Why do people think venus and serena are... - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 7,274
                     
Why do people think venus and serena are...

the most powerful hitters??? Um excuse me but their groundstrokes about even in terms of ground stroke speed with davenport, jen, justine, kim, myskina, mary and a few others. Venus may be the fastest server but when an ace at 88 mph is no better or worse than an ace at 120. The sisters excell because of a combination of factors, they are a jack of all trades and that is why they are so good. Speed, power, athleticism and mental fortitude are what propells them, especially the mental part.

so if youre going to make comparisons of power and hitting then why not make it with the person who hits the hardest mary, lucic, davenport.

oh and my new favorite russina is myskina after her fearless and superb effort in the fed cup. She rocks and is my new honorary williams sisters. sorry miss model shara.

The WTA Women of Wonder Featuring....The Goddess: Venus Williams The Glamazon: Serena Williams The Lioness: Jennifer Capriati The High Priestess: Monica Seles The Saint: Kim Clijsters The Phoenix: Chanda Rubin The Bon Vivant: Amelie Mauresmo The Titan: Lindsay Davenport The Courtesan: Anna Kournikova The Exile: Martina Hingis The Sorceress: Anatasia Myskina The Minx: Maria Sharapova
Cybelle Darkholme is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Pyongyan
Posts: 2,421
                     
If you don't think they are among the hardest hitters, then you either don't know tennis or are in denial.
Doraemon is offline  
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: britain
Posts: 1,299
             
lol, justbecause they are the biggest hitters doesn't mean anybody is saying that's all they have to their game....

another Why-Don't-The-Sisters-Get-Enough-Credit thread.
hey_britney is offline  
post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:08 PM
 
harloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Wonderland Arts Society
Posts: 18,688
                     
What I find odd is that everyone does not attribute Davenport, and Jen's success to the power game. They only consider them to be smart girls who just happen to hit the ball hard. LOL

And they constantly compare Justine to Hingis because she is so small and fragile in their eyes. Well it looks like Justine uses a lot of POWER to me, but of course her one handed backhand is the reason she is not considered a power baseliner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh
I'll say this in public once. I miss serena so much. Fed is my favorite player but no one does it like her.

harloo is offline  
post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: britain
Posts: 1,299
             
Quote:
Originally Posted by harloo
What I find odd is that everyone does not attribute Davenport, and Jen's success to the power game. They only consider them to be smart girls who just happen to hit the ball hard. LOL

And they constantly compare Justine to Hingis because she is so small and fragile in their eyes. Well it looks like Justine uses a lot of POWER to me, but of course her one handed backhand is the reason she is not considered a power baseliner.
Who doesn't attribute the success of Davenport and Capriati to their power games? I find it hard to believe anybody wouldn't.

Justine is a bulked-up version of Hingis with a wicked one-handed backhand.
hey_britney is offline  
post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 44,005
                     
The thing is people say: They win because they hit hard.

well if it was about hitting hard, then wouldnŽt Lindsay, Lucic, Mary,be on top?! all hit HARDER than the sisters.

Always bet on black!
Can you handle the truth?
The truth:
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
21 majors:6366


Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline  
post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: britain
Posts: 1,299
             
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou
The thing is people say: They win because they hit hard.

well if it was about hitting hard, then wouldnŽt Lindsay, Lucic, Mary,be on top?! all hit HARDER than the sisters.
I don't agree. I think the sisters hit harder than all three.

Lindsay is about the only player who can match the sisters in winners (on a good day), but I wouldn't go as far as to say she hits harder than they do.
hey_britney is offline  
post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:19 PM
 
harloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Wonderland Arts Society
Posts: 18,688
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy This Andy That
I'm sorry but who considered Jenn smart?
When have you ever seen Jen or Lindsay attacked for hitting the ball as hard as they do?

I like Lindsay and her game, but that's all you hear is that she is a beautiful striker of the ball. Do you hear her or Jen's success on tour being attributed to how hard they hit the ball?

No you don't.

And I like Lindsay too.

Also, Henin is not Hingis. Please. Hingis was just more crafty. The comparison is an insult to Martina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh
I'll say this in public once. I miss serena so much. Fed is my favorite player but no one does it like her.

harloo is offline  
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 44,005
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_britney
I don't agree. I think the sisters hit harder than all three.

Lindsay is about the only player who can match the sisters in winners (on a good day), but I wouldn't go as far as to say she hits harder than they do.
Really?! Go in the Mary Pierce hits....thread and youŽll see that the concensus is that Mary hits harder.

Always bet on black!
Can you handle the truth?
The truth:
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
21 majors:6366


Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline  
post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 44,005
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by harloo
When have you ever seen Jen or Lindsay attacked for hitting the ball as hard as they do?

I like Lindsay and her game, but that's all you hear is that she is a beautiful striker of the ball. Do you hear her or Jen's success on tour being attributed to how hard they hit the ball?

No you don't.

And I like Lindsay too.

Also, Henin is not Hingis. Please. Hingis was just more crafty. The comparison is an insult to Martina.
ainŽt this the truth?!

Always bet on black!
Can you handle the truth?
The truth:
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
21 majors:6366


Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline  
post #11 of 77 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:22 PM
 
harloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Wonderland Arts Society
Posts: 18,688
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_britney
I don't agree. I think the sisters hit harder than all three.

Lindsay is about the only player who can match the sisters in winners (on a good day), but I wouldn't go as far as to say she hits harder than they do.
Lucic hit's harder than the sisters. And Mary can match them as well as Lindsay. But Justine uses alot of power also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh
I'll say this in public once. I miss serena so much. Fed is my favorite player but no one does it like her.

harloo is offline  
post #12 of 77 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: britain
Posts: 1,299
             
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou
Really?! Go in the Mary Pierce hits....thread and youŽll see that the concensus is that Mary hits harder.
and i disagree.
hey_britney is offline  
post #13 of 77 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: britain
Posts: 1,299
             
Quote:
Originally Posted by harloo
Lucic hit's harder than the sisters. And Mary can match them as well as Lindsay. But Justine uses alot of power also.
Lucic does not.

Mary cannot.

Yes, justine uses lots of power. that's why she's the bulked up version of hingis.
hey_britney is offline  
post #14 of 77 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Pyongyan
Posts: 2,421
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by harloo
When have you ever seen Jen or Lindsay attacked for hitting the ball as hard as they do?

I like Lindsay and her game, but that's all you hear is that she is a beautiful striker of the ball. Do you hear her or Jen's success on tour being attributed to how hard they hit the ball?

No you don't.

And I like Lindsay too.

Also, Henin is not Hingis. Please. Hingis was just more crafty. The comparison is an insult to Martina.
It's obvious that the sisters are so good as they are not just because of their power. Ppl who say the sisters are good only because they are so powerful are just no worth taking seriously. So chill out and listen only to educated ppl. Usually we attribute the sisters' success to their athleticism which apparently Lindsay doesn't have so I guess it's a fair statement though they obviously have more than that to their game. When they first came on the scene, they tended more to resort to their power and athleticism but over the years they leanred to use brains and variety of shots which should be attributed to their rise from top players to the best players. In my opinion, everyone who is educated about tennis gives them enough credit and if you think they don't, then you may be listening to wrong ppl.
Doraemon is offline  
post #15 of 77 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 44,005
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Seiya
It's obvious that the sisters are so good as they are not just because of their power. Ppl who say the sisters are good only because they are so powerful are just no worth taking seriously. So chill out and listen only to educated ppl. Usually we attribute the sisters' success to their athleticism which apparently Lindsay doesn't have so I guess it's a fair statement though they obviously have more than that to their game. When they first came on the scene, they tended more to resort to their power and athleticism but over the years they leanred to use brains and variety of shots which should be attributed to their rise from top players to the best players. In my opinion, everyone who is educated about tennis gives them enough credit and if you think they don't, then you may be listening to wrong ppl.
They ainŽt that many that give them credit as you think.

Always bet on black!
Can you handle the truth?
The truth:
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
21 majors:6366


Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome