Presidential elections in the USA: how does it work? - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2004, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Europe
Posts: 6,097
                     
Presidential elections in the USA: how does it work?

Can someone explain me how exactly one can vote for the presidential elections in the USA?
I am asking this because I don't understand this voter registration system. Do you already have to indicate your preference when you register? But isn't an election anonymous (no one knows who you vote for)?

2000-2007: My "Kim years". My best years as a tennis fan. A few bitter losses but a lot of great matches and great wins. Thank you, Kim Clijsters!
26.03.2009: More Kim years to come!
Hagar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Moderator - BFTP
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 20,680
                     
It's a bit of a mess from a European viewpoint Hagar-because each state more or less makes it's own rules. The actual vote is private. Some states ask you to indicate a party when you register, some don't.
Rollo is offline  
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Crazy Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Munchkin Land
Posts: 28,455
                     
It makes no sense to me either, and I'm not even that far removed
Crazy Canuck is offline  
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Calvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 843
                     


As far as elections go, the US could learn a lot from so-called "developing" countries. Maybe a simple finger-dipping-in-black-ink system would remove all current problems with registrated voters?

Goodbye Kim C
Hello Tamaryn H

Calvin is offline  
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2004, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Europe
Posts: 6,097
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
It's a bit of a mess from a European viewpoint Hagar-because each state more or less makes it's own rules. The actual vote is private. Some states ask you to indicate a party when you register, some don't.
Well, that's kind of shocking to hear: your vote should be known to no one else but yourself.
Plus, if you have to admit what party you belong to when you register, it's an open invitation for fraud, as seems to happen now.

2000-2007: My "Kim years". My best years as a tennis fan. A few bitter losses but a lot of great matches and great wins. Thank you, Kim Clijsters!
26.03.2009: More Kim years to come!
Hagar is offline  
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Under Carlos Moya
Posts: 4,919
                     
Come on guys, it's really simple: the person with the most votes loses! They call it dumb-ocracy

Traits Gandhi considered the most spiritually perilous to humanity.
*Wealth without Work * Pleasure without Conscience

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline  
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Beware Of The Dog, Bitch.
 
!<blocparty>!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: LAX, JFK & LHR.
Posts: 21,942
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T
Come on guys, it's really simple: the person with the most votes loses! They call it dumb-ocracy


Women's tennis sucks.
~


Go Rafa.

!<blocparty>! is offline  
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Keeper of Venus & Serena
 
VSFan1 aka Joshua L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 26,693
                     
Ok, here is the deal.

You have to register within the state you reside. Some states require registration by "party" (usually Democratic, Republican, or Independent, but some parties have access in a few states, like Greens, Socialists, Libertarians, Constitution, etc.).

When you vote in a GENERAL ELECTION, it does not matter what party you belong to. If it was a PRIMARY ELECTION, you could only vote in the primary of that party you are registered to.



To vote on Nov. 2nd, some states required you have your paperwork turned in a month before the elction, but some states - like Minnesota - say that you can register to vote the day of the election. It just depends.


Does that make sense?


(if it does, then this part will certainly not make sense

Now, when voting for president, you are not actually voting for "John Kerry" or "George Bush" but you are voting for a slate of ELECTORS (there are 538 of them) who will then, in turn, vote for your guy. Now, the ELECTORS are not always honest. For example, in 2000, the final ELECTORAL vote should have been 272 Bush - 267 Gore. BUT, one ELECTOR didn't vote for Gore (I think they abstained), so it was 272 - 266 officially. Make sense?


Loves of my life....
Venus Ebone Starr Williams
Serena Jamica Williams
a lifelong and devoted fan since 1996

Official Life Coach of the Royal Court
VSFan1 aka Joshua L. is offline  
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2004, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Europe
Posts: 6,097
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Ok, here is the deal.

You have to register within the state you reside. Some states require registration by "party" (usually Democratic, Republican, or Independent, but some parties have access in a few states, like Greens, Socialists, Libertarians, Constitution, etc.).

When you vote in a GENERAL ELECTION, it does not matter what party you belong to. If it was a PRIMARY ELECTION, you could only vote in the primary of that party you are registered to.



To vote on Nov. 2nd, some states required you have your paperwork turned in a month before the elction, but some states - like Minnesota - say that you can register to vote the day of the election. It just depends.


Does that make sense?


(if it does, then this part will certainly not make sense

Now, when voting for president, you are not actually voting for "John Kerry" or "George Bush" but you are voting for a slate of ELECTORS (there are 538 of them) who will then, in turn, vote for your guy. Now, the ELECTORS are not always honest. For example, in 2000, the final ELECTORAL vote should have been 272 Bush - 267 Gore. BUT, one ELECTOR didn't vote for Gore (I think they abstained), so it was 272 - 266 officially. Make sense?
Thanks for this explanation. I know it is an indirect vote and that you vote for the ones that can vote for the president.
But so what do you guys find on the paper you vote on? The name of several electors, one for each party (that would make it 2 in most cases I presume)?

It still does not make sense at all that for the presidential elections, you should confess your colour the moment you register, because you can still switch to the other side once you are in the voting booth. Is that right?

2000-2007: My "Kim years". My best years as a tennis fan. A few bitter losses but a lot of great matches and great wins. Thank you, Kim Clijsters!
26.03.2009: More Kim years to come!
Hagar is offline  
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2004, 04:35 PM
The hottest straight, goth rocker on the board
Admin Emeritus
 
The Crow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Belgium
Posts: 33,189
                     
And then they are surprised many people do not vote?

If only I was sure that my head on the door was a dream
The Crow is offline  
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 8,260
                     
why don't they make it the one who have the most votes win, whata re their reason of not taking the most logic and common sense approach, surely the one who is voted by more people should be president not like the scam and injustice which happen in 2000?

FWTT
-Oldest game in wtaboard, started in April 2000 even before wtaworld is born.
-You can create your own player, making their own name, making their personality.
-Some player has been playing for more than 10 years


visit this thread for more detail
http://www.tennisforum.com/76-fwtt/397111-2011-official-fwtt-information-thread-new-players-enter-here.html
wongqks is offline  
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Senior Member
 
kabuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In denial
Posts: 6,176
                     
It doesn't.
kabuki is offline  
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Senior Member
 
martirogi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,542
                     
the electoral college started when the united states was first founded, each state got a certain number of votes so that the candidates would go to the smaller states and not just campaign in the big cities, makes sense if you look at it that way

♥ Number ONE in my heart ♥
2004-2006 MYSKINA
2006-2011 JANKOVIC
2011- KVITOVA???


Honorable Mention: GOLOVIN, SAFAROVA, CIRSTEA
martirogi is offline  
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Senior Member
 
kiwifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 9,737
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by wongqks
why don't they make it the one who have the most votes win, whata re their reason of not taking the most logic and common sense approach, surely the one who is voted by more people should be president not like the scam and injustice which happen in 2000?
Then National Candidates would ignore most of the country (their issues, their opinions, etc.) because some states have so many more people than others.

I haven't checked a census but I'd imagine my state CA's population is large enough to cancel out at least 10 states in the middle of the country.

Little States would be ignored. If you think the enviornment, farmers, etc get little attention now, it would a tyranny of the City dwellers without the current system.

It has its flaws but I like the Electoral College system.
kiwifan is offline  
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
esquímaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 釜を掘&
Posts: 15,247
                     
I vote for someone, they vote for someone else.

"誰も私を止める停が出来なかったか"
- Jinpachi Mishima
- Jedah Douma
"恐れてはいけない. 私は最初であり, 最後である"
esquímaux is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome