South Africa parliament OKs gay marriage - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2006, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,275
                     
South Africa parliament OKs gay marriage

CAPE TOWN, South Africa - The South African parliament on Tuesday approved new legislation recognizing gay marriages — a first for a continent where homosexuality is largely taboo.

The National Assembly passed the Civil Union Bill, worked out after months of heated public discussion, by a majority of 230 to 41 votes despite criticism from both traditionalists and gay activists and warnings that it might be unconsitutional. There were three abstentions.

The bill provides for the "voluntary union of two persons, which is solemnized and registered by either a marriage or civil union." It does not specify whether they are heterosexual or homosexual partnerships.

But it also says marriage officers need not perform a ceremony between same-sex couples if doing so would conflict with his or her "conscience, religion and belief."

"When we attained our democracy, we sought to distinguish ourselves from an unjust painful past, by declaring that never again shall it be that any South African will be discriminated against on the basis of color, creed culture and sex," Home Affairs Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula told the National Assembly.

The bill had been expected to pass given the overwhelming majority of the ruling
African National Congress, despite unease among rank and file lawmakers. It now has to go to the National Council of Provinces, which is expected to be a formality, before being signed into law by President Thabo Mbeki.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2006, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,275
                     
Re: South Africa parliament OKs gay marriage

"When we attained our democracy, we sought to distinguish ourselves from an unjust painful past, by declaring that never again shall it be that any South African will be discriminated against on the basis of color, creed culture and sex," Home Affairs Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula told the National Assembly.

I find that to be very important because America can't seem to comprehend this ideology especially the black community and I really find that to be ashame.

Instead there has been every obstacle put in the way against gay marriage in the U.S.
Noone cares that it's still discrimination because of the difference sexuality and color.
Noone cares that the same Bible thumpers who said that blacks had to be slaves because it was in the Bible are doing the same thing with homosexuality.
Let's not mention the Bible has been translated 6 times and whether you believe the people who wrote the Bible were under the influence of God and became infallible, the same isn't applicable to the ones who translated it.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.

Last edited by Wannabeknowitall; Nov 14th, 2006 at 03:15 PM.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Senior Member
 
venus_rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,348
                     
Re: South Africa parliament OKs gay marriage

Congrats to the South Africans! And the U.S. still continues to lag behind.

RIDE OR DIE! Down for Venus Williams



[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]


I GOT 5 ON IT!!!!! VENUS WILLIAMS 5 TIME WIMBLEDON CHAMPION!!!!!
venus_rulez is offline  
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Colombia
Posts: 4,621
                     
Re: South Africa parliament OKs gay marriage


Maria Sharapova
alfonsojose is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Qrystyna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: South Africa
Posts: 5,062
                     
Re: South Africa parliament OKs gay marriage

Nice to see South Africa joining the more progressive nations of the world!
Qrystyna is online now  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Senior Member
 
SelesFan70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11,028
                     
Re: South Africa parliament OKs gay marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeknowitall View Post
"When we attained our democracy, we sought to distinguish ourselves from an unjust painful past, by declaring that never again shall it be that any South African will be discriminated against on the basis of color, creed culture and sex," Home Affairs Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula told the National Assembly.

I find that to be very important because America can't seem to comprehend this ideology especially the black community and I really find that to be ashame.

Instead there has been every obstacle put in the way against gay marriage in the U.S.
Noone cares that it's still discrimination because of the difference sexuality and color.
Noone cares that the same Bible thumpers who said that blacks had to be slaves because it was in the Bible are doing the same thing with homosexuality.
Let's not mention the Bible has been translated 6 times and whether you believe the people who wrote the Bible were under the influence of God and became infallible, the same isn't applicable to the ones who translated it.
Agreed, but I hope you're as critical of the other major religions that villify homos, too...

Tammy Bruce RightSideOfTheRainbow

Liberals: Hard on the unborn, soft on terrorists

Man-made climate change is a LIE

COUNTDOWN!
SelesFan70 is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2006, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,275
                     
Re: South Africa parliament OKs gay marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelesFan70 View Post
Agreed, but I hope you're as critical of the other major religions that villify homos, too...
Those other religions are not attacking gay marriage in the U.S. as vocal as Christianity.
I'm not going to be critical of those other religions when it deals with America's domestic interaction with them in the dealing of homosexuality.
Outside of America, I will and have been.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Selah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: here
Posts: 640
                     
Re: South Africa parliament OKs gay marriage

Nice precedent set by S.A. I like that the government is not not being hypocritical in its policies in regards to discrimination.

Last edited by Selah; Nov 14th, 2006 at 05:32 PM.
Selah is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Pietermaritzburg, South A
Posts: 595
                     
Re: South Africa parliament OKs gay marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratfan View Post
Nice to see South Africa joining the more progressive nations of the world!

I live here. Don't get carried away. We recently had a high profile government official accused of rape who said the accuser "wanted" sex because she wore a skirt to his office. And HIV doesn't actually cause AIDS according to our health minister.
Sanneriet is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Selah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: here
Posts: 640
                     
Re: South Africa parliament OKs gay marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanneriet View Post
I live here. Don't get carried away. We recently had a high profile government official accused of rape who said the accuser "wanted" sex because she wore a skirt to his office. And HIV doesn't actually cause AIDS according to our health minister.
I get your point. But even though these are horrid sentiments believed by many, it is different than an actual policy taken by government. Now if you tell me that the health minister is setting policy on this belief of his, that is scary, and a big issue. By the way is said government official being tried for the alleged rape?
Selah is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Selah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: here
Posts: 640
                     
Re: South Africa parliament OKs gay marriage

Oh, I wanted to ask you wannabe, why are you singling out the black community in the U.S. here? I understand your point about blacks being discriminated against in the U.S. and then turning around and having anti-homophobic reactions that might lead to voting a certain way (and we should make not that it isn't all blacks, correct?). However, I don't see how that is analogous to the precedent set by South African government, after all blacks are in not largely in control of setting the policies here. Yes, again you can say by their votes but I doubt if all the blacks in every State voted for gay marriage, it would pass, for they aren't the majority. They certainly don't hold sway on a federal level, so i found your 'attack'/comparison a bit out there.
Selah is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Senior Member
 
timafi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 7,470
                     
Re: South Africa parliament OKs gay marriage

woohooo good for the SA

Trump Jr. says Obama plagiarized his quote, but not before he borrowed it from Obama and both president Bushes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/.../?tid=pm_pop_b

timafi is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2006, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,275
                     
Re: South Africa parliament OKs gay marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by baje View Post
Oh, I wanted to ask you wannabe, why are you singling out the black community in the U.S. here? I understand your point about blacks being discriminated against in the U.S. and then turning around and having anti-homophobic reactions that might lead to voting a certain way (and we should make not that it isn't all blacks, correct?). However, I don't see how that is analogous to the precedent set by South African government, after all blacks are in not largely in control of setting the policies here. Yes, again you can say by their votes but I doubt if all the blacks in every State voted for gay marriage, it would pass, for they aren't the majority. They certainly don't hold sway on a federal level, so i found your 'attack'/comparison a bit out there.
Regardless of the comments in your posts I singled out the black community because of the person who is quoted, Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula, a black South African female leader.

You will rarely if ever hear a quote like that from a black leader let alone a black person in the U.S. and for some of the reasons listed above.
Even if someone were to say something similar to that quote which has happened a couple of times, it is usually taken as an insult for whatever reason to the black community.
I still believe it's an issue whether you think it was a bit out there.

I went after Christianity who appears to be the most vocal against homosexuality in the U.S. after acknowledging the quote.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.

Last edited by Wannabeknowitall; Nov 14th, 2006 at 06:13 PM.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Pietermaritzburg, South A
Posts: 595
                     
Re: South Africa parliament OKs gay marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by baje View Post
I get your point. But even though these are horrid sentiments believed by many, it is different than an actual policy taken by government. Now if you tell me that the health minister is setting policy on this belief of his, that is scary, and a big issue. By the way is said government official being tried for the alleged rape?
Our health minister does set the policies for treatment for AIDS based on these beliefs and has publicly said that anti-retrovirals are not effective treatments but herbal remedies are. The minister was tried and acquitted.
Sanneriet is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Selah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: here
Posts: 640
                     
Re: South Africa parliament OKs gay marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanneriet View Post
Our health minister does set the policies for treatment for AIDS based on these beliefs and has publicly said that anti-retrovirals are not effective treatments but herbal remedies are. The minister was tried and acquitted.
That is pretty scary stuff considering the incidence of HIV/AIDS in that region.

Wannabe- fair enuff
Selah is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome