Yetunde didn't pass away, or die of natural causes - TennisForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2003, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
DA FOREHAND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 8,945
                     
Yetunde didn't pass away, or die of natural causes

She was murdered! My brother was shot to death by a co-workers ex-bf, and it irked me when people spoke about his death like it was a natural occurrance....




Sorry just had to get that off my chest. You may now return to your reg. scheduled bickering.

"Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated" - George Bernard Shaw




"And for the best of the teen-agers who followed her, and who occasionally referred to her as over the hill, Graf had a ready answer: against top-ranked Martina Hingis, Graf wound up 7-2. Graf's stirring 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 throttling of Hingis at the French Open final this June was perhaps the most emphatic parting shot the game has ever seen. "


DA FOREHAND is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,216
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA FOREHAND
She was murdered! My brother was shot to death by a co-workers ex-bf, and it irked me when people spoke about his death like it was a natural occurrance....




Sorry just had to get that off my chest. You may now return to your reg. scheduled bickering.
I never understood that either- why is it so terrible to print an obituary that states the cause of death? Why does it have to be glossed over?

There is nothing more beautiful than Evonne Goolagong in full flight moving across a tennis court.
alfajeffster is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2003, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
DA FOREHAND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 8,945
                     
People can't handle the truth, and would rather live in fantasy rather than reality. I am of a scientific mind, and would much rather deal in reality.

"Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated" - George Bernard Shaw




"And for the best of the teen-agers who followed her, and who occasionally referred to her as over the hill, Graf had a ready answer: against top-ranked Martina Hingis, Graf wound up 7-2. Graf's stirring 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 throttling of Hingis at the French Open final this June was perhaps the most emphatic parting shot the game has ever seen. "


DA FOREHAND is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2003, 06:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 18,114
                     
It is terribly disrespecting to yetunde and her loved ones that it is glossed over. This poor woman WAS BRUTALLY GUNNED DOWN IN HER VEHICLE!

Where is the outrage over this? I don't understand the total lack of anger over this. It is almost as if people now expect and accept this kind of horrible violence in America now.

My heart aches for Yetunde's memory and for the Williams (even tho they have never been my faves I do feel truly very sad for them) but I am also angry. It is good to be angry. Sometimes in this country we don't want to deal with reality.
treufreund is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2003, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
DA FOREHAND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 8,945
                     
How has Germany dealt w/the reality of gunther parche attempting to murder Monica Seles? I don't recall seeing any outrage in Germany at the time of his trial.

"Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated" - George Bernard Shaw




"And for the best of the teen-agers who followed her, and who occasionally referred to her as over the hill, Graf had a ready answer: against top-ranked Martina Hingis, Graf wound up 7-2. Graf's stirring 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 throttling of Hingis at the French Open final this June was perhaps the most emphatic parting shot the game has ever seen. "


DA FOREHAND is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 18,114
                     
why are you asking me that question? Monica did not DIE! (thank god!!) YETUNDE DIED!!!

Also Parche is INSANE!!! Whereas the man who murdered Yetunde is not insane; just heartless.


At the time Monica was attacked I did not follow tennis nor did I live in Germany. But the point is not usa or germany in this thread. the point is the reaction of people ON THIS BOARD which is international
treufreund is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2003, 08:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 931
 
Read some obits. Cause of death is often not mentioned or is summed up in general categories. It's an obituary, not a crime report.

It's impossible for people to refer to death without offending people whose sensibilities are on hyper-alert. If people give them space, they complain about people staying away from them when they need them the most. If people don't give them space, they complain about the intrusion. Nobody knows how to bring up the death so as not to trigger the worst of their pain. Nothing is going to sit right with them when they are hurting. So, we talk as carefully as we can about 'passing on' and we never want to bring it up because it might be something they are managing not to dwell on at that moment. This is not offense given, it's just offense taken.
Bella is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 2003, 01:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,315
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella
Read some obits. Cause of death is often not mentioned or is summed up in general categories. It's an obituary, not a crime report.

It's impossible for people to refer to death without offending people whose sensibilities are on hyper-alert. If people give them space, they complain about people staying away from them when they need them the most. If people don't give them space, they complain about the intrusion. Nobody knows how to bring up the death so as not to trigger the worst of their pain. Nothing is going to sit right with them when they are hurting. So, we talk as carefully as we can about 'passing on' and we never want to bring it up because it might be something they are managing not to dwell on at that moment. This is not offense given, it's just offense taken.
Cause of death is generally not mentioned if it is violence or substance abuse. Occasionally in the case of long-term illness the illness will be mentioned. The way dead people are glossed over or given some magical accomplishment really annoys me. Like the two Canadian soldiers who died from a mine in Afghanistan recently. They are now "Heroes". Why is that? Every peacekeeper in Afghanistan is just as much a hero as these guys, unless of course the guys deliberately drove onto a landmine for some noble purpose.

You have to answer for Santino, Carlo.
disposablehero is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 2003, 03:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Experimentee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,064
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposablehero
Cause of death is generally not mentioned if it is violence or substance abuse. Occasionally in the case of long-term illness the illness will be mentioned. The way dead people are glossed over or given some magical accomplishment really annoys me. Like the two Canadian soldiers who died from a mine in Afghanistan recently. They are now "Heroes". Why is that? Every peacekeeper in Afghanistan is just as much a hero as these guys, unless of course the guys deliberately drove onto a landmine for some noble purpose.
Yeah that annoys me too. Its like once here there was a landslide, and only one survivor, and he was known as a 'hero'. Why is he the hero and the others not? He might have only lived at someone elses expense.
In wars, the soldiers who die are remembered as heroes, and others are pretty much forgotten. Same thing there.
Experimentee is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 2003, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
DA FOREHAND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 8,945
                     
Well the same can be said for the victims of 9-11, what makes them more worthy to receive a million dollar pay-out than say ...Oklahoma City, or hell Wacko!?

"Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated" - George Bernard Shaw




"And for the best of the teen-agers who followed her, and who occasionally referred to her as over the hill, Graf had a ready answer: against top-ranked Martina Hingis, Graf wound up 7-2. Graf's stirring 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 throttling of Hingis at the French Open final this June was perhaps the most emphatic parting shot the game has ever seen. "


DA FOREHAND is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Guest
 
*JR*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the Peace Train
Posts: 34,249
                     
(For about the 13th time) does anyone know if they're actively seeking the reported second shooter?
*JR* is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome