Top Democrat Rangle (D-NY) Reiterates Call For Draft - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2006, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
SelesFan70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11,028
                     
Top Democrat Rangle (D-NY) Reiterates Call For Draft

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - An influential Democratic lawmaker on Sunday called for reinstatement of the draft as a way to boost U.S. troop levels and draw a broader section of the population into the military or public service.

U.S. Rep. Charles Rangel (news, bio, voting record), the incoming chairman of the House of Representatives' tax-writing committee, said he would introduce legislation to reinstate the draft as soon as the new, Democratic-controlled Congress convenes in January.

Asked on CBS' "Face the Nation" if he was still serious about the proposal for a universal draft he raised a couple of years ago, he said, "You bet your life. Underscore serious."

"If we're going to challenge Iran and challenge North Korea and then, as some people have asked, to send more troops to Iraq, we can't do that without a draft," he said.

Rangel, who opposed the 2003 invasion of Iraq, also said he did not think the United States would have invaded Iraq if the children of members of Congress were sent to fight. He has said the U.S. fighting force is comprised disproportionately of people from low-income families and minorities.

"I don't see how anyone can support the war and not support the draft. I think to do so is hypocritical," he said.

The New York Democrat had introduced legislation to reinstate the draft in January 2003 before the Iraq invasion. The Pentagon has said the all-volunteer army is working well and there is no need for a draft, and the idea had no traction in the Republican-led Congress.

Democrats gained control of both the House and Senate for the first time in 12 years in the November 7 election, and a wholesale change in the leadership of Congress is to be made in January. Rangel is to head the House Ways and Means Committee, which is charged with U.S. tax and trade legislation.

The draft was in place from 1948 to 1973, when the United States converted to an all-volunteer army. But almost all men living in the United States - including most male noncitizens - are required to register with the Selective Service upon reaching 18, and federal benefits, including financial aid for college studies, are contingent on registration.

Rangel said his legislation on the draft would also offer the alternative of a couple of years of public service with educational benefits.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061119/...itics_draft_dc


Tammy Bruce RightSideOfTheRainbow

Liberals: Hard on the unborn, soft on terrorists

Man-made climate change is a LIE

COUNTDOWN!
SelesFan70 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Guest
 
*JR*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the Peace Train
Posts: 34,247
                     
Re: Top Democrat Rangle (D-NY) Reiterates Call For Draft

Maybe if our leaders had served themselves, they wouldn't be so quick to send other ppl's kids to die. (Or would have @ least fully armored the Humvees, etc. like the limo's that the members of Congress were evacuated from Capitol Hill in a year or two ago due to a threat against the building).
*JR* is offline  
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Senior Member
 
drake3781's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 15,915
                     
Re: Top Democrat Rangle (D-NY) Reiterates Call For Draft

This idea needs to be discussed publicly. Too many people think they will support this so-called war, but *other* people will do the dirty work. I will be shocked if any action comes of it, but the debate - and the possibility that it could happen - are necessary to force people to take responsibility for their actions. (even if only in a mental exercise).
drake3781 is offline  
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: florida
Posts: 24,630
                     
Re: Top Democrat Rangle (D-NY) Reiterates Call For Draft

He knows that he'll be defeated on this, but it's cool that he's seeking to draw attention to the rich blindly seeking WMD when they don't even fight the wars.

People who are currently in the White House, coincidentally, never served in the military.

-one of those "bad" Williams fans that everyone keeps talking about


OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline  
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2006, 09:55 PM
country flag RVD
Senior Member
 
RVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 32,545
                     
Re: Top Democrat Rangle (D-NY) Reiterates Call For Draft

U.S. Rep. Charles Rangel's logic is only partly sound. However, no legislation in the world will force kids of the rich and affluent families to enlist. Regardless of party affiliation.
Sure, their names may appear on the military rosters, but just as Bush did, they will probably rarely or if ever show up for training. Or worse yet, become officers and kill untold thousands because they never showed up to officer’s training.
Also, the argument for a draft is yet unjustified, since the template for instituting one is based primarily os an illegal war. Therefore, IMHO, this proposal may get it’s 15 minutes of fame on the floor of The House, but will most certainly die there.

Here is one of those times where a democrat has his head embedded firmly up his own a**.

Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery. - Malcolm X
A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything. - Malcolm X
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline  
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Senior Member
 
drake3781's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 15,915
                     
Re: Top Democrat Rangle (D-NY) Reiterates Call For Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeVeeDynasty View Post
U.S. Rep. Charles Rangel's logic is only partly sound. However, no legislation in the world will force kids of the rich and affluent families to enlist. Regardless of party affiliation.
Sure, their names may appear on the military rosters, but just as Bush did, they will probably rarely or if ever show up for training. Or worse yet, become officers and kill untold thousands because they never showed up to officer’s training.
Also, the argument for a draft is yet unjustified, since the template for instituting one is based primarily os an illegal war. Therefore, IMHO, this proposal may get it’s 15 minutes of fame on the floor of The House, but will most certainly die there.

Here is one of those times where a democrat has his head embedded firmly up his own a**.

Well, I disagree with you. Just because the proposal will not come to a conclusion, it doesn't mean that the discussion and thoughtful consderation of the proposal is without merit. IMO it is not only useful but necessary to have this discussion at a national level.

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. The longer the system allows people to artificially avoid facing this truth, the longer we have irresponsible use and abuse of power.
drake3781 is offline  
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Scotso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 47,044
                     
Re: Top Democrat Rangle (D-NY) Reiterates Call For Draft

I say we draft every American into the army. All of us.
Scotso is offline  
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2006, 11:01 PM
country flag RVD
Senior Member
 
RVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 32,545
                     
Re: Top Democrat Rangle (D-NY) Reiterates Call For Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake3781 View Post
Well, I disagree with you. Just because the proposal will not come to a conclusion, it doesn't mean that the discussion and thoughtful consderation of the proposal is without merit. IMO it is not only useful but necessary to have this discussion at a national level.

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. The longer the system allows people to artificially avoid facing this truth, the longer we have irresponsible use and abuse of power.
I think you may have misunderstood my post. Sure the proposal itself is worthy of discussion. And quite possibly some good will come of it. I'm at least hopeful.

But are you suggesting that it will pass The House of Representatives at a time when the Iraqi war is spiraling out of control?
I'm saying that it is a grave mistake to base such a proposal on a quagmire. And that Congress will NEVER promote an idea that jeopardizes their children. this, in and of itself, is the beauty of the proposal. No more, no less.

Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery. - Malcolm X
A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything. - Malcolm X
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline  
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Senior Member
 
drake3781's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 15,915
                     
Re: Top Democrat Rangle (D-NY) Reiterates Call For Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeVeeDynasty View Post
I think you may have misunderstood my post. Sure the proposal itself is worthy of discussion. And quite possibly some good will come of it. I'm at least hopeful.

But are you suggesting that it will pass The House of Representatives at a time when the Iraqi war is spiraling out of control?
I'm saying that it is a grave mistake to base such a proposal on a quagmire. And that Congress will NEVER promote an idea that jeopardizes their children. this, in and of itself, is the beauty of the proposal. No more, no less.
I'm simply saying it will not pass, but it is worth the debate anyway. And I don't see any grave mistake.
drake3781 is offline  
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Senior Member
 
drake3781's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 15,915
                     
Re: Top Democrat Rangle (D-NY) Reiterates Call For Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake3781 View Post
I'm simply saying it will not pass, but it is worth the debate anyway. And I don't see any grave mistake.
P.S. I've been awake for 28 hours... 2 more until I can sleep for the night... so please forgive my writing. (I usually try to be less blunt. )
drake3781 is offline  
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2006, 11:29 PM
 
harloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Wonderland Arts Society
Posts: 18,990
                     
Re: Top Democrat Rangle (D-NY) Reiterates Call For Draft

Rangle's proposal will be shot down once again, but I like the man's fight. Considering the fact that Bush will make one last push to win in Iraq by deploying 20,000 more soldiers someone needs to open up the debate. When he finally realizes Iraq is slowly becoming this generations Vietnam it will be too late.

Most Americans regardless of party affiliation are strictly against reinstating the draft. I wish we had an exit strategy but at this point the damage has been done. I'm wondering how are we going to get out of this mess because the insurgency isn't letting up?

Here's the article:

US plans last big push in Iraq
Strategy document calls for extra 20,000 troops, aid for Iraqi army and regional summit


http://www.guardian.co.uk/internatio...ticle_continue
harloo is offline  
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Senior Member
 
drake3781's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 15,915
                     
Re: Top Democrat Rangle (D-NY) Reiterates Call For Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by harloo View Post
Rangle's proposal will be shot down once again, but I like the man's fight. Considering the fact that Bush will make one last push to win in Iraq by deploying 20,000 more soldiers someone needs to open up the debate. When he finally realizes Iraq is slowly becoming this generations Vietnam it will be too late.

Most Americans regardless of party affiliation are strictly against reinstating the draft. I wish we had an exit strategy but at this point the damage has been done. I'm wondering how are we going to get out of this mess because the insurgency isn't letting up?

Here's the article:

US plans last big push in Iraq
Strategy document calls for extra 20,000 troops, aid for Iraqi army and regional summit

http://www.guardian.co.uk/internatio...ticle_continue
I actually think this plan is the right thing to do. (However, I had heard it was McCain's plan; now it's Bush's? ) But how to get there - where do we get the resources - is what the Senate and ultimately the American people need to discuss and decide.
drake3781 is offline  
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,594
                     
Re: Top Democrat Rangle (D-NY) Reiterates Call For Draft

The chances of the draft being reinstated are very slim.
njnetswill is offline  
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2006, 12:56 AM
Guest
 
*JR*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the Peace Train
Posts: 34,247
                     
Re: Top Democrat Rangle (D-NY) Reiterates Call For Draft

I wonder if we'll evacuate our embassy in Baghdad by helicopter like in Saigon 1975.
*JR* is offline  
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2006, 01:51 AM
Veelieve!!!
 
Infiniti2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 27,951
 
Re: Top Democrat Rangle (D-NY) Reiterates Call For Draft

Rangle knows it won't pass, but it will put Bush on the spot to justify what he is doing, and make it obvious to all that making bullying noises toward Iran and North Korea is a a non-starter
Infiniti2001 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome