My outside-the-top-200 playasport player beat the world #1 - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2003, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Scotso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 47,044
                     
My outside-the-top-200 playasport player beat the world #1

6-4 7-5, I think it was.

before this I thought that nothing like it could be done, but she did it, and got some nice bonus points as a result... 106 in the world now.

and my other player is now in the top 100.

It's amazing all this has happened at once. So much for the top ten thinking they can easily win tier 5s


Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2003, 12:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,315
                     
Monica Clijsatini beat the world #10, #50, and #57 today, and entered the top 100 in doing it. Now #85, and still only 23 years old. I think there is definitely a "hidden stat" that makes some players either superior or inferior at their inception. Monica has a good hidden stat, my original player has a bad one.

You have to answer for Santino, Carlo.
disposablehero is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2003, 12:11 AM
Professional Cynic
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: right here
Posts: 3,166
 
Well done

My players had won 8 titles by this stage of last season. This season they have won 2

There must be some hidden stat. One of my players has a high rank of 235 and generally hovers around 300, whereas the others have high rankings of between 61 and 115 and are usually around 120 and they have all been playing for the same amount of time
geewhiz is offline  
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2003, 12:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,315
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz
There must be some hidden stat. One of my players has a high rank of 235 and generally hovers around 300, whereas the others have high rankings of between 61 and 115 and are usually around 120 and they have all been playing for the same amount of time
My Monica Clijsatini has way overperformed, but it was croat's Iva Majoli that made it obvious. To win a Tier I as an 18 year old is all but impossible, and her results afterward continued to be far too good to be logical.

You have to answer for Santino, Carlo.
disposablehero is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2003, 12:25 AM
Professional Cynic
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: right here
Posts: 3,166
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposablehero
My Monica Clijsatini has way overperformed, but it was croat's Iva Majoli that made it obvious. To win a Tier I as an 18 year old is all but impossible, and her results afterward continued to be far too good to be logical.
Yeah, I saw that. Their points distribution doesn't look that different to anyone else's, apart from their surface specialism which is carpet and not many people have that. Perhaps Croat will share the secret

That thing with having 0 points for a surface and it not making a single bit of difference really annoys me

Last edited by geewhiz; Apr 11th, 2003 at 12:39 AM.
geewhiz is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2003, 12:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Mateo Mathieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Cockatoo Island
Posts: 60,034
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz
Yeah, I saw that. Their points distribution doesn't look that different to anyone else's, apart from their surface specialism which is carpet and not many people have that. That thing with having 0 points for a surface and it not making a single bit of difference really annoys me
Me too! LOL!


Inspiration is for amateurs


Faves: Mona Barthel / Samantha Stosur / Roberta Vinci
Mateo Mathieu is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2003, 03:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Crazy Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Munchkin Land
Posts: 28,511
                     
Congrats... I decided a while ago that playasport was crap and stopped playing, but glad to see that somebody is having some success with it

I agree with that "hidden stat" bit... in a way that actually makes sense, seeing as in the real world you either have talent, or you don't, and those with talent usually win more even when they don't work as hard (on the WTA, that is).
Crazy Canuck is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2003, 03:38 AM
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
 
AjdeNate!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: The City by the Lake.
Posts: 49,162
                     
I practiced everyday and applied my points, and added them in such a strategic way. I entered my tournaments with great thought, and hoped for the best. ..... But after many months of my bitch losing in qualifying round 1 or 2, I've decided that she has a fucked up leg or something. So, I don't practice for like about 2 months. Didn't even sign on to look, I didn't care. Well, the stupid twat won a challenge event and is now making QF/SF all over the place - granted it's all crap events, but still.

Moral of the story: if your bitch is broke down, let her be and she'll start winning.
AjdeNate! is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2003, 03:42 AM
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
 
AjdeNate!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: The City by the Lake.
Posts: 49,162
                     
I didn't look at my player's result this 'year'... so I did. After winning her first 2 rounds of quallies in event 1.... she has now lost 9 straight matches. Yeah, you go...
AjdeNate! is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2003, 03:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Vincent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Martinaland
Posts: 10,890
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seles
I practiced everyday and applied my points, and added them in such a strategic way. I entered my tournaments with great thought, and hoped for the best. ..... But after many months of my bitch losing in qualifying round 1 or 2, I've decided that she has a fucked up leg or something. So, I don't practice for like about 2 months. Didn't even sign on to look, I didn't care. Well, the stupid twat won a challenge event and is now making QF/SF all over the place - granted it's all crap events, but still.

Moral of the story: if your bitch is broke down, let her be and she'll start winning.
that's funny and HOW TRUE!
The playasport.com is really crap

Martina Hingis



.
Vincent is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2003, 04:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: On The Road Less Travelled...
Posts: 631
                     
I agree with the hidden stat theory as well...I bet in works on an random number generator or such...I'm just curious how many skill points #1 had...it must have been all 100's huh?

Brion got me addicted last year...and he ceased playing...I'm not going to give up...but once my girls (Maggie Maleeva & Valda Lake) are retired...I'm quitting...Its kinda tedious going every day to train...

Good Luck All!

Also...remember two months back when they added all those new Tier V's? Two guys got lucky and were the only ones in the draw in the first one...I think the guy who won was ranked in the 800's!

"I wouldn't even stoop so low as to get even with a wacky character like you!"
Valda Lake is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Senior Member
 
zut16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Singapore
Posts: 419
                     
I think Playasport has a random generator on when players slump....

My player Sophie Dechaume was consistently ranked outside the top 100 for several seasons until recently when she was was high as 12 while my other player Marta Williams who was in the top 100 for several seasons exited the top 100 at about the same time Sophie entered and went outside top 200 even with good stats....

Marta just reached final of charleston and she's had a pretty consistent year.... playasport I think just tries to even things out among the players.... I bet there's a random generator on whether your player is having an off day or not.... just trying to make it more realistic I suppose.....

The Reigning Queens: Serena Williams, Justine Henin, Venus Williams

Salutes: Elena Dementieva, Tatiana Golovin, Shahar Peer, Jelena Jankovic, Ana Ivanovic

I adore Kate Bush, Tori Amos, Fiona Apple, PJ Harvey, Nellie Mckay, Rufus Wainwright, Cat Power, Norah Jones, Rachael Yamagata and Christina Aguilera!

My avatar is of Louise Van Brussels from Australia's Next Top Model. She's smoking hot!
zut16 is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2003, 12:18 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
matthias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 95,568
                     
i reached the top1000 last week

matthias is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2003, 01:31 PM
Keeper of Venus & Serena
 
VSFan1 aka Joshua L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 27,118
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valda Lake
I agree with the hidden stat theory as well...I bet in works on an random number generator or such...I'm just curious how many skill points #1 had...it must have been all 100's huh?

Brion got me addicted last year...and he ceased playing...I'm not going to give up...but once my girls (Maggie Maleeva & Valda Lake) are retired...I'm quitting...Its kinda tedious going every day to train...

Good Luck All!

Also...remember two months back when they added all those new Tier V's? Two guys got lucky and were the only ones in the draw in the first one...I think the guy who won was ranked in the 800's!
That was my player, Dewonder Davis she made the final, but didn't win. It was only her 2nd event, lol!

She got up to #450 but once those points came off the next year, she fell back to around #1000.


Loves of my life....
Venus Ebone Starr Williams
Serena Jamica Williams
a lifelong and devoted fan since 1996

Official Life Coach of the Royal Court
VSFan1 aka Joshua L. is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2003, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Scotso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 47,044
                     
I agree.

Anjelica, the one that beat the #1 seed, beat him on hardcourt, where she should suck. But she also made a tier 1 semifinal this year on hard. The only place she's impressive? She was 100 for carpet. It seems to help her perform much better on hardcourts, too, though.


Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome