News Flash! Bush Is Soooo Wrong On This One! Where's The "Main Stream Media"?!??! - TennisForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2006, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
SelesFan70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11,026
                     
News Flash! Bush Is Soooo Wrong On This One! Where's The "Main Stream Media"?!??!

By Jeremy Pelofsky
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Two U.S. Democratic senators said on Friday they would introduce legislation aimed at blocking Dubai Ports World from buying a company that operates several U.S. shipping ports because of security concerns.

Robert Menendez of New Jersey and Hillary Clinton of New York said they would offer a measure to ban companies owned or controlled by foreign governments from acquiring U.S. port operations.

"We wouldn't turn the border patrol or the customs service over to a foreign government, and we can't afford to turn our ports over to one either," Menendez said in a statement. The Senate Banking Committee also plans to hold a hearing on the issue later this month.

P&O, the company Dubai Ports World plans to buy for $6.8 billion, is already foreign-owned, by the British, but the concern is that the purchaser is backed by the United Arab Emirates government.

The UAE company would gain control over the management of major U.S. ports in New York and New Jersey, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New Orleans and Miami and that has sparked national security concerns among lawmakers.

"I will be working with Senator Menendez to introduce legislation that will prohibit the sale of ports to foreign governments," Clinton said in a statement.

A Dubai Ports World spokesman said ports managed by the company met international security standards and that it had received all the necessary U.S. regulatory approvals.

"All Dubai Ports World ports are ISPS (International Ship and Port Facility Security) certified as are the P&O ports in the U.S.," the spokesman told Reuters in Dubai.

The Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), a U.S. inter-agency panel that reviews security implications of foreign takeovers of strategic assets, already reviewed the transaction and did not object.

Despite that review, some Republicans and Democrats in the U.S. Congress urged the Bush administration to conduct a more rigorous review. They expressed fears that the UAE was used as a conduit for parts used for nuclear proliferation and that the local banking system had been abused by financiers with possible links to terrorist organizations.

The Senate Banking Committee plans to hold a hearing the week of February 27 on the P&O sale and the U.S. government review process, according to a panel spokesman.


"Clearly in our opinion there's some dysfunction in how the (CFIUS) process works in terms of transparency and whether national security concerns are being properly weighed in the decision," said committee spokesman Andrew Gray.

U.S. officials have said the UAE has been a solid and cooperative partner in the fight against terrorism, and have praised the UAE for steps to protect its booming financial sector against abuse by terrorism financiers.

Money for the September 11 attacks was wired through the UAE's banking system, according to U.S. officials. Two of the September 11 hijackers were UAE citizens.

U.S. seaports handle 2 billion tons of freight each year, but only about 5 percent of containers entering the United States are examined on arrival.

Similar concerns were raised when a China state-controlled oil company tried to acquire the U.S. oil company Unocal. After pressure from U.S. lawmakers, the foreign company eventually dropped its bid.

(Additional reporting by Caroline Drees in Washington and Dayan Candappa in Dubai)

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsar...mber=0&summit=

To even consider a plan that would turn over port authority to an arab nation with terrorist ties is just plain :retard: Hopefully, saner heads will prevail and this will be stopped in its tracks. Too bad the media is too focused on the non-story of the Cheney shooting when they could really hurt the Bush administration on this issue.

Tammy Bruce RightSideOfTheRainbow

Liberals: Hard on the unborn, soft on terrorists

Man-made climate change is a LIE

COUNTDOWN!
SelesFan70 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Serena's #1 Hater
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 19,725
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelesFan70
To even consider a plan that would turn over port authority to an arab nation with terrorist ties is just plain :retard: Hopefully, saner heads will prevail and this will be stopped in its tracks. Too bad the media is too focused on the non-story of the Cheney shooting when they could really hurt the Bush administration on this issue.
You're joking, right? THE VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES SHOT SOMEONE. This port story may very well be a bigger deal in the long run, but THE VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES SHOOTING SOMEONE is not now, nor will it ever be, a non-story.

"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 3,330
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelesFan70
By Jeremy Pelofsky
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Two U.S. Democratic senators said on Friday they would introduce legislation aimed at blocking Dubai Ports World from buying a company that operates several U.S. shipping ports because of security concerns.

Robert Menendez of New Jersey and Hillary Clinton of New York said they would offer a measure to ban companies owned or controlled by foreign governments from acquiring U.S. port operations.

"We wouldn't turn the border patrol or the customs service over to a foreign government, and we can't afford to turn our ports over to one either," Menendez said in a statement. The Senate Banking Committee also plans to hold a hearing on the issue later this month.

P&O, the company Dubai Ports World plans to buy for $6.8 billion, is already foreign-owned, by the British, but the concern is that the purchaser is backed by the United Arab Emirates government.

The UAE company would gain control over the management of major U.S. ports in New York and New Jersey, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New Orleans and Miami and that has sparked national security concerns among lawmakers.

"I will be working with Senator Menendez to introduce legislation that will prohibit the sale of ports to foreign governments," Clinton said in a statement.

A Dubai Ports World spokesman said ports managed by the company met international security standards and that it had received all the necessary U.S. regulatory approvals.

"All Dubai Ports World ports are ISPS (International Ship and Port Facility Security) certified as are the P&O ports in the U.S.," the spokesman told Reuters in Dubai.

The Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), a U.S. inter-agency panel that reviews security implications of foreign takeovers of strategic assets, already reviewed the transaction and did not object.

Despite that review, some Republicans and Democrats in the U.S. Congress urged the Bush administration to conduct a more rigorous review. They expressed fears that the UAE was used as a conduit for parts used for nuclear proliferation and that the local banking system had been abused by financiers with possible links to terrorist organizations.

The Senate Banking Committee plans to hold a hearing the week of February 27 on the P&O sale and the U.S. government review process, according to a panel spokesman.


"Clearly in our opinion there's some dysfunction in how the (CFIUS) process works in terms of transparency and whether national security concerns are being properly weighed in the decision," said committee spokesman Andrew Gray.

U.S. officials have said the UAE has been a solid and cooperative partner in the fight against terrorism, and have praised the UAE for steps to protect its booming financial sector against abuse by terrorism financiers.

Money for the September 11 attacks was wired through the UAE's banking system, according to U.S. officials. Two of the September 11 hijackers were UAE citizens.

U.S. seaports handle 2 billion tons of freight each year, but only about 5 percent of containers entering the United States are examined on arrival.

Similar concerns were raised when a China state-controlled oil company tried to acquire the U.S. oil company Unocal. After pressure from U.S. lawmakers, the foreign company eventually dropped its bid.

(Additional reporting by Caroline Drees in Washington and Dayan Candappa in Dubai)

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsar...mber=0&summit=

To even consider a plan that would turn over port authority to an arab nation with terrorist ties is just plain :retard: Hopefully, saner heads will prevail and this will be stopped in its tracks. Too bad the media is too focused on the non-story of the Cheney shooting when they could really hurt the Bush administration on this issue.

The United Arab Emirates is the most properous Arab nation. The people there aren't lunatics like the majority that live in the Middle East. It's an industrialized nation influenced heavily by western customs (you should visit). The US has ties to terrorism also. And your point?
jbone_0307 is offline  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2006, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
SelesFan70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11,026
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbone_0307
The United Arab Emirates is the most properous Arab nation. The people there aren't lunatics like the majority that live in the Middle East. It's an industrialized nation influenced heavily by western customs (you should visit). The US has ties to terrorism also. And your point?
That's why I would bug/wire tap all mosques here in the U.S., but I'm not in charge.

The open border with Mexico that Bush refuses to do anything about and now opening some of our ports to another country, especially an Arab country to run is obviously dumb. And if you think it's NOT a problem then please don't say a word when we are attacked again.

I would love to visit the UAE, but my muslim-dominated country of choice to visit would be The Seychelles.

Tammy Bruce RightSideOfTheRainbow

Liberals: Hard on the unborn, soft on terrorists

Man-made climate change is a LIE

COUNTDOWN!
SelesFan70 is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Day-Dreaming
Posts: 7,897
                     
Really nothing to worry about I think...if it was Iran or Syria or even Saudi Arabia, it would be a worry, but UAE? Nah.

"You Worry About Your Jump Rope and Yourself!" -Coral on Battle of the Sexes 2
(1/20/17) Just discovered this gem in my private messages from 2006:
Who is Rtael?
This guy Rtael ,brainless and ignorant, is one of the most obnoxious, arrogant and coward guys whos has been a pest in this forum for years now.Given the new anti-bully policy he'll probably be expelled soon. Observe how he tries to rally and gang others against you. Mean people like him shouldn't be allowed here. And all because he "doesn't like your attitude"!!
**Everyone should consider themselves warned!**
Rtael is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Veelieve!!!
 
Infiniti2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 29,296
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtael
Really nothing to worry about I think...if it was Iran or Syria or even Saudi Arabia, it would be a worry, but UAE? Nah.
The strong on terrorism Bush administration that has NEVER funded port security is going to turn over our ports to Arabs and nothing to worry about?? Piece by piece Bush is selling this country off to foreigners and Americans are sitting by quietly --- fucking incredible
Infiniti2001 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Guest
 
*JR*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the Peace Train
Posts: 34,246
                     
I presume that the security stuff (like inspecting cargo containers) is a US government function, regardless of who owns a port. Of course if its the Department of Homeland Security, they were who FEMA reported to in the Katrina fiasco.
*JR* is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2006, 09:45 PM
country flag RVD
Senior Member
 
RVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 33,489
                     
Oh come on guys...
It's all about money. It always has been. You all know that Americans no longer own the U.S.
And SelesFan70, are you saying that your boy Bush and company dropped the ball?! GODAMN!! Hell just froze over; pigs are flying; Serena will finally call me.

Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery. - Malcolm X
A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything. - Malcolm X
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Scotso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 47,044
                     
Bush..... hypocrite.


Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome