Justine, Jelena speak about rankings; and Williams sisters - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2003, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
tennisIlove09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 44,073
                     
Justine, Jelena speak about rankings; and Williams sisters

Henin-Hardenne: It's hard to compare

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press


ZURICH, Switzerland -- Justin Henin-Hardenne knows she still has to work on her game even though she's No. 1, and she can't worry about the Williams sisters.

Henin-Hardenne and Kim Clijsters have given women's tennis a distinctly Belgian flavor with Serena and Venus Williams sidelined.

"It's hard to say where we would be if they were still playing,'' Henin-Hardenne said. "I hope they come back really soon.''

"It's hard to compare, and that's my last problem right now,'' she added. "All I can say is that they are great champions and have won so many titles. And I still have to improve my game.''

Since Serena beat Venus in the Wimbledon final in their last appearances on tour, Henin-Hardenne and Clijsters have won seven titles and faced each other in the final of three, including the U.S. Open.

On Monday, Henin-Hardenne replaced Clijsters at the top of women's tennis to become the 13th No. 1 in the 28-year history of the WTA Tour rankings.

Her rise came a day after she won the Swisscom Challenge. She has a tour-leading eight titles this year, including the French Open and U.S. Open.

Clijsters, who lost in the Swisscom semifinals, had been No. 1 for 10 weeks. She will regain the No. 1 next Monday because Henin-Hardenne was too fatigued to defend her title at this week's Generali Open in Austria.

Serena Williams had knee surgery Aug. 1 and is out for the rest of the year. Venus, hindered by an abdominal strain since April, plans to return in Philadelphia next week.

Before withdrawing from the U.S. Open, Serena Williams had won five of the previous six Grand Slam titles, beating Venus each time.

Henin-Hardenne ended Serena's 21-match unbeaten streak at Amelia Island in April, then beat her again en route to the French Open title.

Clijsters ended Serena's 57-week reign as No. 1 in August, becoming the first player to take the top ranking without having won a Grand Slam title.

Combined, the Belgians have won 15 tournaments and reached 23 finals this year.

"I think Kim and Justine adjusted their level this year and have shown they can beat the Williams sisters,'' Jelena Dokic said after losing to Henin-Hardenne in the Swisscom Challenge final. "They also play a lot of tournaments.''

Dokic says it's important for the Williams sisters to come back so players have a true sense of where they stand.

"We don't know what kind of form they are in or how they will play when they come back,'' she said. "But I think if the Williams sisters do get back to one and two it will take a while.''

Henin-Hardenne this season has won more singles titles and prize money ($3,277,264) than any other player, male or female.

"I think she really deserves to be No. 1,'' Dokic said. "She has played very consistent. Kim played consistent also. But Justine won two Grand Slams this year so maybe she deserves it more than Kim.''
tennisIlove09 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2003, 12:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,002
                     
"I think Kim and Justine adjusted their level this year and have shown they can beat the Williams sisters,'' Jelena Dokic said after losing to Henin-Hardenne in the Swisscom Challenge final. "They also play a lot of tournaments.''

"they" haven't shown anything. justine has, but kim hasn't. and people question after the "beat down" she got from serena, whether or not she can actually hang with serena.

to me it seems, when serena isn't top form, justine still struggles to win 7-5 in the third against serena. im comparing their games, and with that said, to me justine nor kim come close to hangin with serena or venus on the court right now. they have improved, for if we all remember, they would loose to the sisters like 4-2 or 3-3, now they are loosing to them 7-5 6-4 or 7-6 7-6, or 6-2 in the third. again that is loosing. and every now and then they have wins like 7-5 in the third over them. so they have clearly improved, its just a matter of, can they hang when the sisters are actually "on" their games?

Follow Me! @CedricEarl
SerenaSlam is offline  
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2003, 12:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 43,992
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA BACKHAND
Maybe Kim would be able to show something if "they" would play the game of the tennis sometimes.
Blah blah.....Kim had two shots at Venus and three shots at Serena and couldn´t pull it out.

What have they really shown?! What Justine did this year, she did last year too: beat Serena on clay.....but because Justine did it at a slam, it´s like a big deal. When Justine starts beating Serena on anything else or let´s just say: take sets off Serena....then maybe she has improved.

On clay....Justine can barely win....when Serena was missing balls all over the place and Justine still only wins 7-5 in the third on Serena´s weakest surface and Justine´s best.

They go on grass and Justine get´s totally smoked....not coming even close of winning a set. What´s been proven really?!

Always bet on black!
Can you handle the truth?
The truth:
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
21 majors:6366


Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline  
post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2003, 02:46 AM
Senior Member
 
moon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: usa
Posts: 4,117
                     
Dokic says it's important for the Williams sisters to come back so players have a true sense of where they stand.

lol. Why do they need Vee and Ree to come back since Kim and Justine
are so "capable" of beating them.

Venus Williams-- My tennis inspiration
Roger Federer - GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!
moon is offline  
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2003, 03:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,247
                     
You can tell the player at the top from the player who just wants to get there. Justine is learning the diplomacy game, just as Venus and Serena had to, and Martina Hingis had too. (Steffi seems to have been born reticent.)

Justine and Kim both know they a chance to win every time they step on court. Justine's chances against Venus are slim, but she did beat her the first time they played. I pretty much agree with Justine's comments. Jelena, well, it would be nice if she could play 20 tournaments a year AND be a Top Ten player.

Proud to be an American
Not blind. Not uninformed. We are party to atrocities. But the response of the world after 9/11 is worth noting. Even our most dire enemies offered aid. We should all be so lucky.

Last edited by Volcana; Oct 21st, 2003 at 12:25 PM.
Volcana is offline  
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2003, 04:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 22,067
                     
Jelena is such a funny person: "they also play a lot of tournaments"

keep it up, Jelly

Vassilissa is my girl............
tenn_ace is offline  
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2003, 04:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,002
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou
Blah blah.....Kim had two shots at Venus and three shots at Serena and couldn´t pull it out.

What have they really shown?! What Justine did this year, she did last year too: beat Serena on clay.....but because Justine did it at a slam, it´s like a big deal. When Justine starts beating Serena on anything else or let´s just say: take sets off Serena....then maybe she has improved.

On clay....Justine can barely win....when Serena was missing balls all over the place and Justine still only wins 7-5 in the third on Serena´s weakest surface and Justine´s best.

They go on grass and Justine get´s totally smoked....not coming even close of winning a set. What´s been proven really?!
that is true. with such an "advantage" they make it seem for justine to have over serena, then why, when serena is not "on" her game (people aruge this and say how do you know justine wasn't "on" her game? answer= b/c justine wasn't missing, when serena was missing) is it taking justine to win 7-5 or 7-6 in the third set against serena. last year justine beat serena on clay 7-6 in the third. serena followed it up with a straight sets win on clay the following week i believe. this year justine beat serena 7-5 in the third, serena followed that one with a straight sets win over justine but this time on grass. thing is for justine, i think she knows what she is up against, same thing goes for kim. clay is the neutralizer for justine, when it comes to kim, she can run all day, and when venus and serena are on, you can run all day, but the points eventually end. back to justine, clay is about 1 month out of the almost 12 months played. she is gonna have to figure out how to beat serena on hardcourts, and grass. she is continuing to get her hass beat on hardcourts and grass, and personally if venus is dismissing her in straight sets on everything but clay, serena is gonna do the same. and she has shown that. venus to me, dismisses justine and kim better than serena does. its funnie, cuz venus seems to struglee with amelie and lindsay and martina etc, while serena didn't, she had problems with kim, justine, and jennifer. its so funnie, but ture.

Follow Me! @CedricEarl
SerenaSlam is offline  
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2003, 07:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Dundee, Scotland
Posts: 1,483
                     

Go: Kim, Sveta, Amelie, Justine, Daniella, Patty & all the brit girls.
Darran is offline  
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2003, 07:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 354
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisIlove09
Henin-Hardenne: It's hard to compare

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press


ZURICH, Switzerland -- Justin Henin-Hardenne knows she still has to work on her game even though she's No. 1, and she can't worry about the Williams sisters.

Henin-Hardenne and Kim Clijsters have given women's tennis a distinctly Belgian flavor with Serena and Venus Williams sidelined.

"It's hard to say where we would be if they were still playing,'' Henin-Hardenne said. "I hope they come back really soon.''

"It's hard to compare, and that's my last problem right now,'' she added. "All I can say is that they are great champions and have won so many titles. And I still have to improve my game.''

Since Serena beat Venus in the Wimbledon final in their last appearances on tour, Henin-Hardenne and Clijsters have won seven titles and faced each other in the final of three, including the U.S. Open.

On Monday, Henin-Hardenne replaced Clijsters at the top of women's tennis to become the 13th No. 1 in the 28-year history of the WTA Tour rankings.

Her rise came a day after she won the Swisscom Challenge. She has a tour-leading eight titles this year, including the French Open and U.S. Open.

Clijsters, who lost in the Swisscom semifinals, had been No. 1 for 10 weeks. She will regain the No. 1 next Monday because Henin-Hardenne was too fatigued to defend her title at this week's Generali Open in Austria.

Serena Williams had knee surgery Aug. 1 and is out for the rest of the year. Venus, hindered by an abdominal strain since April, plans to return in Philadelphia next week.

Before withdrawing from the U.S. Open, Serena Williams had won five of the previous six Grand Slam titles, beating Venus each time.

Henin-Hardenne ended Serena's 21-match unbeaten streak at Amelia Island in April, then beat her again en route to the French Open title.

Clijsters ended Serena's 57-week reign as No. 1 in August, becoming the first player to take the top ranking without having won a Grand Slam title.

Combined, the Belgians have won 15 tournaments and reached 23 finals this year.

"I think Kim and Justine adjusted their level this year and have shown they can beat the Williams sisters,'' Jelena Dokic said after losing to Henin-Hardenne in the Swisscom Challenge final. "They also play a lot of tournaments.''

Dokic says it's important for the Williams sisters to come back so players have a true sense of where they stand.

"We don't know what kind of form they are in or how they will play when they come back,'' she said. "But I think if the Williams sisters do get back to one and two it will take a while.''

Henin-Hardenne this season has won more singles titles and prize money ($3,277,264) than any other player, male or female.

"I think she really deserves to be No. 1,'' Dokic said. "She has played very consistent. Kim played consistent also. But Justine won two Grand Slams this year so maybe she deserves it more than Kim.''
This is AP?
Which media from? Thanks.
janjan is offline  
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2003, 08:05 AM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
per4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Belgium
Posts: 41,228
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenaSlam
that is true. with such an "advantage" they make it seem for justine to have over serena, then why, when serena is not "on" her game (people aruge this and say how do you know justine wasn't "on" her game? answer= b/c justine wasn't missing, when serena was missing) is it taking justine to win 7-5 or 7-6 in the third set against serena. last year justine beat serena on clay 7-6 in the third. serena followed it up with a straight sets win on clay the following week i believe. this year justine beat serena 7-5 in the third, serena followed that one with a straight sets win over justine but this time on grass. thing is for justine, i think she knows what she is up against, same thing goes for kim. clay is the neutralizer for justine, when it comes to kim, she can run all day, and when venus and serena are on, you can run all day, but the points eventually end. back to justine, clay is about 1 month out of the almost 12 months played. she is gonna have to figure out how to beat serena on hardcourts, and grass. she is continuing to get her hass beat on hardcourts and grass, and personally if venus is dismissing her in straight sets on everything but clay, serena is gonna do the same. and she has shown that. venus to me, dismisses justine and kim better than serena does. its funnie, cuz venus seems to struglee with amelie and lindsay and martina etc, while serena didn't, she had problems with kim, justine, and jennifer. its so funnie, but ture.
Someone is forgetting the ass-kicking in Charleston I believe. Don't forget that Justine didn't play well at all in the Wimbledon semi.
The problem here is that you think that when Serena is playing well she doesn't miss. True, but Serena was playing well in the semi's at RG. Justine just keeps bringing them back, FORCING Serena to take more risks and make errors. Imo that's still Serena's weakness: the impatience. Venus is patient on the court, and that's why Justine has so many problems against her.
per4ever is offline  
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2003, 08:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 370
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenaSlam
that is true. with such an "advantage" they make it seem for justine to have over serena, then why, when serena is not "on" her game (people aruge this and say how do you know justine wasn't "on" her game? answer= b/c justine wasn't missing, when serena was missing) is it taking justine to win 7-5 or 7-6 in the third set against serena. last year justine beat serena on clay 7-6 in the third. serena followed it up with a straight sets win on clay the following week i believe. this year justine beat serena 7-5 in the third, serena followed that one with a straight sets win over justine but this time on grass. thing is for justine, i think she knows what she is up against, same thing goes for kim. clay is the neutralizer for justine, when it comes to kim, she can run all day, and when venus and serena are on, you can run all day, but the points eventually end. back to justine, clay is about 1 month out of the almost 12 months played. she is gonna have to figure out how to beat serena on hardcourts, and grass. she is continuing to get her hass beat on hardcourts and grass, and personally if venus is dismissing her in straight sets on everything but clay, serena is gonna do the same. and she has shown that. venus to me, dismisses justine and kim better than serena does. its funnie, cuz venus seems to struglee with amelie and lindsay and martina etc, while serena didn't, she had problems with kim, justine, and jennifer. its so funnie, but ture.
Serena fans such as yourself and Bandabou seem to be eager to forget that Justine has handed Serena one of her worst defeats this year. Juju won in straights in Charleston . You keep on harping about how she 'struggled' during RG and got a whooping at Wimbledon, by all means harp away but mention ALL their matches.
nygirl is offline  
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2003, 08:54 AM
Senior Member
 
malaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 802
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl
Serena fans such as yourself and Bandabou seem to be eager to forget that Justine has handed Serena one of her worst defeats this year. Juju won in straights in Charleston . You keep on harping about how she 'struggled' during RG and got a whooping at Wimbledon, by all means harp away but mention ALL their matches.
Lol. I don't know how to say it in English. In French we call it "selective memory"
malaye is offline  
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2003, 09:05 AM
Senior Member
 
AaronJoyB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: ROME
Posts: 7,289
                     
I love JuJU and Kim but Serena and Venus in top form are stroger and better then the belgian
AaronJoyB is offline  
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2003, 09:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Knizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 21,737
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl
Serena fans such as yourself and Bandabou seem to be eager to forget that Justine has handed Serena one of her worst defeats this year. Juju won in straights in Charleston . You keep on harping about how she 'struggled' during RG and got a whooping at Wimbledon, by all means harp away but mention ALL their matches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malaye
Lol. I don't know how to say it in English. In French we call it "selective memory"
I can't tell you how many Juju fans and previously Kim fans, forgot 7-25, 1-9 in Grand Slam matches. Talk about "selective memory"
Knizzle is offline  
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2003, 09:28 AM
Senior Member
 
malaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 802
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knizzle
I can't tell you how many Juju fans and previously Kim fans, forgot 7-25, 1-9 in Grand Slam matches. Talk about "selective memory"
Thank you for the 'reminder' Knizzle, although that was not necessary.

I doubt that "Juju fans and previously Kim fans" have forgotten their favorites stats against the sisters. Our memory is not that selective after all

That doesn't mean we can't hope they will reverse the trend in the future. What's the point of being a fan, if you have no hope left ?
malaye is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome