AO13: So would you say the women's final was more enjoyable than the men's? - Page 3 - TennisForum.com

View Poll Results: Was the women's final for enjoyable than the men's final?
Yes? 63 73.26%
No? 23 26.74%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 69 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2013, 05:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Annie.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,224
                     
Re: AO13: So would you say the women's final was more enjoyable than the men's?

Hell no.
Annie. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 69 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2013, 06:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,008
                     
Re: AO13: So would you say the women's final was more enjoyable than the men's?

Both finals were very average. Lets be honest Vika played the WORST she could possibly play, it was the only way it was close, some of the most diabolical serving I have seen in a GS final! The mens was just boring but I feel they had better matches (Federer-Murray & Warinka-Novak to name 2 obvious ones). Apart from Serena's loss, were there any decent QUALITY matches?

It was just an average tournament, enough really said. It happens, hopefully the FO is better quality (it usually is)

Maria Sharapova
Maria Kirilenko
Sabine Lisiki
Ana Ivanovic

Still miss My best player Elena Dementieva
Maria4Ever is offline  
post #33 of 69 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2013, 06:17 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 36,096
                     
Re: AO13: So would you say the women's final was more enjoyable than the men's?

I bailed as soon as Andy lost the second set TB.
edificio is offline  
post #34 of 69 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Patoranking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nairobi
Posts: 13,454
                     
Re: AO13: So would you say the women's final was more enjoyable than the men's?

They were both boring.
Patoranking is offline  
post #35 of 69 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,230
                     
Re: AO13: So would you say the women's final was more enjoyable than the men's?

I think the 3rd set between Vika and Na Li was actually pretty good tennis, but at that stage everybody was so soaked into the match by all the ankles, concussions, crowd behaviour and fireworks that it was hard to pay any attention to the quality. All you wanted was the "right" outcome in your mind. Nevertheless

Wertheim made a good point for once in his 50 thoughts:

[...]

• This will fall on deaf ears. It always does. But at some point a responsible, unconflicted adult (anyone? anyone?) will address injury-mania. The year is less than a month old, and the litany of injuries is already growing. Nadal -- knee/illness. Andrea Petkovic -- knee. Isner -- knee. Robson -- back injury. Hampton -- back. Kerber -- back. Kevin Anderson -- elbow. Baker -- knee. Serena -- ankle. The women's final resembled a UFC cagefight. This doesn't include the welter of players (including juniors) you see marching through the tunnels, bandaged and swathed in ice. After his interminable third-round match, Gilles Simon wasn't able to get from the court to the locker room under his own power. And he won!

Yes, injuries are part of sports. Yes, it's a physical endeavor. But something is seriously wrong when, four weeks into the season, the players are already yelling "medic!" Is it hard courts? Is it the polyester strings? Is it runaway racket technology? Is it the lack of standardized balls? Is it the rigor of five sets, which, I still maintain is both anachronistic and sadistic? Is it overtraining?

I don't know. But I know this: if I were in a position of power, I'd be a lot more concerned about the work conditions than the current leaders, such as they are, appear to be. And if I were an athlete competing without a guaranteed contract, I'd be more concerned with work conditions than per diems and courtesy cars.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ten...#ixzz2JFl4X425
[...]

So if you want better quality, you need to change the schedule, the balls and the surface.

- Caroline Wozniacki has never beaten a reigning world #1.
- Caroline Wozniacki has never beaten a top 5 player at a major.
- Caroline Wozniacki has not beaten a top 3 player en route to any of her 23 titles.
- Caroline Wozniacki has beaten two top 5 players en route to her 23 titles (#4 Zvonareva and #5 Schiavone)

-Her fans think she had very bad luck with her Grand Slam and Regular Tour draws.
Patrick345 is offline  
post #36 of 69 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2013, 06:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Talula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,502
                     
Re: AO13: So would you say the women's final was more enjoyable than the men's?

I think this poll is not reflective of the view of life outside this Forum! Azarenka's win barely made the press and I don't know anyone else who watched it.

As for the matches, there was no comparison. Novak was amazing. I don't think the equal pay issue will go away as the gulf between the two Tours is widening with each tournament.

Monica Seles Superstar. Her fans never forget.


Players I root for now: Heather, Laura, Lucie, Marion, Serena, Simona, Svetlana, Venus, Vika. And Caroline.
Doubles and Mixed Doubles are fun and underrated.
Talula is offline  
post #37 of 69 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Talula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,502
                     
Re: AO13: So would you say the women's final was more enjoyable than the men's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick345 View Post
I think the 3rd set between Vika and Na Li was actually pretty good tennis, but at that stage everybody was so soaked into the match by all the ankles, concussions, crowd behaviour and fireworks that it was hard to pay any attention to the quality. All you wanted was the "right" outcome in your mind. Nevertheless

Wertheim made a good point for once in his 50 thoughts:

[...]

• This will fall on deaf ears. It always does. But at some point a responsible, unconflicted adult (anyone? anyone?) will address injury-mania. The year is less than a month old, and the litany of injuries is already growing. Nadal -- knee/illness. Andrea Petkovic -- knee. Isner -- knee. Robson -- back injury. Hampton -- back. Kerber -- back. Kevin Anderson -- elbow. Baker -- knee. Serena -- ankle. The women's final resembled a UFC cagefight. This doesn't include the welter of players (including juniors) you see marching through the tunnels, bandaged and swathed in ice. After his interminable third-round match, Gilles Simon wasn't able to get from the court to the locker room under his own power. And he won!

Yes, injuries are part of sports. Yes, it's a physical endeavor. But something is seriously wrong when, four weeks into the season, the players are already yelling "medic!" Is it hard courts? Is it the polyester strings? Is it runaway racket technology? Is it the lack of standardized balls? Is it the rigor of five sets, which, I still maintain is both anachronistic and sadistic? Is it overtraining?

I don't know. But I know this: if I were in a position of power, I'd be a lot more concerned about the work conditions than the current leaders, such as they are, appear to be. And if I were an athlete competing without a guaranteed contract, I'd be more concerned with work conditions than per diems and courtesy cars.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ten...#ixzz2JFl4X425
[...]

So if you want better quality, you need to change the schedule, the balls and the surface.
And the men have to play 5 sets - it says a lot about the fitness of the women coming into a slam.

Monica Seles Superstar. Her fans never forget.


Players I root for now: Heather, Laura, Lucie, Marion, Serena, Simona, Svetlana, Venus, Vika. And Caroline.
Doubles and Mixed Doubles are fun and underrated.
Talula is offline  
post #38 of 69 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2013, 07:31 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Chrissie-fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 13,751
                     
Re: AO13: So would you say the women's final was more enjoyable than the men's?

For me the womens final was more enjoyable than the mens because of all of the drama and beause Djokovic vs Murray is my least favorite rivalry involving the big four. About the tournament as a whole I'm not so sure. It's hard to beat matches like Djokovic vs Wawrenka and Federer vs Tsonga. Still, I usually end up enjoying both events about equally and this time was no different.

Chrissie-fan is offline  
post #39 of 69 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,230
                     
Re: AO13: So would you say the women's final was more enjoyable than the men's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula View Post
And the men have to play 5 sets - it says a lot about the fitness of the women coming into a slam.
It says nothing, because men are physically superior to women and they haven´t played best of five since August either.

- Caroline Wozniacki has never beaten a reigning world #1.
- Caroline Wozniacki has never beaten a top 5 player at a major.
- Caroline Wozniacki has not beaten a top 3 player en route to any of her 23 titles.
- Caroline Wozniacki has beaten two top 5 players en route to her 23 titles (#4 Zvonareva and #5 Schiavone)

-Her fans think she had very bad luck with her Grand Slam and Regular Tour draws.
Patrick345 is offline  
post #40 of 69 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Senior Member
 
stromatolite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 31,108
                     
Re: AO13: So would you say the women's final was more enjoyable than the men's?

Neither final was very good quality-wise, but the women's final at least had some drama.

I quite like both Djokovic and Murray, but thought their final was a bit of a yawn really.
stromatolite is offline  
post #41 of 69 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2013, 07:46 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Chrissie-fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 13,751
                     
Re: AO13: So would you say the women's final was more enjoyable than the men's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
Neither final was very good quality-wise, but the women's final at least had some drama.

I quite like both Djokovic and Murray, but thought their final was a bit of a yawn really.
Well, they are both awesome players, but they are also a bit similar. That's why I enjoy their matches against Federer and Nadal, and even delPotro and Tsonga more than when they play each other. I can't get emotionally involved when they play each other because I really don't care who of them ends up winning.

Chrissie-fan is offline  
post #42 of 69 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 233
                     
Re: AO13: So would you say the women's final was more enjoyable than the men's?

I voted for womens. To me it was a crushed young talented player coming in who had to defend herself against a nototious mob. From the press to the disrespectful crowd, rigged draws, etc. All for no reason just absurd allegations because of the hate for a player, and promote asian tennis by helping Li Na win who got the experience of the other side of the coin: Supportive crowd, supportive media, cake walk draw. (note: initially I was rooting for Li Na from the beginning)

You could see a broken down Vica in contrast to a confident Li Na when walking to the arena. The first set reflected this as Vica constantly hit the net, made easy UF errors, that we never saw before. CLearly the dirty playbook was working. However what made this match great was this young talent in Azarenka sprouting from the second set to the third, her vigor, concentration, and confidence came back. You could see it in the intensity in her eyes when Li Na was serving to her, that she was ready, she wasn't going to give it to them, she had to soul search hard to find her game again. She thought back and won the match. Tears pouring out because she knew she knew what she had just achieved.

I couldn't be more happier with both the mens and womens results. Because I like to see the best players rewarded, and thats what happened imo. Although Murray played great tennis as well, I'm sure he will improve.
wtftennis is offline  
post #43 of 69 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Talula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,502
                     
Re: AO13: So would you say the women's final was more enjoyable than the men's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtftennis View Post
I voted for womens. To me it was a crushed young talented player coming in who had to defend herself against a nototious mob. From the press to the disrespectful crowd, rigged draws, etc. All for no reason just absurd allegations because of the hate for a player, and promote asian tennis by helping Li Na win who got the experience of the other side of the coin: Supportive crowd, supportive media, cake walk draw. (note: initially I was rooting for Li Na from the beginning)

You could see a broken down Vica in contrast to a confident Li Na when walking to the arena. The first set reflected this as Vica constantly hit the net, made easy UF errors, that we never saw before. CLearly the dirty playbook was working. However what made this match great was this young talent in Azarenka sprouting from the second set to the third, her vigor, concentration, and confidence came back. You could see it in the intensity in her eyes when Li Na was serving to her, that she was ready, she wasn't going to give it to them, she had to soul search hard to find her game again. She thought back and won the match. Tears pouring out because she knew she knew what she had just achieved.

I couldn't be more happier with both the mens and womens results. Because I like to see the best players rewarded, and thats what happened imo. Although Murray played great tennis as well, I'm sure he will improve.
You make her sound like Pollyana or Little Orphan Annie!

Monica Seles Superstar. Her fans never forget.


Players I root for now: Heather, Laura, Lucie, Marion, Serena, Simona, Svetlana, Venus, Vika. And Caroline.
Doubles and Mixed Doubles are fun and underrated.
Talula is offline  
post #44 of 69 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Senior Member
 
stromatolite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 31,108
                     
Re: AO13: So would you say the women's final was more enjoyable than the men's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Well, they are both awesome players, but they are also a bit similar. That's why I enjoy their matches against Federer and Nadal, and even delPotro and Tsonga more than when they play each other. I can't get emotionally involved when they play each other because I really don't care who of them ends up winning.
I think Murray is a far more creative player than Djoko, who is very very good at what he does, but unfortunately what he does is not very enjoyable to watch.

Murray was great against Federer, but maybe that took too much out of him, because in the final he looked pretty flat and uninspired to me. But I'm still hoping for him, rather than Djoko or Nadal, to be the dominant player in the post-Fed era.
stromatolite is offline  
post #45 of 69 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 233
                     
Re: AO13: So would you say the women's final was more enjoyable than the men's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula View Post
You make her sound like Pollyana or Little Orphan Annie!

Just putting into words what was shown
wtftennis is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome