Madrid R2: Halep and her aces def. Arruabarrena 6-4 6-4 - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 5,788
                     
Re: Madrid R2: Halep and her aces def. Arruabarrena 6-4 6-4

Lara won a new fan today She might not be the most talented player in the world, but it's clear she works really hard and she is very elegant on court. Great fight.
Simona was far from being good, besides her serve, but the difference is still too big between these two.
Eldest is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Rican In The Burgh
 
charmedRic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Yinzer Land
Posts: 35,997
                     
Re: Madrid R2: Halep and her aces def. Arruabarrena 6-4 6-4

keep on going Simona!

TT Singles: 2014 SF: Bogota, New Braunfels. 2013 F: Las Vegas, SF: Orlando, Sibenik.
TT Doubles: 2014 W: Trnava w PinkTape. 2013 W: St Martin, Orlando, Sibenik, Charlottesville, Nantes-YEC all w Soliloque; Lexington w DJDVD.
charmedRic is offline  
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2014, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Azinovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nusantara
Posts: 2,078
                     
Re: Madrid R2: Halep def. Arruabarrena 6-4 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomplayer89 View Post
Well, Simo did say that's the shot she's been working to improve. And it's showing. And she's not rolling in her first serve, she's actually hitting it. And in today's match, she did well defending her second serve, winning 61% of those points, compared to just 58% on her first serve. And, she had no DFs. When's the last time that's happened for Simona? Serving certainly wasn't her achilles heel today.

She just sprayed a lot of errors, maybe trying to be a bit too aggressive.
I wonder if she dare to do that against a better opponent than the one she got today.

~ Ana ~
~ Sveta ~
~ Zhang ~

Are you from Indonesia? Join us in this Facebook group.
Indonesian Tennis Fans
Azinovic is online now  
post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,138
                     
Re: Madrid R2: Halep and her aces def. Arruabarrena 6-4 6-4

Keep going.

Rest in peace, Elena.
TennisGhost is offline  
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6,820
                     
Re: Madrid R2: Halep def. Arruabarrena 6-4 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by azizy View Post
I wonder if she dare to do that against a better opponent than the one she got today.
If she's physically able, I don't see why she shouldn't. She should use it as a weapon to get the upper-hand in points. She serves quite well for her size, as opposed to someone like Domi who constantly struggles to hold serve.
phantomplayer89 is offline  
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2014, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Azinovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nusantara
Posts: 2,078
                     
Re: Madrid R2: Halep def. Arruabarrena 6-4 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomplayer89 View Post
If she's physically able, I don't see why she shouldn't. She should use it as a weapon to get the upper-hand in points. She serves quite well for her size, as opposed to someone like Domi who constantly struggles to hold serve.
She's just testing the water, it's pretty much a new area for her.

~ Ana ~
~ Sveta ~
~ Zhang ~

Are you from Indonesia? Join us in this Facebook group.
Indonesian Tennis Fans
Azinovic is online now  
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Ollie.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 16,064
                     
Re: Madrid R2: Halep and her aces def. Arruabarrena 6-4 6-4

Great serving from Simona, haide!

Great fight from Larita.
Ollie. is offline  
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2014, 10:19 PM
Senior Member
 
GoofyDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Down on the West Coast
Posts: 30,748
                     
Re: Madrid R2: Halep and her aces def. Arruabarrena 6-4 6-4

Congrats Simona

Official Guardian and Delphinium of the Forbidden Flower Kingdom

Jelena Jankovic - Vera Zvonareva - Zhang Shuai - Duan Ying-Ying - Venus Williams - Petra Kvitova - Zheng Jie - Li Na - Serena Williams - Peng Shuai - Hsieh Su-Wei
GoofyDuck is offline  
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2015, 09:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Cristian Gulldén's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Goldden Land
Posts: 10,089
                     
Re: Madrid R2: Halep def. Arruabarrena 6-4 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLovesWTA View Post
Wim

I guess this is her best performance at the serve.

BELLA GULLDEN


Best Playmaker in the World of Handball
Cristian Gulldén is offline  
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2015, 10:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Evan86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,608
                     
Re: Madrid R2: Halep def. Arruabarrena 6-4 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeKo View Post
Wim

I guess this is her best performance at the serve.
With Wim, she won 2 tournaments in 10 months. Without him, she has won 3 in 3 months, one being a PM. Good riddance!
Evan86 is offline  
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2015, 10:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Cristian Gulldén's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Goldden Land
Posts: 10,089
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan86 View Post
With Wim, she won 2 tournaments in 10 months. Without him, she has won 3 in 3 months, one being a PM. Good riddance!
Yes, that's correct. But I don't think the coach was the reason why she won 3 titles in 3 months. With Fissette her serve was improving a lot, there were signs of improvement. The only improvement I see this year is her fighting spirit and mental strength but I think that's Cahill's hand. He is a very good mental coach, he wasn't around at Australian Open unfortunately. I think he helped a lot in that department. I still think the reason why she works with Ionita is the language, she finds it easier to communicate with a Romanian coach.

BELLA GULLDEN


Best Playmaker in the World of Handball
Cristian Gulldén is offline  
post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2015, 10:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 492
                     
Re: Madrid R2: Halep and her aces def. Arruabarrena 6-4 6-4

Since Dubai she never practice serves due to injury/recovery time. Her serve speed and percentage are showing that.
absolude is offline  
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2015, 11:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Evan86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,608
                     
Re: Madrid R2: Halep and her aces def. Arruabarrena 6-4 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeKo View Post
Yes, that's correct. But I don't think the coach was the reason why she won 3 titles in 3 months. With Fissette her serve was improving a lot, there were signs of improvement. The only improvement I see this year is her fighting spirit and mental strength but I think that's Cahill's hand. He is a very good mental coach, he wasn't around at Australian Open unfortunately. I think he helped a lot in that department. I still think the reason why she works with Ionita is the language, she finds it easier to communicate with a Romanian coach.
No, Simona became a pusher in a lot of matches last year after Doha. I don't know if that is related to Fissette or not but it's true. Her BHDTL was MIA and she couldn't close a point at the net if her life depended on it. This year, her BHDTL has been in full force, her finishing of the points at the net got a lot better and she already won 3 tournaments. And besides, her serve after Madrid was very up and down, it's not like she served great throughout the year. So no, I am definitely not sad Wim is gone, the Ionita - Cahill duo is perfect for Simona.
Evan86 is offline  
post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2015, 01:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Cristian Gulldén's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Goldden Land
Posts: 10,089
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan86 View Post
No, Simona became a pusher in a lot of matches last year after Doha. I don't know if that is related to Fissette or not but it's true. Her BHDTL was MIA and she couldn't close a point at the net if her life depended on it. This year, her BHDTL has been in full force, her finishing of the points at the net got a lot better and she already won 3 tournaments. And besides, her serve after Madrid was very up and down, it's not like she served great throughout the year. So no, I am definitely not sad Wim is gone, the Ionita - Cahill duo is perfect for Simona.
But she became a pusher this year too in certain situations. Miami is the last tournament with Cahill, he won't travel. I liked her BHDL last year, I mean it was when everyone started to praise it. Regarding the net play, I can't see any difference. She is still not friendly with the net. Madrid was when her serve peaked, sure she had ups and downs, but her serve seemed better last year. She hit 9 aces in this match and 8 against Kvitova.

BELLA GULLDEN


Best Playmaker in the World of Handball
Cristian Gulldén is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome