Degree In Linguistics!? CAREER BRAINSTORMING - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 2006, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
LH2HBH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,071
                     
Degree In Linguistics!? CAREER BRAINSTORMING

What can you do with a degree in linguistics? Give me Ideas!

Мари́я Ю́рьевна Шара́пова​ , Јелена Јанковић, Venus Williams.
LH2HBH is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Senior Member
 
azdaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Itävalta
Posts: 18,007
                     
Re: Degree In Linguistics!? CAREER BRAINSTORMING

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguydsl View Post
What can you do with a degree in linguistics? Give me Ideas!
it depends on the field you study. it can be purely academic research on the nature of different aspects of language (phonology, synthax etc.) or history of languages. you can try to work out how different languages are related if you study comparative linguistics. some more practical fields that could get you a job outside of a university would be discourse analysis (analysis of texts and conversations, actually widely used in business training, among others), language acquistion (you could work on new methods of learning languages or working on books for foreign languages), psycholinguistics and clinical linguistics is about speech problems and computational linguistics is about processing natural languages with computers. for the most part even these fields are tied to some academic institution.

that would be a very short summary.
azdaja is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
CooCooCachoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 63,574
                     
Re: Degree In Linguistics!? CAREER BRAINSTORMING

Delve in deep in the wonderful world of phonemes and lexemes

CHARDY | CHIUDINELLI | CIPOLLA


Bemelmans|Camerin|Cornet|Crivoi|Cuevas|Dentoni|Dod ig|Garbin|Granollers
Hlavackova|Ilhan|Kohli|Kuznetsov|Lammer|Mannarino| Menendez|Phau|Polansky
Rezaï|Robredo|Roger-Vasselin|Srebotnik|Szavay|Wörle|Zverev

CooCooCachoo is offline  
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Reuchlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,825
                     
Re: Degree In Linguistics!? CAREER BRAINSTORMING

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguydsl View Post
What can you do with a degree in linguistics? Give me Ideas!
I took some linguistics courses in university and thought that they were far more practical than many of the other 'humanities' that I took. Having a linguist in the family I know about the pos. career options:

1.Translator (you'd have to learn another language though)
2.editor (everything from science textbooks to novels)
3.teacher (TEFOL, TESOL etc)

Of course, I'd rec. getting a graduate degree, it might help your chances of a job.

Venus: US Open Champ (2000, 2001) Wimbledon Champ (2000, 2001, 2005, 2007)
Reuchlin is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
controlfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 5,857
                     
Re: Degree In Linguistics!? CAREER BRAINSTORMING

Go to an italian restaurant and when they say in the interview "what do you know about linguini" you can say "well I have a degree in the science of linguini" and they will believe you and hire you instantly and then you will have to learn to make pasta really fast so as not to get fired out of a cannon.

(ok I was not being serious about the cannon part)
controlfreak is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Senior Member
 
drake3781's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 15,915
                     
Re: Degree In Linguistics!? CAREER BRAINSTORMING

Why Study Linguistics and Applied Linguistics

Employers seek individuals with the ability to express themselves clearly,to solve novel problems and to present their solutions in a clear and accessible form. These skills are central to the study of Linguistics.

In a period when Australian culture is coming to terms with the need to relate to the worldwide mosaic of non-English speaking cultures, and when information and communication are moving to technological centre stage, there is a growing demand for people equipped to analyse language. An increasing number of employers, ranging from language teachers to engineers of knowledge systems and speech synthesis, from translators to managers to designers of natural-language interfaces for computers, from lexicographers to lawyers to bilingual schools in Aboriginal communities, realise the value of a sound training in Linguistics.

Many graduates welcome the opportunity to travel after graduation. One passport to working overseas is teaching English as a Foreign Language. While Applied Linguistics in your degree will not provide you with the teaching qualification you will need, it will give you a head start in understanding and orienting you to the area and will give you relevant knowledge and analytical skills.

Graduates with a background in Applied linguistics also gain an enhanced understanding of how people learn first, second and foreign languages and of how language is used in the community. These skills will be relevant to students interested in preparing for careers as language teachers, language education and assessment experts, speech pathologists, interpreters and translators, and a variety of jobs in industry where language and communication are issues are of concern. This background is also relevant preparation for postgraduate study in Applied Linguistics, Education, Linguistics, and Languages Other Than English.

Graduates of the Bachelor of Arts gain enhanced social awareness and sophisticated interpersonal skills which fit them to join the workforce as potential managers and leaders. Graduates are able to transfer the skills they acquire across many sectors such as government, education, the arts, and commerce and industry, where they work as administrators, archivists, art conservationists and curators, criminologists, editors, historians, journalists and media professionals, social workers, teachers and public relations and advertising professionals. Graduates are also well-placed to upgrade and increase their professional skills within the Faculty by undertaking further professionally-related graduate diplomas.


Studying Linguistics and Applied Linguistics teaches a wide range of generic skills that are useful in many ways, it also provides specific skills that are central to a wide range of occupations.


Language teaching
Whether it's teaching foreign languages, or English as a second language, or travelling the world teaching English, Linguistics and Applied Linguistics lay essential foundations. Once teaching, higher qualifications in Linguistics and Applied Linguistics considerably increase your career prospects.

Information technology
As the IT industry rapidly expands direct interaction between people and machines the demand increases for linguists to work on speech recognition and synthesis, and on developing computers facility to interpret and generate natural language.

Speech therapy and speech pathology
A background in Linguistics and Applied Linguistics is a definite advantage in work helping people like stroke victims and the developmentally disabled overcome speech difficulties.

Translation and interpreting
Careers in translation and interpreting can be attractive in pay and conditions, and Linguistics and Applied Linguistics provide unique skills in cross-linguistic and cross-cultural communication.

Working with Aboriginal communities
The languages and cultures of Australia's indigenous people are rapidly being lost, and many indigenous schools and communities employ trained linguists to help provide language and literacy materials. Linguists can also play a part in land-rights claims.

Employment in multicultural Australia
Training in linguistics provides skills that can lead to employment working with minority community groups, or with government to develop policies and programs on multilingualism and community languages.

Publishing
Linguists are needed by publishers to work on language reference books such as dictionaries and thesauruses, and on language-teaching materials, and the demand for these kinds of books is huge.
drake3781 is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
CooCooCachoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 63,574
                     
Re: Degree In Linguistics!? CAREER BRAINSTORMING

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlfreak View Post
Go to an italian restaurant and when they say in the interview "what do you know about linguini" you can say "well I have a degree in the science of linguini" and they will believe you and hire you instantly and then you will have to learn to make pasta really fast so as not to get fired out of a cannon.

(ok I was not being serious about the cannon part)

CHARDY | CHIUDINELLI | CIPOLLA


Bemelmans|Camerin|Cornet|Crivoi|Cuevas|Dentoni|Dod ig|Garbin|Granollers
Hlavackova|Ilhan|Kohli|Kuznetsov|Lammer|Mannarino| Menendez|Phau|Polansky
Rezaï|Robredo|Roger-Vasselin|Srebotnik|Szavay|Wörle|Zverev

CooCooCachoo is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Senior Member
 
azdaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Itävalta
Posts: 18,007
                     
Re: Degree In Linguistics!? CAREER BRAINSTORMING

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake3781 View Post
Language teaching
Whether it's teaching foreign languages, or English as a second language, or travelling the world teaching English, Linguistics and Applied Linguistics lay essential foundations. Once teaching, higher qualifications in Linguistics and Applied Linguistics considerably increase your career prospects.

Information technology
As the IT industry rapidly expands direct interaction between people and machines the demand increases for linguists to work on speech recognition and synthesis, and on developing computers facility to interpret and generate natural language.

Speech therapy and speech pathology
A background in Linguistics and Applied Linguistics is a definite advantage in work helping people like stroke victims and the developmentally disabled overcome speech difficulties.

Translation and interpreting
Careers in translation and interpreting can be attractive in pay and conditions, and Linguistics and Applied Linguistics provide unique skills in cross-linguistic and cross-cultural communication.

Working with Aboriginal communities
The languages and cultures of Australia's indigenous people are rapidly being lost, and many indigenous schools and communities employ trained linguists to help provide language and literacy materials. Linguists can also play a part in land-rights claims.

Employment in multicultural Australia
Training in linguistics provides skills that can lead to employment working with minority community groups, or with government to develop policies and programs on multilingualism and community languages.

Publishing
Linguists are needed by publishers to work on language reference books such as dictionaries and thesauruses, and on language-teaching materials, and the demand for these kinds of books is huge.
yep, that's what i was talking about, only put in a nicer way

i actually study linguistics, but i'm not sure if i will ever complete my studies it doesn't matter much, though, because i do it out of interest more than anything else, but if i make it computational linguistics would be my field.
azdaja is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Senior Member
 
fifiricci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cymru
Posts: 8,570
                     
Re: Degree In Linguistics!? CAREER BRAINSTORMING

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlfreak View Post
Go to an italian restaurant and when they say in the interview "what do you know about linguini" you can say "well I have a degree in the science of linguini" and they will believe you and hire you instantly and then you will have to learn to make pasta really fast so as not to get fired out of a cannon.

(ok I was not being serious about the cannon part)


I'd hesitate to give the thread starter (or anyone else for that matter) hard and fast advice about career choices. I think you need to know someone pretty well to be able to do that with any kind of success.

I studied French and Italian in university (or "frog and wop" as they were known in the trade ) and as part of that did a linguistics module. Personally, I found linguistics complex and fascinating in almost equal measure (possibly showing up my dull intellect), but felt that it was essentially a very very academic subject. This view of it might have been caused in part by our linguistics lecturer, who was a total "nerd" and looked like on old testament character. Nice enough bloke (and a bit of a letch actually), but seemed completely out of touch with "real" life if you ask me.

Linguistics is a fascinating subject, just not sure you can do a whole lot with it in the "real" world.

But obviously, my limited experience of it may not be typical. Being a relative "wrinkly" on the board, it may also be that there are now 101 things you CAN do with a linguistics degree that you could't do in the early 80s

Patiently waiting to join the silver surfers
fifiricci is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
controlfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 5,857
                     
Re: Degree In Linguistics!? CAREER BRAINSTORMING

I trained as a locksmith at university; it opened many doors for me...
controlfreak is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Miss Verstand
 
Maajken's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Thighland
Posts: 16,531
                     
Re: Degree In Linguistics!? CAREER BRAINSTORMING

Translating with a degree in linguistics is hardly an option, or you'd have to be self-employed, cause 9 times out of 10 you're going to lose out to someone who has a degree in translating itself.

Men när natten är ljus - I ditt sjuttiotalshus
Och du är ånga, spår av ett moln
I en dröm om att fly till någonting nytt

Och du håller så hårt och när längtan blir svår
Så är jag din, din, din att ta med
Att ta ut, att ta in i någonting nytt
Maajken is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2006, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
LH2HBH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,071
                     
Re: Degree In Linguistics!? CAREER BRAINSTORMING

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifiricci View Post


I'd hesitate to give the thread starter (or anyone else for that matter) hard and fast advice about career choices. I think you need to know someone pretty well to be able to do that with any kind of success.

I studied French and Italian in university (or "frog and wop" as they were known in the trade ) and as part of that did a linguistics module. Personally, I found linguistics complex and fascinating in almost equal measure (possibly showing up my dull intellect), but felt that it was essentially a very very academic subject. This view of it might have been caused in part by our linguistics lecturer, who was a total "nerd" and looked like on old testament character. Nice enough bloke (and a bit of a letch actually), but seemed completely out of touch with "real" life if you ask me.

Linguistics is a fascinating subject, just not sure you can do a whole lot with it in the "real" world.

But obviously, my limited experience of it may not be typical. Being a relative "wrinkly" on the board, it may also be that there are now 101 things you CAN do with a linguistics degree that you could't do in the early 80s

Thank you for you comments. I don't think the fact that you found linguistics complex and fascinating shows dull intellect, in fact I think just the opposite. I think it's a fascinating subject and I would love to learn more.

Мари́я Ю́рьевна Шара́пова​ , Јелена Јанковић, Venus Williams.
LH2HBH is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Senior Member
 
416_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,103
                     
Re: Degree In Linguistics!? CAREER BRAINSTORMING

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlfreak View Post
I trained as a locksmith at university; it opened many doors for me...
Kieeellled.
416_Man is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
CooCooCachoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 63,574
                     
Re: Degree In Linguistics!? CAREER BRAINSTORMING

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416_Man View Post
Kieeellled.

CHARDY | CHIUDINELLI | CIPOLLA


Bemelmans|Camerin|Cornet|Crivoi|Cuevas|Dentoni|Dod ig|Garbin|Granollers
Hlavackova|Ilhan|Kohli|Kuznetsov|Lammer|Mannarino| Menendez|Phau|Polansky
Rezaï|Robredo|Roger-Vasselin|Srebotnik|Szavay|Wörle|Zverev

CooCooCachoo is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Great Northwoods
Posts: 10,806
                     
Re: Degree In Linguistics!? CAREER BRAINSTORMING

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlfreak View Post
I trained as a locksmith at university; it opened many doors for me...
That's all folks, I'll be here all week. Drive carefully and don't forget to tip your waitress.

"When we are young we generally estimate an opinion by the size of the person that holds it, but later we find that is an uncertain rule, for we realize that there are times when a hornet's opinion disturbs us more than an emperor's" - Mark Twain

"The noblest work of God? Man. Who found it out? Man." - Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H.L. Menken
meyerpl is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome