Tennis is becoming boring - TennisForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2003, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 3,763
                     
Tennis is becoming boring

The tennis of today is becoming really, really boring!! It looks like the same people will win every week. I mean Serena and Williams, and the belgian girls are winning everything at the moment. They have no real threats!

A few years ago, you had Hingis, Davenport, Capriati, Venus, Serena and Seles... you never knew who was going to win... at that time tennis was more exciting. You had the big top 5 players like Hingis, Davenport, Capriati, Venus, Serena and Monica... and then you had a very good sub tob like Clijstes and Henin etc... --> and ofcourse Anna

Now the top is winning everything and the subtop is nothing... Look at Hantuchova and Dokic... they're not real threats anymore and the Russian girls too... Capriati can't win titles anymore... neither Davenport.

I hope things will change quick!

WhatS'uP?

Sexy Girl AnnA KournikovA





Last edited by Whatzup; Aug 19th, 2003 at 09:53 PM.
Whatzup is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Dava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pau-Pau-Pau-Pau-La-La-La!
Posts: 17,733
                     
I think the influx of a lot of the young players, has certainly shook things up down at the lower end of the rankings, and lower tiers. These players (Sharapova, Harkleroad, Zvonereva, Sprem etc.) will shake up the higher end of the game sooner or later.

WTA TOUR
ELENA DEMENTIEVA
KIM CLIJSTERS
ALSO STARRING
THE GIRLS ON TOUR!

ASAGOE~BOVINA~JANKOVIC~MOLIK
MYSKINA~SCHNYDER~ZVONAREVA

THE YOUNG GUNS

BACSINSZKY~CHAKVATADZE~IVANOVIC
JACKSON~KIRILENKO~LINETSKAYA
MAKAROVA~MIRZA


THE COMEBACK KIDS

BEYGELZIMER~DOKIC~HARKLEROAD
SPREM~VAKULENKO

Dava is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2003, 09:48 PM
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,216
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatzup
The tennis of today is becoming really, really boring!! It looks like the same people will win every week. I mean Serena and Williams, and the belgian girls are winning everything at the moment. They have no real threats!

A few years ago, you had Hingis, Davenport, Capriati, Venus, Serena and Seles... you never knew who was going to win... at that time tennis was more exciting. You had the big top 5 players like Hingis, Davenport, Capriati, Venus, Serena and Monica... and then you had a very good sub tob like Clijstes and Henin etc.

Now the top is winning everything and the subtop is nothing... Look at Hantuchova and Dokic... they're not real threats anymore and the Russian girls too... Capriati can't win titles anymore... neither Davenport.

I hope things will change quick!
I hope somebody at the ITF level goes down to Florida to all those training camps and starts to teach young players how to serve-and-volley!!! Bring back Jana Novotna!!! Anything to break up this boring baseline play!!!
alfajeffster is offline  
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2003, 09:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: NY,USA
Posts: 1,830
                     
I wish a Hingis-like player would burst onto the tennis scene but i know it won't happen
Diya is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2003, 09:55 PM
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,216
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diya
I wish a Hingis-like player would burst onto the tennis scene but i know it won't happen
Yes, unfortunately, talent like that doesn't come along that often, and can't be taught. You always got the feeling when watching Martina Hingis that she just picked up a tennis racquet for the first time 2 minutes before you got there- and was immediately brilliant. Much as I loved seeing Steffi wax her at the 99 French, I must admit, I miss the little genius!
alfajeffster is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2003, 11:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 686
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diya
I wish a Hingis-like player would burst onto the tennis scene but i know it won't happen
Amen to that! Hey, it could happen. Isn't Daja a Hingis type player?
selesfan87 is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2003, 11:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Dava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pau-Pau-Pau-Pau-La-La-La!
Posts: 17,733
                     
Timea Baczinsky?

WTA TOUR
ELENA DEMENTIEVA
KIM CLIJSTERS
ALSO STARRING
THE GIRLS ON TOUR!

ASAGOE~BOVINA~JANKOVIC~MOLIK
MYSKINA~SCHNYDER~ZVONAREVA

THE YOUNG GUNS

BACSINSZKY~CHAKVATADZE~IVANOVIC
JACKSON~KIRILENKO~LINETSKAYA
MAKAROVA~MIRZA


THE COMEBACK KIDS

BEYGELZIMER~DOKIC~HARKLEROAD
SPREM~VAKULENKO

Dava is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2003, 11:14 PM
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,216
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by selesfan87
Amen to that! Hey, it could happen. Isn't Daja a Hingis type player?
No, she's more like Iva Majoli and Meghan Shaunnessy type player. I thought she was going to be good a few years back when she took out Seles at the U.S. Open, but since then she hasn't done a whole lot- never filled out properly- another really thin player struggling with all the power...
alfajeffster is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2003, 11:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Dava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pau-Pau-Pau-Pau-La-La-La!
Posts: 17,733
                     
Daja has fallen from fallen.

WTA TOUR
ELENA DEMENTIEVA
KIM CLIJSTERS
ALSO STARRING
THE GIRLS ON TOUR!

ASAGOE~BOVINA~JANKOVIC~MOLIK
MYSKINA~SCHNYDER~ZVONAREVA

THE YOUNG GUNS

BACSINSZKY~CHAKVATADZE~IVANOVIC
JACKSON~KIRILENKO~LINETSKAYA
MAKAROVA~MIRZA


THE COMEBACK KIDS

BEYGELZIMER~DOKIC~HARKLEROAD
SPREM~VAKULENKO

Dava is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2003, 12:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Mayfield
Posts: 16,846
                     
It was only for a brief shining moment that the WTA had a galaxy of stars who were all serious contenders for Slams.

Far more often, it has been one or player dominating everyone like crazy, even more so than now. Come on, who had a real chance against Martina and Chris? Players ranked # 4 or 5 were barely known to the public then. Who had a chance against Steffi -- then Steffi & Monica -- then Steffi again? Even young Martina Hingis ruled the roost and left everyone else way back in the dust for a time.

Let's face it, the Tour remains interesting despite the domination of one or a few, only when it is one's own favorite(s) who are winning right and left. it is also interesting if you enjoy the ups and downs of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th tiers of players without expecting the impossible from them.

I enjoy the top players. I enjoy the middle ones. I like the Challenger girls and the Juniors. In short, I'm not bored!
auntie janie is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2003, 01:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Hitlum
Posts: 8,050
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by janie
It was only for a brief shining moment that the WTA had a galaxy of stars who were all serious contenders for Slams.

Far more often, it has been one or player dominating everyone like crazy, even more so than now. Come on, who had a real chance against Martina and Chris? Players ranked # 4 or 5 were barely known to the public then. Who had a chance against Steffi -- then Steffi & Monica -- then Steffi again? Even young Martina Hingis ruled the roost and left everyone else way back in the dust for a time.

Let's face it, the Tour remains interesting despite the domination of one or a few, only when it is one's own favorite(s) who are winning right and left. it is also interesting if you enjoy the ups and downs of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th tiers of players without expecting the impossible from them.

I enjoy the top players. I enjoy the middle ones. I like the Challenger girls and the Juniors. In short, I'm not bored!
I was spoiled by Martina, for year I was only supporting her.

then I added Justine, when she was not even near the top and it was fun to see how she was climbing in the rankings and getting better and better.

Now I have a top player to support but I also follow other players. And up and coming, Lina, two players that are struggling with their results but I hope they can improve, Babsi and Patty.

So I can't be bored with tennis, on a second though, New Haven doesn't seem too interesting for me
Fingon is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2003, 01:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 720
                     
Most people get bored of tennis when their favorites are not winning. Anyway, most people I know only have one or 2 favorites and will want them to win all the time.
gweeny is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2003, 01:34 AM
Senior Member
 
faboozadoo15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: united states
Posts: 22,312
                     
it is getting a little more boring, but i still watch... still enjoy. im biased because monica hasn't played much at all, and she is by FAR my favorite player. hopefully 2004 is better

go monica! aussi 04!!!
faboozadoo15 is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2003, 01:40 AM
Senior Member
 
goldenlox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: cyberspace
Posts: 97,406
                     
It's not boring to me at all.
I just wish there were more WTA matches on tv between Wimbledon and now.
School's starting. They should get as much tennis on during the summer as they can.

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter....
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
Enjoy This Moment!!
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome