Computer help needed - TennisForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2005, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,707
                     
Computer help needed

When I turn on my computer, it takes forever to load because too many programs open automatically. How can I cut down on the programs that open automatically so my computer speeds up a little.

Thanks in advance!!
MaRKy MaRk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2005, 08:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Zhao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 19,423
                     
issit possible tp upgrade your memory?? say 512MB ram??
maybe this will help??
Zhao is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2005, 08:41 AM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Ekkekko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 555
                     
Start > Programs > Startup
Remove those you don't want to start automatically.
Ekkekko is offline  
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2005, 08:43 AM
Senior Member
 
bw2082's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: right here
Posts: 6,753
                     
start>run > in the box type msconfig

press ok then tab over to the startup tab and uncheck what you don't want loading
bw2082 is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:54 PM
Senior Member
 
BritneySpearsIsHot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Detective Land
Posts: 13,210
                     
as bw2082 says

In reality, you only need Sys Tray.

Anything you are unsure of, keep running and if you wish ask here
BritneySpearsIsHot is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2005, 12:10 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
LostGlory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: *LostGlory*
Posts: 11,196
                     
Best thing like Yagim said Stop all programs starting up automatically except for a virus scan...get a spyware to clean up your computer and the registry -Adaware Professional is a good choice- get a cleaner and use it from time to time to clean up history and Junk - Ace Utilities is a good choice- and finally Defragment your computer once a week ......

Amelie - Marcos

You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh because you're all the same

I'm Back
LostGlory is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2005, 11:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: where my heart is
Posts: 3,920
                     
Simple advice - if you have a PC change OS from Windows to Linux, it's based on Unix making it a better and more stable choice, open source gives endless possibilities and most of all you get to choose which parts you want to upgrade whereas with Microsoft you can't, either you take the whole package and pay a lot of money or you're without.
Best advice - get a Mac. User friendly, Unix-based OS=1,000 more stable than Windows, open source, hardly any viruses, 99.9% hassle free...etc.
stenen is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2005, 11:13 PM
country flag pla
Senior Member
 
pla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 7,716
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by stenen
Simple advice - if you have a PC change OS from Windows to Linux, it's based on Unix making it a better and more stable choice, open source gives endless possibilities and most of all you get to choose which parts you want to upgrade whereas with Microsoft you can't, either you take the whole package and pay a lot of money or you're without.
Best advice - get a Mac. User friendly, Unix-based OS=1,000 more stable than Windows, open source, hardly any viruses, 99.9% hassle free...etc.
As a regular Linux user I completely understand your point of view but I doubt this particular system is perfect for persons not really interested in at least a bit of learning of how the OS works, how the computer works, some networking and things like this .

The Mac choise is nice but not cheap
pla is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2005, 11:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: where my heart is
Posts: 3,920
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by pla
As a regular Linux user I completely understand your point of view but I doubt this particular system is perfect for persons not really interested in at least a bit of learning of how the OS works, how the computer works, some networking and things like this .

The Mac choise is nice but not cheap
Mac being much more expensive is a myth. Today Macs cost approx 2-5% more than PCs with the same hardware standard. What I mean is that Macs have tiptop hardware inside and to get a PC with the same standard will cost you about the same. Then considering the amount of time and money a windows user have to spend with all problems this 2-5% price difference is nothing.

I agree with you about Linux. It's a little bit more complicated choice for an average Joe to get a hang of it but whoever is interested in computers it is definitely worth learning. In my PC I run both Linux and WindowsXP, guess which one of these runs more smoothly? However most of the time I use a Mac.

Last edited by stenen; Feb 1st, 2005 at 11:57 PM.
stenen is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 08:37 AM
country flag pla
Senior Member
 
pla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 7,716
                     
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenen
Mac being much more expensive is a myth. Today Macs cost approx 2-5% more than PCs with the same hardware standard. What I mean is that Macs have tiptop hardware inside and to get a PC with the same standard will cost you about the same. Then considering the amount of time and money a windows user have to spend with all problems this 2-5% price difference is nothing.
Well, if you look from this point of view- yes it's not that expensive. But that's only about the newest hardware. The PC hardware has a much bigger market and thus gives the opportunity to have older hardware for years without any problems of cheat supply . I have tons of computers at home and the workstations are PCs. They are old by the general public's point of view but I never had any problem about the replacement of any of it's components. This wasn't the case with the MACs we had at home. Anyways, it's not so important

Quote:
I agree with you about Linux. It's a little bit more complicated choice for an average Joe to get a hang of it but whoever is interested in computers it is definitely worth learning. In my PC I run both Linux and WindowsXP, guess which one of these runs more smoothly? However most of the time I use a Mac.
At home I have only one machine with MS products on it and it's a win2k - for the online banking. I got some nightmares when I understood that the my bank's online-banking doesn't work with Linux.
pla is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 09:35 AM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
LostGlory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: *LostGlory*
Posts: 11,196
                     
Marky asked a simple question and it seemed he is learning his way through in computers and you guys have confused the hell out of him...I dont think he is looking to buy a new PC or new OS, all he is looking for is to achieve the maximum efficiency of what he already has......

Amelie - Marcos

You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh because you're all the same

I'm Back
LostGlory is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 09:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: where my heart is
Posts: 3,920
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostGlory
Marky asked a simple question and it seemed he is learning his way through in computers and you guys have confused the hell out of him...I dont think he is looking to buy a new PC or new OS, all he is looking for is to achieve the maximum efficiency of what he already has......
If giving better options confuses the hell outta him then he's easily confused.
These options were more likely for the future reference, when and if he or anyone gets a new computer. And as for buying Linux, ; Unlike Windows, Linux is a free Unix-type operating system.

Last edited by stenen; Feb 2nd, 2005 at 10:00 AM.
stenen is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 10:30 AM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
LostGlory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: *LostGlory*
Posts: 11,196
                     
I felt from the coment and the question that Marky was thinking the very present of how to fix his problem....obviously he was not intrested in any future advices and as we all know very well, computer business and technology is something in the very present because things are changing by the minute and what applies today might not next week etc etc etc....anyway thx for the advice you made me go and look into the Linus proposal I might try it to see the difference....

Amelie - Marcos

You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh because you're all the same

I'm Back
LostGlory is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 10:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: where my heart is
Posts: 3,920
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostGlory
anyway thx for the advice you made me go and look into the Linus proposal I might try it to see the difference....
No worries.
Linux is for more advanced computer users because you'll have configurate it properly. If you're familiar with Unix based systems then I don't see any problems configurating it yourself but if not let someone do the job for you....first the you'll see the difference between a stable and unstable (read windows) operative system.
stenen is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 10:57 AM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
LostGlory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: *LostGlory*
Posts: 11,196
                     
I'm not very familiar right now, but I'm sure with the right research I will be by the weekend....if I need anything I will ask you, obviously you seem to know enough about the subject.

Amelie - Marcos

You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh because you're all the same

I'm Back
LostGlory is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome