Chris Evert: Agnieszka Radwanska will be a serious contender for French Open - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 85 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2013, 06:26 AM
Rise up from ignorance
 
Monzanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 13,321
                     
Re: Chris Evert: Agnieszka Radwanska will be a serious contender for French Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisation View Post
Why do people keep saying Aga's best surface is grass? Just because she was lucky and got to a fluke Wimbledon final doesn't mean it's her best surface.
It's the same when I said Stosur's best surface is clay based on her RG runs whereas her fanbase indicated it's not since she didn't even see clay until she was 14 or something. Martinez won Wimbledon and never RG but nobody would say she's better on grass than clay

I know a lot of TF members disagree with Evert on most things but really, she's got to be right on something

Maria Sharapova: Mind Over Matter
FITD: Winner - Portoroz 2010, Tashkent 2011, Istanbul YEC 2011; Suicide: Winner - Fes 2011, Memphis 2012, Nuernberg 2013, Sofia TOC 2013, Hobart 2015, Tianjin 2015
TT: Winner - (Singles) Tashkent 2012; ITF Macon 2016 (Doubles) - (w/Broseghini) Cuneo 100k '10; (w/Peek-A-Boo) Contrexeville 50k '10; (w/JustPetko) Bucharest 75k '10, Nantes 50k '10, Marbella '11, Washington '11, Linz '11, Istanbul YEC '11, Opole 25K '11, Pattaya City '12, Tashkent '12, Pune 125k '12, Memphis '13, Carlsbad '13, Marrakech '14, Washington '14, Hong Kong 25k '16
Monzanator is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 85 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Senior Member
 
adner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,590
                     
Re: Chris Evert: Agnieszka Radwanska will be a serious contender for French Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTennisFan View Post
:sigh:

You are missing my point.....
You tried to say that Errani "does better on clay". No, she doesn't.
adner is offline  
post #48 of 85 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2013, 06:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Simugna Help's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10,522
                     
Re: Chris Evert: Agnieszka Radwanska will be a serious contender for French Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTennisFan View Post
:sigh:

You are missing my point.....
I am not, it's just a side-comment.
Simugna Help is offline  
post #49 of 85 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2013, 06:33 AM
Senior Member
 
JCTennisFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,930
                     
Re: Chris Evert: Agnieszka Radwanska will be a serious contender for French Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by adner View Post
You tried to say that Errani "does better on clay". No, she doesn't.
Uh, actually I was making a note why Errani's gamestyle is better suited to clay than Aga's (she is able to produce more topspin).

Who has a better gamestyle for grass? Nadal or Federer (and if you say Nadal you are nuts...)?

Did Nadal not beat Federer on grass at Wimbledon in 2008? I rest my case.......
JCTennisFan is offline  
post #50 of 85 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,128
                     
Re: Chris Evert: Agnieszka Radwanska will be a serious contender for French Open

TBH, i think her game suits Clay, however, she has already given up on Clay even before it started.
dencod16 is offline  
post #51 of 85 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2013, 06:42 AM
Senior Member
 
adner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,590
                     
Re: Chris Evert: Agnieszka Radwanska will be a serious contender for French Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTennisFan View Post

Who has a better gamestyle for grass? Nadal or Federer (and if you say Nadal you are nuts...)?

Did Nadal not beat Federer on grass at Wimbledon in 2008? I rest my case.......
Just because I have a Polish flag next to my name doesn't mean that I am responsible for everything other Poles write
adner is offline  
post #52 of 85 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Senior Member
 
JCTennisFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,930
                     
Re: Chris Evert: Agnieszka Radwanska will be a serious contender for French Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by adner View Post
Just because I have a Polish flag next to my name doesn't mean that I am responsible for everything other Poles write
Uh.... what does that have to do with what you were just talking about?

I addressed YOU... not someone else.

I am fully aware that you are not aselto.....

Deflect much?
JCTennisFan is offline  
post #53 of 85 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Senior Member
 
adner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,590
                     
Re: Chris Evert: Agnieszka Radwanska will be a serious contender for French Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTennisFan View Post
Uh.... what does that have to do with what you were just talking about?

I addressed YOU... not someone else.

Deflect much?
I never mentioned any head to head issues between Aga and Errani. Therefore the Federer-Nadal grass comparison is not exactly relevant if that's me who you address? Obviously Federer is a better grass player, a better one than Nadal but does it change anything?
adner is offline  
post #54 of 85 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2013, 06:58 AM
Senior Member
 
JCTennisFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,930
                     
Re: Chris Evert: Agnieszka Radwanska will be a serious contender for French Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by adner View Post
I never mentioned any head to head issues between Aga and Errani. Therefore the Federer-Nadal grass comparison is not exactly relevant if that's me who you address? Obviously Federer is a better grass player, a better one than Nadal but does it change anything?
Wow do I have to break it down for you?

I mean really?

You may have not pointed out head to head issues but you tried to act as though Radwanska was the more effective clay player because Radwanska has more wins over top players on clay... which I said is debateable because Errani has not been near the top of the game nearly as long (thus she has had less time to collect as many wins against high ranking players on clay..)
and also produces more topspin which makes her game better suited to clay.

The example of Federer and Nadal was to demonstrate that a player who has a gamestyle that is less suited to a specific surface can still go on to beat a player who has a gamestyle better suited to the same surface.

Radwanska very well may have a better clay court record than Errani... but I would argue that is because Radwanska is a more capable player overall (IE she is simply more talented) as opposed to Radwanska having a clay game which is technically better than Errani's.

Last edited by JCTennisFan; Mar 10th, 2013 at 07:05 AM.
JCTennisFan is offline  
post #55 of 85 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2013, 07:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 141
                     
Re: Chris Evert: Agnieszka Radwanska will be a serious contender for French Open

Personally, I think that Radwanska could make a deep run at RG or even win with a good draw. Her style of play on paper should be a good suit for the clay however she can't just push! She needs to me more aggressive on clay to win.
MrJovani2293 is offline  
post #56 of 85 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Senior Member
 
JCTennisFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,930
                     
Re: Chris Evert: Agnieszka Radwanska will be a serious contender for French Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJovani2293 View Post
Personally, I think that Radwanska could make a deep run at RG or even win with a good draw. Her style of play on paper should be a good suit for the clay however she can't just push! She needs to me more aggressive on clay to win.
Without topspin or pace she will have a very hard time being aggressive.

The only other thing I can think of which would help her be aggressive is precision. If she can be precise enough to get her opponents off balance then she could potentially take control of the rallies.

Ultimately I don't think she has an imposing enough groundgame to really challenge the top girls at RG.

But as I said before RG has a habit of having the draw fall apart from time to time... and in that case Radwanska could potentially take advantage.

She certaintly won't be getting too far without some form of luck on her part, though (atleast not in my opinion...).
JCTennisFan is offline  
post #57 of 85 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Boxuan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 950
                     
Re: Chris Evert: Agnieszka Radwanska will be a serious contender for French Open

No. Clay court is not for retrievers, but for heavy hitters and top-spinners


┏┻━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓
┏┛李娜┣┫科娃┣┫郑洁┣┫伊万┣┫彭帅┣┫杨科┃
┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛
Boxuan is offline  
post #58 of 85 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Simugna Help's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10,522
                     
Re: Chris Evert: Agnieszka Radwanska will be a serious contender for French Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTennisFan View Post
Radwanska very well may have a better clay court record than Errani... but I would argue that is because Radwanska is a more capable player overall (IE she is simply more talented) as opposed to Radwanska having a clay game which is technically better than Errani's.
That argument is moot. Federer is the 3rd best clay court player at the moment, even if he does not adapt his game to clay all that much and doesn't play like your usual dirtballer.
If Radwanska has a better record on clay* and is more likely to win matches against Errani, than she is the better clay player.

*though that could be debatable
Simugna Help is offline  
post #59 of 85 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Senior Member
 
adner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,590
                     
Re: Chris Evert: Agnieszka Radwanska will be a serious contender for French Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTennisFan View Post
Radwanska very well may have a better clay court record than Errani... but I would argue that is because Radwanska is a more capable player overall (IE she is simply more talented) as opposed to Radwanska having a clay game which is technically better than Errani's.
Bullshit. If she has a better record then her clay game is better. It's not like Nadal has a better grass record than Federer.

And speaking of being "on top of her game", when has that period started for Errani? When she got her only 3 big claycourt wins? This year Aga has a much smarter clay schedule and we shall see how a hopefully not injured Aga fares in comparison with Errani.
adner is offline  
post #60 of 85 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 18,114
                     
Re: Chris Evert: Agnieszka Radwanska will be a serious contender for French Open

Sharapova also hated clay but she won Roland Garros. I don't think it's favorable for Aga but I would not count her out.
treufreund is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome