Maybe not the greatest of all time, but more than likely one of the best in OZ. At any rate, few semi finals, men or women, has been as intriguing.
Look at the basis of the intrigue:
1. Two black women in the semis.
2. The black women are siblings
3. The siblings are both Americans
4. The siblings are ranked #1 and #2
5. Their opponents are both from Belgium
6. Their opponents are both white
Some of the possible results of the semi finals are:
1. The WILLIAMS could play each other for the 5th time in a slam final (record for siblings)
2. VENUS & SERENA will have played one another for the 4th consecutive time in a GS final. (a record)
3. VENUS could be the first player to lose 4 straight GS titles to the same person (a record she and I do not want her to have).
4. SERENA could hold all 4 GS titles and have a Career Slam.
5. Two Belgian women could play one another in a Grand Slam for the first time ever.
6. A Belgian woman could have a GS title for the first time.
7. A woman could be the first to consecutively beat VENUS & SERENA in the semis and finals of one Grand Slam event. (Please no)
8. VENUS could win and thus create a WILLIAMS family Career Slam. (I hope so).
9. A Williams could be the first to beat a Belgian woman in both the semis and finals of a Grand Slam (Not bad).
Whew! That is a lot of possibilities that can come to fruition after tonight's semi final matches.
This is, possibly, a prelude to a very good tennis season that will, hopefully, produce at least one GS title each for VENUS & SERENA and maybe one for one of those pesky Belgians (just not this GS title).