Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 340 - TennisForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #5086 of 5196 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2013, 05:18 AM
Senior Member
 
goldenlox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: cyberspace
Posts: 97,975
                     
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Something is very wrong. She went from consistently good to consistently weak.
The disturbing part is that there are no positive changes.
Right now is as bad as ever. Hardcourt, racket, draw, nothing matters anymore.
She doesnt get thru draws. She used to almost always get deep into draws.

She should have been dealing with this since early 2012.
Her game is weak in every aspect now.
The only new thing we've seen since she was a good player is Rory.

So, I dont think its wild to say this relationship has been terrible for her game.
She should have had a full time coach a long time ago. What is she waiting for?

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter....
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
Enjoy This Moment!!
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5087 of 5196 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2013, 05:31 AM
Senior Member
 
goldenlox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: cyberspace
Posts: 97,975
                     
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Although the credit/blame for whatever she's doing is on Caro.
But having Rory around has coincided with her career going into the sewer.
The level of play on the tour isnt good. I dont buy that everyone improved or figured her out.
She's gotten a lot worse. She used to beat Pennetta all the time, and Flavia at age 31 is in the semis from her quarter

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter....
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
Enjoy This Moment!!
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline  
post #5088 of 5196 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2013, 05:37 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Chrissie-fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 13,788
                     
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Something is very wrong. She went from consistently good to consistently weak.
The disturbing part is that there are no positive changes.
Right now is as bad as ever. Hardcourt, racket, draw, nothing matters anymore.
She doesnt get thru draws. She used to almost always get deep into draws.

She should have been dealing with this since early 2012.
Her game is weak in every aspect now.
The only new thing we've seen since she was a good player is Rory.

So, I dont think its wild to say this relationship has been terrible for her game.
She should have had a full time coach a long time ago. What is she waiting for?
Well, I already said 18 months ago that it was high time to take action and that it might already be too late in fact. But I hardly think we can blame Rory for her coaching situation. And yes, IF she's serious about getting a new coach, what is she waiting for? The time to do it is NOW. In fact the time to do it was two years ago. If he would want to make some changes to Caro's game it will take some time (and probably a long time) before she feels comfortable with them. She may as well start now or she will waste most of 2014 as well while she's experimenting and trying out new things. Not that I expect anything drastic though. Instead of trying to rebuild Caro from the ground up I expect him to try and improve Caro's game the way it is 1% at the time.

Chrissie-fan is offline  
post #5089 of 5196 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Senior Member
 
goldenlox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: cyberspace
Posts: 97,975
                     
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Well, I already said 18 months ago that it was high time to take action and that it might already be too late in fact. But I hardly think we can blame Rory for her coaching situation. And yes, IF she's serious about getting a new coach, what is she waiting for? The time to do it is NOW. In fact the time to do it was two years ago. If he would want to make some changes to Caro's game it will take some time (and probably a long time) before she feels comfortable with them. She may as well start now or she will waste most of 2014 as well while she's experimenting and trying out new things. Not that I expect anything drastic though. Instead of trying to rebuild Caro from the ground up I expect him to try and improve Caro's game the way it is 1% at the time.
its a tough situation because she is trying hard, but her game is getting worse.
My 2 possible reasons for the decline were: 1 - lack of motivation once she lost #1, or 2 - trying to be more aggressive on her forehand side and making too many errors.
But this last match her forehand broke down without trying to be aggressive and she was trying very hard. So maybe its just her game is getting worse.
That would mean, what? Hire a coach and hope he can turn things around, or make changes and hope they work.
Either way, its already 2 years gone by and her last match devolved into one of the worst I've seen her play.

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter....
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
Enjoy This Moment!!
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline  
post #5090 of 5196 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2013, 07:14 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Chrissie-fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 13,788
                     
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
its a tough situation because she is trying hard, but her game is getting worse.
My 2 possible reasons for the decline were: 1 - lack of motivation once she lost #1, or 2 - trying to be more aggressive on her forehand side and making too many errors.
But this last match her forehand broke down without trying to be aggressive and she was trying very hard. So maybe its just her game is getting worse.
That would mean, what? Hire a coach and hope he can turn things around, or make changes and hope they work.
Either way, its already 2 years gone by and her last match devolved into one of the worst I've seen her play.
I think it's 2 because she started slapping her forehand while she was still number one. She let the critics get to her who said she would never win a major with her defensive game. By the time she had figured out that her forehand would never be the weapon she had wanted it to be she had lost all confidence in the stroke and struggled with it eversince.

Just guessing of course, but that's the way it COULD be.

Chrissie-fan is offline  
post #5091 of 5196 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2013, 08:03 PM
Senior Member
 
goldenlox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: cyberspace
Posts: 97,975
                     
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

I dont know why Caroline's game went backwards, but a lot of players also regressed.
This summer, whether its Wimbledon or Cibulkova winning a title or Cirstea in a premier 5 final, or Pennetta in US Open semis, there are a lot of open draws.
Part of it is players like Wozniacki playing such weak tennis. Errani, Kvitova also. Kerber also. Many others

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter....
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
Enjoy This Moment!!
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline  
post #5092 of 5196 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2013, 01:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,219
                     
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I think it's 2 because she started slapping her forehand while she was still number one. She let the critics get to her who said she would never win a major with her defensive game. By the time she had figured out that her forehand would never be the weapon she had wanted it to be she had lost all confidence in the stroke and struggled with it eversince.

Just guessing of course, but that's the way it COULD be.
And she switched to a raquet built for more spin at the same time...

Personnaly I see lots of positives recently. I have no doubts she will regain some stability and start winning tournaments again. I'd be blind not to.

I lost a lot of respect for the idiots criticising her power back in the day... A look at her us Open 2010 vs Shugarova, she was painting the basline and going toe to toe. It was aparant then that a lot of fools just didn't understand the strengths of her game and it's simple beauty. Kind of like the 'Moneyball' game of the time, vindicated by the frequency she got to first base.

"In time we hate that which we often fear." WS
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.” Plato
Burisleif is offline  
post #5093 of 5196 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Senior Member
 
goldenlox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: cyberspace
Posts: 97,975
                     
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

To me, the criticism never meant anything.
At her level of winning, where you are #1 by 3000 points and holding 9 titles, people expect you to win the biggest titles also.
So naturally there is some criticism when you are #1 for 2 years or so and have not won a major.
You tell the media you are 21 and trying to win majors, but everyone can see the days of teens dominating majors is over

But those days are long gone. #1 seems like some dream now. Its amazing she was ever there. Very similar to jankovic and Ivanovic. 3 of them cant win any title and always underachieve at majors now

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter....
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
Enjoy This Moment!!
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline  
post #5094 of 5196 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2013, 10:51 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Chrissie-fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 13,788
                     
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
And she switched to a raquet built for more spin at the same time...

Personnaly I see lots of positives recently. I have no doubts she will regain some stability and start winning tournaments again. I'd be blind not to.

I lost a lot of respect for the idiots criticising her power back in the day... A look at her us Open 2010 vs Shugarova, she was painting the basline and going toe to toe. It was aparant then that a lot of fools just didn't understand the strengths of her game and it's simple beauty. Kind of like the 'Moneyball' game of the time, vindicated by the frequency she got to first base.
But unfortunately Caroline took them seriously. And it's easy enough to understand why she must have started having some doubts about her game. Not because of what some fruitcakes were saying on tennis forums like this one or the social media. But when all time greats such as Navratilova, Evert, Hingis, Davenport and so on all join in saying basically the same things it's only normal that she must have thought, "maybe they have a point." But you've got to work with what you've got. She will never have Serena's serve, Graf's forehand or Navratilova's volleying skills. But if she had stayed true to herself and continued to do what she does well chances are that that slam title would have come eventually. She's won premier mandatorys and premier 5's. If you can win those you can also win a major because despite what anyone might say a slam is just a premier mandatory that is played before a bigger audience - same opponents, same best of three sets format. Naysayers will say that the pressure at slams is bigger. Ok, well, that's to Caroline's advantage because 2009-2011 Caro was mentally one of the toughest cookies out there. Naysayers will say that players try harder at slams. BS - which player would think "I better tank here because it's "only" Indian Wells"?

Chrissie-fan is offline  
post #5095 of 5196 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Senior Member
 
goldenlox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: cyberspace
Posts: 97,975
                     
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Petra Kvitova had the other kind of pressure. After she won a major, some commentators said she could win 10 of them. That she's the next superstar Thats just more prattle.

The players shouldn't be paying attention to any of it.
If you are fortunate to be successful, you try to keep being successful.
Both Caroline & Petra have failed at that. Most players who have short term success dont stay at the top.
But criticism or huge expectations is not an excuse. Its nothing. Comes with success & fame

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter....
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
Enjoy This Moment!!
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline  
post #5096 of 5196 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Senior Member
 
ozza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,578
                     
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
But unfortunately Caroline took them seriously. And it's easy enough to understand why she must have started having some doubts about her game. Not because of what some fruitcakes were saying on tennis forums like this one or the social media. But when all time greats such as Navratilova, Evert, Hingis, Davenport and so on all join in saying basically the same things it's only normal that she must have thought, "maybe they have a point." But you've got to work with what you've got. She will never have Serena's serve, Graf's forehand or Navratilova's volleying skills. But if she had stayed true to herself and continued to do what she does well chances are that that slam title would have come eventually. She's won premier mandatorys and premier 5's. If you can win those you can also win a major because despite what anyone might say a slam is just a premier mandatory that is played before a bigger audience - same opponents, same best of three sets format. Naysayers will say that the pressure at slams is bigger. Ok, well, that's to Caroline's advantage because 2009-2011 Caro was mentally one of the toughest cookies out there. Naysayers will say that players try harder at slams. BS - which player would think "I better tank here because it's "only" Indian Wells"?
It's not so much tanking. It's about being in prime condition. A lot of top players will go into the big tour events under prepared, not put in full effort, there are countless examples of this. There is a lot of aiming to peak at grand slams. They might go into a Tier I with only a week or two's practice (the calendar lends itself to this), they'd never do that at a grand slam unless they had been injured. A lot of tier I's are back to back too, which leads itself to even more not applying full effort tactics. The top players are also a lot more likely to withdraw from a tour event as a precaution etc., so you get a lot more depleted, open draws than you would get at a major.

The pressure is a different kind of pressure. You don't really have much inbuilt pressure in a Tier I of this would change my career. Yet you see countless mental meltdowns at the latter end of majors where the pressure become too much. In fact you just saw one last major. Caro had this even worse too, because she couldn't avoid the question of "when are you going to win a major?" That's the question the entire world media continually asked her, so it's always going to be playing on your mind. We've seen this question get to many over recent years. This is the shortfall of being number 1, just because Radwanska is number 4, means she gets a whole lot less questions and spotlight. But even then she falls into the same boat of struggles a lot to bring her best tennis to a grand slam. It's tough for these players because the media are never satisfied, they always want to know how you can go one better.
ozza is offline  
post #5097 of 5196 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 99
                     
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Caro oh Caro, she puts more time dating Rory… We all know that if we don’t put any dedication with what you do; you will never achieve what you are aiming for especially when it comes to tennis. It requires 101% hard work and commitment. I truly love Caro because basically I support the underdogs and players being underestimated by the media. But as the matches goes by I lose my desire and hope for her. Now, I am more interested of the oldies (Li Na, Penetta, Hantuchova) they are such a good role model. They always strive so hard to improve. Unlike Caro…she’s busier with her love life and so COMPLACENT WITH HER VERY POOR FORM. VERY POOR.. SOOOO POOR…UNDENIABLY POOR GAME…I am starting to believe the bashers and critics of Caro…She will never win a Grand Slam.
James_Hingis is offline  
post #5098 of 5196 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Senior Member
 
goldenlox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: cyberspace
Posts: 97,975
                     
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Hingis View Post
…I am starting to believe the bashers and critics of Caro…She will never win a Grand Slam.
Yeah, her level of play and not having the ability to close out matches makes it look like she will never win a major.

Its too bad, because draws are wide open.
Vika just played Ivanovic, Hantuchova, Pennetta. This was the first time Ana won a set at a major aginst a top 10 player in years, or some stat similar to that.
Dani couldnt win a round 1 match at several majors. Flavia had never been to semi before.
This could be a draw at any Tier III. If that was Caro's draw to the Lux final, it would be average for a Tier III
Same with Bartoli at the last major: Knapp, Stephens, Flipkens. If Vesnina beat those 3 at Hobart, no one would think twice about it.

But you still have to get thru draws. If you fold against qualifiers, you are far away from contention. Caro could not win a title all year. And if she beat q, Scheepers, q, those 3 wins wuld tie for her 2nd best tournament all year. She won 4 matches once all year

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter....
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
Enjoy This Moment!!
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline  
post #5099 of 5196 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2013, 04:23 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Chrissie-fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 13,788
                     
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Hingis View Post
Caro oh Caro, she puts more time dating Rory… We all know that if we don’t put any dedication with what you do; you will never achieve what you are aiming for especially when it comes to tennis. It requires 101% hard work and commitment. I truly love Caro because basically I support the underdogs and players being underestimated by the media. But as the matches goes by I lose my desire and hope for her. Now, I am more interested of the oldies (Li Na, Penetta, Hantuchova) they are such a good role model. They always strive so hard to improve. Unlike Caro…she’s busier with her love life and so COMPLACENT WITH HER VERY POOR FORM. VERY POOR.. SOOOO POOR…UNDENIABLY POOR GAME…I am starting to believe the bashers and critics of Caro…She will never win a Grand Slam.
I never took it for granted that she would win a slam even when she was #1. But you seem to think that she's not even trying or working hard. Just look a her body. She's in great shape. You don't get too look like that if you don't put in the work. And if you can root for Penetta and Hantuchova you can also root for Caro because I don't think it's very likely that they will win a slam either. As for her dating Rory, well, she's a young woman and she's in love. Nothing wrong with that. If she was dating Rory Smith instead of Rory McIllroy nobody would have a problem with it.

Chrissie-fan is offline  
post #5100 of 5196 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2013, 04:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Trey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,269
                     
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

I really can't wait too find out who they planned to pick to replace her father as her new coach

S. Williams (22) ♦ V. Williams (7) ♦ Vika (2) ♦ Kvitová (2) ♦ Kerber (2) ♦ Muguruza (1) ♦ Ivanovic (1) ♦
C. Wozniacki ♦ A. Radwanska ♦ S. Halep ♦ B. Bencic ♦ S. Stephens ♦ M. Keys ♦ Domi Cibulkova ♦ G. Bouchard ♦ L. Robson ♦ N. Osaka ♦ J. Ostapenko ♦ A. Konjuh ♦ D. Vekic ♦ M. Puig ♦ V. Duval ♦ T. Townsend ♦ L. Chirico ♦ F. Abanda ♦ S. Samir ♦ F. Stollár ♦ T. Andrianjafitrimo
Trey is online now  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome