Music Thread - Page 8 - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #106 of 169 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Senior Member
 
DownInAHole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8,182
                     
Re: Music Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Interesting release for sure. But I think I have the 'stones live' section of my record collection covered. Cd's, dvd's - it almost seems like the Stones release a new live album or video every couple of months. I would rather see them working on a new studio album than selling us yet another live album with Jumpin' Jack Flash and Satisfaction.
I completely understand your point. They have released plenty of live albums but most of them have been well after their prime. There is a huge difference between hearing them as hungry, young and vital musicians as opposed to hearing them today. This one is very much when they were at or near their peak and all of the tracks are from 1968-1973. It does feature "Jumpin' Jack Flash" but there is no "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" to be found. Also, did I mention that Mick Taylor is featured? Mick Taylor!

Somewhat ironically a few of those live albums you mentioned arrived in the post today (Still Life, Stripped and No Security). I found them cheap and thought that it was time to plug the holes in my Rolling Stones collection.

Don't get on the scale if U ain't got the weight
It's more hard to love than it is to hate


Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #107 of 169 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2013, 04:16 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Chrissie-fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 13,788
                     
Re: Music Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
I completely understand your point. They have released plenty of live albums but most of them have been well after their prime. There is a huge difference between hearing them as hungry, young and vital musicians as opposed to hearing them today. This one is very much when they were at or near their peak and all of the tracks are from 1968-1973. It does feature "Jumpin' Jack Flash" but there is no "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" to be found. Also, did I mention that Mick Taylor is featured? Mick Taylor!

Somewhat ironically a few of those live albums you mentioned arrived in the post today (Still Life, Stripped and No Security). I found them cheap and thought that it was time to plug the holes in my Rolling Stones collection.
"Stripped" is the best of those by far. The other two are routine Stones live albums. Not bad of course, but not outstanding either.

Chrissie-fan is offline  
post #108 of 169 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Senior Member
 
DownInAHole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8,182
                     
Re: Music Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
"Stripped" is the best of those by far. The other two are routine Stones live albums. Not bad of course, but not outstanding either.
Just judging by the tracklisting No Security is certainly not a typical "greatest hits live" disc. If anything the tracklist may be a bit too idiosyncratic.

Did you splurge on the deluxe Charlie Is My Darling release? I am mighty tempted but that sucker ain't cheap!

Don't get on the scale if U ain't got the weight
It's more hard to love than it is to hate


Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline  
post #109 of 169 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2013, 09:14 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Chrissie-fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 13,788
                     
Re: Music Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
Just judging by the tracklisting No Security is certainly not a typical "greatest hits live" disc. If anything the tracklist may be a bit too idiosyncratic.

Did you splurge on the deluxe Charlie Is My Darling release? I am mighty tempted but that sucker ain't cheap!
No, I can't say that I have. But so much money for a box set of live recordings from 1965? I'm not sure. You probably can't hear half of it because of the screaming girls. It's probably a bit like Got Live if you Want It!, their first live album. Good as a historical document, but not prime Stones - at least not as a live band. But the movie might make it worth it.

I have a slight preference for No Security over Still Life because of it's idiosyncratic track list myself. As I said earlier, how many recordings of Jumpin Jack Flash, Honky Tonk Women or Satisfaction does one person need?

Chrissie-fan is offline  
post #110 of 169 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2013, 10:40 PM
Senior Member
 
DownInAHole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8,182
                     
Re: Music Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
No, I can't say that I have. But so much money for a box set of live recordings from 1965? I'm not sure. You probably can't hear half of it because of the screaming girls. It's probably a bit like Got Live if you Want It!, their first live album. Good as a historical document, but not prime Stones - at least not as a live band. But the movie might make it worth it.

I have a slight preference for No Security over Still Life because of it's idiosyncratic track list myself. As I said earlier, how many recordings of Jumpin Jack Flash, Honky Tonk Women or Satisfaction does one person need?
Well, the DVD is available separately for what I consider a fair price. I'm just such a sucker for those lavish box sets with the unnecessary/useless "extras." I did manage to score the deluxe box set of the Ladies and Gentlemen: The Rolling Stones DVD and I am now the very proud owner of a Rolling Stones scarf. It is getting pretty crazy though, they are absolutely inundating us with releases over the last few years.

Oh, I agree that it is great to have some "rare" tracks performed over the same old warhorses but I would have picked a completely different tracklist. Still, No Security is probably the last live album that they will release with such a "strange" set of songs.

Okay, you said you were a big Bob Dylan fan and if you are buying live Rolling Stones albums you must be a big fan of them also but who else do you really dig? I think that I am roughly half your age but we seem to have somewhat similar tastes.

Don't get on the scale if U ain't got the weight
It's more hard to love than it is to hate


Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline  
post #111 of 169 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2013, 11:47 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Chrissie-fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 13,788
                     
Re: Music Thread

^^
I'm into lots of stuff. Most of the things you would expect from someone who likes artists like the Stones and Dylan, but also jazz and classical music (including opera).

Chrissie-fan is offline  
post #112 of 169 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2013, 12:12 AM
Senior Member
 
DownInAHole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8,182
                     
Re: Music Thread

I have recently come to the realisation that this is the Greatest Song Ever:

Don't get on the scale if U ain't got the weight
It's more hard to love than it is to hate


Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline  
post #113 of 169 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2013, 11:29 PM
Senior Member
 
KleineBiere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Berlin
Posts: 2,547
                     
Re: Music Thread

congrats to denmark

"Maintain the integrity of tennis"
KleineBiere is offline  
post #114 of 169 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2013, 11:51 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Hoergren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 390
                     
Re: Music Thread

Let's celebrate with Denmark - here is the song that won the European Song Contest 2013 - tonight:

Hoergren is offline  
post #115 of 169 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London
Posts: 7,720
                     
Re: Music Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleineBiere View Post
congrats to denmark
Must be her lucky panties .. (I swear. I am not making it up. Among the ... literally 5-10 daily immaterial articles over the last 2-3 weeks, one article was about her wearing her lucky panties. I only saw a headline, so I cannot elaborate ).

Anyone old enough to remember Carola?


SUNSHINE

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1

Last edited by TennisFan66; May 19th, 2013 at 12:01 AM.
TennisFan66 is offline  
post #116 of 169 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Good Luck Caro in 2016!
 
Jorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Denmark
Posts: 156,095
                     
Re: Music Thread

Tillykke Danmark!

Please visit my Caroline website.

Caroline Wozniacki Result page
Jorn is offline  
post #117 of 169 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Senior Member
 
angliru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,659
                     
Re: Music Thread

Wow. A Danish favourite actually wins an event?

WD, Emmelie.
angliru is offline  
post #118 of 169 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2013, 12:02 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Chrissie-fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 13,788
                     
Re: Music Thread

Forget about Che Guevara, Messi, Maradonna, Evita, Sabatini, Vilas, delPotro or Piazzolla. For me the greatest Argentinian ever is the exceptional piano goddess, the one and only Martha Argerich.








Chrissie-fan is offline  
post #119 of 169 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Senior Member
 
angliru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,659
                     
Re: Music Thread

Martha Argerich, wow. I didn't expect to see her name in a thread here. I really like her Rachmaninov 3rd. She's such a fierce lioness! I had a youtube link to the finale of Prokofievs 3rd concerto, but somehow it's been removed. But I'm sure it's still out there (can't be bothered to search now). The last 2 minutes are unbelieable

I think I have 5 or 6 of her Schumann Concerto recordings lying around, including one made when she was 11 years old (on medias like LP, cd, dvd and blu-rays).
angliru is offline  
post #120 of 169 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: LV-426
Posts: 35,723
                     
Re: Music Thread

Oxygen wasn't the Danish entry?

Captain Matthew Gideon: I may have an idea.
Dureena Nafeel: I don't think you've recovered from your last good idea.
Captain Matthew Gideon: That would explain it.

Crusade: The Needs of Earth
Protoss is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome