Lleyton vs ATP...Pulls out of Barcelona...now Rome! - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2003, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 22,197
                     
Lleyton vs ATP...Pulls out of Barcelona...now Rome!

**Updated on 4/15/03**

Well, looks like it's going to be a long summer, folks

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tennis-Embattled Hewitt pulls out of ATP event
Tue Apr 15, 8:37 AM ET

By Ossian Shine

LONDON, April 15 (Reuters) - World number one Lleyton Hewitt has pulled out of next week's Barcelona Open -- just hours after threatening to sue the tournament's overseers -- the player's management said on Tuesday.



The news of the Australian's withdrawal from the Spanish claycourt event comes after it was revealed he could be set to sue the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) for 2.5 million Australian dollars ($1.51 million).


Hewitt's agents at Octagon said he would miss the Barcelona event because the player's doctor has advised that he continue to take several weeks rest following two tournament wins in the U.S. on hard courts in March at Scottsdale and Indian Wells and Australia's quarter-final Davis Cup victory in Sweden earlier this month.


Hewitt also technically withdrew from the ATP Masters Series event that is being held in Monte Carlo this week.


"Lleyton was forced to withdraw from an event that was never included in his schedule this year," Hewitt's representative, Tom Ross of Octagon, said referring to Monte Carlo.


"The ATP automatically enters all top players in Masters Series events, regardless of their individual intentions."


Hewitt's schedule does include ATP events in Rome and Hamburg next month in the lead-up to the French Open (news - web sites), which begins in Paris on May 26.


NEW LOW


His relationship with the organisers of men's tennis hit a new low earlier on Tuesday with the world number one threatening to sue the governing body for allegedly damaging his reputation.


The threat, reported in Sydney's Daily Telegraph newspaper, involved Hewitt's legal team telling the ATP they will sue for A$2.5 million (US$1.5 million) unless they agree to drop a fine imposed on him for failing to do a television interview last year.


Hewitt alleges the ATP breached its contract with him and defamed him in media statements. He also claims the ATP "intentionally and without justification" interfered in his business affairs by withholding part of his prizemoney.


Hewitt's lawyers said they would begin proceedings in the South Australian Supreme Court in June unless the matter can be resolved privately.


Hewitt, 22, was fined US$106,000 for failing to attend a television interview shortly before he was due to play a match in Cincinnati last year.


The fine was reduced to US$20,000 on appeal in January.


The ATP confirmed that it had received "

BARBIE
is coming for your towel, too.



Keys
MakarovaBeguKasatkinaGavrilovaBarthelAllertovaPutintsevaKrisPliskovaKhromacheva
SmitkovaTownsendAbandaPuchkova


Last edited by Tennis Fool; Apr 29th, 2003 at 11:45 PM.
Tennis Fool is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2003, 01:27 AM
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter
 
Sam L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Shangri-La
Posts: 35,524
                     
This is the most preposterous thing I have ever heard. He'll be suing the organisation that puts bread and butter on his table. Anyway, whatever, I hope he loses.
Sam L is offline  
post #3 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2003, 01:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 8,950
                     
i thought it was $2.5 million? maybe i heard it wrong. i think this will really hurt his rep and probaqbly screw up australian tennis. at the moment the mens tennis is the big thing in australia and hewitt being #1 means he gets most of the attention and this will cause us to suffer. less youngsters will play and we will miss out on some good players.

i don't really get why he is doing consideriing that he has a lot of money already.

i don't think it is right what the atp did but hewitt doesn't need the money so why try and get it? and to bring it up so much time after the incident occurred is doesn't really help, it just makes him look more stupid.

i hope everyone can get over this as soon as possible for the sake of the game. may i reiterate that it is just a GAME so why do these things always get in the way? they should just be left alone imo.
Gowza is offline  
post #4 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2003, 01:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 2,175
 
Its $2.5 mil. aussie dollars, which is US$1.5 million. I don't think its about money, its more about matter of priciple. Lleyton thinks he didn't do anything wrong in Cincy last year. He is not happy that they're asking him to pay US $20,000 fine for that. And there are other things that have contributed to his decision to sue the ATP. Perhaps monetary damages is the only thing he can sue them for. who knows?

This article will give you a better view of the situation.

HEWITT TO SUE TENNIS CHIEFS

EXCLUSIVE: By LEO SCHLINK
15apr03

WIMBLEDON champion Lleyton Hewitt has threatened multimillion-dollar legal action against the peak international men's tennis organisation for allegedly damaging his reputation.

Adelaide's world No 1 is believed to be demanding almost $2.5 million after he was fined an estimated $US106,000 ($A175,711) by the Association of Tennis Professionals.

The penalty – the largest levied on an Australian sportsman – was for failing to do an interview with American TV network ESPN in Cincinnati on August 6 last year. The original fine was reduced by the ATP to $US20,000 ($A33,153) on appeal but this did not satisfy Hewitt's concerns about the handling of the matter.

His father, Glynn, said yesterday the proposed court action was not about money but reputation.

"If the issue were money, Lleyton could have accepted one of the compromise offers made by the ATP prior to the appeal," Mr Hewitt said.

"It should be understood that the issue is, and always has been, about clearing Lleyton's name.

"In light of the appeal finding, we now have no choice but to proceed to the courts to safeguard Lleyton's rights, both in respect of this and other matters," Mr Hewitt said.

Lawyers acting for the 22-year-old have told the ATP proceedings will be issued in the South Australian Supreme Court in June unless the matter can be resolved privately.

Hewitt said last night he could not comment on the court action. The basis of the champion's claim are that the ATP acted unlawfully in withholding his prizemoney in Cincinnati, where he was beaten in the final by Spaniard Carlos Moya.

Hewitt alleges the ATP breached its contract with him and also defamed him in media statements.

He also claims the ATP "intentionally and without justification" interfered in his business affairs.

The feud between Hewitt and some of the most powerful tennis administrators in the world has simmered since the ATP fined Hewitt half his prizemoney in Cincinnati for not doing the interview.

Hewitt insists he was prepared to do the interview and asked an ATP staff member to tell ESPN.

Hewitt appealed against the violation in November and the ATP reduced the fine to $US20,000 on January 14. Mr Hewitt said he and his son were "disappointed but not surprised" the ATP had reduced its original fine – a fact the ATP has not disclosed, citing confidentiality.

"If the ATP believes that a reduction of over 80 per cent of the amount of the fine will satisfy our concerns at the attitude adopted by the ATP or its handling of this matter, it is mistaken," he said.

"We remain of the view that there was no proper basis for any action to be taken or fine to be levied by the ATP." The US Open winner and Davis Cup spearhead claims his conduct in Cincinnati did not breach his contract with the ATP, nor the provisions of the STARS program, which obliges leading players to perform a specified number of promotional and media duties.

Hewitt alleges there was not a "reasonable investigation to determine the facts" regarding his alleged refusal to do the interview.

Hewitt and coach Jason Stoltenberg claim he was willing to do the interview and had told officials as much.

Hewitt claims the appeal hearing in New York on November 6-7 "did not comply with the rules of natural justice".

It is understood Hewitt believes he was defamed in a number of statements to the media by ATP chief executive officer Mark Miles and other ATP representatives. Hewitt could also present evidence on unrelated issues claiming:

HE was blackmailed with "deliberate and malicious manipulation" of the wild card system to undertake a medical examination in Miami.

THE ATP had sent an unidentified representative to Hewitt's hotel in Zurich "requesting him to sign a form refusing to do a drug test".

THE ATP had demanded Hewitt be interviewed for a soft porn magazine.

The ATP declined yesterday to comment on the issue.

Because of his disaffection with the ATP, Hewitt has thrown his support behind the fledgling International Mens' Tennis Association, which is seeking a stronger player voice in the running of men's tennis.

Hewitt's frustration with the ATP has led him to follow a lighter tournament schedule, endangering his almost two-year reign as world No 1.

Last edited by lleytnkim; Apr 15th, 2003 at 01:53 AM.
lleytnkim is offline  
post #5 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2003, 02:29 AM
Senior Member
 
tennischick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: cerca de aquí
Posts: 5,730
                     
wow. i'm sure that the ATP is missing the days when the compliant android ruled...

"For now, Roddick seems to play with the intelligence of a fence post."
Greg Couch, Chicago Sun Times
tennischick is offline  
post #6 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2003, 02:35 AM
Senior Member
 
DutchieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: my own Dutchie world
Posts: 152,959
                     
Go Lleyton! ATP suck!

And btw, Wayne Ferreira is supposed to have something to do with the setting up of the other Mens Tennis body. And if Wayne thinks there's something wrong with the ATP, then there most probably IS!

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...10/sheadam.jpg

She & Him @ Melkweg "The Max", Amsterdam 6th May 2010
DutchieGirl is offline  
post #7 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2003, 02:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: this celluloid dream
Posts: 4,078
                     
Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Lleyton's always been a brat, but this is insanity. I hope this actually does go to court, I'd love to hear both sides present their sides of the story.

When did this story break? I thought it would be pretty big news that the world #1 is suing the very organization he is #1 of.
King Lindsay is offline  
post #8 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2003, 02:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 8,950
                     
King Lindsay, it happened at wimbledon last year.
Gowza is offline  
post #9 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2003, 02:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: sydney
Posts: 6,145
                     
On the surface, it looks a little petty, but if they truley feel he didnt deserve to be fined, I udnerstand them wanting to fight the fine..

". i think this will really hurt his rep and probaqbly screw up australian tennis. at the moment the mens tennis is the big thing in australia and hewitt being #1 means he gets most of the attention and this will cause us to suffer. less youngsters will play and we will miss out on some good players" -

thats just silly - you actually think a 7 year old who likes tennis is gonna say "dad I dont want to play tennis anymore, lleyton is suiing the ATP"??? Of course not.

Go Lleyton, your a legend!!
Philbo is offline  
post #10 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2003, 02:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: this celluloid dream
Posts: 4,078
                     
Gowza .... no, it didn't. Whatever are you talking about, man? I want to know when the story broke that Lleyton is planning a lawsuit against the ATP. That did not happen at Wimbledon.
King Lindsay is offline  
post #11 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2003, 02:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 8,950
                     
sorry, i thought you meant when did the incident happen, not when he planned a lawsuit.

first i heard of it was yesterday.
Gowza is offline  
post #12 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2003, 02:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: this celluloid dream
Posts: 4,078
                     
Quite okay. Thanks for answering the question.

Btw, the incident occurred at Cincinnati.
King Lindsay is offline  
post #13 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2003, 03:18 AM
Senior Member
 
TennisHack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sjengster's loving arms
Posts: 3,729
                     
Well, if you're going to try to steal my thunder from the ATP forum, you could at least rope in my boy Sjengster, too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lleytnkim
THE ATP had demanded Hewitt be interviewed for a soft porn magazine.
LMAO . . . in what lifetime?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
http://tennishack12.bravepages.com/main.html
http://www.thetenniscult.mirrorz.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AnnaLenaGroenefeld/

Kim Clijsters, 2005 US Open Champion!

TH Online: Kim tribute - and photos! - now up
TennisHack is offline  
post #14 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2003, 03:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: this celluloid dream
Posts: 4,078
                     
Tennishack, lol, I saw that and was actually like, "hey, maybe lleyton was being mistreated," but now i realize that Magazine was probably Playboy or something like that. LOL, I highly doubt they wanted him exposed in said softporn magazine, just one of the interviews to go with the ladies. cuz you know, that's why people read those mags. The articles.
King Lindsay is offline  
post #15 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2003, 03:26 AM
Senior Member
 
TennisHack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sjengster's loving arms
Posts: 3,729
                     
Oh, but KL, I'm sure the ATP demanded Potatoman interview with said "softcore" magazine (there's actually a debate about what "softcore porn" actually means in the other thread in the ATP forum).

Those miscreants.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
http://tennishack12.bravepages.com/main.html
http://www.thetenniscult.mirrorz.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AnnaLenaGroenefeld/

Kim Clijsters, 2005 US Open Champion!

TH Online: Kim tribute - and photos! - now up
TennisHack is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome