25 Most Shocking Moments In Movie History
The Crying Game's pivotal penis scene has topped a new movie poll of shocking moments.
The scene in question, where Stephen Rea's character is confronted by the naked truth that the dancer he's in love with is a man (Jaye Davidson), beat scenes in 1931 classic The Public Enemy and Alien to top Premiere magazine's new The 25 Most Shocking Moments In Movie History list. The Top 10 are:
1. The Crying Game (IRA member Fergus confronts his 'girlfriend's' member)
2. The Public Enemy (The dead body of James Cagney's gangster character Tom Powers is dumped on his family's doorstep)
3. Alien (Alien baby jumps out of John Hurt's stomach during a dinner scene)
4. Psycho (Vera Miles' character finds her sister's skeletal corpse in the basement of the Psycho house)
5. Bonnie + Clyde (Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty's Bonnie + Clyde are ambushed and killed by police in the country)
6. Reservoir Dogs (Michael Madsen's Mr Blonde slices off a police officer's ear as he dances to Steeler's Wheel's Stuck in the Middle with You)
7. Deliverance (Ned Beatty's character is anally raped by a hillbilly)
8. Carrie (Title character's dead hand grabs Amy Irving from beyond the grave)
9. The Exorcist (Linda Blair's possessed Regan repeatedly stabs herself in the crotch with a bloody crucifix)
10. Un Chien Andalou (A woman's eye is sliced by a razor blade in the arty Salvador Dali/Luis Buñuel movie).
11. Saving Private Ryan- Dude where's my arm?
12. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre- And up on the meathook you go!
13. The Usual Suspects (Revelation that pathetic con man Verbal Kint (Kevin Spacey) has masterminded the whole convoluted Kobayashi-Keyser Soze-Dean Keaton swindle comes as a slowly unraveling stunner.
Verbal has finished his tale, which has taken more twists than Mulholland Drive, and detective Kujan (Chazz Palminteri) disparagingly dismisses him. Verbal collects his belongings and limps out of the police station. And then he transforms - his stride becomes the confident swagger of the sociopath who engineered it all.)
14. The Godfather- Is that a horse head in your bed or are you just happy to see me?
15. Don't Look Now- Yikes! You're not my long dead daughter in a red rain coat!?
16. Pink Flamingos- Dog takes a dump on camera. Cross dresser eats it on camera.
17. Star Wars the Empire Strikes Back- Who's your Daddy?
18. Planet of the Apes- Statue of Liberty? What are you doing here?
19. Once upon a Time in the West- Henry Fonda kills a kid... And it's not Jane Fonda.
20. The Shining- All work and no play... Make Jack a Dull Boy... Or something like that.
21. Audition- Why's that big mail sack moving and growling like a lion? I thought this was supposed to be a romantic movie?
22. The Sixth Sense- Bruce Willis figures out why his breath won't fog up a window anymore.
23. S.O.B.- Julie Andrews let's out her balloons for the first time. A thousand young male fans of Marry Poppins suddenly start poppin'.
24. Jaws- We're gonna' need a bigger boat....
25. Where's Poppa?- Ass kiss 1970.
But I, being poor, have only my dreams
I have spread my dreams under your feet
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams