2004: Infant Mortality increases in USA for 1st time in 40 years - TennisForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2004, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,251
                     
2004: Infant Mortality increases in USA for 1st time in 40 years

Excerpt. See link http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,137969,00.html for full article.

Quote:
.... infant mortality ticked upward in 2004 for the first time in 40 years. Rising poverty levels, less access to health insurance, and stagnant smoking rates appear to be playing a role, according to the report.
Seven of every 1,000 infants born in the U.S. now die before their first birthday, ranking the nation behind 27 other countries. More than 17 percent of American children now live in poverty, up 8 percent from the year before.

“It’s very clearly an issue of socioeconomic status,” says Georges Benjamin, MD, executive director of the American Public Health Association.
1) Thanks to Foxnews for the story

2) Of course, there's no real need for government action. It IS true that...
  • A system that provided free universal prenatal care and child care to age two would make a big dent in that statistic, could be implemented using local clinics, and would be far less expensive than say, Canada's single payer system.
  • An increase in the minumum wage, combined with sanctions against employers who use illegal aliens, would do a lot to lower the poverty rate, by increasing employment and earning among the poor.
  • Regulation of tobacco as a drug would do a lot to control recruitment of new smokers
But let's face it. Those would be solutions to a non-problem. There are too many poor people anyway. Infant mortality keeps their numbers from increasing.

Proud to be an American
Not blind. Not uninformed. We are party to atrocities. But the response of the world after 9/11 is worth noting. Even our most dire enemies offered aid. We should all be so lucky.
Volcana is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Europe
Posts: 6,097
                     
Some time ago, I saw a documentary on Belgian television about black single mothers living on an allowance in a town next to Bush's in Texas.
I saw black people in very bad houses and in poor circumstances so at first I thought this was a documentary about Africa. Then it dawned on me: these people were talking English and this bloody was not about a developing country but about the US of A!!!

One woman (with two kids) had to survive with 150 dollar a month . That must be more or less the equivalent of 150 euro. I don't dare to think how one should survive with such a little amount of money.

The reporter of Belgian TV asked the kids whether they had had breakfast that morning. They hadn't. Then she asked them if they were hungry. They were...

2000-2007: My "Kim years". My best years as a tennis fan. A few bitter losses but a lot of great matches and great wins. Thank you, Kim Clijsters!
26.03.2009: More Kim years to come!
Hagar is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Senior Member
 
decemberlove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: My sin, my soul.
Posts: 10,491
                     
oh, those evil illegal aliens... baby killers.


....This is fucked up, fucked up....

This is your blind spot, blind spot.
It should be obvious, but it's not.

You cannot kickstart a dead horse
You just crush yourself and walk away
I don't care what the future holds
Cause I'm right here in your arms today
With your fingers you can touch me

I'll be your black swan, black swan
I'm for spare parts, broken up.




decemberlove is offline  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2004, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,251
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar
Some time ago, I saw a documentary on Belgian television about black single mothers living on an allowance in a town next to Bush's in Texas.
I saw black people in very bad houses and in poor circumstances so at first I thought this was a documentary about Africa. Then it dawned on me: these people were talking English and this bloody was not about a developing country but about the US of A!!!

One woman (with two kids) had to survive with 150 dollar a month . That must be more or less the equivalent of 150 euro. I don't dare to think how one should survive with such a little amount of money.

The reporter of Belgian TV asked the kids whether they had had breakfast that morning. They hadn't. Then she asked them if they were hungry. They were...
There are a lot of options for alleviating that. The one I'd favor would be passing and enforcing laws against EMPLOYERS of illegal aliens. Then, one of those mothers could open a day care center in her home, which the other mothers would be able to pay to have their children attend by working the jobs that would be opened up when employers were forced to hire Americans.

The nice thing is, rather than costing the government money, it could eventually mean a tax CUT for everyone. Probably a small tax cut, but all those American workers would a) get off 'allowances', and b) pay payroll taxes.

Now, there are people who'd prefer we increase welfare payments, but I don't think that's politically feasible in the USA in 2004.

Proud to be an American
Not blind. Not uninformed. We are party to atrocities. But the response of the world after 9/11 is worth noting. Even our most dire enemies offered aid. We should all be so lucky.
Volcana is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Bacardi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Raccoon City's Hive
Posts: 14,737
                     
Why does this remind me of that movie Omen III?

Remember in the part where he was killing off children born on a certain date, to rid the world of the "God Child"? Seems strange to me.

I'm BACK & SINGLE. So lock up all the hotties!
Bacardi is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Senior Member
 
faboozadoo15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: united states
Posts: 21,865
                     
thanks, unnecessary malpractice suits... what a great thing they are
thanks, edwards.
a little weird that's not mentioned.
faboozadoo15 is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Senior Member
 
decemberlove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: My sin, my soul.
Posts: 10,491
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana
There are a lot of options for alleviating that. The one I'd favor would be passing and enforcing laws against EMPLOYERS of illegal aliens. Then, one of those mothers could open a day care center in her home, which the other mothers would be able to pay to have their children attend by working the jobs that would be opened up when employers were forced to hire Americans.
tell me, where exactly did this disdain for illegal aliens come from?

a poor woman can't just open up a day care center... unless its an ILLEGAL operation. there are lots of things one needs to do beforehand: zoning, licensing [which means classes], infant & child CPR and first aid certification [more classes], insurance, taxes... considering the woman will be self-employed, she will have to worry about taxes, which means she ether needs to know about bookkeeping, or hire a bookkeeper to do it for her. after all this is done, the home must be inspected by the state. something tells me that a poor woman won't have the resources for all of this or a house suitable for a proper day care center.

so, stop trying to place the blame on other people by skimming over the surface. the core issue is that people don't want to take responsibility for their actions. work your ass off in school, go to a commnity college, and work your way up. or go to your local clinic and spend $5 a month for birth control pills or get condoms for free... stop having children if you can barely provide for yourself. there ARE options.

your solutions just lead to the whole "woe is me" mindset... it's self-defeating... making excuses and blaming problems on others. that's the last thing poor people need.

wishful thinking, but what would really help increase the morale of the poor is to put some money into their high schools... to even the playing field a bit. give them hope. show them that hard work can pay off.


....This is fucked up, fucked up....

This is your blind spot, blind spot.
It should be obvious, but it's not.

You cannot kickstart a dead horse
You just crush yourself and walk away
I don't care what the future holds
Cause I'm right here in your arms today
With your fingers you can touch me

I'll be your black swan, black swan
I'm for spare parts, broken up.




decemberlove is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2004, 10:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Crazy Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Munchkin Land
Posts: 28,454
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by decemberlove
oh, those evil illegal aliens... baby killers.
Ha. And here we were worried about them just stealing cars!
Crazy Canuck is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2004, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,251
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by decemberlove
oh, those evil illegal aliens... baby killers.
No. That would be the Americans who hire them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by decemberlove
tell me, where exactly did this disdain for illegal aliens come from?
I have no disdain for illegal aliens. I'm not in favor of closing the borders. My problem is with people HIRE illegal aliens rather than Americans. anybody who's willing to travel over a thousand miles of rough terrain to take a job NO AMERICAN WANTS I'm happy to have here. I just want to take care of the Americans first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by decemberlove
a poor woman can't just open up a day care center... unless its an ILLEGAL operation. there are lots of things one needs to do beforehand: zoning, licensing [which means classes], infant & child CPR and first aid certification [more classes], insurance, taxes... considering the woman will be self-employed, she will have to worry about taxes, which means she ether needs to know about bookkeeping, or hire a bookkeeper to do it for her. after all this is done, the home must be inspected by the state. something tells me that a poor woman won't have the resources for all of this or a house suitable for a proper day care center.
First of all, the requirements for opening a day care center vary from state to state. Second, you CHOOSE to believe the poor aren't capable. I don't. I choose to believe that the poor, who by and large work hard, are perfectly capable of that of doingthe things given the opportunity. Especially since there are outfits like SCORE (Senior Core of Retired Executives) ALREADY IN EXISTENCE who specifically help people set up small businesses like that. There's ALREADY a Small Business Administration to help people with business plans. It's far cheaper to associate that new day care center with a health clinic, and provide preventive care, than it is to use the current health care of last resort for the poor, which is emergency rooms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by decemberlove
so, stop trying to place the blame on other people by skimming over the surface. the core issue is that people don't want to take responsibility for their actions.
Hey, I'm offering a solution that IN ACCORDANCE WITH CURRENT LAW. All I'm suggesting is that current law, which says hiring illegal aliens is in and of itself illegal, be enforced. The poor aren't lazy. Those poor women WILL work hard, given the chance to work at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by decemberlove
your solutions just lead to the whole "woe is me" mindset... it's self-defeating... making excuses and blaming problems on others. that's the last thing poor people need.
Wait a minute. Having the poor WORK instead of being on the dole leads to a 'woe is me' mindset? What planet are you from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by decemberlove
wishful thinking, but what would really help increase the morale of the poor is to put some money into their high schools... to even the playing field a bit. give them hope. show them that hard work can pay off.
Hey, we actually agree on something, including the fact that it's wishful thinking.

Proud to be an American
Not blind. Not uninformed. We are party to atrocities. But the response of the world after 9/11 is worth noting. Even our most dire enemies offered aid. We should all be so lucky.
Volcana is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2004, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,251
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by faboozadoo15
thanks, unnecessary malpractice suits... a little weird that's not mentioned.
Why? It has nothing to do with an increase in infant mortality. Did you read the whole article?

Proud to be an American
Not blind. Not uninformed. We are party to atrocities. But the response of the world after 9/11 is worth noting. Even our most dire enemies offered aid. We should all be so lucky.
Volcana is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 377
                     
NOT GOOD FOR BABY. Babies have no defense and we must defend them and look after them not put our ideals onto them, just keep baby alive. Oink.
Cuckoo is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2004, 07:41 AM
Senior Member
 
faboozadoo15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: united states
Posts: 21,865
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana
Why? It has nothing to do with an increase in infant mortality. Did you read the whole article?
you're foolish if you don't think frivolous lawsuits are raising the infant mortality rate.

here's how it goes.
endless lawsuits against omgyn's
settle out of court
insurance to practice skyrockets in some states
doctors are driven out of the states where they can't afford to practice.
people are having their babies delivered by people who have little business doing so
faboozadoo15 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome