Why is gay marriage such a big deal to those who oppose it? - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2005, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,844
                     
Why is gay marriage such a big deal to those who oppose it?

I can understand being vehemently in favor of the right to marry.

I don't really understand the vehemence of the opposition. If you're opposed to homosexuality in the first place, then you are. I don't agree with you, but at least your position is consistent, if not grounded in reason. What I don't understand is people who can support gay 'civil union' legislation, but not gay 'marriage'. Or instances where gay couples can adopt, but not marry.

Proud to be an American
Not blind. Not uninformed. We are party to atrocities. But the response of the world after 9/11 is worth noting. Even our most dire enemies offered aid. We should all be so lucky.
Volcana is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter
 
Sam L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: La La Land
Posts: 35,789
                     
In some ways I can see their point. "Marriage" is in a way tied to religion. Especially in the western christian world. So it's almost like making a mockery of the institution of marriage which is based on their religious beliefs, etc...

Light of the Seven: Himalayas, Gobi, Baikal, Taiga, Steppe, Alps, Aurora

Dancing and Skating through Life
Sam L is offline  
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Senior Member
 
SelesFan70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11,026
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L
In some ways I can see their point. "Marriage" is in a way tied to religion. Especially in the western christian world. So it's almost like making a mockery of the institution of marriage which is based on their religious beliefs, etc...
Point well made! It's the semantics of the word "marriage".

Tammy Bruce RightSideOfTheRainbow

Liberals: Hard on the unborn, soft on terrorists

Man-made climate change is a LIE

COUNTDOWN!
SelesFan70 is offline  
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Senior Member
 
PaulieM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Under Roger
Posts: 3,380
                     
i think for many people marriage is a religious sacrament, and if the religious institutions for which it is a sacred sacrament are opposed to homosexuality then people have issues with same sex unions being called marriages. i know people who would be ok with all unions not performed by the church being considered civil unions. for many it's not necessarily about not wanting same sex couples to have the same rights as heterosexual couples.

Serena: Australian Open Champion 2005

Venus: Wimbledon Champion 2005

Amelie Mauresmo- Amazing! YEC Champ 2005, AO 2006 CHAMP!!

Myskina, Davenport, Kuznetsova, Golovin, Ivanovic, Pierce, Schnyder, Mirza, Benesova

Lindsay Lee Waters, A-L Groenefeld, Dally Randriantefy, Nadia Petrova, Alicia Molik, Kim Clijsters

Roger Federer Forever!


"I was ready to die on the court today"-Amelie Mauresmo
PaulieM is offline  
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3
                     
to the right wing anti-everythings marriage is a sacrement

to us homosexuals, marriage is seeking rights such as security for adoption, joint benefits such as health insurance.. bla bla bla, all those little luxuries which most of us will never have because mr bush, who isnt religious and doesnt worship, thinks its morally wrong. if me and my partner adopt a child, and the "official" adoptee is killed, the other would not have rights to the child. even though we may have spent 10 years raising it together.
skirty is offline  
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Foot_Fault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Live with my Wife Venus!!
Posts: 8,827
                     
Who Cares? Like Chris Rock said, If someone wanted to Marry a Monkey...How does that Affect Me?

Fuck'em... Men, Marry Men. Women, Marry Women. It doesn't affect me at all. I am not FEEDING, FINANCING, or FUCKING any of them....not my concern and shouldnt be anyone else.

Self Righteous MotherFuckers. Let me take it to the Ghetto real quick. Jive Ass Niggas!(Ignorant People)

NOW TRENDING
#SEETHE
#SerenaSLAM

#YourFaveCouldNEVER
#TWENTYTWO
#StillSEETHING
#
Foot_Fault is offline  
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Enjoying married life.
 
Wigglytuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: lolcat
Posts: 19,642
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana
I can understand being vehemently in favor of the right to marry.

I don't really understand the vehemence of the opposition. If you're opposed to homosexuality in the first place, then you are. I don't agree with you, but at least your position is consistent, if not grounded in reason. What I don't understand is people who can support gay 'civil union' legislation, but not gay 'marriage'. Or instances where gay couples can adopt, but not marry.
there is no reason. some people just don't want other people to be happy.

one thing that people say is a reason but is not, because its not true:

marriage is based on, tied to, or the result of religion
people who say this are just ignorant.

there was marriage in before Constantine and the conversion of some pagan Europeans to Christianity and there was marriage afterward. there was marriage here in on this land before Columbus ruined it for the people who had lived here.

marriage is an institution that exists both within and without western religious nations, and locals and therefore can not be attributed or credited to western religion.


now some people would say that natives Americans didn't marry because it was not a Christian marriage, or that it doesn't count because native Americans don't count. (i mean its not like they are people or anything)

others say "marriage as we know it today" and that's just silly, of course marriage is it is today didn't exist in the Olmec society because it was a different place, time, culture and worldview. legal systems as we know them today did not exist during the time of the Olmec that doesn't mean they ate their young and had no laws or rules of any kind. it means they had a law/rule system that was different than ours but still very much valid.

"racism is dead, it died when MLK walked on a bridge and freed the slaves. Now we have a socialist Kenyan president who is not an American and if anyone mentions race they are a reverse racist (while racism is dead, reverse racism is alive and well.) #whattheyteachyouatfox"

Last edited by Jigglypuff; Jun 30th, 2005 at 03:46 PM.
Wigglytuff is offline  
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Senior Member
 
kabuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In denial
Posts: 6,176
                     
Where's Nash?
kabuki is offline  
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Senior Member
 
PaulieM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Under Roger
Posts: 3,380
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieM
i think for many people marriage is a religious sacrament, and if the religious institutions for which it is a sacred sacrament are opposed to homosexuality then people have issues with same sex unions being called marriages. i know people who would be ok with all unions not performed by the church being considered civil unions. for many it's not necessarily about not wanting same sex couples to have the same rights as heterosexual couples.
Just a clarification, I was only trying to explain some reasons that I have heard people use in the past. Is it right or not? I don't know. either way this is probably one of the many issues that people will never agree upon.

Serena: Australian Open Champion 2005

Venus: Wimbledon Champion 2005

Amelie Mauresmo- Amazing! YEC Champ 2005, AO 2006 CHAMP!!

Myskina, Davenport, Kuznetsova, Golovin, Ivanovic, Pierce, Schnyder, Mirza, Benesova

Lindsay Lee Waters, A-L Groenefeld, Dally Randriantefy, Nadia Petrova, Alicia Molik, Kim Clijsters

Roger Federer Forever!


"I was ready to die on the court today"-Amelie Mauresmo
PaulieM is offline  
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 441
                     
For me, that's no longer an issue. 2 days ago, Canada passed a bill that made homosexual marriage legal. This bill means that the GLBT community can get married at public places, like city hall or a court. The churches still have the right to refuse to marry a homosexual couple if they feel that is necessary.

GO CANADA!!!!!!!!


When you say love
Is a simple chemical reaction
Can't say I agree
Cause my chemicals
Left me a beautiful disaster
Still love's all I see

So I'm taking these pills for to fill up my soul
And I'm drinking them down with cheap alcohol
And you'd be inclined to be mine for the taking
And part of this terrible mess that I'm making
But you...you're the catalyst

Anna Nalick - Catalyst
canadian_bass_2 is offline  
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter
 
Sam L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: La La Land
Posts: 35,789
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglypuff
there is no reason. some people just don't want other people to be happy.

one thing that people say is a reason but is not, because its not true:

marriage is based on, tied to, or the result of religion
people who say this are just ignorant.

there was marriage in before Constantine and the conversion of some pagan Europeans to Christianity and there was marriage afterward. there was marriage here in on this land before Columbus ruined it for the people who had lived here.

marriage is an institution that exists both within and without western religious nations, and locals and therefore can not be attributed or credited to western religion.


now some people would say that natives Americans didn't marry because it was not a Christian marriage, or that it doesn't count because native Americans don't count. (i mean its not like they are people or anything)

others say "marriage as we know it today" and that's just silly, of course marriage is it is today didn't exist in the Olmec society because it was a different place, time, culture and worldview. legal systems as we know them today did not exist during the time of the Olmec that doesn't mean they ate their young and had no laws or rules of any kind. it means they had a law/rule system that was different than ours but still very much valid.
Jiggly, we live in a most "Christian" society.

Especially in America, "One nation under God" and "In God, we trust".

Yes you're right, but read my first sentence. To them, marriage is church/religion based.

Anyway, to avoid such prejudices I suggest we start our own religions. Look at my other thread.

Light of the Seven: Himalayas, Gobi, Baikal, Taiga, Steppe, Alps, Aurora

Dancing and Skating through Life
Sam L is offline  
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Helen Lawson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for Shirley
Posts: 19,301
                     
I understand what all of you are saying, but really, if you're comfortable with your belief system, it shouldn't matter. If you really think marriage is only between a man and a woman before the eyes of God, do you really care if a bunch of gay people are running around telling people they're married or even have the legal right to call themselves that? Isn't the joke sort of on them, so why get all uptight about it.
I don't care if someone goes out and forges a fake Oscar and walks around muttering an acceptance speech. I know the truth, and what someone else does has no effect on me.

Whitney Houston and her receipts:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...17447&page=324
Helen Lawson is offline  
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter
 
Sam L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: La La Land
Posts: 35,789
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson
I understand what all of you are saying, but really, if you're comfortable with your belief system, it shouldn't matter. If you really think marriage is only between a man and a woman before the eyes of God, do you really care if a bunch of gay people are running around telling people they're married or even have the legal right to call themselves that? Isn't the joke sort of on them, so why get all uptight about it.
I don't care if someone goes out and forges a fake Oscar and walks around muttering an acceptance speech. I know the truth, and what someone else does has no effect on me.
Your last sentence. That's like a sin in our religion right?

Light of the Seven: Himalayas, Gobi, Baikal, Taiga, Steppe, Alps, Aurora

Dancing and Skating through Life
Sam L is offline  
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Helen Lawson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for Shirley
Posts: 19,301
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L
Your last sentence. That's like a sin in our religion right?
It is?

It's like the Da Vinci Code. All these people going nuts over it. Big deal. I took it as an interesting piece of fiction and an interesting what if. Like I'm going to give up my religion over a Dan Brown book? And if someone did, how does that affect my religion? People are free to believe what they want to, exercise free will, isn't that in the Bible, or am I mixing that up with a movie script?

Whitney Houston and her receipts:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...17447&page=324
Helen Lawson is offline  
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter
 
Sam L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: La La Land
Posts: 35,789
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson
It is?

It's like the Da Vinci Code. All these people going nuts over it. Big deal. I took it as an interesting piece of fiction and an interesting what if. Like I'm going to give up my religion over a Dan Brown book? And if someone did, how does that affect my religion? People are free to believe what they want to, exercise free will, isn't that in the Bible, or am I mixing that up with a movie script?
The part about making a fake Oscar. LoL.

Ben-Hur?

Light of the Seven: Himalayas, Gobi, Baikal, Taiga, Steppe, Alps, Aurora

Dancing and Skating through Life
Sam L is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome