Originally Posted by Lord Nelson
Non, now don't be so jealous. We will come to your funeral if we outlive you, don't worry
Seriously, I hate it when people say instead of Catholic church spending money on the funeral they could spend it on helping vicitims of the Tsunami etc.. In case you don't know, the Catholic church has contributed in helping victims of the tsunami. Have you by the way? I have not and don't intend to but you don't see me use that argument. You also don't seem to know much about European politics. Belgian politicians are secular not anti-religious. That's a vast difference. Belgian also is a Christian country as is the U.S. Roman Catholicism is a denomination of Christianism. In any case there were many non-Christian leaders and religious figures in attendance. He truly was a magnetic But don't worry, when the Dalai Lama dies they will go to his funeral too don't worry.
It's really amazing how people here can completely misinterpret things. They see one word and jump on it.
You are missing my point.
1) Where do I say that I am jealous? I am not jealous at all. I don't want to attend the funeral of the Pope.
2) I'm not saying the Church has not contributed to helping the victims of the tsunami. I did not say anything about that at all.
3) Whether I have given money for the victims of the tsunami is completely besides the point. For the record: yes, I did give money for them.
4) I am quite knowleadgeable about European and Belgian politics. As a matter of fact, I have a Bachelor's degree in Political Sciences and I happen to be a couple of exams and a thesis away from obtaining the Masters' Degree. But since I am consequently used to talk about politics in a scientific way, you won't get the widespread stereotypical ideas about politics from me.
5) Some Belgian politicians explicitly put themselves in the Christian pillar, there's even a party which name has "C" in it. Other parties do contain some people with strong anticlerical ideas, and the party of our Prime Minister is one of these parties, although the Prime Minister himself is moderate in this matter.
6) My post only expressed my surprise at seeing how all these important people absolutely wanted to be seen at this funeral.