK & LHR.
Posts: 21,942
                     
Re: Woman beaten on Jerusalem bus for refusing to move to rear seat

I wonder how often shit like this happens over there, and what would be happening had she not been from the West.

Women's tennis sucks.
~


Go Rafa.

!<blocparty>! is offline  
post #12 of 103 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2006, 01:41 AM
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
 
Couver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 18,151
                     
Re: Woman beaten on Jerusalem bus for refusing to move to rear seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykarma View Post
This is totally disgusting. I'm sure that Saml will find some reasonable excuse for this.
He probably won't read it. I think he just looks for articles that are in line with what he believes and then pretends nothing else exists outside of his close minded world. That or he'll spin it and somehow find away to blame Muslims and Islam.

As for the article, that's terrible. I just can't understand why people just can't treat one another with some respect. Yes as a species we can be annoying and get on each others nerves. But to disrespect another living human being like this is truly shameful.

Couver is offline  
post #13 of 103 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2006, 05:05 AM
Enjoying married life.
 
Wigglytuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: lolcat
Posts: 19,642
                     
Re: Woman beaten on Jerusalem bus for refusing to move to rear seat

this is fucking sick. what what kind of sub human monster beats up an old lady for a seat on a bus that is full of seats??

i hope that some major ill befalls the sub human monsters who beat up this old lady and to the equally sub human monsters who sat and watched. i would be nice if this woman got to see justice but since that doesnt seem possible. i just hope the pricks who did this are struck by lighting, killed by boars, or otherwise forced by the universe to suffer some major ill.

"racism is dead, it died when MLK walked on a bridge and freed the slaves. Now we have a socialist Kenyan president who is not an American and if anyone mentions race they are a reverse racist (while racism is dead, reverse racism is alive and well.) #whattheyteachyouatfox"
Wigglytuff is offline  
post #14 of 103 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2006, 05:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,292
                     
Re: Woman beaten on Jerusalem bus for refusing to move to rear seat

It's Rosa Parksteinman!
njnetswill is offline  
post #15 of 103 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2006, 05:31 AM
Enjoying married life.
 
Wigglytuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: lolcat
Posts: 19,642
                     
Re: Woman beaten on Jerusalem bus for refusing to move to rear seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnetswill View Post
It's Rosa Parksteinman!

"racism is dead, it died when MLK walked on a bridge and freed the slaves. Now we have a socialist Kenyan president who is not an American and if anyone mentions race they are a reverse racist (while racism is dead, reverse racism is alive and well.) #whattheyteachyouatfox"
Wigglytuff is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome