Rudy Giuliani take first steps towards becoming President in 2008 - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2006, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Kunal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 12,930
                     
Rudy Giuliani take first steps towards becoming President in 2008

http://www.forbes.com/entrepreneurs/...ap3170152.html

AP: Giuliani Takes Step Toward '08 Bid

Former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani, a moderate Republican best known for his stewardship of the city after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, has taken the first step in a 2008 presidential bid, GOP officials said Monday.

The former mayor filed papers to create the Rudy Giuliani Presidential Exploratory Committee, Inc., establishing a panel that would allow him to raise money for a White House run and travel the country.

The four-page filing, obtained by The Associated Press, lists the purpose of the non-profit corporation "to conduct federal 'testing the waters' activity under the Federal Election Campaign Act for Rudy Giuliani."

The paperwork is signed by Bobby Burchfield, a partner at the DC-based law firm of McDermott Will & Emery, a firm that handles political work.

Giuliani spokeswoman Sunny Mindel declined to comment.

Giuliani was widely praised for leading the city during and after the terror attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. He has said for months that he would wait until the end of the 2006 elections to decide whether to embark on a White House bid.

The former mayor is a moderate who supports gun control and abortion rights, stands that would put him at odds with the majority of GOP conservative base.

Still, the Giuliani brand remains strong; he headlined fundraisers for Republican candidates nationwide and his travel has done little to deny 2008 ambitions. During a visit earlier this month to Columbia, S.C., Giuliani dodged the question: "There's a chance, but that's after this election is over."

He then left South Carolina for New Hampshire, site of the nation's first primary and another GOP fundraiser.

Giuliani enjoys strong name recognition and roughly the same level of support as Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Arizona Sen. John McCain. Rice has insisted that she will not run; McCain is likely to file his papers creating an exploratory committee shortly.

Giuliani, who was in his final days as New York City mayor when a pair of planes crashed into the World Trade Center's towers, became a national hero. Within hours of the attack, the mayor was visiting the site, caked in dust and walking through the chaos - a moment replayed repeatedly on television.

Assuming the role of "America's Mayor" and Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2001, Giuliani remained an in-demand speaker and GOP fundraiser. He was the first Republican to lead New York in decades, had cut crime and redeveloped rundown parts of the city.

He was a former U.S. attorney, leading campaigns against organized crime and corruption. He spent two years as the Justice Department's No. 3 post, overseeing all U.S. attorneys, the Drug Enforcement Agency and the U.S. Marshals Service. The Brooklyn native was first elected New York's mayor in 1993, pledging to improve the city.

Giuliani eyed a run for the U.S. Senate in 2000, but ended that run while battling prostate cancer and a made-for-tabloids divorce from television star Donna Hanover. The messy divorce and his relationship with Judith Nathan also made his campaign against Hillary Rodham Clinton all the more difficult.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

I'm not young enough to know everything.
Kunal is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Guest
 
*JR*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the Peace Train
Posts: 34,247
                     
Re: Rudy Giuliani take first steps towards becoming President in 2008

I never quite got the "Rudy as hero of 9/11" thing. (He was calm and comforting, but didn't do anything that I'd call an act of heroism). And as Al Sharpton said about a month later, "the people of New York City would have come together if Bozo the Clown was Mayor". (Sarcastic, but basically true).
*JR* is offline  
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Scotso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 47,044
                     
Re: Rudy Giuliani take first steps towards becoming President in 2008

Rudy was just in the right(?) place at the right time. The only reason he's famous is because he was the mayor of NYC during a terrorist attack... not because he did anything special.

If that guy becomes President, I'm leaving. He has done nothing to warrant such a high office.
Scotso is offline  
post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Vlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,710
                     
Re: Rudy Giuliani take first steps towards becoming President in 2008

Don't worry because he's not getting the nomination. The GOP used him to push their 9/11 fear agenda but apart from that Rudy is too liberal. He is pro choice, pro gay (even roommate of gay guys) plus openly courted his mistress while still with his previous wife. I don't see how he would win the votes of the self proclaimed "values" voters in the Republicans party.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the SILENCE OF OUR FRIENDS. MLK
Vlover is offline  
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Senior Member
 
moon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: usa
Posts: 4,117
                     
Re: Rudy Giuliani take first steps towards becoming President in 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlover View Post
Don't worry because he's not getting the nomination. The GOP used him to push their 9/11 fear agenda but apart from that Rudy is too liberal. He is pro choice, pro gay (even roommate of gay guys) plus openly courted his mistress while still with his previous wife. I don't see how he would win the votes of the self proclaimed "values" voters in the Republicans party.

all that, plus there is now lots of documentation about how mismanaged the city was during 9/11. That's in addition to all the people dropping like flies around here who volunteered to clean up all the mess at ground zero.

Venus Williams-- My tennis inspiration
Roger Federer - GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!
moon is offline  
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2006, 01:27 AM
country flag RVD
Senior Member
 
RVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 32,568
                     
Re: Rudy Giuliani take first steps towards becoming President in 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlover View Post
Don't worry because he's not getting the nomination. The GOP used him to push their 9/11 fear agenda but apart from that Rudy is too liberal. He is pro choice, pro gay (even roommate of gay guys) plus openly courted his mistress while still with his previous wife. I don't see how he would win the votes of the self proclaimed "values" voters in the Republicans party.
Darn! You beat me to the punch!

However, I believe that he should run…if for no other reason than to remind the voters what being conservative in a time catastrophic turmoil means.
Also, I agree that he was little more than one of several "tools" utilized in promoting a ‘pre-planned’ preemptive strike against Iraq […via Afghanistan].

Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery. - Malcolm X
A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything. - Malcolm X
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline  
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2006, 02:58 AM
Senior Member
 
kiwifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 9,740
                     
Re: Rudy Giuliani take first steps towards becoming President in 2008

RUDY
kiwifan is offline  
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2006, 03:32 AM
country flag RVD
Senior Member
 
RVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 32,568
                     
Re: Rudy Giuliani take first steps towards becoming President in 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifan View Post
RUDY


Is he still with that hot young actress?

Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery. - Malcolm X
A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything. - Malcolm X
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline  
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Senior Member
 
kiwifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 9,740
                     
Re: Rudy Giuliani take first steps towards becoming President in 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifan
RUDY
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeVeeDynasty View Post


Is he still with that hot young actress?
gonna call a special prosecutor?

I have rooting interests in both parties (wonder why everyone doesn't )

Rudy is my man on the right.

Barack is my man on the left.

They both have the same chance of being President in 2008 , but if they're "in the game", VP is a very reasonable goal.

Besides, I pretty much hate everybody else in the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifan
RUDY
kiwifan is offline  
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2006, 05:52 AM
Enjoying married life.
 
Wigglytuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: lolcat
Posts: 19,642
                     
Re: Rudy Giuliani take first steps towards becoming President in 2008

yeah, he aint getting no nom. plusi firmly disagree that he is liberal anything,by i have already covered why in like 3 other threads.

"racism is dead, it died when MLK walked on a bridge and freed the slaves. Now we have a socialist Kenyan president who is not an American and if anyone mentions race they are a reverse racist (while racism is dead, reverse racism is alive and well.) #whattheyteachyouatfox"
Wigglytuff is offline  
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Enjoying married life.
 
Wigglytuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: lolcat
Posts: 19,642
                     
Re: Rudy Giuliani take first steps towards becoming President in 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifan View Post
RUDY
you know you could not be more wrong. by your logic, in the other thread bush is a great president because crime is lower now than it was 20 years ago yeah i said it, you are wrong, and what

"racism is dead, it died when MLK walked on a bridge and freed the slaves. Now we have a socialist Kenyan president who is not an American and if anyone mentions race they are a reverse racist (while racism is dead, reverse racism is alive and well.) #whattheyteachyouatfox"
Wigglytuff is offline  
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2006, 05:59 AM
Enjoying married life.
 
Wigglytuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: lolcat
Posts: 19,642
                     
Re: Rudy Giuliani take first steps towards becoming President in 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
all that, plus there is now lots of documentation about how mismanaged the city was during 9/11. That's in addition to all the people dropping like flies around here who volunteered to clean up all the mess at ground zero.


not to mention the question that if the MTA (and you all know i feel about them) managed to save every single life underground, and get all the stations and everything else under the towers evacuated, why did the city do such a poor job able ground?

"racism is dead, it died when MLK walked on a bridge and freed the slaves. Now we have a socialist Kenyan president who is not an American and if anyone mentions race they are a reverse racist (while racism is dead, reverse racism is alive and well.) #whattheyteachyouatfox"
Wigglytuff is offline  
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2006, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Kunal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 12,930
                     
Re: Rudy Giuliani take first steps towards becoming President in 2008

im surprised at the response of ppl to rudy....to a neutral bystander...it seems like he is a hero.....but i guess the ppl that were in the US at that time know better

I'm not young enough to know everything.
Kunal is offline  
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Senior Member
 
kiwifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 9,740
                     
Re: Rudy Giuliani take first steps towards becoming President in 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglytuff View Post
you know you could not be more wrong. by your logic, in the other thread bush is a great president because crime is lower now than it was 20 years ago yeah i said it, you are wrong, and what
Focus...lack of focus...or is it just a really shitty sense of timing?

You get no credit for coming up with "comebacks" more than 24 hours after the fact. :retard:

Not going there with you.

In fact slow comebacks are so boring that its putting me to sleep, time to go to bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifan
RUDY
kiwifan is offline  
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Enjoying married life.
 
Wigglytuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: lolcat
Posts: 19,642
                     
Re: Rudy Giuliani take first steps towards becoming President in 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifan View Post
Focus...lack of focus...or is it just a really shitty sense of timing?

You get no credit for coming up with "comebacks" more than 24 hours after the fact. :retard:

Not going there with you.

In fact slow comebacks are so boring that its putting me to sleep, time to go to bed.
and you might be right but you still lose, and i am still cuter

"racism is dead, it died when MLK walked on a bridge and freed the slaves. Now we have a socialist Kenyan president who is not an American and if anyone mentions race they are a reverse racist (while racism is dead, reverse racism is alive and well.) #whattheyteachyouatfox"
Wigglytuff is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome