Here is a post from my messageboard, not by me:
I am not a tennis coach, I don't even play, I only know what I learned through watching many matches.
And I have watched Babsi a few times, both in practice and matches. What I know about her is:
1) She has a very good serve, it's powerful and she places it well.
2) she has very good groundstrokes, powerful and well placed.
3) She moves well on court
4) She is fit
5) She handles power very well, I've seen her returning Serena's shot with no problems.
6) She has decent volleys and good variety, can hit a slice backhand when needed, or a dropshot.
Now, what's her problem? he is clearly not playing at to her potential, we have only seen glimpses of her real potential in the last couple of years (like Montreal last year).
Well, I saw her losing to Myriam Casanova and I noticed a few things.
1) She is too impatient and emotional on court. When things don't go her way she gets very upset and that obviously affects her game. If she misses an easy shot for example, she gets upset and will probably miss the next 3 or 4 points. Every player has easy misses in a match and they just regroup and play the next point.
2) confidence, obviously it's low and it obviously affects her game negatively. I understand it's very difficult to be confident when the results are not coming but she needs to focus on herself, she knows better than anyone what her level, strenghts and weaknesses are, and she knows she is better than many of the player that have beaten her.
3) The most important point, shot selection - game tactic/strategy. This is the point where Babsi is IMO very bad, she reminds me a little bit of Anna in that respect. For example against Casanova, I saw a lot of points where Babsi built up the point beautifully, got a short ball and she only needed to put it away; Casanova was standing on one side of the court and instead of hitting a safe ball to the other side (especially considering Casanova's lack of mobility) she hit the ball to where Casanova was standing. Of course, to win the point that way she needed to hit a fantastic shot, result, either the ball came back or she missed it and lost a point she should have won. That happened many times in the match, different circumnstances but same pattern, poor shot selection.
She needs to work on that, confidence and mental strenght will come when she does start winning, but to win she needs to take advantage of the winning positions. She needs to play safer, she is hit the ball away from her opponents, she doesn't need to paint the lines.
She needs to adapt her game to the opponent. If she faces Casanova, with bad mobility, she needs to try to move her around, that's a very bad tactic against Serena, or Justine who are very fast. She needs to have an strategy before the match starts.
She is still young and has no physical problems, stays relatively injury free and has a few year ahead. She also works hard, but I think she needs to work smarter and the results will come.