Rate the top players!! - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2003, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Knizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 21,749
                     
Rate the top players!!

Rate the top players respective areas of their game 1=worst, 10=best

Here is a template to copy/cut and paste

Serve:
Strokes:
Court Coverage:
Net:
Finesse:
Strength:
Fitness:
Mental Toughness:

My ratings:

Serena:

Serve: 10
Strokes: 9
Court Coverage: 9.5
Net: 7
Finesse: 7
Strength: 10
Fitness: 9
Mental Toughness: 9.5

Average: 8.81

Clijsters:

Serve: 8
Strokes: 8.5
Court Coverage: 9
Net: 8
Finesse: 7.5
Strength: 8.5
Fitness: 9
Mental Toughness: 7.5

Average: 8.25

Henin:

Serve: 8.5
Strokes: 8.5
Court Coverage: 8.5
Net: 8.5
Finesse: 9
Strentgh: 8
Fitness: 9
Mental Toughness: 8.5

Average: 8.56

Venus:

Serve: 9
Strokes: 8.5
Court Coverage: 9.5
Net: 8.5
Finesse: 7.5
Strength: 9
Fitness: 9
Mental Toughness: 9

Average: 8.75

Davenport:

Serve: 9
Strokes: 10
Court Coverage: 5
Net: 8
Finesse: 8
Strength: 7.5
Fitness: 7
Mental Toughness: 8

Average: 7.81


Mauresmo:

Serve: 8
Strokes: 8
Court Coverage: 8
Net: 8.5
Finesse: 8
Strength: 8.5
Fitness: 8.5
Mental Toughness: 7

Average: 8.06


Capriati:

Serve: 7
Strokes: 8
Court Coverage: 8
Net: 7.5
Finesse: 7.5
Strength: 8.5
Fitness: 8
Mental Toughness: 8

Average: 7.81
Knizzle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2003, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Knizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 21,749
                     
No one has any ideas??
Knizzle is offline  
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2003, 05:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 557
                     
Capriati an 8 for strokes and court coverage??? wtf more like 10 and 8.5, at least
banana is offline  
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2003, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Knizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 21,749
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by banana
Capriati an 8 for strokes and court coverage??? wtf more like 10 and 8.5, at least
You think Capriati has better strokes than Venus and Serena?? Capriati also doesn't move as well as she used to.
Knizzle is offline  
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2003, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Knizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 21,749
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by banana
Capriati an 8 for strokes and court coverage??? wtf more like 10 and 8.5, at least
You should make a list of your own too. That's what I started the thread for, to see what other perspectives are.
Knizzle is offline  
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2003, 05:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Dokicfan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ma. USA
Posts: 1,364
                     
Serve: 7
Strokes: 8.5
Court Coverage: 7
Net: 7
Finesse:7.5
Strength: 8.5
Fitness: 7.5
Mental Toughness: 8

::: DOKIC :::
Dokicfan17 is offline  
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2003, 05:46 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Autumn Shade
Posts: 14
 
Knizzle is retarded. Apparently Venus and Davenport have more finesse than Clijsters? Then why does Clijsters have better drop shots, better, more frequent slices, and better, more frequent lobs, plus she angles the ball much more? Ugh you're stupidity astounds me. Anyway.

Wait, not anyway, I also notice how you don't even say volleys, rather, you say "net", which is ridiculously designed around the pathetic volleys of your favorites. Anyway.

Wait, you know what, I'm changing your whole list around, some things are absurd ("fitness"? For top players in the world? They're all fit, believe me, and ditto for "strength").

Serena

Serve: 10
Forehand: 10
Backhand: 9
Court Coverage: 9
Volleys: 4
Finesse: 3

Clijsters

Serve: 8/9
Forehand: 9
Backhand: 9
Court Coverage: 10
Volleys: 6
Finesse: 9

Henin

Serve: 9
Forehand: 9
Backhand: 10
Court Coverage: 9
Volleys: 9
Finesse: 10

Venus

Serve: 9
Forehand: 7
Backhand: 10
Court Coverage: 9
Volleys: 5
Finesse: 2

Capriati

Serve: 7
Forehand: 10
Backhand: 7
Court Coverage: 8
Volleys: 6
Finesse: 5

Davenport

Serve: 9
Forehand: 10
Backhand: 10
Court Coverage: 4
Volleys: 8
Finesse: 3

Mauresmo

Serve: 8
Forehand: 7
Backhand: 9
Court Coverage: 8
Volleys: 10
Finesse: 9

Myskina:

Fastest player on tour, everything else crap.
ProjectMayhem is offline  
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2003, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Knizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 21,749
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMayhem
Knizzle is retarded. Apparently Venus and Davenport have more finesse than Clijsters? Then why does Clijsters have better drop shots, better, more frequent slices, and better, more frequent lobs, plus she angles the ball much more? Ugh you're stupidity astounds me. Anyway.

Wait, not anyway, I also notice how you don't even say volleys, rather, you say "net", which is ridiculously designed around the pathetic volleys of your favorites. Anyway.

Wait, you know what, I'm changing your whole list around, some things are absurd ("fitness"? For top players in the world? They're all fit, believe me, and ditto for "strength").

Serena

Serve: 10
Forehand: 10
Backhand: 9
Court Coverage: 9
Volleys: 4
Finesse: 3

Clijsters

Serve: 8/9
Forehand: 9
Backhand: 9
Court Coverage: 10
Volleys: 6
Finesse: 9

Henin

Serve: 9
Forehand: 9
Backhand: 10
Court Coverage: 9
Volleys: 9
Finesse: 10

Venus

Serve: 9
Forehand: 7
Backhand: 10
Court Coverage: 9
Volleys: 5
Finesse: 2

Capriati

Serve: 7
Forehand: 10
Backhand: 7
Court Coverage: 8
Volleys: 6
Finesse: 5

Davenport

Serve: 9
Forehand: 10
Backhand: 10
Court Coverage: 4
Volleys: 8
Finesse: 3

Mauresmo

Serve: 8
Forehand: 7
Backhand: 9
Court Coverage: 8
Volleys: 10
Finesse: 9

Myskina:

Fastest player on tour, everything else crap.
Some players are fitter than others, and some are stronger than others. According to you Justine Henin is superwoman. There is NO way her backhand is better than Serena's or on par with Venus'. Apparently you haven't seen how Henin's backhand gets overpowered against the sisters. Clijsters is fast, but her court coverage is not as good as Venus and Serena. Clijsters can only do the splits and take a stab at most balls she runs down while V and S have time to take full swings. Venus' forehand is better than a 7. Clijsters and Henin could only wish they hit as many winners as Venus with their forehand. What happened to mental toughness?? Capriati more finesse than Venus?? That's a laugher. Your list is too biased for words.
Knizzle is offline  
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2003, 06:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Gaborone
Posts: 977
                     
ProjectMayhem if you did not like the topic originally posted by Knizzle, you should not have posted. Simple!

Those are things she/he thought to include or wanted to include and everyone has a right to be respected.

Even your categories are flawed to a large degree!

Take care of your character. Reputation will sort itself.
oddkayla is offline  
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2003, 06:16 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Autumn Shade
Posts: 14
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knizzle
Some players are fitter than others, and some are stronger than others. According to you Justine Henin is superwoman. There is NO way her backhand is better than Serena's or on par with Venus'. Apparently you haven't seen how Henin's backhand gets overpowered against the sisters.
Apparently you haven't seen Henin's game the last few months. Her backhand is nearly as powerful, but her slice is what gives it the advantage.



Quote:
Originally Posted by knizzle
Clijsters is fast, but her court coverage is not as good as Venus and Serena. Clijsters can only do the splits and take a stab at most balls she runs down while V and S have time to take full swings.
That's laughable, Clijsters' split allow her to quickly regroup and change momentum, that's why you often see Venus and Serena run for a ball, and after they hit it they're in the crowd because of their momentum, but Clijsters can split and stop on a dime. You said court coverage, not sprint speed, which is clearly a Clijsters advantage with her better anticipation and footwork, and near equal speed.

Quote:
Venus' forehand is better than a 7. Clijsters and Henin could only wish they hit as many winners as Venus with their forehand.
I've read some truly stupid things on this board, but this one is a real gem. Clijsters and Henin hit way more winners and less errors on their forehand, with better angle and depth. Not even a comparison.

Quote:
What happened to mental toughness??
Unfortunately I don't know the mental state of all the players, and since winning and mental toughness are always idiotically catagorized together, the list would go something like Venus, Serena, and Henin as mentally tough, everyone else a frail wilting flower, or something like that.

Quote:
Capriati more finesse than Venus?? That's a laugher. Your list is too biased for words.
Capriati slices more and better, drop shots more and better, lobs more and better, and volleys less but better than Venus, so yes her finesse is better than Venus'. And everyone is biased, so to say that I am too biased for words reflects more on your limited vocabulary than anything else.
ProjectMayhem is offline  
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2003, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Knizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 21,749
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMayhem
Apparently you haven't seen Henin's game the last few months. Her backhand is nearly as powerful, but her slice is what gives it the advantage.
She doesn't take the ball early enough with her backhand, and it results in her getting outdueled on the backhand side because she gets pushed behind the baseline, and then she gives up a short ball. Watch closely her matches and you will see.





Quote:
That's laughable, Clijsters' split allow her to quickly regroup and change momentum, that's why you often see Venus and Serena run for a ball, and after they hit it they're in the crowd because of their momentum, but Clijsters can split and stop on a dime. You said court coverage, not sprint speed, which is clearly a Clijsters advantage with her better anticipation and footwork, and near equal speed.
Why is it then, that other players rarely hit alot of winners against the sisters, but you will always see the sisters hitting alot of winners against anybody?? V and S are the best from defense to offense. Clijsters doesn't do well on defense to offense because she stretchs for a stab shot at the ball sending back over the net. And moving foreward backward, diagonally, are all apart of court coverage too, not just moving laterally.



Quote:
I've read some truly stupid things on this board, but this one is a real gem. Clijsters and Henin hit way more winners and less errors on their forehand, with better angle and depth. Not even a comparison.
They may hit less errors, but Venus hits FAR more winners. Clijsters may hit winners against the lower ranked players, but against the top players. Henin's forehand has improved, but she doesn't hit as many winners as Venus.



Quote:
Capriati slices more and better, drop shots more and better, lobs more and better, and volleys less but better than Venus, so yes her finesse is better than Venus'. And everyone is biased, so to say that I am too biased for words reflects more on your limited vocabulary than anything else.
Capriati better volleys than Venus?? You are living in a dream world. Capriati's slice doesn't bother anyone, I don't even know why she hits it. It sits up and quacks like a sitting duck.


You are painting a picture that doesn't go anywhere in line with reality. I guess you are an abstract artist because according to you Henin and Clijsters are far better players than the WS, but for some reason they can't defeat the sisters that often.
Knizzle is offline  
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2003, 06:45 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Autumn Shade
Posts: 14
 
In my opinion Henin and Clijsters ARE better players than the Williams sisters, or at least are in the process of developing into better players. However, your retardation prevents you from realizing that a players overall ability can't be judged from a list, because tennis is more intricate than that. And until you figure out the true worth of each skill, (such as, is serving not more important than volleying?), no such argument of a players' superiority can be based on numbers. For now, however, you keep pretending that Venus hits a better forehand than the Belgians.
ProjectMayhem is offline  
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2003, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Knizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 21,749
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMayhem
In my opinion Henin and Clijsters ARE better players than the Williams sisters, or at least are in the process of developing into better players. However, your retardation prevents you from realizing that a players overall ability can't be judged from a list, because tennis is more intricate than that. And until you figure out the true worth of each skill, (such as, is serving not more important than volleying?), no such argument of a players' superiority can be based on numbers. For now, however, you keep pretending that Venus hits a better forehand than the Belgians.
I wish Henin and Clijsters would develop already. And you made a list so you speculated as much as I did. Venus' forehand does more damage than either Beigian's. Kimmy's is better than Justine's.
Knizzle is offline  
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2003, 06:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Mars
Posts: 145
 
*Cough*

Is there a reason why you throw the words 'retarded' and 'retardation' around so carelessly? It looks to me like Knizzle stated his views and supported them - but the clincher of your arguments seems to be that he is 'retarded' !?
Deimos is offline  
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2003, 09:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ely, UK
Posts: 731
                     
Serena:

Serve: 10
Strokes: 8.5
Court Coverage: 9
Net: 4
Finesse: 2
Strength: 10
Fitness: 9
Mental Toughness: 8

Average: 7.6

Clijsters:

Serve: 9
Strokes: 8.5
Court Coverage: 10
Net: 7
Finesse: 4
Strength: 9
Fitness: 9.5
Mental Toughness: 6

Average: 7.9

Henin-Hardenne:

Serve: 10
Strokes: 10
Court Coverage: 9.5
Net: 9.5
Finesse: 10
Strentgh: 9.5
Fitness: 10
Mental Toughness: 9.5

Average: 9.8

Venus:

Serve: 7
Strokes: 7.5
Court Coverage: 9.5
Net: 6
Finesse: 3
Strength: 9
Fitness: 9
Mental Toughness: 8

Average: 7.4

Davenport:

Serve: 8
Strokes: 9
Court Coverage: 4
Net: 7
Finesse: 6
Strength: 7
Fitness: 6.5
Mental Toughness: 7

Average: 6.8


Mauresmo:

Serve: 8
Strokes: 8.5
Court Coverage: 8
Net: 8.5
Finesse: 8.5
Strength: 8
Fitness: 8
Mental Toughness: 7

Average: 8.1


Capriati:

Serve: 7
Strokes: 9
Court Coverage: 8.5
Net: 7
Finesse: 6
Strength: 8
Fitness: 8
Mental Toughness: 8

Average: 7.7

Martina Hingis

'THE COMEBACK QUEEN'

2006 Australian Open Mixed Doubles Champion

209 weeks at No.1

40 singles titles incl. 5 GS, 2 WTA Champs
36 doubles titles incl. 10 GS, 2 WTA Champs
1 GS mixed doubles title



MartinaI is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome