Are there any chemistry geniuses here? - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2005, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
No Name Face's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: nYc
Posts: 12,821
                     
Are there any chemistry geniuses here?

If so, can someone help me balance this equation:

K2Cr2O7 + H2SO4 + C2H5OH ----> Cr2(SO4)3 + K2SO4 + CH3COOH + H2O


I'd love you forever!

ROCK ON:
elena dementieva, serena williams, caroline wozniacki, ana ivanovic
david nalbandian, rafael nadal, andy murray, gael monfils, jo-wilfried tsonga
No Name Face is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2005, 01:29 AM
Senior Member
 
LUIS9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 1,879
                     
I've given it a try, I hope my stoichiometry isnt as pathetic as it once was.

I think its:

K2Cr207+3H2SO4+2C2H50H---> Cr2(SO4)_3 +K2SO4+4CH3OOH+H20

I got 18 hydrogens for both sides 21 oxygens for both sides and 4 carbos on each side. Hope it works out, I think this should be it. You can let me know if I was way off. But I took general chem 5 years ago. Are you in High school, wait until you take in college its a lot more fun. Orgo only gets better!
LUIS9 is offline  
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2005, 01:47 AM
Senior Member
 
WorldWar24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,480
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Name Face
If so, can someone help me balance this equation:

K2Cr2O7 + H2SO4 + C2H5OH ----> Cr2(SO4)3 + K2SO4 + CH3COOH + H2O


I'd love you forever!
K2Cr2O7 + 4.H2SO4 + C2H5OH + 2 H+ + 2e- ----> Cr2(SO4)3 + K2SO4 + CH3COOH + 6.H2O

This looks too easy, so I'm thinking this cannot be right. If we knew what level/ purpose this is for, maybe we could help

Threw my bad fortune
Off the top of
A tall building
I'd rather have done it with you

You don't have to hate your opponents to beat them - Kim Clijsters
WorldWar24 is offline  
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2005, 01:50 AM
Senior Member
 
LUIS9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 1,879
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldWar24
K2Cr2O7 + 4.H2SO4 + C2H5OH + 2 H+ + 2e- ----> Cr2(SO4)3 + K2SO4 + CH3COOH + 6.H2O

This looks too easy, so I'm thinking this cannot be right. If we knew what level/ purpose this is for, maybe we could help
Right I forgot the redox and oxidation values. No wonder I gave up being a biochem major.
LUIS9 is offline  
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2005, 01:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Sam's Slave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: little britain
Posts: 3,301
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUIS9
I've given it a try, I hope my stoichiometry isnt as pathetic as it once was.

I think its:

K2Cr207+3H2SO4+2C2H50H---> Cr2(SO4)_3 +K2SO4+4CH3OOH+H20

I got 18 hydrogens for both sides 21 oxygens for both sides and 4 carbos on each side. Hope it works out, I think this should be it. You can let me know if I was way off. But I took general chem 5 years ago. Are you in High school, wait until you take in college its a lot more fun. Orgo only gets better!
wrong


Sam Stosur
Alicia Molik
Elena Bovina
Svetlana Kuznetsova




Alicia Molik Fanpage
Sam's Slave is offline  
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2005, 01:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Sam's Slave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: little britain
Posts: 3,301
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldWar24
K2Cr2O7 + 4.H2SO4 + C2H5OH + 2 H+ + 2e- ----> Cr2(SO4)3 + K2SO4 + CH3COOH + 6.H2O

This looks too easy, so I'm thinking this cannot be right. If we knew what level/ purpose this is for, maybe we could help

there are free electrons in your formula so it isn't finished yet


Sam Stosur
Alicia Molik
Elena Bovina
Svetlana Kuznetsova




Alicia Molik Fanpage
Sam's Slave is offline  
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2005, 01:56 AM
Senior Member
 
LUIS9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 1,879
                     
yup I forgot the ions and electrons, man do I feel old. I guess I became adversed to electrons after organic chem, too much of something can turn you against it, orgo is all about the flow of electrons. Darn it and I got a decent score on the MCAT and its of no use to me.
LUIS9 is offline  
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2005, 01:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Sam's Slave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: little britain
Posts: 3,301
                     
here is the right answer

trust my i'm a chemical technician

K2Cr2O7 + H2SO4 + C2H5OH ----> Cr2(SO4)3 + K2SO4 + CH3COOH + H2O
________________________________________________

Red.: Cr2O7(2-) + 14 H(+) + 6 e(-)----> 7 H2O + 2 Cr(3+)
Ox.: C2H5OH ----> CH3CHO + 2 H(+) + 2e(-) |*3
______________________________________________
Cr2O7(2-) + 14 H(+) + 3 C2H5OH ----> 7 H2O + 2 Cr(3+) + 3 CH3CHO + 6 H(+)

Cr2O7(2-) + 8 H(+) + 3 C2H5OH ----> 7 H2O + 2 Cr(3+) + 3 CH3CHO
__________________________________________________ _
K2Cr2O7 + 4 H2SO4 + 3 C2H5OH ----> 7 H2O + Cr2(SO4)3 + 3 CH3CHO + K2SO4


Sam Stosur
Alicia Molik
Elena Bovina
Svetlana Kuznetsova




Alicia Molik Fanpage

Last edited by Sam's Slave; Sep 27th, 2005 at 02:09 AM.
Sam's Slave is offline  
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2005, 02:00 AM
Senior Bitch.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wanderstruck
Posts: 10,685
                     
wow...you all are making me feel so stupid right now.
ME F:retard:
ampers& is offline  
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2005, 02:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Sam's Slave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: little britain
Posts: 3,301
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miching~Mallecho
wow...you all are making me feel so stupid right now.
ME F:retard:
no just i made you look stupid , because mine is the right answer


nah don't worry....you know other stuff, stuff that is more import


Sam Stosur
Alicia Molik
Elena Bovina
Svetlana Kuznetsova




Alicia Molik Fanpage
Sam's Slave is offline  
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2005, 02:03 AM
Senior Bitch.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wanderstruck
Posts: 10,685
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sveta's Slave
no just i made you look stupid , because mine is the right answer


nah don't worry....you know other stuff, stuff that is more import
really?
like what?
ampers& is offline  
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2005, 02:05 AM
Senior Member
 
LUIS9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 1,879
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sveta's Slave
no just i made you look stupid , because mine is the right answer


nah don't worry....you know other stuff, stuff that is more import
What are you talking about chemistry is pretty much the biggest industry in which most developed nations rely on to keep their respective economies going.

Chemical engineers still top the salary charts right after college for BA OR BS holders. Not that other fields arent as important or useful but chem is the shit despite it being so abstract.
LUIS9 is offline  
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2005, 02:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Sam's Slave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: little britain
Posts: 3,301
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUIS9
What are you talking about chemistry is pretty much the biggest industry in which most developed nations rely on to keep their respective economies going.

Chemical engineers still top the salary charts right after college for BA OR BS holders. Not that other fields arent as important or useful but chem is the shit despite it being so abstract.
that was a joke. it was just an indirectness to miching's kinkiness


Sam Stosur
Alicia Molik
Elena Bovina
Svetlana Kuznetsova




Alicia Molik Fanpage
Sam's Slave is offline  
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2005, 02:37 AM
Senior Member
 
WorldWar24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,480
                     
erm Slave, the product of his reaction is CH3COOH not CH3CHO. MAybe he made a mistake there coz I tried with CH3COOH and the results were screwed up completely

Threw my bad fortune
Off the top of
A tall building
I'd rather have done it with you

You don't have to hate your opponents to beat them - Kim Clijsters
WorldWar24 is offline  
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2005, 02:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Sam's Slave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: little britain
Posts: 3,301
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldWar24
erm Slave, the product of his reaction is CH3COOH not CH3CHO. MAybe he made a mistake there coz I tried with CH3COOH and the results were screwed up completely
lol i didn't recognize that....but it has to be CH3CHO when you but these educts together. so i guess you're right and no name face made a mistake


Sam Stosur
Alicia Molik
Elena Bovina
Svetlana Kuznetsova




Alicia Molik Fanpage
Sam's Slave is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome