CURIOUS: How did you feel Awaiting your HIV Testing Results??? - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2005, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Foot_Fault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Live with my Wife Venus!!
Posts: 8,733
                     
CURIOUS: How did you feel Awaiting your HIV Testing Results???

On an Annual Basis I get tested. I have slipped in the past with unprotected sex, however I am usually safe. MTV is running a champaign call Free Testing Week "Get Tested", so I figured since it's free I'll bit.

They have the New Rapid Testing, where you get your results in 20 minutes and it could be done with the Finger Prick Test with some blood or the New Oral Test. I Opted for the Finger Prick which i was told are 99.9% accurate.

I went in and met with the HIV Counselor as she was asking me about my sexual history, and one question stood out. "do you think you're at risk?" And I said no, but you never know, there was a cast of doubt. After the brief counseling session I took my test and was told to come back or just wait in 20 or 30 minutes. So i did what everyone a lil nervous would do...SHOP. But not that kind, just went to CVS for toiletries. I walk back into the clinic, told the counselor I was back....she looked at me and said, "Oh, let me get the nurse." I was like OOoo Shit. The nurse came in with my paperwork, I said, "dont beat around the bush with me....Tell Me IMMEDIATELY!" My heart was pounding.

She said.."Oh, it's Negative." Damn what a relief, i took the Nurses hand and put it on my chest, she said... "Whoa, your heart is pounding like mad." I go through the same emotions Everytime.

WHY? Is it because the mark of "possible" something life altering with the stigma of death attached to it?

ps. trying to divert some emotions here, trying not to think about the Venus/Sharapova match.

NOW TRENDING
#SEETHE
#SerenaSLAM

#YourFaveCouldNEVER
#TWENTYONE
#StillSEETHING
#
Foot_Fault is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Rican In The Burgh
 
charmedRic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Yinzer Land
Posts: 36,440
                     
Whenever your partner has been with someone else there is always the possibility that the third party could have lied. An might have infected your partner, therefore putting you in a high risk.

The couple of times I've been tested (and I'm 18), I went in pretty secure seeing as my two boyfriends were very clear about their histories. However in those 5 to 10 minutes before the results are in every single scenario runs through your head.

And of course, the one where they tell you that you're positive is one that makes your heart beat like crazy.

I'm glad to hear MTV is having a program, . It's so sad to see all the youth know so little unless they're a group that's in a high risk environment.

TT Singles: 2014 SF: Bogota, New Braunfels. 2013 F: Las Vegas, SF: Orlando, Sibenik.
TT Doubles: 2014 W: Trnava w PinkTape. 2013 W: St Martin, Orlando, Sibenik, Charlottesville, Nantes-YEC all w Soliloque; Lexington w DJDVD.
charmedRic is offline  
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2005, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Foot_Fault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Live with my Wife Venus!!
Posts: 8,733
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedRic
Whenever your partner has been with someone else there is always the possibility that the third party could have lied. An might have infected your partner, therefore putting you in a high risk.

The couple of times I've been tested (and I'm 18), I went in pretty secure seeing as my two boyfriends were very clear about their histories. However in those 5 to 10 minutes before the results are in every single scenario runs through your head.

And of course, the one where they tell you that you're positive is one that makes your heart beat like crazy.

I'm glad to hear MTV is having a program, . It's so sad to see all the youth know so little unless they're a group that's in a high risk environment.
Glad you are so aware. I have hetro sex, which is MORE RISKY. Only because the mentality going in is..."the gay disease and that SUX, B/c it's not. EVERYONE having UPS is at risk. I didnt have the scenario spread, I just wanted to know, and know immediately. Lay it on me, dont beat around the bush.

Yeah, MTV really doing a good thing.

NOW TRENDING
#SEETHE
#SerenaSLAM

#YourFaveCouldNEVER
#TWENTYONE
#StillSEETHING
#
Foot_Fault is offline  
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Senior Member
 
BigB08822's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: L.S.U.
Posts: 4,218
                     
I have to go get tested soon, especially since I just found out my boyfriend of 8 months was cheating on me with two people.
BigB08822 is offline  
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Cariaoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Hustler University
Posts: 21,802
                     
I'm seriously thinking about getting tested. I've had UPS this year. Time to get it done.

Williams x2 Clijsters Golovin Ivanovic Li Jackson
Federer Blake Fish Roddick Grosjean Bryans x2

"I believe in being polite, you know. In life, the elevator goes both ways, up and down."
-- Roger Federer

like my av? want one like it?
Cariaoke is offline  
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Nicjac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: TBAA meeting
Posts: 4,243
                     
Well, how does one feel looking into the face of death.

People tend to forget that still no cure for AIDS exist.
Nicjac is offline  
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Helen Lawson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for Shirley
Posts: 19,303
                     
The time I got tested, I didn't even know. They took a bunch of blood for a life insurance physical, and then the chippie called to tell me the tests were fine and that if I wanted to know, the HIV was negative.
That's the best way to get tested.

Whitney Houston and her receipts:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...17447&page=324
Helen Lawson is offline  
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2005, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Foot_Fault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Live with my Wife Venus!!
Posts: 8,733
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson
The time I got tested, I didn't even know. They took a bunch of blood for a life insurance physical, and then the chippie called to tell me the tests were fine and that if I wanted to know, the HIV was negative.
That's the best way to get tested.
I give blood all the time. Now they will test it for HIV, but unless you sign a CONSENT form, they were not suppose to tell you. But I guess b/c it was a life insurance policy that was different.

I think it's real and I can kick my own ass for having UPS in the last year, but I told God yesterday if it was negative, i will not gamble with that ever again.
and NicJac was right, there is NOT i repeat NOT a cure for AIDS.

NOW TRENDING
#SEETHE
#SerenaSLAM

#YourFaveCouldNEVER
#TWENTYONE
#StillSEETHING
#
Foot_Fault is offline  
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,968
                     
There is no cure, but its certainly not a death sentence. In the late 80's and even up until the 90's, being tested positive was a death sentence. But its not like that anymore. There are some excellent treatments. Remember, being HIV positive doesnt mean u have AIDS. HIV is the virus that causes AIDS. People can take care of themselves and never reach AIDS status.
Saying that, we must all use protection and be cautious.

What? Lights, camera and me not a stich of makeup on
TimBo is offline  
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2005, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Foot_Fault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Live with my Wife Venus!!
Posts: 8,733
                     
For all that want to know about the MTV Champaign that I spoke of here is the link.
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/150...headlines=true

Just click the Find a testing center HERE button, and then put in your zip code it will give you the nearest center to you. And it's FREE and you can get your results in 20 minutes. It ends Tomorrow.

NOW TRENDING
#SEETHE
#SerenaSLAM

#YourFaveCouldNEVER
#TWENTYONE
#StillSEETHING
#
Foot_Fault is offline  
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,968
                     
At your local health dept.. its always free

What? Lights, camera and me not a stich of makeup on
TimBo is offline  
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2005, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Foot_Fault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Live with my Wife Venus!!
Posts: 8,733
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBo
At your local health dept.. its always free
Not the Rapid test. Correct me if I am wrong though. But the regular test where they draw blood and send to the lab is free as I was told, and you get your results in a week or two. The Rapid test are $95.00

NOW TRENDING
#SEETHE
#SerenaSLAM

#YourFaveCouldNEVER
#TWENTYONE
#StillSEETHING
#
Foot_Fault is offline  
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2005, 03:00 PM
country flag pla
Senior Member
 
pla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 7,723
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot_Fault
On an Annual Basis I get tested. I have slipped in the past with unprotected sex, however I am usually safe. MTV is running a champaign call Free Testing Week "Get Tested", so I figured since it's free I'll bit.

They have the New Rapid Testing, where you get your results in 20 minutes and it could be done with the Finger Prick Test with some blood or the New Oral Test. I Opted for the Finger Prick which i was told are 99.9% accurate.

I went in and met with the HIV Counselor as she was asking me about my sexual history, and one question stood out. "do you think you're at risk?" And I said no, but you never know, there was a cast of doubt. After the brief counseling session I took my test and was told to come back or just wait in 20 or 30 minutes. So i did what everyone a lil nervous would do...SHOP. But not that kind, just went to CVS for toiletries. I walk back into the clinic, told the counselor I was back....she looked at me and said, "Oh, let me get the nurse." I was like OOoo Shit. The nurse came in with my paperwork, I said, "dont beat around the bush with me....Tell Me IMMEDIATELY!" My heart was pounding.

She said.."Oh, it's Negative." Damn what a relief, i took the Nurses hand and put it on my chest, she said... "Whoa, your heart is pounding like mad." I go through the same emotions Everytime.

WHY? Is it because the mark of "possible" something life altering with the stigma of death attached to it?

ps. trying to divert some emotions here, trying not to think about the Venus/Sharapova match.

You had to wait only 20 minutes, imagine if it was DAYS. It was horrible. When I get tested for HVC it's scary but nothing like HIV. I was terrorized, all the time had my heart going like crazy, I was during more than a week like a zomby- almost unconcious . In fact it wasn't even my test, it was my husband's test but if his was negative my one would be too and vice versa. Then came the day of the verdict, my husband entered the doctor's office and disappeared for an hour there, I thought the results were bad and and almost colapsed. Then my husband came and he said it was negative and I started crying like a baby, I cryed for something like an hour in his arms.

One thing is sure, I will never hav USPs EVER in my life if I have the choice . It was terrifying
pla is offline  
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2005, 03:00 PM
country flag SJW
Senior Member
 
SJW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Allez
Posts: 11,016
                     
i should get it done. i just dont have the bottle
SJW is offline  
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2005, 03:02 PM
country flag pla
Senior Member
 
pla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 7,723
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBo
There is no cure, but its certainly not a death sentence. In the late 80's and even up until the 90's, being tested positive was a death sentence. But its not like that anymore. There are some excellent treatments. Remember, being HIV positive doesnt mean u have AIDS. HIV is the virus that causes AIDS. People can take care of themselves and never reach AIDS status.
Saying that, we must all use protection and be cautious.
The problem is not everyone have a positive responce to the drugs and some people have so bad secondary effects that it's impossible to live a normal life. You know, I have a HVC pos. person in my nearest antourage and this virus is not as bad as HIV's and it's still horrible.
pla is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome