New pope intervened against Kerry in US 2004 election campaign - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2005, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: florida
Posts: 24,503
                     
New pope intervened against Kerry in US 2004 election campaign

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/200.../vaticanpopeus



German Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, the Vatican theologian who was elected Pope Benedict XVI, intervened in the 2004 US election campaign ordering bishops to deny communion to abortion rights supporters including presidential candidate John Kerry
In a June 2004 letter to US bishops enunciating principles of worthiness for communion recipients, Ratzinger specified that strong and open supporters of abortion should be denied the Catholic sacrament, for being guilty of a "grave sin." He specifically mentioned "the case of a Catholic politician consistently campaigning and voting for permissive abortion and euthanasia laws," a reference widely understood to mean Democratic candidate Kerry, a Catholic who has defended abortion rights.

The letter said a priest confronted with such a person seeking communion "must refuse to distribute it."

A footnote to the letter also condemned any Catholic who votes specifically for a candidate because the candidate holds a pro-abortion position. Such a voter "would be guilty of formal cooperation in evil, and so unworthy to present himself for holy communion," the letter read.

The letter, which was revealed in the Italian magazine L'Espresso last year, was reportedly only sent to US Catholic bishops, who discussed it in their convocation in Denver, Colorado, in mid-June.

Sharply divided on the issue, the bishops decided to leave the decision on granting or denying communion to the individual priest. Kerry later received communion several times from sympathetic priests.

Nevertheless, in the November election, a majority of Catholic voters, who traditionally supported Democratic Party candidates, shifted their votes to Republican and eventual winner George W. Bush.

-one of those "bad" Williams fans that everyone keeps talking about


OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2005, 04:18 AM
Senior Member
 
alexusjonesfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: inside
Posts: 7,837
                     
See, Dubya really does have the big guy on his side.

future 25+ gs champ alexus "don't you get in mah back seat" jones
alexusjonesfan is offline  
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Scotso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 47,046
                     
This should get him excommunicated. The church isn't supposed to get involved in politics, is it?

It's natural for Nazis to support Dubya.


Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline  
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
CooCooCachoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 63,507
                     
The Pope is dead. Hail the Pope.



CHARDY | CHIUDINELLI | CIPOLLA


Bemelmans|Camerin|Cornet|Crivoi|Cuevas|Dentoni|Dod ig|Garbin|Granollers
Hlavackova|Ilhan|Kohli|Kuznetsov|Lammer|Mannarino| Menendez|Phau|Polansky
Rezaï|Robredo|Roger-Vasselin|Srebotnik|Szavay|Wörle|Zverev

CooCooCachoo is offline  
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,353
                     
I'm so gald that some here are comparing Germans to Nazis. HAHA that will really tick of the Germans. I love Pope Benedict even more now. Thanks for letting me know about this Torres.
Lord Nelson is offline  
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Veelieve!!!
 
Infiniti2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 27,026
 
More and more it's becoming apparent why the Catholic church or any other religion should not be allowed to hold any tax-exempy property in the country. They need to keep their noses out of politics

"I love the game, I love the thrill, I love the "Go Venus`."
"It takes a lot of work to get to this level, so while I can play I'm going to play."

Venus Ebone Starr Williams
Infiniti2001 is offline  
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2005, 02:47 PM
double-dog daredevil
 
griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: self-imposed exile
Posts: 12,049
                     
I remember that.

It would smell less if he'd at least been consistant and tried to tell priests not to give communion to politicians who supported the death penalty. Or war.

Hypocrite.

Reason is poor propaganda when opposed by the yammering, unceasing lies of shrewd and evil and self-serving men.
--Robert Heinlein
griffin is offline  
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Keeper of Venus & Serena
 
VSFan1 aka Joshua L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 26,687
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Nelson
I'm so gald that some here are comparing Germans to Nazis. HAHA that will really tick of the Germans. I love Pope Benedict even more now. Thanks for letting me know about this Torres.
The reason they are comparing him to Nazi's is because of his involvement with the Hitler youth movement.

You don't care anything about the Pope -- all you care about is that he is a thorn on the "other side." Issues don't matter to you.


Loves of my life....
Venus Ebone Starr Williams
Serena Jamica Williams
a lifelong and devoted fan since 1996

Official Life Coach of the Royal Court
VSFan1 aka Joshua L. is offline  
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Veelieve!!!
 
Infiniti2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 27,026
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin
I remember that.

It would smell less if he'd at least been consistant and tried to tell priests not to give communion to politicians who supported the death penalty. Or war.

Hypocrite.
Exactly!! He turns a blind eye to these politicians of other faiths, because they're not bound by Catholic doctrine. According to this holy man RAT, people can disagree about how to punish crime and war can be justified when you are attacked .

"I love the game, I love the thrill, I love the "Go Venus`."
"It takes a lot of work to get to this level, so while I can play I'm going to play."

Venus Ebone Starr Williams
Infiniti2001 is offline  
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2005, 03:18 PM
double-dog daredevil
 
griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: self-imposed exile
Posts: 12,049
                     
Forget other faiths - the Catholic Church has been trying to squeeze politicians here in Massachusetts over their support (or lack of opposition to) same-sex marriage and abortion. Either by making noise about not allowing them to take communion, or urging their congregations not to vote for them. But they've remained silent about Catholic pols who've been trying to reinstate the death penalty here. If they want to enforce doctrine fine, but enforce all of it. What they pick and choose is really telling.

Reason is poor propaganda when opposed by the yammering, unceasing lies of shrewd and evil and self-serving men.
--Robert Heinlein
griffin is offline  
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Veelieve!!!
 
Infiniti2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 27,026
 
I'm just fed up with all the hypocrisy. People really need to speak out

"I love the game, I love the thrill, I love the "Go Venus`."
"It takes a lot of work to get to this level, so while I can play I'm going to play."

Venus Ebone Starr Williams
Infiniti2001 is offline  
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,353
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
The reason they are comparing him to Nazi's is because of his involvement with the Hitler youth movement.

You don't care anything about the Pope -- all you care about is that he is a thorn on the "other side." Issues don't matter to you.
Oh I care deeply about issues. i'm an agnostic but i care about my Christian identity deeply and proudly consider myself a conservative even though I'm actually conservative on some issues and liberal on others.I also believe in the concept, 'eye for an eye' instead of the biblic 'turn the other cheek'. To me westerners have become a little soft since the student revolutions of the late 60s. i.e Vietnam war. The thing that i'm primarily outraged about is that nations like Britain allow extremism to flourish in their homeland such as in Finsbury Park. The primarily thing that annoys me is indeed religious extremism but not the one that WTA forums keep talking about. i'm talking about another religion but i'll let you guess which one I'm talking about.

Last edited by Lord Nelson; Apr 21st, 2005 at 07:50 PM.
Lord Nelson is offline  
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Justeenium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: I paid$$ to get unbanned
Posts: 1,733
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin
I remember that.

It would smell less if he'd at least been consistant and tried to tell priests not to give communion to politicians who supported the death penalty. Or war.

Hypocrite.

Why is the far right's anti-abortion pro death penalty stance hypocritical while the far left's pro-abortion anti death penalty stance not?
Justeenium is offline  
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2005, 07:23 PM
double-dog daredevil
 
griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: self-imposed exile
Posts: 12,049
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justeenium
Why is the far right's anti-abortion pro death penalty stance hypocritical while the far left's pro-abortion anti death penalty stance not?
I don't consider the far right hypocritical for being anti-abortion and pro-death penalty. (I consider them a lot of things, and hypocritical on a lot of things, but I do understand that particular split even if I disagree)

I consider the Roman Catholic Church hypocrites because they justify meddling with elections by claiming they are simply trying to enforce proper church doctrine when urging priests to deny communion to, and urge parishioners not to vote for Catholic pols who support (or do not oppose) marriage for same-sex couples and/or abortion, yet they make no similar efforts regarding the Church's position on the death penalty (or war, or...). They are clearly picking and chosing which Church doctrines matter, while denying that anyone else should be able to do the same. They say we cannot ignore the Church's teachings, yet they do it themselves.

Reason is poor propaganda when opposed by the yammering, unceasing lies of shrewd and evil and self-serving men.
--Robert Heinlein
griffin is offline  
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Shuji Shuriken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Planet Venus
Posts: 12,065
                     
Gosh Griff...i hate it when you delete my posts . You're still my number one queen bitch though . Can I ask a question though? Was it because I said dumb-fuck ?

Official Earl Of The Royal Court


Brandysan's Keeper

žžŸŸl[lŸŸžž

Venussan #1 Fan
Serenasan Warrior Princess

http://www.myspace.com/keimodarkheart
Shuji Shuriken is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome