How is the Australian Open viewed as a "grand slam" - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 234 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Senior Member
 
sweetpeas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,986
                     
Re: How is the Australian Open viewed as a "grand slam"

The US Open is one of the biggest revenue generators for the WTA ever year. It earns more money than the Australian Open. Therefore its more important to the tour.





U S O #1

Wimbledon #2

A O #3

F.o #4
sweetpeas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #77 of 234 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,970
                     
Re: How is the Australian Open viewed as a "grand slam"

How the fact that the US Open earns more money than AO is relevant to the discussion?
I used to think that Grand Slams are more important than Tour events because of its history, ranking points and the amount of money the winner would get. And AO is like 'the biggest revenue generator' for the players IIRC
Sergius is offline  
post #78 of 234 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Senior Member
 
T-rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,620
                     
Re: How is the Australian Open viewed as a "grand slam"

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Luv.Kvitty View Post
So Wimbledon and FO don't earn money for the WTA - only the USO and AO ?

Oh I didn't know that.


They all earn money. Some just earn more than others.
T-rex is offline  
 
post #79 of 234 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,016
                     
Re: How is the Australian Open viewed as a "grand slam"

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-rex View Post


They all earn money. Some just earn more than others.


Do you honestly believe that I meant the above answer? I was being highly sarcastic Mr Trump.

You only mentioned the AO and USO - you never mentioned the other two. Why not

BTW - I have been going to Wimbledon for years - a client of mine is on the committee - and they are debenture holders plus his wife is on the committee, so I know quite a bit of what goes on there.
PetraReeMona is offline  
post #80 of 234 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:21 PM
Senior Member
 
T-rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,620
                     
Re: How is the Australian Open viewed as a "grand slam"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergius View Post
How the fact that the US Open earns more money than AO is relevant to the discussion?
I used to think that Grand Slams are more important than Tour events because of its history, ranking points and the amount of money the winner would get. And AO is like 'the biggest revenue generator' for the players IIRC

Are you serious?

If you have a thread topic based on the legitimacy of a particular slam, how much revenue, promotion, popularity and buzz the major creates is certainly important to the discussion.

Its hard to have tournaments without sponsors. Its hard to pay large purses without real good TV rights deals. And when you have 1 of the 4 most important tournaments of the year not airing in primetime TV in the USA, China or Europe.... that's not exactly a good thing. Thats not exactly life sustaining.


To be fair, as I have mentioned within this thread several times before. There are two issues here. There is the business side of the AO open where it's certainly one of the lesser slams. And there is the fan side of the AO where apparently its very popular posters on this message board.
T-rex is offline  
post #81 of 234 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Senior Member
 
T-rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,620
                     
Re: How is the Australian Open viewed as a "grand slam"

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Luv.Kvitty View Post


Do you honestly believe that I meant the above answer? I was being highly sarcastic Mr Trump.

You only mentioned the AO and USO - you never mentioned the other two. Why not

Sorry.

On this message board with some issues, the ridiculousness reaches such high levels, I sometimes can't tell the difference.

In all honestly it was just an oversight to not mention the other two.


BTW.. please feel free to call me almost anything except Mr. Trump. He is a vile, terrible human being. I spent the greater part of a year donating and volunteering whenever I could, to help defeat people who think like him.
T-rex is offline  
post #82 of 234 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,198
                     
Re: How is the Australian Open viewed as a "grand slam"

Because the size of the draw and all the top players compete if healthy..... next.....

Venus Ebone Starr


Serena Williams

Madison Keys

Hantuchova
Tennisstar86 is offline  
post #83 of 234 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,970
                     
Re: How is the Australian Open viewed as a "grand slam"

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-rex View Post
Are you serious?

If you have a thread topic based on the legitimacy of a particular slam, how much revenue, promotion, popularity and buzz the major creates is certainly important to the discussion.

Its hard to have tournaments without sponsors. Its hard to pay large purses without real good TV rights deals. And when you have 1 of the 4 most important tournaments of the year not airing in primetime TV in the USA, China or Europe.... that's not exactly a good thing. Thats not exactly life sustaining.


To be fair, as I have mentioned within this thread several times before. There are two issues here. There is the business side of the AO open where it's certainly one of the lesser slams. And there is the fan side of the AO where apparently its very popular posters on this message board.
So? Do they have any problems with sponsors?
Doesn't the time difference between Melbourne in New York equal 16 hours, so AO matches start at 7 p.m. New York time? Isn't that primetime?
And, you mentioned that AO gathered less money than other Slams. What are the numbers of other regular events? Are there any tennis parks huge enough to host a GS tournament?
Sergius is offline  
post #84 of 234 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,198
                     
Re: How is the Australian Open viewed as a "grand slam"

anyway, for me AO is my second least favorite mainly because of the time of the matches with FO being last because I hate clay. I have a job so i cant stay up till 3 in the morning to watch a match...... I have been to the AO venue, I dont buy all the hoopla about it being an amazing atmosphere its much more compact that I expected, but Ive also noticed Aussie's tend to think everything they do is better than everyone else, but i guess all countries are like that.

Venus Ebone Starr


Serena Williams

Madison Keys

Hantuchova
Tennisstar86 is offline  
post #85 of 234 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,198
                     
Re: How is the Australian Open viewed as a "grand slam"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergius View Post
So? Do they have any problems with sponsors?
Doesn't the time difference between Melbourne in New York equal 16 hours, so AO matches start at 7 p.m. New York time? Isn't that primetime?
And, you mentioned that AO gathered less money than other Slams. What are the numbers of other regular events? Are there any tennis parks huge enough to host a GS tournament?
but the marque matches dont start until 11 so coverage usually doesnt start until then. and then when you get to the end of the tournament they start in the middle of the night.

Venus Ebone Starr


Serena Williams

Madison Keys

Hantuchova
Tennisstar86 is offline  
post #86 of 234 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,081
                     
Re: How is the Australian Open viewed as a "grand slam"

The players seem to love the AO, no doubt about it (a lot of them probably just enjoy getting away from the shitty weather in europe at this time of year).

Speaking as a tennis fan though, I just find it harder and harder to distinguish from the US Open.
wally1 is offline  
post #87 of 234 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:41 PM
country flag pov
Senior Member
 
pov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 31,786
                     
Re: How is the Australian Open viewed as a "grand slam"

I don't view it as a Grand Slam. 'course that's because I view a Grand Slam as winning all 4 majors in one year.

My only gripe with it as a major is that I think it comes a little too early in the year.

"These lifeforms feel such passionate hatreds over matters of custom, God concepts, even - strangely enough - economic systems." - Capt. J Piccard USS Enterprise

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
pov is offline  
post #88 of 234 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,198
                     
Re: How is the Australian Open viewed as a "grand slam"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally1 View Post
The players seem to love the AO, no doubt about it (a lot of them probably just enjoy getting away from the shitty weather in europe at this time of year).

Speaking as a tennis fan though, I just find it harder and harder to distinguish from the US Open.
This.

Of course the players love it. They vast majority of them are leaving cold winter temperatures to escape to Australia. "go to australia early and train? Its summer there right?" that wouldnt be a hard sell for anyone. lol

Venus Ebone Starr


Serena Williams

Madison Keys

Hantuchova
Tennisstar86 is offline  
post #89 of 234 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,198
                     
Re: How is the Australian Open viewed as a "grand slam"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian. View Post
Well that's based on my own observation from my circle of friends and the people I know and I have lived in 6 different countries, but yeah I might be wrong
you're not wrong... lol, someone just lives in their bubble. Noone knows what RG is. If I say Roland Garros people look at me like I'm crazy and then I have to explain about the 4 majors.... "theres more than Wimbledon?"

Venus Ebone Starr


Serena Williams

Madison Keys

Hantuchova
Tennisstar86 is offline  
post #90 of 234 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Senior Member
 
T-rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,620
                     
Re: How is the Australian Open viewed as a "grand slam"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergius View Post
So? Do they have any problems with sponsors?
Doesn't the time difference between Melbourne in New York equal 16 hours, so AO matches start at 7 p.m. New York time? Isn't that primetime?
And, you mentioned that AO gathered less money than other Slams. What are the numbers of other regular events? Are there any tennis parks huge enough to host a GS tournament?

If you read my earlier post in this thread it covers this in greater detail. But just to let you know, the WTA Final match aired live at 3:30AM in New York. Thats not good.
T-rex is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome