GOP and environmental issues - TennisForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2006, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter
 
Sam L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 35,061
                     
Lightbulb GOP and environmental issues

This thread is mainly for Republican voters or supporters in America and I know there are a few of you here.

One of the biggest reasons (in fact I can't think of many others) why I was glad the Democrats won the recent elections for Senate and House is actually because of the environmental issues. I actually like the GOP but I'm confused as to their policies toward environmental issues.

In the 70's and 80's, the Republican presidents led the environmental movement with the EPA and other initiatives. <-- Correct me if this is wrong.

But then in the last few years, in fact, since George Bush became president, the environment has taken the absolute back seat. WHY?

Shouldn't environmental protection be a big issue for the Republican party like anyone else? Do you guys think this would be something that will change in the next two years and beyond?
Sam L is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 317
                     
Re: GOP and environmental issues

Originally posted by Sam_L
Quote:
In the 70's and 80's, the Republican presidents led the environmental movement with the EPA and other initiatives. <-- Correct me if this is wrong.

But then in the last few years, in fact, since George Bush became president, the environment has taken the absolute back seat. WHY?

You are absolutely right - Republicans did lead the way on environmental issues. But as always, the Energy Industry lobbyists got involved, and all of a sudden, clean air, clean water and all other environmental issues have to take a back seat. I honestly think that the best thing we can do for political reform in the U.S. is to ban special interests from contributing to candidates completely so that the people can reclaim their government.
McQuest is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,353
                     
Re: GOP and environmental issues

Well it is not like things were any better under Clinton. Yes sure Bush did not sign the Kyoto treaty but at least he is not hypocritical. Most of the nations that signed the treaty have not been able to implement it and so it is as good as not signing it. If a Democrat comes to power next election, mark my word they too won't sign the treaty.
Nixon was the President that established the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency). Republicans are as capable as Democrats to preserve (or ruin) nature. But what I can say is that the U.S. has done a far better job with the environment then USSR. Communism has been a fiasco for the environment. The Aral sea for instance is almost gone thanks to Soviet negligence.

Last edited by Lord Nelson; Nov 20th, 2006 at 12:16 PM.
Lord Nelson is offline  
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: florida
Posts: 24,587
                     
Re: GOP and environmental issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Nelson View Post
well it is not like things were any better under Clinton. Yes sure Bush did not sign the Kyoto treaty but at least it is not hypocritical. Most of the nations that signed the treaty have not been able to implement it and so it is as good as not signing it. If a Demcorat comes to power next election, amrk my word they toow on't sign the treaty.
Nixon was the President that established the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency). Republicans are as capable as democrats to preserve (or ruin) nature. But what I can say is that the U.S. has done a far better job with the environment then USSR. Communism has been a fiasco for the environment. The Aral sea for instance is almost gone thanks to Soviet negligence.
Umm. . . .Republican. .. cough. . voters. . .cough. . In America.

-one of those "bad" Williams fans that everyone keeps talking about


OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is online now  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: sydney
Posts: 6,145
                     
Re: GOP and environmental issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
This thread is mainly for Republican voters or supporters in America and I know there are a few of you here.

One of the biggest reasons (in fact I can't think of many others) why I was glad the Democrats won the recent elections for Senate and House is actually because of the environmental issues. I actually like the GOP but I'm confused as to their policies toward environmental issues.

In the 70's and 80's, the Republican presidents led the environmental movement with the EPA and other initiatives. <-- Correct me if this is wrong.

But then in the last few years, in fact, since George Bush became president, the environment has taken the absolute back seat. WHY?

Shouldn't environmental protection be a big issue for the Republican party like anyone else? Do you guys think this would be something that will change in the next two years and beyond?
Im sure you know the answer to your question Sam.

The reason environmental issues arent important to the GOP is because the concerns of environmentalits, clash with the concerns of big business - the two oppose each other.

It will cost companies a lot of money to lessen the imprint they leave on Earth, and therefore they dont want to change anything. It all comes back to profit.

The big companies fund the election of the GOP, so obviously their needs will be put ahead of future generations of americans.
Philbo is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Senior Member
 
gentenaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: land of the incompetent
Posts: 34,743
                     
Re: GOP and environmental issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Nelson View Post
Well it is not like things were any better under Clinton. Yes sure Bush did not sign the Kyoto treaty but at least he is not hypocritical. Most of the nations that signed the treaty have not been able to implement it and so it is as good as not signing it.
Excuse me? All the countries that signed have at least made an effort, which is more than the US can say. It's not because not everyone can meet the requirements, that they're not trying to. Every bit counts.

Everything you do continues long after you've gone
gentenaire is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,353
                     
Re: GOP and environmental issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentenaire View Post
Excuse me? All the countries that signed have at least made an effort, which is more than the US can say. It's not because not everyone can meet the requirements, that they're not trying to. Every bit counts.
I see no effort being made on the part of most signantors of the treaty. What effort are you talking about? They are not even close to implementing conditions of treaty. The bit of effort could be the same as that of the U.S. which has not signed the treaty. Look at the data for nations that signed treaty and see how much of it they have impelemented. You may be in for a shock.
Lord Nelson is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Kunal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 12,930
                     
Re: GOP and environmental issues

i feel that this issue will take the backburner

I'm not young enough to know everything.
Kunal is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome