Youth turnout in election biggest in 20 years - TennisForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2006, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
 
Rocketta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 35,911
                     
Youth turnout in election biggest in 20 years

Youth turnout in election biggest in 20 years

By Jason Szep
Wed Nov 8, 6:11 PM ET


Young Americans voted in the largest numbers in at least 20 years in congressional elections, energized by the Iraq war and giving a boost to Democrats, pollsters said on Wednesday.


About 24 percent of Americans under the age of 30, or at least 10 million young voters, cast ballots in Tuesday's elections that saw Democrats make big gains in Congress. That was up 4 percentage points from the last mid-term elections in 2002. "This looks like the highest in 20 years," said Mark Lopez, research director of the Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement, which compiled the data based on exit polls. "Unfortunately, we can't say if it's a record because don't have good comparable data before 1986."


Rock the Vote, a youth-and-civics group, said young voters favored Democrats by a 22-point margin, nearly three times the margin Democrats earned among other age groups and dealing a potentially decisive blow to Republicans in tight races. "The turnout was awesome," said 21-year-old Katryn Fraher, a political science major at the University of New Mexico who helped build a giant map of local polling stations for her school and was among a group of students walking the campus on Tuesday with a blackboard that counted down the time to vote.


But despite the big turnout, it may not be a record. In the 1982 mid-term election during the Reagan administration, youth turnout reached 27 percent, but that was among voters aged between 18 to 24 instead of under 30 as measured by Wednesday's exit poll estimates. Republican pollster Ed Goeas said young voters could have swayed a number of tight races on Tuesday, noting that of 28 seats Democrats picked up from Republicans in the 435-member House of Representatives, 22 were won by less than 2 percent of the vote and 18 were won by just 5,000 votes or less. "The increase in the youth vote did come into play," he said.


GETTING OUT THE VOTE


As Republicans fought to keep control of Congress, both parties sought to rally young voters who turned out in record numbers in the 2004 presidential election.


At the University of Iowa, some students doubled as "Human Vote Billboards" with messages exhorting students to vote in the battleground state where Democrats won several races. "It went well," said Brant Miller, 24, at the University of Iowa. "We got a bunch of students to get out there and vote." Added Kelly Dolan, 24, at the University of Rhode Island: "The only way we can make politicians pay to attention to people our age is if we turn out in record numbers."


A poll by Harvard University's Institute of Politics last week showed that by a three-to-one margin, young Americans said the country was on the "wrong track." Forty-six percent favored a total troop withdrawal from Iraq within a year, while a third said troops should be withdrawn after the Iraqis take full control. Future elections could also be at stake. The "Generation Y" of Americans born from 1977 to 1994 -- shaped by the September 11 attacks, the Iraq war and Hurricane Katrina -- in nine years will make up a third of the electorate.
Rocketta is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Senior Member
 
Kunal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 12,869
                     
Re: Youth turnout in election biggest in 20 years

jon stewart might have something to do with it

I'm not young enough to know everything.
Kunal is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2006, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
 
Rocketta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 35,911
                     
Re: Youth turnout in election biggest in 20 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunal View Post
jon stewart might have something to do with it
I think that and BLOGS had a lot to do with it. Young people are computer savy and if information is presented in a form that is interesting to them they will listen.
Rocketta is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Bacardi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Raccoon City's Hive
Posts: 14,737
                     
Re: Youth turnout in election biggest in 20 years

It's time our generation starts to speak up for itself. Because we ultimately have to deal with the consequences of what's going on. If there were a draft it would hit us hard. Glad to see the turn out from the youth, I'm proud we're getting out in numbers and proving to be slightly more Democrat!

I'm BACK & SINGLE. So lock up all the hotties!
Bacardi is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Senior Member
 
kiwifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 9,737
                     
Re: Youth turnout in election biggest in 20 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunal View Post
jon stewart might have something to do with it
I think sending their young asses off to get blown up overseas, might have something to do with it.

Sure did in the '60s.

Youth culture post Korea.

Youth culture post WW I.

The youth probably took the bull by the horns post big cave man tribal wars...

Has something to do with Caveman Bush not actually having to get hit by any rocks while the Caveman "Country Joe" returned with big knots on his heads and said, "Fuck you man, that sucked, 'what are we fighting for, anyway?'"


"And the seasons they go round and round
And the painted ponies go up and down
We're captive on the carousel of time
We can't return we can only look behind
From where we came
And go round and round and round
In the circle game."



Last edited by kiwifan; Nov 9th, 2006 at 08:45 PM.
kiwifan is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Senior Member
 
mykarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 28,030
                     
Re: Youth turnout in election biggest in 20 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketta View Post
Youth turnout in election biggest in 20 years

By Jason Szep
Wed Nov 8, 6:11 PM ET


Young Americans voted in the largest numbers in at least 20 years in congressional elections, energized by the Iraq war and giving a boost to Democrats, pollsters said on Wednesday.


About 24 percent of Americans under the age of 30, or at least 10 million young voters, cast ballots in Tuesday's elections that saw Democrats make big gains in Congress. That was up 4 percentage points from the last mid-term elections in 2002. "This looks like the highest in 20 years," said Mark Lopez, research director of the Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement, which compiled the data based on exit polls. "Unfortunately, we can't say if it's a record because don't have good comparable data before 1986."


Rock the Vote, a youth-and-civics group, said young voters favored Democrats by a 22-point margin, nearly three times the margin Democrats earned among other age groups and dealing a potentially decisive blow to Republicans in tight races. "The turnout was awesome," said 21-year-old Katryn Fraher, a political science major at the University of New Mexico who helped build a giant map of local polling stations for her school and was among a group of students walking the campus on Tuesday with a blackboard that counted down the time to vote.


But despite the big turnout, it may not be a record. In the 1982 mid-term election during the Reagan administration, youth turnout reached 27 percent, but that was among voters aged between 18 to 24 instead of under 30 as measured by Wednesday's exit poll estimates. Republican pollster Ed Goeas said young voters could have swayed a number of tight races on Tuesday, noting that of 28 seats Democrats picked up from Republicans in the 435-member House of Representatives, 22 were won by less than 2 percent of the vote and 18 were won by just 5,000 votes or less. "The increase in the youth vote did come into play," he said.


GETTING OUT THE VOTE


As Republicans fought to keep control of Congress, both parties sought to rally young voters who turned out in record numbers in the 2004 presidential election.


At the University of Iowa, some students doubled as "Human Vote Billboards" with messages exhorting students to vote in the battleground state where Democrats won several races. "It went well," said Brant Miller, 24, at the University of Iowa. "We got a bunch of students to get out there and vote." Added Kelly Dolan, 24, at the University of Rhode Island: "The only way we can make politicians pay to attention to people our age is if we turn out in record numbers."


A poll by Harvard University's Institute of Politics last week showed that by a three-to-one margin, young Americans said the country was on the "wrong track." Forty-six percent favored a total troop withdrawal from Iraq within a year, while a third said troops should be withdrawn after the Iraqis take full control. Future elections could also be at stake. The "Generation Y" of Americans born from 1977 to 1994 -- shaped by the September 11 attacks, the Iraq war and Hurricane Katrina -- in nine years will make up a third of the electorate.
How about this youngster and her determination to vote.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/15960620.htm

Anna Urban has been voting since Franklin D. Roosevelt was president and wasn't about to miss an election.

When the 95-year-old Reading resident didn't have a ride to the polls Tuesday, she didn't hesitate. She dialed 911.

Dispatchers forwarded the call to the Berks County Election Services office, where it was considered a compliment.

"To call 911 and ask for help to vote really says a lot," said Deborah M. Olivieri, election services director. "It meant a lot to everyone in this office; it made us feel what we do is worthwhile."

County Commissioner Judith L. Schwank immediately picked up Urban, and Urban walked to the voting booth at Millmont Elementary School on her arm.

"All my life I voted," said Urban, a Democrat, who cast her first ballot in the 1930s. "You need to vote to be a good citizen."



.
mykarma is online now  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2006, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
 
Rocketta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 35,911
                     
Re: Youth turnout in election biggest in 20 years

awww, that's sweet Karma.
Rocketta is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2006, 01:12 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
wta_zuperfann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 7,067
                     
Re: Youth turnout in election biggest in 20 years

Here in Minnesota (which has the highest percentage of voter participation in the USA), student tuition in colleges has gone up dramatically and state financing of those schools has gone down. Unfortunately, we have a Repukeblican governor who believes that welfare for the wealthy is a God ordained mandate and he doesn't give a flying sh*t about the children of the poor and working classes. This motivated young people to vote for change.

I would not doubt for a moment that this reflects what happened throughout the other states as well.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.



Abraham Lincoln
wta_zuperfann is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2006, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
 
Rocketta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 35,911
                     
Re: Youth turnout in election biggest in 20 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by wta_zuperfann View Post
Here in Minnesota (which has the highest percentage of voter participation in the USA), student tuition in colleges has gone up dramatically and state financing of those schools has gone down. Unfortunately, we have a Repukeblican governor who believes that welfare for the wealthy is a God ordained mandate and he doesn't give a flying sh*t about the children of the poor and working classes. This motivated young people to vote for change.

I would not doubt for a moment that this reflects what happened throughout the other states as well.
Well the aid going down and tuition going up definitely reflects what's going on here in NC.
Rocketta is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Scotso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 47,046
                     
Re: Youth turnout in election biggest in 20 years

It's good for Democracy AND for liberals when young people get involved. But still... only 24%? That's a shame.

We need to make voting mandatory.
Scotso is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome