Tune In Tomorrow: ESPN To Telecast Roland Garros Semis Live - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2003, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
tennisIlove09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 44,073
                     
Tune In Tomorrow: ESPN To Telecast Roland Garros Semis Live

Tune In Tomorrow: ESPN To Telecast Roland Garros Semis Live

By Richard Pagliaro
06/04/2003

If every picture tells a story, the images emanating from television screens across the country the last couple of days have presented a perplexing picture for tennis fans tuning into ESPN's coverage of Roland Garros.

By the time the final title trophy is raised on the red clay this weekend, ESPN will have telecast a total of at least 77 hours from the French Open. Yet as the draw has proceeded into the later rounds the network has sometimes opted to telecast matches on tape delay rather than broadcasting matches live.

As a result, viewers tuning in to ESPN2 yesterday morning to see Serena Williams' highly-anticipated quarterfinal clash with fifth-seeded French woman Amelie Mauresmo — the last woman to beat the top-ranked Williams this year — were greeted with a tape-delay telecast of Kim Clijsters' victory over Conchita Martinez.

And immediately after that match was finished, ESPN2 presented Williams' crushing conquest of Mauresmo on tape-delay rather than going live to the quarterfinal match between second-seeded Andre Agassi and seventh-seeded Guillermo Coria.

Part of the challenge ESPN faces is the significant time difference between Paris and the major markets in the United States — there is a six-hour time difference between Paris and New York and the City of Light is nine hours ahead of Los Angeles.

The lack of immediacy in the network's recent telecasts has frustrated some fans, but according to Len DeLuca, ESPN's senior vice president of programming, the network's sets its schedule striving to telecast the most compelling matches to the widest audience.

"We're trying to paint the most dramatic story of the matches that are of most interest to American fans in the window that will reach the most viewers," DeLuca told Tennis Week. "The bottom line is what we're trying to do is show the tennis players most interesting to the American audience and show most of their action to try to maximize the tennis fans' enjoyment of the French Open as well as maximize our audience. And as we've done in the past, most notably with Andy Roddick's Australian Open quarterfinal win over Younes El Aynaoui, we will go live when there is a dramatic match or story to be told. Our advantage as a sport network is we can do that."

Just as the final score serves as the ultimate statement of a tennis player's success on court, the ratings reveal a network's success in reaching its intended audience. With ESPN2's coverage commencing at 8 a.m. Eastern time, which is 5 a.m. on the west coast, the network's decision to present popular American players matches on tape delay later in the day is an effort to generate a rise in the ratings. Asked why the network didn't pick up the live feed of some late-round matches and then rebroadcast them in their entirety later in the day, DeLuca said simultaneous action on adjacent courts forces a programming decision.

"It's not unlike covering the Olympics in Europe," DeLuca said. "In the Olympics you'll see events on tape delay when more than one important event is going on simultaneously. Similarly what we're trying to do is build to the best moment and when we can give our viewers the best moment live we've done so in many cases. We telecast (the fourth round match between) Costa and Clement live and then Kuerten and Robredo took us off the air. They were happening simultaneously on different courts so in order to best serve the viewer we showed one live and went to the other match afterward."

American tennis fans who enjoyed ESPN's live coverage of matches for much of the first week of play were hoping for similar live scheduling in the second week. ESPN2 continued the tape-delay trend today in its telecast of both men's quarterfinals.

The decision has dimmed the drama from the City of Light for some fans. Unable to tune into live television coverage, fans have turned on their computers where the immediacy of the Internet has illuminated the unfolding drama.

"There are no formulas, the key is what is in the best interest of the tennis viewers," DeLuca said. "Yes, fans can go get a score off the Internet, but we think the American tennis fans are intelligent enough to want to see these matches as well as some of the outstanding features our production team has produced. This is nothing new. It is the same way tennis and the Olympics have been covered in the past."

American fans can tune into ESPN's live tournament coverage of the women's semifinals beginning at 8 a.m. Eastern time tomorrow (Thursday) with a repeat of the women's semis set for rebroadcast at 1 p.m. Eastern time tomorrow. On Friday, ESPN will telecast one men's semifinal from 1-4 p.m. with men's semifinal highlights shown from 7:30-9:30 p.m.

When Roland Garros ends, ESPN will move on to London to begin preparations for its Wimbledon coverage. ESPN and ESPN2 will offer nearly 120 original hours of programming of the 2003 Wimbledon Championships — the most dedicated to the event by any American network in history. Coverage will be highlighted by one men's and one women's semifinal match.

The addition of Wimbledon means ESPN, for the first time, will telecast three of the four Grand Slam events. In 2003, ESPN will program more than 500 hours of tennis coverage (an increase of 18 percent over 2002 and 45 percent over 2001).
tennisIlove09 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2003, 07:53 PM
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
 
Rocketta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 35,918
                     
Hahaha, they got bad press! Good for them. Deluca sucks balls

120 hours of tape delay @ Wimbledon too! Here we go again?

They know there is no substitute for live action where no one knows what's going to happen! What did ESPN think when they bid on the French Open that the time difference would miraculously lessen?
Rocketta is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2003, 08:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 931
 
"Yes, fans can go get a score off the Internet, but we think the American tennis fans are intelligent enough to want to see these matches as well as some of the outstanding features our production team has produced." …Len DeLuca, ESPN's senior vice president of programming

Does the man know the sentence is meaningless? Does he think throwing in "intelligent" and "fans" will make them not notice he didn't say anything?

Now I know another reason ESPN's programming is what it is; it's senior vp of programming is stupid. Here's just a little more evidence that the old boys just hand these jobs out to their cronies.
Bella is offline  
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2003, 08:24 PM
Senior Member
 
croat123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 31,510
                     
good point bella. i hate it when they completely avoid answering a question.

ESPN sucks The only reason coverage is live tomorrow is because it starts at 8 am EST.

ugh, why do they all suck????????
croat123 is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2003, 08:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Gonzo Hates Me!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 6,940
                     
DeLuca sounds so sinisterrrrr!

I'm a young girl, an old WTAWorld member.
Gonzo Hates Me! is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2003, 09:01 PM
drinking
 
Linnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: condo hell
Posts: 9,490
                     
Quote:
"We're trying to paint the most dramatic story of the matches that are of most interest to American fans in the window that will reach the most viewers," DeLuca told Tennis Week. "The bottom line is what we're trying to do is show the tennis players most interesting to the American audience and show most of their action to try to maximize the tennis fans' enjoyment of the French Open as well as maximize our audience. And as we've done in the past, most notably with Andy Roddick's Australian Open quarterfinal win over Younes El Aynaoui, we will go live when there is a dramatic match or story to be told. Our advantage as a sport network is we can do that."
Translation: "We're gonna show Agassi's matches up the wazoo"

Actually, I've re-read this a few times, and still can't figure out what the fuck he's saying

AMÉLIE ALWAYS

Linnie is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2003, 09:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,793
                     
lol...the only reason we are seeing the semifinals live is because the matches aren't starting until 8am EST. if they were starting at 5 or 6 like they were earlier, there is no way that we would be seeing either of them live.

Venus Williams-Ana Ivanovic-Serena Williams-Vika Azarenka-Caroline Wozniacki

McHale-Stephens-Watson-Robson-Townsend

Brodsky-Muhammad-Hampton-Keys-Crawford-Andrews-Hardebeck
ptkten is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2003, 09:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: this celluloid dream
Posts: 4,078
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptkten
lol...the only reason we are seeing the semifinals live is because the matches aren't starting until 8am EST. if they were starting at 5 or 6 like they were earlier, there is no way that we would be seeing either of them live.
What on earth is your point?
King Lindsay is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2003, 09:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: this celluloid dream
Posts: 4,078
                     
Listen, you guys have to understand that they are actually in a tough situation here. If ESPN had to televise the whole tournament live, then most of it would air in the early hours of the morning on the west Coast, which means nobody would see it and ratings would tank badly. luckily, the women's semifinals will start late enough so that they can show it live at a half-reasonable hour on the west coast.

there are a lot of reasons to criticize ESPN, but this isn't one of them because some tape delaying is necessary.
King Lindsay is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2003, 12:26 AM
Senior Member
 
TennisHack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sjengster's loving arms
Posts: 3,729
                     
Hmm, I wonder if a flood of emails had anything to do with this . . .

Quote:
"We're trying to paint the most dramatic story of the matches that are of most interest to American fans in the window that will reach the most viewers," DeLuca told Tennis Week. "The bottom line is what we're trying to do is show the tennis players most interesting to the American audience and show most of their action to try to maximize the tennis fans' enjoyment of the French Open as well as maximize our audience. And as we've done in the past, most notably with Andy Roddick's Australian Open quarterfinal win over Younes El Aynaoui, we will go live when there is a dramatic match or story to be told. Our advantage as a sport network is we can do that."
So American fan = fan who likes Americans? I don't think so.

The situation with the Australian Open is different. Australia is almost 24 hours ahead of the US's time zones, so of course everything's on tape delay. But Paris is not as far away so it's ridiculous to give that as an excuse. I can pretty much tell you that the only people willing to get up at five oclock in the fucking morning to watch tennis are more than casual fans.

Also, does anyone remember last year, when play was washed out for a whole day and the men's quarterfinals, I believe it was, were shown live? That was at 5 am EST time. ESPN came on the air to show live tennis from Paris, time damned. Suddenly they can't do that anymore?


Quote:
Asked why the network didn't pick up the live feed of some late-round matches and then rebroadcast them in their entirety later in the day, DeLuca said simultaneous action on adjacent courts forces a programming decision.

"It's not unlike covering the Olympics in Europe," DeLuca said. "In the Olympics you'll see events on tape delay when more than one important event is going on simultaneously. Similarly what we're trying to do is build to the best moment and when we can give our viewers the best moment live we've done so in many cases. We telecast (the fourth round match between) Costa and Clement live and then Kuerten and Robredo took us off the air. They were happening simultaneously on different courts so in order to best serve the viewer we showed one live and went to the other match afterward."
That's a load of horseshit and he knows it. THAT'S the day they promised to show Ferrero-Mantilla then didn't. The Costa-Clement match was boring as hell and sucked up over half the coverage time alloted.

Quote:
"There are no formulas, the key is what is in the best interest of the tennis viewers," DeLuca said. "Yes, fans can go get a score off the Internet, but we think the American tennis fans are intelligent enough to want to see these matches as well as some of the outstanding features our production team has produced. This is nothing new. It is the same way tennis and the Olympics have been covered in the past."
"outstanding features our production team has produced"?! Listen, jerk, we don't give a rat's ass how you show the tennis, we just want to see the damn match.

Quote:
When Roland Garros ends, ESPN will move on to London to begin preparations for its Wimbledon coverage. ESPN and ESPN2 will offer nearly 120 original hours of programming of the 2003 Wimbledon Championships — the most dedicated to the event by any American network in history. Coverage will be highlighted by one men's and one women's semifinal match.

The addition of Wimbledon means ESPN, for the first time, will telecast three of the four Grand Slam events. In 2003, ESPN will program more than 500 hours of tennis coverage (an increase of 18 percent over 2002 and 45 percent over 2001).
God help us all.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
http://tennishack12.bravepages.com/main.html
http://www.thetenniscult.mirrorz.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AnnaLenaGroenefeld/

Kim Clijsters, 2005 US Open Champion!

TH Online: Kim tribute - and photos! - now up
TennisHack is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2003, 12:28 AM
Senior Member
 
TennisHack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sjengster's loving arms
Posts: 3,729
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lindsay
If ESPN had to televise the whole tournament live, then most of it would air in the early hours of the morning on the west Coast, which means nobody would see it and ratings would tank badly.
Well damn, glad to know all the American tennis fans are concentrated into one time zone.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
http://tennishack12.bravepages.com/main.html
http://www.thetenniscult.mirrorz.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AnnaLenaGroenefeld/

Kim Clijsters, 2005 US Open Champion!

TH Online: Kim tribute - and photos! - now up
TennisHack is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2003, 12:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Mayfield
Posts: 16,845
                     
They have not explained why a tape of the lopsided Clijsters-Martinez contest was deemed to be more compelling than Chanda Rubin, an American's, live match against Henin-Hardenne.

These crap explanations make me gag. Can you imagine them approaching the British Open (golf) this way? They'd be crucified! But they justify it by saying tennis fans are used to this treatment! Oh please.
auntie janie is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2003, 02:11 AM
Senior Member
 
selesfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,162
                     
USA network never had a hard time showing live tennis, neither did TNT or HBO, its just ESPN and NBC that has a hard time showing live tennis.
selesfan is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2003, 02:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Greenout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Abroad with a passport
Posts: 16,036
                     
What's the big deal in the USA about televising
"live" sporting events from other countries!!!

I'm an American by the way. Over here in Singapore
they televise all the stuff "live" Oscars, football,
Formula one, Grandslams, even if it's on a 9am on a
week day or 2:30am on a week night. What they
do is a primetime rebroadcast later on in the day
for everyone who was a work or school. They understand
that it's an event to show things as it happens "live".
No one is trying to deceive anyone here.
Greenout is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2003, 02:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 7,804
                     
anton is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome