Today's news (Monday, Nov 13)
- Cruise flew into a Rome airport on a private jet
, arriving Mondayat 11:30 AM local time. The arrival set off a frenzy among media and fans anticipating the star's high-profile wedding to Katie Holmes.
- Cruise arrived at Rome's small Ciampino airport from Los Angeles with about 10 people, including his mother and his three children
, airport officials said. (Cruise's children are: Isabella and Connor, Cruise's adopted children with Nicole Kidman, and Suri Cruise, his daughter with wife-to-be, Katie Holmes.)
- Cruise and his 10-person entourage were then driven to their hotel, complete with a police escort.
- Some 100 fans mingled with photographers and camera crews in front of the Hotel Hassler Roma
, the luxury hotel in Rome on top of the Spanish Steps where Cruise was said to be staying. An employee at the hotel's front desk, who refused to give her name, denied that Cruise was staying there.
- The wedding is Saturday.
- Guests will number in the hundreds.
- Before the wedding, Cruise and Holmes will throw a lavish party for the 250 guests at Dal Bolognese
in Piazza del Popolo
- Italian tenor Andrea Bocelli will perform at the wedding. The blind opera star has confirmed to friends he will attend and sing at the event. A friend of Bocelli says: "They asked him to sing because Katie particularly likes Ave Maria. It will give the ceremony a Catholic religious element, which is important to her."
- Katie Holmes' wedding dress, Tom Cruises' tuxedo, as well as the bridesmaids' dresses and groomsmen's tuxedos, are all going to be Giorgio Armani originals. Holmes' Giorgio Armani-designed gown is "floaty," according to the New York Daily News.
- The jewelry for the wedding of the year will be provided by David Orgel.
- As for Katie's hair, her go-to man Oscar Blandi will give her a perfect side-swept look.
- Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes insist their Italian wedding next weekend will be legal, despite claims from local officials to the contrary. Monsignor NICOLA FIORENTINI alleged the couple could not enjoy a Catholic service at Bracciano's Castello Odescalchi, because Scientologist Cruise is divorced. Mayor PATRIZIA RICCIONI also ruled out a civil service because the pair have not provided the official documentation needed. But their representative insists the couple have found a way through the bureaucracy. ARNOLD ROBINSON tells the New York Daily News, "All of the proper and necessary arrangements are being made to assure the legality of the marriage."
- According to the star-watchers at AOL Horoscopes
, the TomKat marriage is destined to be an impossible mission if the ceremony is scheduled between 6:41 AM and 3:46 PM, to be precise. That's when the Moon will be what's known as "Void-of-Course" in Libra at 6:41 AM, and then will not enter Scorpio until 3:46 PM, meaning that nothing good can come out of anything if it happens during that time. Later in the day, the news isn't much better; the Moon in Scorpio can dredge up a lot of dark, ugly emotions.