Michael Steele To Head Republican Party? - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2006, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
SelesFan70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11,025
                     
Michael Steele To Head Republican Party?

Michael Steele for Republican National Chairman?
Maryland Lt. Gov. Michael Steele (R), who came up just short yesterday in his Senate race against Rep. Ben Cardin (D), is mulling a bid for the chairmanship of the Republican National Committee, according to an informed GOP source.

Steele would not challenge current RNC Chairman Ken Mehlman, but chatter among Republican insiders is that Mehlman has made clear for months that he might not return to his current post.

"Chairman Mehlman will be making an announcement regarding his future at the RNC in the coming weeks," said RNC communication director Brian Jones.

Mehlman has made outreach to the African American community a priority during his time as head of the party, and Steele would be seen as a logical successor to that effort.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/thefi...e_for_rnc.html

Tammy Bruce RightSideOfTheRainbow

Liberals: Hard on the unborn, soft on terrorists

Man-made climate change is a LIE

COUNTDOWN!
SelesFan70 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Kunal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 12,929
                     
Re: Michael Steele To Head Republican Party?

never heard of the guy....can be better than his replacement

I'm not young enough to know everything.
Kunal is offline  
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2006, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
SelesFan70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11,025
                     
Re: Michael Steele To Head Republican Party?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunal View Post
never heard of the guy....can be better than his replacement
You've never heard of Michael Steele? He was the Republican candidate for Senate in Maryland.

Tammy Bruce RightSideOfTheRainbow

Liberals: Hard on the unborn, soft on terrorists

Man-made climate change is a LIE

COUNTDOWN!
SelesFan70 is offline  
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5,406
                     
Re: Michael Steele To Head Republican Party?

Steele ran a great campaign. He was the underdog, the unknown,
and he almost got it done. He's a very good fundraiser, intelligent,
and he is very articulate.

He would be good.

Mehlman should step down, you lose, you go. McAuliffe did.
That's just the way things go.


The RNC needs a face w/a strong public voice. Mehlman isn't
that guy. He did okay, but, not good enough.


I like Steele.

What does it say about our nation that we did not elect
Ford,
Steele,
Swann,
or Blackwell.
Yet, even though I don't care for Ford, all four are very bright,
accomplished, political figures. Too bad. I hope Steele does stay
very involved in the RNC or gets a gig at The White House.
samsung101 is offline  
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Guest
 
*JR*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the Peace Train
Posts: 34,235
                     
Re: Michael Steele To Head Republican Party?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsung101 View Post
Mehlman should step down, you lose, you go. McAuliffe did.
That's just the way things go.
Sometime you should just stop posting for awhile, because you don't know WTF you're talking about. Terry McAuliffe served his full 4 years as DNC Chair, and would have stepped down even if Kerry had won. (He was the Clintons' protege anyhow). I defy you to name any Chair of the DNC or RNC in the last half century who's served more than 4 consecutive years.
*JR* is offline  
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Senior Member
 
RunDown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: N.C.
Posts: 658
                     
Re: Michael Steele To Head Republican Party?

Bill Maher outed Ken Mehlman on Larry King last night...I think the chances of him stepping down have increased

"Patriotism is supporting your country all of the time, and your government when they deserve it."
Venus Williams



female
RunDown is offline  
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,273
                     
Re: Michael Steele To Head Republican Party?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsung101 View Post
Steele ran a great campaign. He was the underdog, the unknown,
and he almost got it done. He's a very good fundraiser, intelligent,
and he is very articulate.

He would be good.

Mehlman should step down, you lose, you go. McAuliffe did.
That's just the way things go.


The RNC needs a face w/a strong public voice. Mehlman isn't
that guy. He did okay, but, not good enough.


I like Steele.

What does it say about our nation that we did not elect
Ford,
Steele,
Swann,
or Blackwell.
Yet, even though I don't care for Ford, all four are very bright,
accomplished, political figures. Too bad. I hope Steele does stay
very involved in the RNC or gets a gig at The White House.
What it says about our nation when it comes to Blackwell, Swann, or Steele is that black voters are not going to fall for a black Republican.
Black celebrities in the Maryland area went on urban radio and told people that Steele wasn't the right choice for black voters.
Blacks did not like how Blackwell dealt with the 2004 elections in Ohio.
Swann did not go into the urban areas looking for the black votes at all.

If the black Republicans are going to do the same thing as the white Republicans then black voters are not going to vote for the black candidate just because he's black.

In the case of Ford, the Republicans went after Ford with racist ads and it worked.
Ford was the better candidate.

In the case of the other three, they weren't.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2006, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
SelesFan70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11,025
                     
Re: Michael Steele To Head Republican Party?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunDown View Post
Bill Maher outed Ken Mehlman on Larry King last night...I think the chances of him stepping down have increased
There have been rumors galore that Mehlman is gay. I think it's pretty obvious, but I am well-trained to pick out fags

Tammy Bruce RightSideOfTheRainbow

Liberals: Hard on the unborn, soft on terrorists

Man-made climate change is a LIE

COUNTDOWN!
SelesFan70 is offline  
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2006, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
SelesFan70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11,025
                     
Re: Michael Steele To Head Republican Party?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeknowitall View Post
What it says about our nation when it comes to Blackwell, Swann, or Steele is that black voters are not going to fall for a black Republican.
Black celebrities in the Maryland area went on urban radio and told people that Steele wasn't the right choice for black voters.
Blacks did not like how Blackwell dealt with the 2004 elections in Ohio.
Swann did not go into the urban areas looking for the black votes at all.

If the black Republicans are going to do the same thing as the white Republicans then black voters are not going to vote for the black candidate just because he's black.

In the case of Ford, the Republicans went after Ford with racist ads and it worked.
Ford was the better candidate.

In the case of the other three, they weren't.
For the Republicans, maybe... He used all the talking points...god, country, abortion, and taxes.

Tammy Bruce RightSideOfTheRainbow

Liberals: Hard on the unborn, soft on terrorists

Man-made climate change is a LIE

COUNTDOWN!
SelesFan70 is offline  
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 915
                     
Re: Michael Steele To Head Republican Party?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeknowitall View Post
What it says about our nation when it comes to Blackwell, Swann, or Steele is that black voters are not going to fall for a black Republican.
Black celebrities in the Maryland area went on urban radio and told people that Steele wasn't the right choice for black voters.
Blacks did not like how Blackwell dealt with the 2004 elections in Ohio.
Swann did not go into the urban areas looking for the black votes at all.

If the black Republicans are going to do the same thing as the white Republicans then black voters are not going to vote for the black candidate just because he's black.

In the case of Ford, the Republicans went after Ford with racist ads and it worked.
Ford was the better candidate.

In the case of the other three, they weren't.

It does say a lot about Tennesse though. They would rather elect by color than by fairness and the ability to lead. He used that white hooker in the ad to appeal to the racist mentality that pervades that state.

I've learned that our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are, but we are responsible for who we become.

I've learned that we are responsible for what we do, no matter how we feel.

I've learned that either you control your attitude or it controls you.

I've learned that sometimes when I'm angry I have the right to be angry, but that doesn't give me the right to be cruel.

I've learned that maturity has more to do with what types of experiences you've had and what you've learned from them, and less to do with how many years you have lived.

I've learned that you shouldn't be so eager to find out a secret. It could change your life forever.
roarke is offline  
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5,406
                     
Re: Michael Steele To Head Republican Party?

I watched some of his debate w/Cardin, and he was excellent.

He's a tremendous figure.

The party would be smart to use him in some way, or The White
House. Time for some new faces.
samsung101 is offline  
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5,406
                     
Re: Michael Steele To Head Republican Party?

I saw the ad, that wasn't racist.

The Playmates were white. If they had used a black Playmate,
would that have been OK?

Sexist, lowest common thread, sure...but,not racist.


Did you hear and see what they were saying about Steele, Blackwell,
and Swann? Democratic Party bloggers used blackface, shoeshine,
lots of slime, and they publicly said things that were overtly racist
about them - for months. The locals in PA and Maryland and
Ohio were after these guys with everything they had, including
racist comments and tactics.


Ford's past caught up to him. His family line of scandals in politics
were brought back to the news cycle. That did him in, and his
silly stalking of Corker too on camera. The guy did what Allen did,
he found defeat from being ahead early on. Don't worry, he'll
try again. He garnered a lot of votes. He'll have to beat Tim McGraw
first. He wants to be a Senator, and he's a Democrat.


I'm not saying Ford himself had any scandals, but, the GOP did remind
voters what the Ford family had been up to for years in the state.


The GOP put up a record number of hispanic, black, asian, and female
candidates in 2006. The hispanic Democrats across the nation made
big strides too.
samsung101 is offline  
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,353
                     
Re: Michael Steele To Head Republican Party?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarke View Post
It does say a lot about Tennesse though. They would rather elect by color than by fairness and the ability to lead. He used that white hooker in the ad to appeal to the racist mentality that pervades that state.
So Ford lost because of racism? What kind of excuse is that? I think that Ford was a great candidate but come on lay off with these type of excuses.
Lord Nelson is offline  
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Helen Lawson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for Shirley
Posts: 19,300
                     
Re: Michael Steele To Head Republican Party?

I've never heard of him, but your post brings back fond memories of 1980s XXX star Tom Steele.

Whitney Houston and her receipts:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...17447&page=324
Helen Lawson is offline  
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,273
                     
Re: Michael Steele To Head Republican Party?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsung101 View Post
I saw the ad, that wasn't racist.

The Playmates were white. If they had used a black Playmate,
would that have been OK?

Sexist, lowest common thread, sure...but,not racist.


Did you hear and see what they were saying about Steele, Blackwell,
and Swann? Democratic Party bloggers used blackface, shoeshine,
lots of slime, and they publicly said things that were overtly racist
about them - for months. The locals in PA and Maryland and
Ohio were after these guys with everything they had, including
racist comments and tactics.


Ford's past caught up to him. His family line of scandals in politics
were brought back to the news cycle. That did him in, and his
silly stalking of Corker too on camera. The guy did what Allen did,
he found defeat from being ahead early on. Don't worry, he'll
try again. He garnered a lot of votes. He'll have to beat Tim McGraw
first. He wants to be a Senator, and he's a Democrat.


I'm not saying Ford himself had any scandals, but, the GOP did remind
voters what the Ford family had been up to for years in the state.


The GOP put up a record number of hispanic, black, asian, and female
candidates in 2006. The hispanic Democrats across the nation made
big strides too.
I did not hear one racist comment when it came to Lynn Swann.
On the other hand if Swann was smart there are some questionable things that Rendell has said as the mayor of Philadelphia that there happened to be videotape of.
Lynn Swann came to Philadelphia ONCE.
Even Santorum had a couple of debates at the Constitution Center in downtown Philadelphia.
So you telling me what I know in my own state is laughable.
He tried to do what these Republicans senators who lost tried as well.
You can't win a state by just going to the strong party counties and districts, you have to take a chance and go into the places where there is strong opposition.

I have heard some things about Blackwell.
I felt he deserved being called an Uncle Tom though after the 2004 elections in Ohio.

I have heard things about Steele but the black celebrities went after his policies not the man himself.
He was always treated with respect when I've seen him on Bill Maher compared to other Republicans.

When it comes to Ford, would it have been different if it was a black playmate?
In a conservative state like Tennessee HELL YES.
We're talking about a state who outlawed the theory of evolution last century.
Racism is still alive and well in Tennessee along with many other outdated ideologies.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.

Last edited by Wannabeknowitall; Nov 9th, 2006 at 07:34 PM.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome