Rape Probe Grounds Duke's Lacrosse Team - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 151 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2006, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
.
 
Stamp Paid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: ...
Posts: 49,013
                     
Rape Probe Grounds Duke's Lacrosse Team

By AARON BEARD, AP Sports WriterWed Mar 29, 10:32 AM ET


Duke University's president has suspended the school's highly ranked lacrosse team from play until school administrators learn more about allegations that several team members raped an exotic dancer at an off-campus party.

"In this painful period of uncertainty, it is clear to me, as it was to the players, that it would be inappropriate to resume the normal schedule of play," President Richard Brodhead said Tuesday.

Brodhead met with students Wednesday morning to discuss the incident in a forum closed to reporters, Duke spokesman Geoffrey Mock said.

"It was a meeting at which the students could share their thoughts about the topic," Mock said. He did not know how many attended but said the meeting was open to all students.

A woman told police she and another dancer were hired to perform March 13 at a private party in an off-campus home. The dancer, a student at North Carolina Central University, told police she was pulled into a bathroom, beaten, choked and raped by three men.

No one has been charged, but police took DNA samples with a cheek swab from 46 of the lacrosse team's 47 players last week. The 47th player, the only black member of the team, did not have to provide DNA because the dancer said her attackers were white. The dancer is black.

Brodhead said team captains notified Athletic Director Joe Alleva on Tuesday that players wanted to stay off the field until the DNA results came back from a crime lab. In a statement, the captains predicted the DNA testing would clear the players of wrongdoing.

The case has roiled the campus and raised racial tensions. It also has heightened antagonism between the affluent students at Duke, which costs about $43,000 a year, and the city of Durham, which has a large population of poor people and is about evenly divided between white and black.

"The circumstances of the rape indicated a deep racial motivation for some of the things that were done," District Attorney Mike Nifong said. "It makes a crime that is by its nature one of the most offensive and invasive even more so."

Nifong said the team members are standing together and refusing to talk with investigators, and he warned he may bring aiding-and-abetting charges against some of the players.

A lawyer representing several lacrosse team members did not immediately return calls Tuesday.

Angry over the team members' silence and the university's handling of the case, Durham residents have demonstrated on and off campus in the past few days. They rallied outside the house where the alleged attack occurred, and gathered outside of Duke Provost Peter Lange's home, where they banged on pots and pans until he emerged to answer questions.

Lange said Monday that he believes "the students would be well-advised to come forward. They have chosen not to."

The university's athletic director had already forced the team to miss two games because of underage drinking and the hiring of dancers at the party. Duke, considered a national title contender before the season began, has a 6-2 record with five regular-season games to go.

___

Associated Press Writer Emery P. Dalesio contributed to this report.

___

On the Net:

Duke University: http://www.duke.edu


█████████████████ʘ
Stamp Paid is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 151 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Senior Member
 
hablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: canada
Posts: 49,946
                     
I read about this yesterday.
Just terrible.
I hope they catch the guys.

Quote:
19. In the period from January to April 2006 Dr. Skalny sent very detailed messages to Ms Sharapova [...]: “Mildronate 1-2 X 10, repeat in 2 wks (before training or competition)”; “1 hr before competition, 2 pills of Mildronate”; “During games of special importance, you can increase your Mildronate dose to 3-4 pills (1 hr before the match). However, it is necessary to consult me on all these matters (please call)”; “30 minutes prior to a training session: Mildronat – 1 Capsule. 30-45 minutes prior to a tournament Mildronat 2 capsules”.
hablo is offline  
post #3 of 151 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Senior Member
 
hablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: canada
Posts: 49,946
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeknowitall
I just don't get this.
This happens too much in sports supposedly.
A party goes on, too many people. A women with fear in her eyes gets raped because she's vulnerable.
I thought there were classes on some of these college campuses for women to take to know the right road to take in these situations.
If you're going to be a dancer, dance at places where you know people, and where you know the area.I also think most universities handles cases like these in a way that lack agressiveness.
It is a thorn in the side of a school like Duke but at the same time something like this isn't going to go away easily.
I just don't know why pick women if you're going to have a gangbang in the first place.
As soon as they say the word STOP and the person doesn't stop, it's considered rape.
In the end ass is ass, pick a gay dude.
What gay dude is really going to say no to three erect dicks from three very fit and agressive lacrosse players.
Women get raped by people they know too !
I don't think a gay guy would enjoy being raped just cause he likes dicks and what makes you think he wouldn't say "stop" too!

Quote:
19. In the period from January to April 2006 Dr. Skalny sent very detailed messages to Ms Sharapova [...]: “Mildronate 1-2 X 10, repeat in 2 wks (before training or competition)”; “1 hr before competition, 2 pills of Mildronate”; “During games of special importance, you can increase your Mildronate dose to 3-4 pills (1 hr before the match). However, it is necessary to consult me on all these matters (please call)”; “30 minutes prior to a training session: Mildronat – 1 Capsule. 30-45 minutes prior to a tournament Mildronat 2 capsules”.
hablo is offline  
post #4 of 151 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,275
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knizzle
All I have to say is "The Players Club" and I know she watched it too.
It sounds like this came right out of the movie except replace a horny dude just out of jail with a lacrosse team.
You have to have some kind of sense in an fast pace occupation like this.
A person might make some money quick but it comes with some consequences too.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
post #5 of 151 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,275
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by hablovah
Women get raped by people they know too !
I don't think a gay guy would enjoy being raped just cause he likes dicks and what makes you think he wouldn't say "stop" too!
I didn't say they didn't.
The gay thing was a joke somewhat.
I just took an different approach, What would Jack McFarland do basically.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
post #6 of 151 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Knizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 21,749
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeknowitall
All I have to say is "The Players Club" and I know she watched it too.
It sounds like this came right out of the movie except replace a horny dude just out of jail with a lacrosse team.
You have to have some kind of sense in an fast pace occupation like this.
A person might make some money quick but it comes with some consequences too.
We don't know all the facts yet, but in any situation like this she cannot bear the entire blame. Not once in ur first post does it seem like u lay any blame on the the three ppl that raped this girl. Instead u tell them to get a gay dude who'll like getting raped by 3 lacrosse players. We won't get into this possibly being a hate crime.
Knizzle is offline  
post #7 of 151 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
.
 
Stamp Paid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: ...
Posts: 49,013
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeknowitall
All I have to say is "The Players Club" and I know she watched it too.
It sounds like this came right out of the movie except replace a horny dude just out of jail with a lacrosse team.
You have to have some kind of sense in an fast pace occupation like this.
A person might make some money quick but it comes with some consequences too.
Are you an exotic dancer as well...?


█████████████████ʘ
Stamp Paid is offline  
post #8 of 151 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
.
 
Stamp Paid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: ...
Posts: 49,013
                     
If you dont mind me asking, that is.


█████████████████ʘ
Stamp Paid is offline  
post #9 of 151 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,275
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knizzle
We don't know all the facts yet, but in any situation like this she cannot bear the entire blame. Not once in ur first post does it seem like u lay any blame on the the three ppl that raped this girl. Instead u tell them to get a gay dude who'll like getting raped by 3 lacrosse players. We won't get into this possibly being a hate crime.
I blame them equally. I am just not that sympathetic to someone who gets themselves in this situation.
It would like me going into the depths of North Philly walking with cash in my hands at night.
It's a crime but I'm pretty much asking for it to happen because I had no street smarts.

A bit of a hyperbole with the hate crime. I know and have read stories about Duke and it's homophobia. There's one openly gay black man on campus.
One thing I am saying that is true for the most part is that man on man action can be more aggressive and usually is more agressive than man on women action. That's where the spin happens to be.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
post #10 of 151 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,275
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by King.
Are you an exotic dancer as well...?
I could be. That's privileged information.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
post #11 of 151 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Knizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 21,749
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeknowitall
I blame them equally. I am just not that sympathetic to someone who gets themselves in this situation.
It would like me going into the depths of North Philly walking with cash in my hands at night.
It's a crime but I'm pretty much asking for it to happen because I had no street smarts.
We'll see how unsympathetic you are and how much you'll blame equally when it happens to someone you love or even worse....YOU. Once again we don't know all the facts yet, we don't know how they got in that bathroom.

Quote:
A bit of a hyperbole with the hate crime. I know and have read stories about Duke and it's homophobia. There's one openly gay black man on campus.
One thing I am saying that is true for the most part is that man on man action can be more aggressive and usually is more agressive than man on women action. That's where the spin happens to be.
Not sure what your point is here.
Knizzle is offline  
post #12 of 151 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Senior Member
 
hablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: canada
Posts: 49,946
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knizzle
We'll see how unsympathetic you are and how much you'll blame equally when it happens to someone you love or even worse....YOU. Once again we don't know all the facts yet, we don't know how they got in that bathroom.
I totally agree.

Quote:
19. In the period from January to April 2006 Dr. Skalny sent very detailed messages to Ms Sharapova [...]: “Mildronate 1-2 X 10, repeat in 2 wks (before training or competition)”; “1 hr before competition, 2 pills of Mildronate”; “During games of special importance, you can increase your Mildronate dose to 3-4 pills (1 hr before the match). However, it is necessary to consult me on all these matters (please call)”; “30 minutes prior to a training session: Mildronat – 1 Capsule. 30-45 minutes prior to a tournament Mildronat 2 capsules”.
hablo is offline  
post #13 of 151 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,275
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knizzle
We'll see how unsympathetic you are and how much you'll blame equally when it happens to someone you love or even worse....YOU. Once again we don't know all the facts yet, we don't know how they got in that bathroom.


Not sure what your point is here.
If it happens to me, then so be it. That's the society we live in.
I don't do things like that to put myself in a dangerous situation and neither does my family. I don't have to worry about that.
We don't know the facts but we can pretty much guess how they got in the bathroom.
She was probably in there already and one came in and then another and another.
She was forced in the bathroom and then things got way out of hand.

In the end it was still not the best of choices to go to a private party where she likely didn't know any of the people, she likely didn't know the area, and she was one of the few women there in what seems to be a pretty male oriented private party.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
post #14 of 151 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Knizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 21,749
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeknowitall
If it happens to me, then so be it. That's the society we live in.
I don't do things like that to put myself in a dangerous situation and neither does my family. I don't have to worry about that.
We don't know the facts but we can pretty much guess how they got in the bathroom.
She was probably in there already and one came in and then another and another.
She was forced in the bathroom and then things got way out of hand.
Yeah she deserved that shit, my fault, what was I thinking.

Quote:
In the end it was still not the best of choices to go to a private party where she likely didn't know any of the people, she likely didn't know the area, and she was one of the few women there in what seems to be a pretty male oriented private party.
She was HIRED to dance, LOL. Hiring a stripper for a party is not uncommon. Raping the strippers u hire therefore is.
Knizzle is offline  
post #15 of 151 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,275
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knizzle
Yeah she deserved that shit, my fault, what was I thinking.



She was HIRED to dance, LOL. Hiring a stripper for a party is not uncommon. Raping the strippers u hire therefore is.
Again I didn't say she deserved it.
As I said before, if I happened to be in North Philly walking with money in my hands, showing vulnerability and lacking some sort of common sense in my action, then in this day and age people will take advantage of it.

It's also not uncommon for people to assume that this hired dancer would go even further.
I'm not one of those people. That assumption is there though.

Usually someone knows someone when it comes to these parties, a friend of a friend, etc.
I just don't think she did.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome