Italy snaps over gay poster excess - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2005, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
spiceboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 51,179
                     
Italy snaps over gay poster excess

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/inter...572822,00.html

Barbara McMahon in Rome
Sunday September 18, 2005
The Observer


Half-naked models are commonplace on Italy's advertising hoardings but a kiss between two fully dressed men has caused a furore on the streets of its capital.

Photographer Oliviero Toscani has ignited a furious debate over homosexuality with his latest adverts featuring two men kissing and groping on a sofa. The billboards have triggered outrage at a time when the rights of homosexual couples are being hotly debated in Catholic Italy.

In one poster for the men's clothing line Ra-Re, one of the models is clutching another's crotch. Another shows the same model lying across the sofa and pulling his boyfriend on top of him for a kiss.

'These posters are vulgar and a bad example for our children,' said a spokesman for the parents association MOIGE, which wants the adverts banned. 'It's not a matter of sexual orientation. They would be crass even if they featured a man and a woman.' Complaints have flooded in to the offices of Rome city council and an organisation called The Citizens Defence Movement has joined the chorus of criticism. 'Obviously we respect homosexuality but it can be difficult to explain to young children,' a spokesman said.

Toscani, who was behind the controversial Benetton clothing company adverts and whose career has been built on shock tactics, was typically unrepentant. The 63-year-old photographer admitted he had taken advantage of the current debate in Italy about the legal and civil rights of gay couples.

'There's a big discussion going on about homosexuality in Italy so I thought it was the right time to do something like this," he told The Observer. "I don't think it's vulgar. It's just two men having fun together. These parents who are complaining - their kids already know about this stuff. The Vatican is not too happy with me either but the church is an anachronism in the world today. I don't think it has any influence on young people.'

During his 18-year collaboration with Benetton, Toscani was accused of cynicism in using controversial images for commercial ends. They included a dying Aids activist, handicapped children, a man slain by the Mafia, and a nun kissing a priest. In 2000 he left the company after a campaign featuring death row inmates sparked a series of law suits. Demands for the adverts to be withdrawn have had little success. A spokesman for Rome city council said it was not their job to decide what was morally acceptable in advertising.


But I, being poor, have only my dreams
I have spread my dreams under your feet
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams
spiceboy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Helen Lawson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for Shirley
Posts: 19,302
                     
The guy on the bottom is cute. The other one looks like a girly-man. That being said, Helen would sleep with either/both of them. I mean, even an Italian girly-man model has some appeal.

Whitney Houston and her receipts:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...17447&page=324
Helen Lawson is offline  
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Senior Member
 
skanky~skanketta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Not paradise thats fo sho
Posts: 15,458
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceboy
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/inter...572822,00.html

Barbara McMahon in Rome
Sunday September 18, 2005
The Observer


Half-naked models are commonplace on Italy's advertising hoardings but a kiss between two fully dressed men has caused a furore on the streets of its capital.

Photographer Oliviero Toscani has ignited a furious debate over homosexuality with his latest adverts featuring two men kissing and groping on a sofa. The billboards have triggered outrage at a time when the rights of homosexual couples are being hotly debated in Catholic Italy.

In one poster for the men's clothing line Ra-Re, one of the models is clutching another's crotch. Another shows the same model lying across the sofa and pulling his boyfriend on top of him for a kiss.

'These posters are vulgar and a bad example for our children,' said a spokesman for the parents association MOIGE, which wants the adverts banned. 'It's not a matter of sexual orientation. They would be crass even if they featured a man and a woman.' Complaints have flooded in to the offices of Rome city council and an organisation called The Citizens Defence Movement has joined the chorus of criticism. 'Obviously we respect homosexuality but it can be difficult to explain to young children,' a spokesman said.

Toscani, who was behind the controversial Benetton clothing company adverts and whose career has been built on shock tactics, was typically unrepentant. The 63-year-old photographer admitted he had taken advantage of the current debate in Italy about the legal and civil rights of gay couples.

'There's a big discussion going on about homosexuality in Italy so I thought it was the right time to do something like this," he told The Observer. "I don't think it's vulgar. It's just two men having fun together. These parents who are complaining - their kids already know about this stuff. The Vatican is not too happy with me either but the church is an anachronism in the world today. I don't think it has any influence on young people.'

During his 18-year collaboration with Benetton, Toscani was accused of cynicism in using controversial images for commercial ends. They included a dying Aids activist, handicapped children, a man slain by the Mafia, and a nun kissing a priest. In 2000 he left the company after a campaign featuring death row inmates sparked a series of law suits. Demands for the adverts to be withdrawn have had little success. A spokesman for Rome city council said it was not their job to decide what was morally acceptable in advertising.

that's the stupidest excuse i've ever heard!how do they explain children being born? storks? i'm sure they can make something up for this.

anyway, nice pic. they guy on top looks hot!i want to see his face fully though.

skanky~skanketta is offline  
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Senior Member
 
skanky~skanketta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Not paradise thats fo sho
Posts: 15,458
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson
The guy on the bottom is cute. The other one looks like a girly-man. That being said, Helen would sleep with either/both of them. I mean, even an Italian girly-man model has some appeal.
i think that the guy on top is hot. but i'd sleep with both too.

that bein said, helen's a slut!

skanky~skanketta is offline  
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Scotso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 47,044
                     
What exactly is so vulgar about that?

We're exposed to straight people doing much worse on a daily basis.


Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline  
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Helen Lawson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for Shirley
Posts: 19,302
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by name_change
i think that the guy on top is hot. but i'd sleep with both too.

that bein said, helen's a slut!
A slut?? Helen just calls them as she sees them. After 87 years, she's freer and easier about her sexual morals and stuff. Too bad no one will touch her at this age...

Whitney Houston and her receipts:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...17447&page=324
Helen Lawson is offline  
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Scotso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 47,044
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson
A slut?? Helen just calls them as she sees them. After 87 years, she's freer and easier about her sexual morals and stuff. Too bad no one will touch her at this age...
Put on a strap-on, and I'll have a go.


Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline  
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Senior Member
 
kabuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In denial
Posts: 6,176
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaTorresFan
Put on a strap-on, and I'll have a go.
kabuki is offline  
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Senior Member
 
skanky~skanketta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Not paradise thats fo sho
Posts: 15,458
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabuki
my sentiments exactly.

anyway, helen, do u do anal?

skanky~skanketta is offline  
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,216
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson
The guy on the bottom is cute. The other one looks like a girly-man. That being said, Helen would sleep with either/both of them. I mean, even an Italian girly-man model has some appeal.
That's usually the trouble with skinny little pretty boys that dress well (which is most of Italy)- they're incredibly hot until they open their mouth, and out pops "Jesus, Mary, did you check out the girls' room at the club last Friday?"

There is nothing more beautiful than Evonne Goolagong in full flight moving across a tennis court.
alfajeffster is offline  
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Helen Lawson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for Shirley
Posts: 19,302
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaTorresFan
Put on a strap-on, and I'll have a go.
Helen hasn't been propositioned since she was Grand Marshall at West Hollywood Gay Pride! And even though the guys loved me, it would have been a pity-fuck as I saw them drawing straws the next float over, the loser to take one for the team to please the living legend. So, I let the little fruit off with a peck on the cheek and an autograph, "I'm sure it would have been great, but I'm too much woman for you. Love, Helen Lawson." The guy loved it.

Whitney Houston and her receipts:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...17447&page=324
Helen Lawson is offline  
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Helen Lawson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for Shirley
Posts: 19,302
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by name_change
my sentiments exactly.

anyway, helen, do u do anal?
Certainly not.

Whitney Houston and her receipts:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...17447&page=324
Helen Lawson is offline  
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2005, 12:29 AM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
controlfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 5,857
                     
Good thing Italy doesn't visit WTAWorld. There are more gay posters here than I can count on my Wendy's amputated finger collection.
controlfreak is offline  
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2005, 01:05 AM
Senior Member
 
~ The Leopard ~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Kissing my little Lolita
Posts: 13,105
                     
^Yes, I was thinking of a different kind of gay poster excess.

Vin, kvinder og sang
~ The Leopard ~ is offline  
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 10,798
                     
Damn, some of the stuff out there is wayyyyyy worse than that ad.
Jakeev is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome