Caroline Wozniacki Articles and Interviews - Page 201 - TennisForum.com

 171Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #3001 of 5114 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Senior Member
 
C. W. Fields's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 11,531
                     
Re: Articles and Interviews

When a group of people feel surpressed - in this case the supposed cultural mockery of curvy, black women - they and their friends are extra ready to take offense if the person who's 'mocking' them is a person who's a have where they're have-nots, like if a billionaire mocked poor people. I think one of the reasons why so many people have gotten their panties in such a twist and are screaming "racist body stereotyping of black women" is because of the body type Caro herself is. Caro is close to the ideal image of what western fashion says a woman should look like: tall without being too tall, neither flatchested or boobsy, slim without being too skinny, athletic without being overly muscular and unfeminine, a pretty face without being a Barbie and last but not least, white and blonde. To some jealous or easily offended people it feels like Caro is rubbing salt in their wounds: "I have everything and now I'm mocking you for not having what I've got, ha ha ha!".

Just to be clear, this is not my personal view, I just think this is how some of the screamers of "Racism!" are feeling at one level or another, whether they're aware of it or not. This whole thing would probably be a much smaller issue (maybe even a non-issue) if the perpetrator had been someone with less 'perfect' looks, like Jankovic, Schiavone or Errani.

Paul Annacone on Wozniacki: "Her biggest skill is to make you over play."
C. W. Fields is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3002 of 5114 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2012, 10:43 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Chrissie-fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 13,736
                     
Re: Articles and Interviews

To me a lot of this is just a matter of people letting the media doing their thinking for them. Roddick, Djokovic, Caroline herself and others have done the imitation before, but nobody made a big deal out of it. Perhaps some of those who now object so strongly found it a bit annoying back then as well, but not enough to make a federal case out of it. It was only when three or four days after the actual event took place and the media told everyone that we should be offended that it snowballed into this ridiculous "Caro is a racist" nonsense. And needless to say, many of those who have been bashing her on fecebook, twitter, internet forums, youtube and the rest of it really couldn't care less about the issue itself. Many are probably just the type of crazies that get a kick out of bashing, insulting, trolling and threatening a celebrity. Doesn't matter why, as long as they can do it. When they get bored of this one they just move on to their next victim. But it says a lot about what for god only knows we still call the 'serious' media that they these days pick up on such (non)news and lower themselves to the level of a tabloid. The difference between the two is no longer there.

But yes, the story seems to be slowly dying, and at this point most seem to be on Caro's side in that they argue that it was over the top to begin with. But unfortunately the damage has been done. Not that I think that from now on the majority of people will have negative feelings about her based on this non-event. But even if the media and internet fruitcakes have ruined her reputation in the eyes of just one percent of the people out there it's one percent too many. Not that they will care though.

Chrissie-fan is offline  
post #3003 of 5114 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3
                     
Re: Articles and Interviews

I think only a nut who sees racism in everything would blame a 22 year old Dane for having some fun at an exhibition, in the same way Roddick & Djokovic did it.

I think this will blow over totally. There's kids getting killed at schools, getting killed at the movies.
This was a bunch of nonsense on a slow news week.

What matters is how she plays in 2013. Its very hard to win 6 titles a year, compete for #1 and go deep in majors.

I think the big problem they have now is that Rory is being sued by Oakley
goldenlxx is offline  
post #3004 of 5114 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Senior Member
 
CWTennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: I don't give a shit!
Posts: 9,339
                     
Re: Articles and Interviews

WTA Buy/Sell/Hold: Top three will be tough to break up in 2013
http://tennis.si.com/2012/12/17/wta-...pova-azarenka/
Quote:
Caroline Wozniacki (Current Rank — No. 10): Wozniacki is much too talented to be ranked this low. A crisis of confidence torpedoed her year, and if it wasn’t for a late push through the fall, the Dane wouldn’t even be in the top 10. That’s a dramatic fall for a woman who began the year No. 1 with a two-year reign at the top. Her wins in Seoul and Moscow have to build her confidence going into 2013, and I suspect she’ll be back into the top five by year’s end.
30 Under 30 - Sports - Forbes
http://www.forbes.com/special-report...-30_sport.html
Quote:
The Danish star held the WTA No.1 ranking for 67 of 68 weeks from 2010 to 2012. Now she's releasing her own underwear line.

Caroline''Sunshine'' Wozniacki

You got yourself some haterZ
Hope they choke on Now and Laters™

CWTennis is offline  
post #3005 of 5114 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London
Posts: 7,720
                     
Re: Articles and Interviews

She's in interesting company with the '30 under 30' list. Only WTA tennis player.

SUNSHINE

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline  
post #3006 of 5114 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Senior Member
 
marineblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,594
                     
Re: Articles and Interviews

[QUOTE=CWTennis;22596874]WTA Buy/Sell/Hold: Top three will be tough to break up in 2013
http://tennis.si.com/2012/12/17/wta-...pova-azarenka/


There has been a thread like this in GM recently. Sports Illustrated is copying Tennis Forum! I can't.
marineblue is offline  
post #3007 of 5114 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Senior Member
 
goldenlox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: cyberspace
Posts: 97,129
                     
Re: Articles and Interviews

Here comes the next step

Douglas Robson@dougrobson
Big toes aside, Serena weighs in on Caro controversy. Stay tuned.

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter....
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
Enjoy This Moment!!
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline  
post #3008 of 5114 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Senior Member
 
CWTennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: I don't give a shit!
Posts: 9,339
                     
Re: Articles and Interviews

just great

Caroline''Sunshine'' Wozniacki

You got yourself some haterZ
Hope they choke on Now and Laters™

CWTennis is offline  
post #3009 of 5114 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9,077
                     
Re: Articles and Interviews

Here is Serena's reaction

Lying low in the offseason doesn't keep Serena Williams from making news.

Earlier this month, Williams was inadvertently drawn into a controversy when former No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark imitated her at an exhibition in Brazil.

Wozniacki made fun of Williams' ample build by stuffing towels into her top and skirt.

Video footage went viral. Social media reactions were swift and sometimes ugly. Whoopi Goldberg brought it up on the TV program The View.

Innocent or not, some saw it as racist. How does Williams feel?

In an e-mail, the 15-time major winner said she saw no ill intent from Wozniacki.

"I know Caro and I would call her my friend and I don't think she (meant) anything racist by it," she wrote from the island of Mauritius off the coast of Africa, where she is training in preparation for the Australia swing.

Williams has been parodied equally irreverently by the likes of Andy Roddick and Novak Djokovic. Some might see that as less offensive, since they don't directly compete across the net.

Others might see it as worse — men performing acts that could be interpreted as both sexist and racist.

Williams herself has poked fun at her physique, calling herself "bootylicious" and referring to her extra "assets."

She and Wozniacki likewise have a history — a friendly one.

The Dane was one of the few players to visit Williams in 2011 following her surgery for a hematoma in her stomach. The two have traded advice on everything from jewelry to boyfriends.

Williams explained that she hadn't seen the widely viewed video clip and didn't understand why it suddenly took on racist tones when others had done it before.

"(Roddick) and (Djokovic) do it all the time and Caro does (it) and now it's racist.??" she wrote.

Williams said in these matters she prefers to stay above the fray.

"At the end of the day I spend my time focused on things to become better and not bring me down," she continued.

Williams, however, hinted that while she was not personally bothered if others are then Wozniacki might at least be guilty of bad taste.

"I must add if people feel this way she should take reason and do something different next time," she concluded, punctuating her sentence with a smiley emoticon.

Meantime, organizers of an exhibition involving Williams in Thailand announced Wednesday that the reigning U.S. Open and Wimbledon champ had withdrawn because of surgery on her big toes. She was to play No. 1 Victoria Azarenka later this month.

According to a medical certificate from Florida podiatrist Jeffrey Rockefeller, Williams ''was treated for a chronic foot disorder which involved minor procedures on both of her great toes" and needs to "minimize her activity" to recover.

Williams' agent, Jill Smoller, said by phone Wednesday that the "minor procedure," performed earlier this month, would have "no impact" on Williams' Australian Open preparations.

Williams, ranked No. 3, opens her 2013 campaign at a tournament in Brisbane on Dec. 31. She has won the Australian Open five times, most recently in 2010.

Advertisement




http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...acist/1780467/
guichard is offline  
post #3010 of 5114 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Senior Member
 
goldenlox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: cyberspace
Posts: 97,129
                     
Re: Articles and Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by guichard View Post
Here is Serena's reaction

Lying low in the offseason doesn't keep Serena Williams from making news.

Earlier this month, Williams was inadvertently drawn into a controversy when former No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark imitated her at an exhibition in Brazil.

Wozniacki made fun of Williams' ample build by stuffing towels into her top and skirt.

Video footage went viral. Social media reactions were swift and sometimes ugly. Whoopi Goldberg brought it up on the TV program The View.

Innocent or not, some saw it as racist. How does Williams feel?

In an e-mail, the 15-time major winner said she saw no ill intent from Wozniacki.

"I know Caro and I would call her my friend and I don't think she (meant) anything racist by it," she wrote from the island of Mauritius off the coast of Africa, where she is training in preparation for the Australia swing.

Williams has been parodied equally irreverently by the likes of Andy Roddick and Novak Djokovic. Some might see that as less offensive, since they don't directly compete across the net.

Others might see it as worse — men performing acts that could be interpreted as both sexist and racist.

Williams herself has poked fun at her physique, calling herself "bootylicious" and referring to her extra "assets."

She and Wozniacki likewise have a history — a friendly one.

The Dane was one of the few players to visit Williams in 2011 following her surgery for a hematoma in her stomach. The two have traded advice on everything from jewelry to boyfriends.

Williams explained that she hadn't seen the widely viewed video clip and didn't understand why it suddenly took on racist tones when others had done it before.

"(Roddick) and (Djokovic) do it all the time and Caro does (it) and now it's racist.??" she wrote.

Williams said in these matters she prefers to stay above the fray.

"At the end of the day I spend my time focused on things to become better and not bring me down," she continued.

Williams, however, hinted that while she was not personally bothered if others are then Wozniacki might at least be guilty of bad taste.

"I must add if people feel this way she should take reason and do something different next time," she concluded, punctuating her sentence with a smiley emoticon.

Meantime, organizers of an exhibition involving Williams in Thailand announced Wednesday that the reigning U.S. Open and Wimbledon champ had withdrawn because of surgery on her big toes. She was to play No. 1 Victoria Azarenka later this month.

According to a medical certificate from Florida podiatrist Jeffrey Rockefeller, Williams ''was treated for a chronic foot disorder which involved minor procedures on both of her great toes" and needs to "minimize her activity" to recover.

Williams' agent, Jill Smoller, said by phone Wednesday that the "minor procedure," performed earlier this month, would have "no impact" on Williams' Australian Open preparations.

Williams, ranked No. 3, opens her 2013 campaign at a tournament in Brisbane on Dec. 31. She has won the Australian Open five times, most recently in 2010.

Advertisement




http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...acist/1780467/
Yeah, the expected response.
This was a bunch of hoopla over nothing.
Now Caroline can focus on tennis

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter....
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
Enjoy This Moment!!
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline  
post #3011 of 5114 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2012, 09:36 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Chrissie-fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 13,736
                     
Re: Articles and Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Yeah, the expected response.
This was a bunch of hoopla over nothing.
Now Caroline can focus on tennis
Expected and logical words, but good that she said them anyway.

Chrissie-fan is offline  
post #3012 of 5114 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London
Posts: 7,720
                     
Re: Articles and Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by guichard View Post
"I know Caro and I would call her my friend and I don't think she (meant) anything racist by it," she wrote from the island of Mauritius off the coast of Africa, where she is training in preparation for the Australia swing.
.....
"(Roddick) and (Djokovic) do it all the time and Caro does (it) and now it's racist.??" she wrote.
What the sane people have been saying all along. It's what tennis players do at exhos (or did). Still, good Serena Williams confirmed the sane point of view.

I've mentioned it before and now I am again. The people who've yelled 'racism' to this incident has done the anti-racism cause a great dis-service.

By spending so much time and effort on a (imho) non-racism incident, they've effectively ridiculed the anti-racism agenda / movement.

Next time someone yells 'racism', a lot of people are going to yawn loud and think : *Yeah, yeah. Another non-issue blown out of proportion* ..

It may be a valid reason this time round, but the damage is done and fewer people will pay attention.

SUNSHINE

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline  
post #3013 of 5114 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Senior Member
 
C. W. Fields's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 11,531
                     
Re: Articles and Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by guichard View Post
"I know Caro and I would call her my friend and I don't think she (meant) anything racist by it,"
But that still implies it was a racist act by Caro, just unintended. Serena is being a bit ambiguous there, at the same time trying to support Caro without saying the people screaming "racism against black women" are wrong.

Paul Annacone on Wozniacki: "Her biggest skill is to make you over play."

Last edited by C. W. Fields; Dec 20th, 2012 at 11:13 AM.
C. W. Fields is offline  
post #3014 of 5114 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,102
                     
Re: Articles and Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
But that still implies it was a racist act by Caro, just unintended. Serena is being a bit ambigious there, at the same time trying to support Caro without saying the people screaming "racism against black women" are wrong.
Serena, the diplomat. She really didn't have a choice but to also have a small foot in the other camp.
backhandsmash is offline  
post #3015 of 5114 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2012, 08:58 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Chrissie-fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 13,736
                     
Re: Articles and Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
But that still implies it was a racist act by Caro, just unintended. Serena is being a bit ambigious there, at the same time trying to support Caro without saying the people screaming "racism against black women" are wrong.
It's the best comment we could hope for though. Serena is also in a difficult position in that if she just laughs it away certain members of the black community would take offense. When talking about this she too is walking on egg-shells. One "wrong" word and the show starts all over again.

Chrissie-fan is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome