"Clijster's Domination", which player is ready to stop it now? - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2003, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: b/n 1 & 3
Posts: 3,628
 
Question "Clijster's Domination", which player is ready to stop it now?

[Notice that it took great pain not to spell kim's name as "Kimberly"]
[Notice #2 (added for Angele): No bashing of kim allowed in this thread]

Background material: Kim Clijsters - She is blitzing through draws (even if some of them are ridiculously easy), tearing apart her opponents, and winning titles after titles (I am almost sure she will win IW). So far, she have played 24 matches this year (including hopman cup) and won 20 of them. In 2003, she has only one hiccup, that is, loss to a player ranked below her. She has reached the semis of all and the final of 3 of the tourneys she has played this year. She has beat three of the current top tenners (in straight sets too): Justine and Chanda twice, and Lindsay once. To summerize, she is the second player dominating the tour (the first one being Serena).

Reason for creating this thread: I wasn't a believer, now I became one. When poster after poster claimed that "domination" is boring, I closed my eyes and said no way (basically, b/c previously only my faves were dominating). But, now I am a convert. I realized domination is boring, , ZZZzzz, etc. It stifels the excitment out of the tour. I want competition now (unless my faves are playing).

Questions:

1)Do you think is there any player ranked below Kim which might be able to stop her seemingly unstoppable momentum? Or is she invincible now?
2)Is it too early to talk about the "Kim domination" now? Should we give her time until she plays against the other top tenners (such as Jennifer, Amelie, Daniela, Jelena, Monica) before we talk about her domination?
3)Is it time for the reporters to stop torturing players ranked below #3 with questions like, "How are you going to stop the Williams' domination?" and start torturing them with question like, "how will you be able to stop the "Kim domination"?
4)Or do you think the "Lleykim domination" will be generate more interest for both for ATP and WTA tours and so should be encouraged?

Last edited by eta psi; Mar 16th, 2003 at 01:10 AM.
Hulet is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2003, 01:04 AM
Senior Member
 
angele87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 15,226
                     
Why did you start this thread?? As I write this there are no replies but I can tell that it's just going to turn into a let's bash Kim thread or a Venus and Serena are far superior to Kim thread... we have tons of those so enough already!!!

Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret. - Ambrose Bierce

There is no saint without a past, and no sinner without a future. - Shri Haidakhan Babaji

Wisdom is the quality that keeps you from getting into situations where you need it. - Doug Larson

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
angele87 is offline  
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2003, 01:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Crazy Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Munchkin Land
Posts: 28,568
                     
Quote:
Reason for creating this thread: I wasn't a believer, now I became one. When poster after poster claimed that "domination" is boring, I closed my eyes and said no way (basically, b/c previously only my faves were dominating). But, now I am a convert. I realized domination is boring, , ZZZzzz, etc. It stifels the excitment out of the tour. I want competition now (unless my faves are playing).
I agree, and this is why I don't root for Kim or either Williams Sister, regardless of my personal feelings for the 3.
Crazy Canuck is offline  
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2003, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: b/n 1 & 3
Posts: 3,628
 
Angele, I think I gave the reason for starting the thread. I am seriously curious who which player has the talent to stop her unstoppable momentum. I see how you might consider it as a bashing thread (given my past history and the recent trend in this forum wrt Kim) but believe me it is not. I just would like peoples to respond to the questions. May be I should discourage others from bashing Kim in my original post.
Hulet is offline  
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2003, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: b/n 1 & 3
Posts: 3,628
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca
I agree, and this is why I don't root for Kim or either Williams Sister, regardless of my personal feelings for the 3.
Rebecca, I thought you were a Kim fan. How did I got that one wrong? Anyways, I don't mind if my faves dominate, but I don't want other to do so. Hypocrisy - I know, but I can't help it.
Hulet is offline  
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2003, 01:25 AM
Senior Member
 
angele87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 15,226
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by eta psi
Angele, I think I gave the reason for starting the thread. I am seriously curious who which player has the talent to stop her unstoppable momentum. I see how you might consider it as a bashing thread (given my past history and the recent trend in this forum wrt Kim) but believe me it is not. I just would like peoples to respond to the questions. May be I should discourage others from bashing Kim in my original post.
Thanks for adding the second notice

I actually don't remember reading many of your posts so if you were ( or weren't ) bashing Kim I have no idea so I never thought that you started this thread to bash Kim. I simply think that given the way people have been talking about Kim and about Serena and Venus in relation to Kim that this thread will eventually turn into a Serena and Venus are clearly better than Kim thread or a Kim can never dream of being number 1 or 2 thread and I just think we have enough of those already!

Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret. - Ambrose Bierce

There is no saint without a past, and no sinner without a future. - Shri Haidakhan Babaji

Wisdom is the quality that keeps you from getting into situations where you need it. - Doug Larson

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
angele87 is offline  
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2003, 01:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Crazy Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Munchkin Land
Posts: 28,568
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by eta psi
Rebecca, I thought you were a Kim fan. How did I got that one wrong? Anyways, I don't mind if my faves dominate, but I don't want other to do so. Hypocrisy - I know, but I can't help it.
No idea. I've never rooted for Kim, at least not since she got on a roll. I will root for her against Serena because Serena is the favourite, but I'm not heartbroken if she loses.

My favourite female player is likely Henin.
Crazy Canuck is offline  
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2003, 01:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Pietermaritzburg, South A
Posts: 595
                     
Kim has had some "bad" losses. I never think she has the match in her hand before she wins.
Sanneriet is offline  
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2003, 02:57 AM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Day-Dreaming
Posts: 7,874
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca
No idea. I've never rooted for Kim, at least not since she got on a roll. I will root for her against Serena because Serena is the favourite, but I'm not heartbroken if she loses.

My favourite female player is likely Henin.
Woohoo, Go Becca!

Anyway...

I think Henin is capable of beating clijsters, except she hasn't got it mentally agaisnt her right now....V & S obviously are still dominating Kim (if Kim fans don't like hearing this, too bad, don't read my post, go live in your fantasy worl where kim can consistently beath them....) I think Lindsay and Cappy are capable of beating Kim, but I don't think either would ever dominate their H2H or consistently beat her =P


"You Worry About Your Jump Rope and Yourself!" -Coral on Battle of the Sexes 2




Running for the cliff again...
Rtael is offline  
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2003, 03:06 AM
Senior Member
 
angele87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 15,226
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtael

V & S obviously are still dominating Kim (if Kim fans don't like hearing this, too bad, don't read my post, go live in your fantasy worl where kim can consistently beath them....)
We're not in denial... we don't think Kim is dominating the Williams Sisters and we don't think Kim is the real number one or anything like that. However, that fact doesn't need to be mentioned in every thread about Kim, especially threads like this one which have nothing to do with Venus or Serena.

Quote:
1)Do you think is there any player ranked below Kim which might be able to stop her seemingly unstoppable momentum? Or is she invincible now?
I thought we were the ones in denial about Kim being better than Venus and Serena I thought they were both ranked higher than Kim but.... *leaves in search of the rankings*

Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret. - Ambrose Bierce

There is no saint without a past, and no sinner without a future. - Shri Haidakhan Babaji

Wisdom is the quality that keeps you from getting into situations where you need it. - Doug Larson

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
angele87 is offline  
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2003, 03:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Hollywood and other classified areas
Posts: 7,125
                     
Davenport and Capriati should put a dent in the domination of Kim.

In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy the exciting domination of the game by V&S.

Tee Rexx
Chairman, Williams Tennis Association
Tennis is a game ... Have fun with it!
TeeRexx is offline  
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2003, 03:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 6,490
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by angele87
We're not in denial... we don't think Kim is dominating the Williams Sisters and we don't think Kim is the real number one or anything like that. However, that fact doesn't need to be mentioned in every thread about Kim, especially threads like this one which have nothing to do with Venus or Serena.
I couldn't agree more
Hawk is offline  
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2003, 05:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Dawn Marie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: North by Northwest
Posts: 15,257
                     
I agree with TeeRex, I think Jennifer, Lindsay and Momo oh and Ai of course can put a dent in her winning percentage.

Only after the last tree has been cut down
Only after the last river has been poisoned
Only after the last fish has been caught
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. "Cree Native American Prophecy"
Dawn Marie is offline  
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2003, 05:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Crazy Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Munchkin Land
Posts: 28,568
                     
If Amelie had been healthy the last 6 months, I don't believe that we would be having this conversation
Crazy Canuck is offline  
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2003, 05:37 AM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,109
                     
On current form, I say Kim is dominate, however if Lindsay can regain her top form as well as Jenny, I think it will become more of a battle. With Lindsay and Kim at 3 and 4...either order and J.Cap at 5.
WtaTour4Ever is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome