On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen - Page 282 - TennisForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #4216 of 5049 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,218
                     
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by postalblowfish View Post
I like track cycling.
A man of good taste...
Burisleif is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4217 of 5049 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Senior Member
 
DownInAHole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8,182
                     
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

I say we leave things as they are. The thread seems to be working fine, why change it? I think there are enough people that do enjoy having a place to discuss ATP matches that we shouldn't mess with things. Speaking for myself I don't find talk about football or formula one very stimulating but that doesn't mean people shouldn't be able to talk about them. When I see those topics brought up I just skip them. Seems like an easy enough solution.

Don't get on the scale if U ain't got the weight
It's more hard to love than it is to hate


Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline  
post #4218 of 5049 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,218
                     
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
I say we leave things as they are. The thread seems to be working fine, why change it? I think there are enough people that do enjoy having a place to discuss ATP matches that we shouldn't mess with things. Speaking for myself I don't find talk about football or formula one very stimulating but that doesn't mean people shouldn't be able to talk about them. When I see those topics brought up I just skip them. Seems like an easy enough solution.
When half the posts are now about Men's tennis in contravention to forum rules,, then it clearly isn't fine. Whether you like it really isn't that relevant?

What is with all the narsisism here?
Burisleif is offline  
post #4219 of 5049 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Senior Member
 
DownInAHole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8,182
                     
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
When half the posts are now about Men's tennis in contravention to forum rules,, then it clearly isn't fine. Whether you like it really isn't that relevant?

What is with all the narsisism here?
Sigh, I was trying to be polite about this but it appears that there is only one person that has a problem with the way things are. Should we really change something that is working and that many people are enjoying to suit the whims of that one person? That seems excessive to me. Is it really a great hardship to ask you to just skip the posts that are related to ATP matches?

Don't get on the scale if U ain't got the weight
It's more hard to love than it is to hate


Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline  
post #4220 of 5049 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Senior Member
 
C. W. Fields's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 11,531
                     
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Murray is 8-7 H2H but Federer has won five of the last seven and has straight-setted the Brit in both their previous GS finals, USO 08 and AO 10. This will be their first match on a surface other than HC.

Paul Annacone on Wozniacki: "Her biggest skill is to make you over play."
C. W. Fields is offline  
post #4221 of 5049 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Senior Member
 
DownInAHole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8,182
                     
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

I'm a bit torn. Murray is definitely the best current player to have never won a slam and it is hard to begrudge him winning one, especially Wimbledon. However, who knows how many more chances Federer will have? Sure he already has sixteen but I think an awful lot of fans are rooting for him to win at least one more and Wimbledon seems like the ideal place for him to win his final slam. Either way I will be happy but a little more happy if Federer wins.

Don't get on the scale if U ain't got the weight
It's more hard to love than it is to hate


Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline  
post #4222 of 5049 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,218
                     
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
Sigh, I was trying to be polite about this but it appears that there is only one person that has a problem with the way things are. Should we really change something that is working and that many people are enjoying to suit the whims of that one person? That seems excessive to me. Is it really a great hardship to ask you to just skip the posts that are related to ATP matches?
Sure you were... I'm not bothered about the subject matter... The fact that it is against TF rules, is flooding this thread, and risking it's closure together with all the uninfringing posts is the issue. Stop being so bloody selfish and comprhend the concern raised. It's not about what you like or think is working. From a simple standpoint of respect to other contributers to this thread I would expect a more understanding response. If you had the slightest interest in this comunity you would act acordingly and start a relevant thread. Would it realy be a great hardship for you and your few to post in a thread meant for the subject rather risk this one being taken down?
Burisleif is offline  
post #4223 of 5049 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Senior Member
 
DownInAHole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8,182
                     
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
Sure you were... I'm not bothered about the subject matter... The fact that it is against TF rules, is flooding this thread, and risking it's closure together with all the uninfringing posts is the issue. Stop being so bloody selfish and comprhend the concern raised. It's not about what you like or think is working. From a simple standpoint of respect to other contributers to this thread I would expect a more understanding response. If you had the slightest interest in this comunity you would act acordingly and start a relevant thread. Would it realy be a great hardship for you and your few to post in a thread meant for the subject rather risk this one being taken down?
How about taking your own advice? As I said, there is one person that sees this as being a problem. No one else has agreed with your concerns. Think about it, which one of us is acting selfishly? The rest of us are perfectly happy with the way things are and you expect us to change because you don't like it? Narcissism indeed.

Don't get on the scale if U ain't got the weight
It's more hard to love than it is to hate


Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline  
post #4224 of 5049 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Back in 5+ Minutes
 
Jimmie48's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 25,973
                     
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

It#s kind of comforting to check back in here late and see that everything's normal...
Jimmie48 is offline  
post #4225 of 5049 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,218
                     
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
How about taking your own advice? As I said, there is one person that sees this as being a problem. No one else has agreed with your concerns. Think about it, which one of us is acting selfishly? The rest of us are perfectly happy with the way things are and you expect us to change because you don't like it? Narcissism indeed.
Is this your thread? No. I'm I concerned about my own thread? No. What the fact about site rules would you like spelled out?
Burisleif is offline  
post #4226 of 5049 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,218
                     
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
It#s kind of comforting to check back in here late and see that everything's normal...
Shouldn't you be trolling in GM?
Burisleif is offline  
post #4227 of 5049 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2012, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,829
                     
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
How about taking your own advice? As I said, there is one person that sees this as being a problem. No one else has agreed with your concerns. Think about it, which one of us is acting selfishly? The rest of us are perfectly happy with the way things are and you expect us to change because you don't like it? Narcissism indeed.
Actually,you're speaking from ignorance here;AYE find it slightly annoying sometimes,too,that so much space is devoted/wasted on Swishville News.I don't complain about it that much b/c I realize that I've caused my share of problems in THIS forum,and others,so I choose to fight more important battles and not focus so much on this one.However,you are factually incorrect when you unilaterally declare that everyone but Burisleif is happy with the current state of things

PARTY IN THE PANIC ROOM! Serena wins an undoubtedly clean #22

Congrats on Number Three, Kim! We need more of you in this world

Unforgettable memories of the Olympic Slam Queen, Señora Dementieva
bruce goose is offline  
post #4228 of 5049 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2012, 02:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,218
                     
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Thank you very much for your input.On principle,I'm opposed to punishing someone for their natural gifts...and there ARE elements of skill to good serving;however,we agree in several respects.I've seen matches where Serena was being clearly outplayed in virtually every aspect of the game...and won ONLY due to her service edge.She's not the only one,of course but,regardless of who it is,such a one-dimensional victory wasn't what the founders of the sport intended,if I had to guess.In Serena's defense,she's inarguably an all-time great,whereas there are guys,in that cesspool of swishy unbearable punks known as the ATP,who are nothing more than Serve Machines...little more than club pros w/o their singular advantage.

Serena's only human(though our favorite J.W. loses her holy rectitude and becomes SUB-human sometimes when umpires piss her off),so it wouldn't be any surprise if her service edge encouraged her to play lazily or sloppily in matches-especially during an opponent's service games(i.e.:'I can just serve my way out of trouble whenever I want').Though she served powerfully both on the faster green clay and on the Blue Freak Show at Madrid,many of us have noticed how Serena often avoids slow,red clay like the plague,and she was as useless as teats on a bull at RG this year...other than the headlines she created by her extra-early exit.I'm not going to play God by pretending to read Ree's mind,but I wouldn't call it a wild assumption that she disliked her relative inability to overpower foes or end points rapidly with one shot on red clay
Absolutely a wouldn't want to penalise a skill, but rather make them count more. However I don't think I'm wrong in suggesting that many are not happy with the direction the game is heading, with the now added advantage of height entering the frame. Alas a huge issue of joint tournaments is the tunning of the courts to the mens game... So ideally a way to adress and balance for both sexes at the same time is needed...
Burisleif is offline  
post #4229 of 5049 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Back in 5+ Minutes
 
Jimmie48's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 25,973
                     
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
Shouldn't you be trolling in GM?
No need, you have the trolling part absolutely covered
Jimmie48 is offline  
post #4230 of 5049 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Senior Member
 
DownInAHole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8,182
                     
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
Is this your thread? No. I'm I concerned about my own thread? No. What the fact about site rules would you like spelled out?
My concern is that if we change things we may not have a place to discuss ATP matches here. That's it. Typically it is just the slams that garner any interest so you will likely get a break from it shortly, at least until the U.S. Open. Again, I don't see the problem. You don't like something and are trying to force the rest of us to change to suit you. That seems excessive and unnecessary. Can't you accept something that you don't like that other people do enjoy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Actually,you're speaking from ignorance here;AYE find it slightly annoying sometimes,too,that so much space is devoted/wasted on Swishville News.I don't complain about it that much b/c I realize that I've caused my share of problems in THIS forum,and others,so I choose to fight more important battles and not focus so much on this one.However,you are factually incorrect when you unilaterally declare that everyone but Burisleif is happy with the current state of things
If you go back and read what I typed this is what I said:

Quote:
As I said, there is one person that sees this as being a problem. No one else has agreed with your concerns.
At the time that I wrote that it was true, no one else had spoken up in agreement with Burisleif. If enough people speak up and agree with that side of the discussion then a change will need to happen but I think it is fair to go along with the majority and at the moment the majority seems content to allow ATP discussion here. I would be fine with an all ATP thread but as has been pointed out by you and others such threads tend to be locked. That being the case the "off-topic" thread is likely the best place for those discussions.

If you disagree with something you shouldn't be shy about saying so, you certainly haven't been in the past. As long as you are respectful in your disagreements I don't believe that anyone is going to have any problems with you voicing your opinions.

Don't get on the scale if U ain't got the weight
It's more hard to love than it is to hate


Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome