Visiting Bangkok - your advice please - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2006, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
drake3781's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 15,915
                     
Visiting Bangkok - your advice please

I'll be going to Bangkok at the end of May - early June. I expect to be there about 2-3 weeks. The trip is for work, but I want to do as much as possible in the evenings, over the weekends, and I can stay an extra week or so on my own.

1. What should I do to prepare?

- Language: How much Thai language should I learn (as much as possible?) How much difficulty will I have without being fluent?
- Weather/clothes - I think it'll be really hot, right, so what kind of clothes should I bring for getting around all day? Maybe even jeans will be too heavy?
- Other things to bring? - anything special I should bring?
- Anything I should know about the culture to help me appreciate it more, and to not seem like a tourist as much as possible.

2. Great places to go/see?

- In Bangkok, for the evenings after work.
- Near Bangkok - for the weekends... I can travel near Bangkok, either on day trips and come back to Bangkok at night, or go somewhere close enough to get there and back in two days while still having time to enjoy the place.
- For about 5 days Outside of Bangkok - I could go to a different place(s) for a few days up to a week, after I'm done working.

- What's the best way to get around to these places, even in Bangkok how do I get around, and then traveling, what's the best way?
drake3781 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2006, 05:37 AM
Rest In Peace, Elena
 
Brett.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 19,638
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by drake3781
I'll be going to Bangkok at the end of May - early June. I expect to be there about 2-3 weeks. The trip is for work, but I want to do as much as possible in the evenings, over the weekends, and I can stay an extra week or so on my own.

1. What should I do to prepare?

- Language: How much Thai language should I learn (as much as possible?) How much difficulty will I have without being fluent?
- Weather/clothes - I think it'll be really hot, right, so what kind of clothes should I bring for getting around all day? Maybe even jeans will be too heavy?
- Other things to bring? - anything special I should bring?
- Anything I should know about the culture to help me appreciate it more, and to not seem like a tourist as much as possible.

2. Great places to go/see?

- In Bangkok, for the evenings after work.
- Near Bangkok - for the weekends... I can travel near Bangkok, either on day trips and come back to Bangkok at night, or go somewhere close enough to get there and back in two days while still having time to enjoy the place.
- For about 5 days Outside of Bangkok - I could go to a different place(s) for a few days up to a week, after I'm done working.

- What's the best way to get around to these places, even in Bangkok how do I get around, and then traveling, what's the best way?

1. You don't need to learn Thai language as alots of Thai people does speak english fluently.

- The weather is going to be really hot and plenty of humid, so its better to wear a singlet and a short. But if you want to go to the temple, you must wear long pant and a long-sleeve length shirt because its Thai's religious culture. If you go inside the temple, you must always take your shoes off.

- Uhmm, no need to bring anything special.

- Thai Culture - If you see a thai man or a woman looking at you, you must smile all the time.
Do show respect for the king: Thai people show great respect for their king and they expect visitors to do so too. The national anthem is played twice a day (typically at 8am and 6 pm) and also before every film at the cinema. Everyone is expected to stand whilst it is playing. You should never insult or joke about the king or royal family.
My tourist guide told me that you must not point at anyone or anything with feet (including your feet when you trying to close the door which is really wierd.

- If you want to buy (excluding at restaurants, or any take away food shop), you can reduce any prices as you think if anything is really expensive but you must smile so they can accept it.

2. I cannot think of anything much in Bangkok, the only adventure that i went to the temple. It was absolutely beautiful by looking at statues, temple, listening these thai musics.

If you want to go outside of Bangkok for a week, Phuket is definitely the next best place to visit called Patong. Great place to visit, its got so many bars, pubs, alots of beautiful ladies to meet if you smile hehehe. The beaches isn't really popular at all in Thailand which is unfortunate.

You are welcome to ask anymore questions if you are confused

Rest In Peace, Elena Baltacha
Brett. is offline  
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2006, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
drake3781's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 15,915
                     
Thank you.. I appreciate the information!

I'm a girl, in case any details need to be specific for female vs. male. (Like I read if I speak any Thai sentences I need to say "kaa" at the end, and a male would say something different at the end. )
drake3781 is offline  
post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Senior Member
 
jimbo mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: London
Posts: 8,785
                     
bankok airport confuses me. i stopped over there on my way to new zealand in december

hardly any of the airport staff can speak english, although they are very friendly

the toilets

but the shops are cool
jimbo mack is offline  
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Senior Member
 
xin_hui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Singapore
Posts: 16,569
                     
it's almost may, kinda hot over there. so just wear comfortable and light. tanktops and skirts/shorts will suffice. jeans might be a little too warm in the afternoons ( of course if u are visiting some temples, u might need to cover up)

for shopping, it's chatuchak (only on weekends, the MTS stop is called mo chit) and mah boon krong (MBK, the MTS stop is called national stadium) or the siam square area. great shopping but DO NOT go to the toilets in chatuchak even if your life depended on it

for transport, it's very convenient with the skytrain and subway (forgot what they call it there). they connect to all the main areas around bangkok

it's generally safe over there (one of my trips was just a group of seven 19 year old girls, no problem whatsoever). taxis are quite ok (although i hear the cabs that are top yellow bottom green are the safest)

as for language, it will take a bit of effort to communicate with the locals, but it's ok. you dont really need to learn anything (for all my trips, i still only know "peang", which means expensive )

i would have advised u to visit the erawan shrine, but apparently it's under repair now. but for culture, just ask for directions to the temples, they are really magnificent. if u go to the floating market, be careful not to go to the fake one

for nightlife, i'd recommend suan lum night market (forgot which subway stop it is), where's there's great entertainment, food and shopping. there's the famous patpong, but it's kinda sleazy and overpriced, so i dont recommend that

for outside of bangkok, phuket or chiang mai. chiang mai would be more rustic and phuket is a place with a lot of seasports activity. chiang mai's weather is considerably cooler than the rest of thailand

oh, i forgot. for shopping, first quote a price that is at least only 20% of what was quoted to u. then slowly work your way up. if that person refuses to sell, walk away. he will usually call u back. if he doesnt, that means he really was not gonna make a profit with the price u gave

Last edited by xin_hui; Apr 30th, 2006 at 10:51 AM.
xin_hui is offline  
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2006, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
drake3781's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 15,915
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by james mack
bankok airport confuses me. i stopped over there on my way to new zealand in december

hardly any of the airport staff can speak english, although they are very friendly

the toilets

but the shops are cool
OK, thanx, I'm gonna "go" on the plane before it lands .

I should be having a driver picking me up; the kind that holds a sign with my name on it. Feels so special...........
drake3781 is offline  
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
CooCooCachoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 63,521
                     
You may come across two of my friends who will be backpacking in Thailand, Vietnam & Laos then Have fun

CHARDY | CHIUDINELLI | CIPOLLA


Bemelmans|Camerin|Cornet|Crivoi|Cuevas|Dentoni|Dod ig|Garbin|Granollers
Hlavackova|Ilhan|Kohli|Kuznetsov|Lammer|Mannarino| Menendez|Phau|Polansky
Rezaï|Robredo|Roger-Vasselin|Srebotnik|Szavay|Wörle|Zverev

CooCooCachoo is offline  
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2006, 05:46 PM
country flag Vut
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 10,152
                     
all of the above are your answers!!!

we called skytrain as BTS and MRT for subway. i recommended u to shop at chatuchak[we also called JJ, weekend market], the price are quite cheap. for the well-known shop i would like u to visit Siam Paragon. their are many many shops.

i thinks gurl_tennis answers all of your questions. i will be good if u smile here

Come and Join: Tamarine Tanasugarn's facebook fan pages at http://www.facebook.com/TamarineTanasugarn
Vut is offline  
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Slumpsova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: home
Posts: 15,012
                     
hotduncz & gurl_tennis answered all the questions
here is my tips

- don't worry about thai language. if you stay in bangkok and big cities. english is fine. just try to speak as slowly as you can. especially the thai names, it's always confused thai people when foreigners calling thai names. you better write the name down on the paper, or show them the map, it would be more help.

- the weather in May/June is hot and wet, the rain comes almost everyday so prepare for it. even i hate this time of the year

- no need to bring anything. except some small guide book just incase.

- the temple is holy place so make sure you dress well.

- public toilet is so done you business at the hotel or shopping malls.

- transportation in Bangkok is great. BTS & MRT can bring you anywhere. try to avoid city bus 'cuz the drivers & bus hostesses hardly speak & understand english

- you can go to Ayudhya for day trip. the city is not far from bangkok. it's the old capitol, lots of temple and histerical places you can't miss. i usually drive there in the morning and get back to bangkok at the dawn. only one hour away.

- nighlife in bangkok, there are a lot of clubs around the city. Si Lom Road is the most famous as well as Khao San Road.

good luck and have fun drake
Slumpsova is offline  
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Slumpsova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: home
Posts: 15,012
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurl_tennis
as for language, it will take a bit of effort to communicate with the locals, but it's ok. you dont really need to learn anything (for all my trips, i still only know "peang", which means expensive )
apparently "peang" is the most famous thai word in Singapore when i went there for shopping last year. i whispered "peang" to my friend while we were looking for a digital camera at the shop on bukit street, the sellers laughed and made fun of us
Slumpsova is offline  
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2006, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
drake3781's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 15,915
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurl_tennis
it's almost may, kinda hot over there. so just wear comfortable and light. tanktops and skirts/shorts will suffice. jeans might be a little too warm in the afternoons ( of course if u are visiting some temples, u might need to cover up)

for shopping, it's chatuchak (only on weekends, the MTS stop is called mo chit) and mah boon krong (MBK, the MTS stop is called national stadium) or the siam square area. great shopping but DO NOT go to the toilets in chatuchak even if your life depended on it

for transport, it's very convenient with the skytrain and subway (forgot what they call it there). they connect to all the main areas around bangkok

it's generally safe over there (one of my trips was just a group of seven 19 year old girls, no problem whatsoever). taxis are quite ok (although i hear the cabs that are top yellow bottom green are the safest)

as for language, it will take a bit of effort to communicate with the locals, but it's ok. you dont really need to learn anything (for all my trips, i still only know "peang", which means expensive )

i would have advised u to visit the erawan shrine, but apparently it's under repair now. but for culture, just ask for directions to the temples, they are really magnificent. if u go to the floating market, be careful not to go to the fake one

for nightlife, i'd recommend suan lum night market (forgot which subway stop it is), where's there's great entertainment, food and shopping. there's the famous patpong, but it's kinda sleazy and overpriced, so i dont recommend that

for outside of bangkok, phuket or chiang mai. chiang mai would be more rustic and phuket is a place with a lot of seasports activity. chiang mai's weather is considerably cooler than the rest of thailand

oh, i forgot. for shopping, first quote a price that is at least only 20% of what was quoted to u. then slowly work your way up. if that person refuses to sell, walk away. he will usually call u back. if he doesnt, that means he really was not gonna make a profit with the price u gave

Thanks a lot! I'm gonna take notes and remember all this advice.

What is all the buzz about shopping? I don't really want or need anything... sometimes like to shop just to look around but hate being bombarded by people trying to get me to buy stuff (like in Jamaica, Mexico) when I just want to look around and maybe buy something if I find it myself... is there a lot of that kind of thing?..... and why so much talk about shopping (not by you but what I read on forums) ....are there some specific things that I really should look for that are great to buy here?
drake3781 is offline  
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,643
                     
Go visit the brothels in Bangkok, I hear they have really nice decour
AceTennisGrrrl is offline  
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Slumpsova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: home
Posts: 15,012
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by drake3781
Thanks a lot! I'm gonna take notes and remember all this advice.

What is all the buzz about shopping? I don't really want or need anything... sometimes like to shop just to look around but hate being bombarded by people trying to get me to buy stuff (like in Jamaica, Mexico) when I just want to look around and maybe buy something if I find it myself... is there a lot of that kind of thing?..... and why so much talk about shopping (not by you but what I read on forums) ....are there some specific things that I really should look for that are great to buy here?
no. just because you are girl. the world expects all girls are shopaholic
Slumpsova is offline  
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2006, 04:16 AM
Senior Member
 
xin_hui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Singapore
Posts: 16,569
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna
apparently "peang" is the most famous thai word in Singapore when i went there for shopping last year. i whispered "peang" to my friend while we were looking for a digital camera at the shop on bukit street, the sellers laughed and made fun of us
well, u have to know most singaporeans go to bangkok for a yearly shopping pilgrimage, of course we have to know "paeng"
xin_hui is offline  
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2006, 04:17 AM
Senior Member
 
xin_hui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Singapore
Posts: 16,569
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by drake3781
Thanks a lot! I'm gonna take notes and remember all this advice.

What is all the buzz about shopping? I don't really want or need anything... sometimes like to shop just to look around but hate being bombarded by people trying to get me to buy stuff (like in Jamaica, Mexico) when I just want to look around and maybe buy something if I find it myself... is there a lot of that kind of thing?..... and why so much talk about shopping (not by you but what I read on forums) ....are there some specific things that I really should look for that are great to buy here?
i dont know about u, maybe u dont like shopping. but the stuff there are really cheap and good
xin_hui is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome